Metal Storm logo
Technical Death Metal poll

Original post

Posted by Stigmatized, 30.11.2006 - 23:36
I'm not an expert on this genre in any sense, as you can see by the poll choices. I basically tried to pick the bands that most seem to agree are Technical Death Metal. While I've grown to hate poll's with an "Other" option, I felt that this one needed it because one can usually argue whether a band is technical or not.

As for myself, I'm at a tie between Martyr and Psycroptic. Both are bands I was introduced to recently, and both are very solid. I guess I'll go with Martyr at this point. Their music hit me faster than Psycroptic's so I'll go with them.

What about you?

Poll

Your favorite?

Other
Atheist
Cynic
Psycroptic
Pestilence
Gorguts
Demilich
Quo Vadis
Martyr

Total votes: 165
04.01.2007 - 23:49
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
My favorite band out of those would be Atheist, but the most technical would have to be a band like Meshuggah or Cryptopsy or something like that...The others in my mind simply don't cut it. Sure, Quo Vadis is uber-technical in many places, but Atheist have technicality down to a key...are they really death metal though? Their first album was, they started exploring more territory...anyways, my vote goes to Atheist...
05.01.2007 - 01:35
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 04.01.2007 at 23:49

My favorite band out of those would be Atheist, but the most technical would have to be a band like Meshuggah or Cryptopsy or something like that...The others in my mind simply don't cut it. Sure, Quo Vadis is uber-technical in many places, but Atheist have technicality down to a key...are they really death metal though? Their first album was, they started exploring more territory...anyways, my vote goes to Atheist...

thaaaaaannnk you! That's one of my problems with tech death...like I even thought of a joke for it- Why are they called technical death metal? Because technically, they aren't death metal. Well, I guess that's not really true because there are many great tech death bands that are actually death metal, but I don't see how people can consider some "tech death" bands as death metal...such as Cynic...
05.01.2007 - 06:12
Endoftherainbow

I guess I'll vote for Quo Vadis just because they're my favorite tech band from Canada. Basically when it comes down to it I like all of the Tech Death Metal bands the same and I can't really choose which one's I like most because they all share mostly the same characteristics. All of the bands in this genre are fucking amazing. A couple newer bands that really stand out though are Psycroptic, Necrophagist, and Decapitated.
07.01.2007 - 11:56
bloodygore
Account deleted
I love all those bands... but I had to vote for the home-growns; Psycroptic.
Love 'em.
09.01.2007 - 19:55
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
where the hell is Nile??? i vote other Nile technique and brutallity are something out of this world
----
Stay Metal !!!
10.01.2007 - 02:56
Stigmatized
Written by Dreamwar_86 on 09.01.2007 at 19:55

where the hell is Nile??? i vote other Nile technique and brutallity are something out of this world

Nile aren't usually considered Tech Death, from what I've seen. They can play, they're great musicians. But I basically went with bands that are usually noted as Technical Death Metal.
11.01.2007 - 00:51
Ultraraw
Account deleted
My favorite technical death metal band is Atheist.All the guys in Atheist are great instrumentalists.Atheist is great band
05.02.2007 - 06:33
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
My Most favorite band on the list would have to be Psycroptic, but my most favorite technical band of all time is probally Necrophagist, cause they released two albums and its amazing, gets a bit pointless when you listen to it for hours, but is my favorite tech DM band.
06.02.2007 - 05:15
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Demilich easily for me.. These guys are among the best ever Death Metal bands around as far as I'm concerned..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
07.02.2007 - 12:18
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
I voted for Atheist coz they are the best among the choises but I would also say that Death are a good choise too but judging that they have a little bit of Atheist I voted for Atheist
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
21.02.2007 - 14:27
FabricationError
Account deleted
For me Quo Vadis is the best...They're technical and melodic in the same time and they have an awesome drummer....
22.03.2007 - 14:24
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Bands like Nile and cryptopsy are among my favourites although I like many bands listed above.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
24.03.2007 - 10:25
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
I voted for Demilich , i really like them .... NESPITHE is the real shit

Atheist , Cynic , Quo Vadis , Psycroptic , Martyr , Cryptopsy all are great !!
26.12.2007 - 10:04
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
its tough between atheist and quo vadis, but i chose atheist, but i absoluetly love qou vadis' Mute Reqium its so good!
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
26.12.2007 - 16:44
Abattoir

I vote for Qou Vadis. Great band...I watched them once in live, when Katakysm had a tour, and they played realy awesome, they exceed all expectations.
27.12.2007 - 01:10
Sonic MrSumo

Meshuggah for me...
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
31.12.2007 - 01:07
Ascalon

I vote for Atheist ... but ... why Death it's not considered a techinical or progressive band ?
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
31.12.2007 - 01:09
Ascalon

Even more, sorry for my ignorance .. but if exists a difference between technical and progressive .. what is it ? .. and I don't consider Messhugah similar to Atheist, Necropahigst, Quo Vadis, Death or Opeth ...
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
31.12.2007 - 16:31
Agellos

I voted for other,but only because I didn't see Quo Vadis
01.01.2008 - 23:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Agellos on 31.12.2007 at 16:31

I voted for other,but only because I didn't see Quo Vadis

a good one
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.01.2008 - 00:25
ArcanaHereticae

Out of the selection, I voted for Psycroptic. As far as overall, my favorite Technical band would be either Deeds of Flesh or Cryptopsy.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
02.01.2008 - 00:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ArcanaHereticae on 02.01.2008 at 00:25

Out of the selection, I voted for Psycroptic. As far as overall, my favorite Technical band would be either Deeds of Flesh or Cryptopsy.

since when deeds of flesh are tech death?
its brutal dead
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.01.2008 - 00:47
ArcanaHereticae

Brutal Tech. Death Metal is a way I've heard them described and they do have some technicality to them. Similar to the fact that I've heard Dying Fetus classified as Brutal Tech. Death.
Oh well. Either way, Deeds of Flesh is the shit.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
02.01.2008 - 01:22
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
necrophagist (other) gets my vote - theyve only released two albums, but both albums are so good... easily my fav tech death band
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
05.01.2008 - 08:22
deadset61
Account deleted
all those band were good but id have to say the best has got to be Arsis. no questions asked.
04.06.2008 - 02:58
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Martyr, tech death pioneers, gotta love the composition, the vox, lyrics, guitars. I find nothing weak in this band, honestly.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
04.06.2008 - 04:47
Metal_Militia

//Had to decide between Cynic and Atheist. It was hard because i really love both bands a lot but the only album that Cynic did was a masterpiece plain and simple. I just cant stop playing it for the life of me. Atheist has put out 3 albums that are awesome in their own right but i gave the nod to Cynic because for Focus. Can't wait until their new one comes out later this year and blows everyone away!//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

04.06.2008 - 22:30
Freezer

Written by Guest on 11.01.2007 at 00:51

My favorite technical death metal band is Atheist.All the guys in Atheist are great instrumentalists.Atheist is great band
agree with you, it's my favourite band of the genre
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
05.06.2008 - 12:04
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Atheist. I love the feeling I get from their music, I love that besides being technical their songs were also pretty catchy and didn't feature any pointless wankery, the technicality was in service to their songs, not vice versa. Also I like that Schaeffer didn't use a typical dm low growl and that besides having good songs they also had very good lyrics.
Then again, I'm probably somewhat biased since Atheist was the band that got me interested in death metal.

Pestilence would be a close second.
16.01.2009 - 19:49
Guib
Thrash Talker
Ok My fav Tech-Death of all Time Is Atheist

But dude don't you think you forgot to put one of the most influencial band in tech ? even if they weren't pure Tech in the beginning.­ and I'm talking about ''DEATH'' lol

anyways... to Me Atheist and Death are the best Tech-Death bands of all time
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here