01. Atra Mors
02. Descent Into Chaotic Dream
03. A Tenebrous Vision
04. Grim Eloquence
05. An Extrinsic Divide
06. Requies Aeterna
07. The Unechoing Dread
08. Into Aphotic Devastation

They're baaaaaaaaack! Put on your battle armor Ahab and Esoteric, because funeral doom titans Evoken have returned and they're ready for war with yet another excellent contribution to the overlooked style from which they come. Apparently Atra Mors is the 100th album to be released on Profound Lore Records, and a fantastic celebration of such an event it is indeed.

If you enjoyed 2005's Antithesis Of Light, and 2007's highly-praised A Caress Of The Void, then chances are pretty good that you'll appreciate Atra Mors. The formula that Evoken have employed previously, that's won them so much appreciation and respect, doesn't change much here: the grim, haunting melancholy of the melodies, the crushing growls of the vocals, and the ambient elements are all there. But here's the catch boys and girls: this time around, Evoken's formula is split almost completely down the middle. Unlike Antithesis Of Light and A Caress Of The Void, which leaned more towards the atmospheric side of Evoken's equation, Atra Mors strikes an amazingly well-executed balance between the harsher side of the crushing riffs and growls and the more relaxed (but still imposing) side of the grim nightmares that the clean guitar, piano, and other atmospheric sounds conjure. To help cement this division, the band even took up the new task of actually setting apart two short ambient tracks ("A Tenebrous Vision" and "Requies Aeterna") between the other longer tracks of the album, to great effect: not only does it help with the spacing out of the sound on Atra Mors, but it also provides listeners with immediate access to the album's more atmospheric moments if they wish.

On another note, on Atra Mors Evoken seem to have taken a different approach to the structure of their rhythm delivery. The band's previous song-structures, especially on Antithesis Of Light, were more chord-based. Here there's more of a focus on actual melodies and Evoken actually rear up a few interesting grooves here and there, specifically in the middle of the title track, and with the very neat bass rhythm about 6 minutes into "The Unechoing Dread."

So, basically, on Atra Mors Evoken have stuck to the consistent method that's been working for them thus far, albeit with a few minor alterations. In a way, the 50/50 split between the album's heavy and melodic elements makes it more appetizing, knowing that you're not going to be pushed too far in any one direction, and that there's a good amount to digest from both sides of Evoken's personality. But other than that, and the more riff-centered songwriting, on Atra Mors it's the same band we've all come to love, the new volume of their musical saga being just as strong as Antithesis Of Light or A Caress Of The Void, merely in a different way. This is easily one of (if not the) best doom releases of 2012. Pick it up and listen to it in your backyard, under a dark full moon night. Sounds silly, but it works wonders, trust me.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 01.12.2012 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 60   Visited by: 332 users
02.12.2012 - 19:47
Merchant of Doom

They do have ties to funeral doom (some tracks have influences), but generally they are NOT a funeral doom band. Describing them as a funeral doom band is misleading. Not too difficult to understand. And I'm not getting uptight at all... We agree to disagree, but please stop insulting. It's childish.
02.12.2012 - 19:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Merchant of Doom on 02.12.2012 at 19:47

They do have ties to funeral doom (some tracks have influences), but generally they are NOT a funeral doom band. Describing them as a funeral doom band is misleading. Not too difficult to understand. And I'm not getting uptight at all... We agree to disagree, but please stop insulting. It's childish.

It's not my fault if you were insulted
02.12.2012 - 19:54
Merchant of Doom

Read your first post... you always do it.
02.12.2012 - 19:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Merchant of Doom on 02.12.2012 at 19:54

That's not an insult, that is exactly what I think the case is.
02.12.2012 - 20:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
How is that first post by JOOE insulting?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.12.2012 - 20:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.12.2012 at 20:02

I guess if he was insulted by it then it's insulting I must have hit a nerve...
02.12.2012 - 20:06
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Merchant of Doom on 02.12.2012 at 19:54

Since when do clear, concise points layered with a splash of tongue-in-cheek sarcasm mean insults?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
02.12.2012 - 20:16
Slayer666

This really is a great Death/Doom album.

*pours gasoline on the fire*
02.12.2012 - 20:18
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Slayer666 on 02.12.2012 at 20:16

....and then, the butterfly effect took hold, causing a tsunami to strike Indonesia. How dare you.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
02.12.2012 - 20:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

At least you didn't say "Doom/Death" then shit would definitely hit the fan.
02.12.2012 - 20:20
Slayer666

Written by Auntie Sahar on 02.12.2012 at 20:18

....and then, the butterfly effect took hold, causing a tsunami to strike Indonesia. How dare you.

Indonesia? Fuck, I was aiming for Japan...

Seriously, though, thanks for the review. There's a pretty good chance I would've missed this album if the review hadn't appeared on the front page.
02.12.2012 - 20:23
Raging Dreamer

I think it's simply the fact that he insists on having the last and final word. At least that's what I get from reading all this amusement. Yes I can hear death/doom but I can also hear definite ties/influences from funeral doom.

But the argument has already expended itself past it's viability. One thing's for sure though, if it keeps up, this review will be listed as a most popular topic in no time flat and Apothecary will be even more famous than he is now.
02.12.2012 - 20:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 02.12.2012 at 20:20

At least you didn't say "Doom/Death" then shit would definitely hit the fan.

well it is more doom/death than death/doom tbh

or... wait, is it more death/doom than doom/death?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.12.2012 - 20:26
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Raging Dreamer on 02.12.2012 at 20:23

if it keeps up, this review will be listed as a most popular topic in no time flat and Apothecary will be even more famous than he is now.

A man can dream
----

~ II. VII
02.12.2012 - 20:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.12.2012 at 20:25

well it is more doom/death than death/doom tbh

or... wait, is it more death/doom than doom/death?

I always thought doom/death would be doom-death, i.e. doomy death metal, and vice-a-versa. But then again doom/death could just mean a balance of both in similar amounts (which would make it the same as death/doom).
02.12.2012 - 20:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 02.12.2012 at 20:36

I always thought doom/death would be doom-death, i.e. doomy death metal, and vice-a-versa. But then again doom/death could just mean a balance of both in similar amounts (which would make it the same as death/doom).

nope, doom/death is more death than doom whereas death/doom is more doom than death.
it's quite simple the right hand head rule applies here. So the element the farthest to the right is the dominant one.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.12.2012 - 21:01
Evil Chip

Now I'm really confused about genres. I always thought this was Funeral
02.12.2012 - 21:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.12.2012 at 20:45

Written by Guest on 02.12.2012 at 20:36

nope, doom/death is more death than doom whereas death/doom is more doom than death.
it's quite simple the right hand head rule applies here. So the element the farthest to the right is the dominant one.

That's what I said pretty much : p
02.12.2012 - 21:53
Rating: 9
Reaper_Redeemer

Great album, great review....
03.12.2012 - 00:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Merchant of Doom on 03.12.2012 at 00:16

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.12.2012 at 20:02

Quote:
because let's be honest: small circle jerk at doom-metal.com is not the masses

that's not insulting? And tell me, Marcel, are Evoken funeral doom? I probably won't get an answer...

I wouldn't call that insulting.

And even though Evoken aren't 100% funeral doom they have more than enough funeral doom elements in their sound to be called as such. you can't call them doom/death, death/doom either since they also aren't that fully. They are a borderline band, so it is alright to call them either.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.12.2012 - 00:34
Merchant of Doom

Well, I find that quite offensive. Ok, I don't think I can put up with all this teen-agery stuff anymore. I'm glad I made a few of you (not Marcel, who's been really unsupportive - not that I was expecting it - and will be banned from d-m.com soooon - he might be pleased about that, since he is never to be seen... ) think a bit more about the difference between funeral and death/doom/doom/death stuff. That was my intention. Have a nice evening. It's been kind of entertaining, as usual...
03.12.2012 - 00:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Merchant of Doom on 03.12.2012 at 00:34

(not Marcel, who's been really unsupportive - not that I was expecting it - and will be banned from d-m.com soooon - he might be pleased about that, since he is never to be seen... )

not that I mind indeed. But I would like to know the precise reason for banning me over on doom-metal.com. Just for not supporting you? Weird reason, I'd say. I know it says satff behind my name there. No idea why though, just because I did a bit of proofreading years ago?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.12.2012 - 00:43
Merchant of Doom

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.12.2012 at 00:40

Written by Merchant of Doom on 03.12.2012 at 00:34

(not Marcel, who's been really unsupportive - not that I was expecting it - and will be banned from d-m.com soooon - he might be pleased about that, since he is never to be seen... )

not that I mind indeed. But I would like to know the precise reason for banning me over on doom-metal.com. Just for not supporting you? Weird reason, I'd say. I know it says satff behind my name there. No idea why though, just because I did a bit of proofreading years ago?

I was only joking, Marcel, you are the voice of reason... I have no idea why you are staff there... it was before my time!
03.12.2012 - 02:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It's funny someone talking about being "childish" when the adult way to conduct a discussion is to present some kind of evidence or at least construct a half-decent discussion of some sort. Turning up on a bi-monthly basis, spouting the same verbatim "you're wrong, stop conducting reviews wrong" then moaning that you're being treated unfairly or insulted is precisely what I would call a teenagery way to conduct forum conversation (because that's precisely what teens do when they don't get their own way). Nothing worse than someone who thinks their own opinion constitutes fact that requires no further elaboration. I'm fairly sure no advancement has ever been made that way.
03.12.2012 - 03:25
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Awwww I missed all the whiney bullshit :'(
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.12.2012 - 09:43
Rating: 8
Daniell
_爱情_
It's such a shame that a review of such a good album has been dominated by pointless bickering about genres.
03.12.2012 - 10:28
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Merchant of Doom on 03.12.2012 at 10:12

This is my last post on this thread.

Please, keep your word.
03.12.2012 - 11:03
Merchant of Doom

Deleted... can't be arsed anymore...
03.12.2012 - 14:43
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Guys Evoken clearly play metalcore... get it right
03.12.2012 - 16:29
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Boxcar Willy on 03.12.2012 at 03:25

Awwww I missed all the whiney bullshit :'(

This is why we can't have nice things.
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 9601 | This month: 7