Metal Storm logo
Blind Guardian A Traveler's Guide To Space And Time, worth the price?

03.12.2012 - 20:53
Windir

As many others I own a lot of Blind Guardian stuff and I love the band but is A Traveler's Guide To Space And Time [Boxset] worth the price?

The (impressive) 15 cds item costs 103 euros (134,50 $), so it's 6,87 euros (8,97 $) per cd. That's really cheap plus the megabooklet, the plectrum and so, it seems great but what about people that already have their back catalogue?

Let's check the boxset in detail:

Disc 1- Battalions of Fear (Digitally Remastered 2012)
1. Majesty - 2. Guardian of the Blind - 3. Trial by the Archon - 4. Wizard's Crown - 5. Run for the Night - 6. The Martyr - 7. Battalions of Fear - 8. By the Gates of Moria - 9. Gandalf's Rebirth (New 2013 Mix)

My "vintage" disc has the same tracks, Gandalf's Rebirth included. I like the 80's sound on the release. Not sure to want to hear an unnecessary remastered sound on it. verdict: not worth it.

Disc 2 - Follow the Blind (Digitally Remastered 2012)
1. Inquisition - 2. Banish from Sanctuary - 3. Damned for All Time - 4. Follow the Blind - 5. Hall of the King - 6. Fast to Madness - 7. Beyond the Ice - 8. Valhalla - 9. Don't Break the Circle - 10. Barbara Ann

Same as for their first album, same bonus track, same verdict.

Disc 3 - Tales from the Twilight World (Digitally Remastered 2012 & New Mix 2012)
1. Traveler in Time - 2. Welcome to Dying - 3. Weird Dreams - 4. Lord of the Rings - 5. Goodbye My Friend - 6. Lost in the Twilight Hall - 7. Tommyknockers - 8. Altair 4 - 9. The Last Candle - 10. Run for the Night (Live)

Again, same as the two previous. New mix? No thanx! Generally it ruins the magical sound on it, and when it doesn't it's totally unnecessary.

Disc 4 - Somewhere Far Beyond (Digitally Remastered 2012 & New Mix 2012)
1. Time What Is Time - 2. Journey Through the Dark - 3. Black Chamber - 4. Theatre of Pain - 5. The Quest for Tanelorn - 6. Ashes to Ashes - 7. The Bard's Song (In the Forest) - 8. The Bard's Song (The Hobbit) - 9. The Piper's Calling - 10. Somewhere Far Beyond - 11. Spread Your Wings - 12. Trial by Fire - 13. Theatre of Pain

What can I say, this is ridiculous... same three bonuses, same everything... well, maybe not. The sound is so low on the original release, maybe a remastered version would help... wait! that remastered version already exists, the 2007 remasters with 5 bonus tracks! so this version has 2 fewer tracks. verdict: not worth at all!

Disc 5 - Tokyo Tales (Original 1993 Mix, Digitally Remastered 2012)
1. Inquisition - 2. Banish from Sanctuary - 3. Journey Through the Dark - 4. Traveler in Time - 5. The Quest for Tanelorn - 6. Goodbye My Friend - 7. Time What Is Time - 8. Majesty - 9. Valhalla - 10. Welcome to Dying - 11. Lost in the Twilight Hall - 12. Barbara Ann

Well, this concert is magic, full of energy, perfectly executed songs, the audience is insane... I had the original but I bought the japanese edition that includes lord of the rings. The 2007 remaster also includes this bonus, but guess what this marvelous song is missing here! Verdict: Avoid this scam!

Disc 6 - Imaginations from the Other Side (Digitally Remastered 2012 & New Mix 2012)
1. Imaginations from the Other Side - 2. I'm Alive - 3. A Past and Future Secret - 4. The Script for My Requiem - 5. Mordred's Song - 6. Born in a Mourning Hall - 7. Bright Eyes - 8. Another Holy War - 9. And the Story Ends

This album is a timeless masterpiece, don't touch it! By the way the 2007 remaster has 3 bonus tracks plus 2 videos that obviously aren't here. Verdict: Unnecessary remaster.

Disc 7 - The Forgotten Tales (Original Mixes Digitally Remastered 2012)
1. Mr. Sandman - 2. Surfin' USA - 3. Bright Eyes - 4. Lord of the Rings - 5. The Wizard - 6. Spread Your Wings - 7. Mordred's Song - 8. Black Chamber - 9. The Bard's Song (In the Forest) - 10. Barbara Ann - 11. A Past and Future Secret - 12. To France - 13. Theatre of Pain

I had the original but bought the 2007 remaster because it has 3 bonuses (Deep Purple, Dio and Judas Priest covers) plus 2 videos that are not included here. Verdict: this version sucks!

Disc 8 - Nightfall in Middle-Earth (Digitally Remastered 2012 & New Mix 2012)
1. War of Wrath - 2. Into the Storm - 3. Lammoth - 4. Nightfall - 5. The Minstrel - 6. The Curse of Feanor - 7. Captured - 8. Blood Tears - 9. Mirror Mirror - 10. Face the Truth - 11. Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns) - 12. Battle of Sudden Flames - 13. Time Stands Still(At the Iron Hill) - 14. The Dark Elf - 15. Thorn - 16. The Eldar - 17. Nom the Wise - 18. When Sorrow Sang - 19. Out on the Water - 20. The Steadfast - 21. Dark Passage - 22. Final Chapter (Thus Ends)

I own a rare chinese edition with 2 bonus tracks (no big deal). Verdict: I think it's just the same but I would be worried about the new mix...

Disc 9 - A Night at the Opera (Digitally Remastered 2012 & New Mix 2012)
1. Precious Jerusalem - 2. Battlefield - 3. Under the Ice - 4. Sadly Sings Destiny - 5. The Maiden and the Minstrel Knight - 6. Wait for an Answer - 7. The Soulforged - 8. Age of False Innocence - 9. Punishment Divine - 10. And Then There Was Silence

Mine is autographed by all 4 original members, but the tracklist is the same. Verdict: If you have it there is nothing new here.

Live (Digitally Remastered 2012)
Disc 10
1. War of Wrath - 2. Into the Storm - 3. Welcome to Dying - 4. Nightfall - 5. The Script for My Requiem - 6. Harvest of Sorrow - 7. The Soulforged - 8. Valhalla - 9. Majesty - 10. Mordred's Song - 11. Born in a Mourning Hall

Disc 11
1. Under the Ice - 2. Bright Eyes - 3. Punishment Divine - 4. The Bard's Song (In the Forest) - 5. Imaginations from the Other Side - 6. Lost in the Twilight Hall - 7. A Past and Future Secret - 8. Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill) - 9. Journey Through the Dark - 10. Lord of the Rings - 11. Mirror Mirror

For discs 10 and 11 there is absolutely nothing here, it's just the same in everything. Verdict: etc.

Imaginations Through the Looking Glass - Live in Coburg, 2003 (for first time on CD - digitally remastered 2012)
Disc 12

1. War of Wrath - 2. Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill) - 3. Banish from Sanctuary - 4. Nightfall - 5. The Script for My Requiem - 6. Valhalla - 7. A Past and Future Secret - 8. Punishment Divine - 9. Mordred's Song - 10. The Last Candle

Disc 13
1. Bright Eyes - 2. Lord of the Rings - 3. I'm Alive - 4. Another Holy War - 5. And Then There Was Silence - 6. Somewhere Far Beyond - 7. The Bard's Song (In the Forest) - 8. Imaginations from the Other Side - 9. And the Story Ends - 10. Mirror Mirror

Finally, something new! For the first time available on cd: the coburg concert from 2003. Verdict: If you don't have the time to put the DVD you have the audio version... for collectors I guess.

Disc 14 - Nightfall in Middle-Earth - Special Edition (Digitally Remastered 2012 & New Mix 2012)
1. Into the Storm - 2. Nightfall - 3. The Curse of Feanor - 4. Blood Tears (new vocal mix 2012) - 5. Mirror Mirror - 6. Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns) - 7. Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill) - 8. Thorn - 9. The Eldar - 10. When Sorrow Sang - 11. A Dark Passage

Another interesting item, the nightfall album without all the interludes... Verdict: R U serious? Soooo unnecessary!

Disc 15 - An Extraordinary Tale (Live Rarities & Demos - Digitally Remastered 2012)
1. Welcome to Dying (Demo) - 2. Lord of the Rings (Demo) - 3. The Bard's Song (In the Forest) (Demo) - 4. The Bard's Song (The Hobbit) (Demo) - 5. Theatre of Pain (Demo) - 6. Trial by Fire (Demo) - 7. The Quest for Tanelorn (unreleased extended version) - 8. Harvest of Sorrow (rare version) - 9. I'm Alive (Demo)

Maybe the most interesting and worthy cd of the box, many demos and two different version of Harvest Of Sorrow and The Quest Of Tanelorn. Verdict: I'm not going to pay 134+ $ for this, plus many of theses tracks feature as bonus on the 2007 remasters!

Final Verdict: Apart from the beautiful digis and the impressive booklet with notes from the band, this is a total hoax! If your new to Blind Guardian or don't have many of their albums, this is a gem, buy it right away! But again, for us, old fans of the band this sucks hard!
03.12.2012 - 21:00
Lit.
Account deleted
Conclusion: You old fans are shit outta luck.
03.12.2012 - 21:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
We have band tread we can discuss it there

http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=7441
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.12.2012 - 05:46
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I'm not sure if I would get it, since I have most of their discography already. But maybe for some of the other stuff like An Extraordinary Tale and Forgotten Tales!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).