Metal Storm logo
Technical Death Metal poll

Original post

Posted by Stigmatized, 30.11.2006 - 23:36
I'm not an expert on this genre in any sense, as you can see by the poll choices. I basically tried to pick the bands that most seem to agree are Technical Death Metal. While I've grown to hate poll's with an "Other" option, I felt that this one needed it because one can usually argue whether a band is technical or not.

As for myself, I'm at a tie between Martyr and Psycroptic. Both are bands I was introduced to recently, and both are very solid. I guess I'll go with Martyr at this point. Their music hit me faster than Psycroptic's so I'll go with them.

What about you?

Poll

Your favorite?

Other
Atheist
Cynic
Psycroptic
Pestilence
Gorguts
Demilich
Quo Vadis
Martyr

Total votes: 165
16.01.2009 - 22:12
Luciferion

My Fav Tech Death is Nile, i know some people don't say they are tech but for me they are.

They have the skill and are amazing players
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
16.01.2009 - 23:20
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by Metal_Militia on 04.06.2008 at 04:47

//Had to decide between Cynic and Atheist. It was hard because i really love both bands a lot but the only album that Cynic did was a masterpiece plain and simple. I just cant stop playing it for the life of me. Atheist has put out 3 albums that are awesome in their own right but i gave the nod to Cynic because for Focus. Can't wait until their new one comes out later this year and blows everyone away!//

...i agree cynic is an amazing band as such is their album focus but imo the new album traced in air isn't tech death at all, it's more prog for me and several friends think the same...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
17.01.2009 - 05:20
Metal_Militia

Written by nana.MD on 16.01.2009 at 23:20

//Had to decide between Cynic and Atheist. It was hard because i really love both bands a lot but the only album that Cynic did was a masterpiece plain and simple. I just cant stop playing it for the life of me. Atheist has put out 3 albums that are awesome in their own right but i gave the nod to Cynic because for Focus. Can't wait until their new one comes out later this year and blows everyone away!//

...i agree cynic is an amazing band as such is their album focus but imo the new album traced in air isn't tech death at all, it's more prog for me and several friends think the same...

Yeah...i wouldnt call it a letdown because it was pretty cool, but i was expecting something a little different to tell you the truth.
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

17.01.2009 - 18:37
benvolent

Silly question: is there any reason to call 'focus' death, other than that the vocals go clean and growled as well?? Simply don't understand - it's a milestone of course, it's prog, it's definitely technical, but I miss death a bit...
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
19.01.2009 - 06:56
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by benvolent on 17.01.2009 at 18:37

Silly question: is there any reason to call 'focus' death, other than that the vocals go clean and growled as well?? Simply don't understand - it's a milestone of course, it's prog, it's definitely technical, but I miss death a bit...

Yeah I agree with you on that..

I never understood why they put Cynic in tech ''DEATH'' I mean its not real Death to me
lol
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
19.01.2009 - 11:09
benvolent

Yep!

My favourite tech death band is still Meshuggah - I know them the best and love all of their records. They are seldom as fast as Cryptopsy and never as melodic as Quo Vadis, which would be my second choice, but they still have these absolutely weird structures and a perfect live performance!

Btw: Psycroptic is a quite nice band too - just checked them out, because of this poll. Heavy!
----
19.01.2009 - 12:39
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Decapitated is my fav, followed by Pestilence!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
19.01.2009 - 19:27
HugeTheConqeror

I didn't actually cast a vote, since I am not familiar with all of the bands here.

I do agree with the folks here that are arguing that some of the Technical Death bands are too much "technical" and not so much "Death." One exception that I would cite, though is Anata - great technical players, but still very brutal.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
19.01.2009 - 21:51
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by HugeTheConqeror on 19.01.2009 at 19:27

I didn't actually cast a vote, since I am not familiar with all of the bands here.

I do agree with the folks here that are arguing that some of the Technical Death bands are too much "technical" and not so much "Death." One exception that I would cite, though is Anata - great technical players, but still very brutal.

Hell Yes Anata are the perfect mix of both Technic and Death Metal ^^

On that I must Agree with you
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
20.01.2009 - 23:07
benvolent

Written by Guib on 19.01.2009 at 21:51

Yiiiihhhaaaaaa! Sounds good - let's try that!! =)
----
20.01.2009 - 23:08
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by benvolent on 20.01.2009 at 23:07

Yeah And tell us how you liked the band ^^
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
24.01.2009 - 07:27
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Where is Necrophagist in the poll? I'm just wondering, not complaining
----
Coldgrits
24.01.2009 - 22:12
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Necrophagist may be the best!!! Also Nile, but I don't now if I should call them Technical or Brutal Death. Thesa 2 bands are amazing. Every album of them is just great..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
27.01.2009 - 00:04
Metal_Militia

Written by SlaytallicA on 19.01.2009 at 12:39

Hell yeah on Pestilence man! Testimony of the Ancients and Consuming Impulse are both goldy. Cant wait for the new record. I think id change my vote around a little and go with Atheist. Too bad i cant. But my top three would go: Atheist, Cynic, then Pestilence barley behind Cynic
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

27.01.2009 - 07:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Metal_Militia on 27.01.2009 at 00:04

Hell yeah on Pestilence man! Testimony of the Ancients and Consuming Impulse are both goldy. Cant wait for the new record. I think id change my vote around a little and go with Atheist. Too bad i cant. But my top three would go: Atheist, Cynic, then Pestilence barley behind Cynic

This poll is about technical death metal... what does Consuming Impulse have to do with it? Testimony of the Ancients I agree, Speheres too, but Consuming and Malleus have nothing to do with technical death.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.01.2009 - 04:51
Metal_Militia

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.01.2009 at 07:52

Written by Metal_Militia on 27.01.2009 at 00:04

This poll is about technical death metal... what does Consuming Impulse have to do with it? Testimony of the Ancients I agree, Speheres too, but Consuming and Malleus have nothing to do with technical death.

Just commenting on Pestilence...chill the fuck out you old grumpy ass hole
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

31.01.2009 - 22:13
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.01.2009 at 07:52

HAHA where did you buy that Iron Fist of yours Marcel? You really need to relax a little....

Oh yeah...I vote for Necrophagist
09.02.2009 - 20:01
benvolent

Written by Guib on 20.01.2009 at 23:08

So, that took some time =) : I really liked, what I heard of Anata on myspace - perfect description and example for tech death to me! Sounds quite familiar to Meshuggah though.

Btw: tried Gorod today! Don't know, if they were already mentioned, and if they completely fit into the genre, but they make me whip on my seat...
----
10.02.2009 - 00:39
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by benvolent on 09.02.2009 at 20:01

Written by Guib on 20.01.2009 at 23:08

So, that took some time =) : I really liked, what I heard of Anata on myspace - perfect description and example for tech death to me! Sounds quite familiar to Meshuggah though.

Btw: tried Gorod today! Don't know, if they were already mentioned, and if they completely fit into the genre, but they make me whip on my seat...

Hell yeah man Gorod's good.. and damn I knew you would like Anata
Its such a great band, but I don't see how they sound like Meshuggah ?

but yeah Tech Death rocks !lol!
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.02.2009 - 00:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Why do people keep on mentioning Meshuggah here in a technical death metal poll?
They are totally not death metal. Most of their roots lie within thrash metal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.02.2009 - 01:01
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.02.2009 at 00:42

Why do people keep on mentioning Meshuggah here in a technical death metal poll?

maybe because on their band profile that's one of the two styles they play. for me they don't play Death metal but if someone sees that he will post here!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
11.02.2009 - 00:15
benvolent

Written by Deadmeat on 10.02.2009 at 01:01

maybe because on their band profile that's one of the two styles they play. for me they don't play Death metal but if someone sees that he will post here!!!

Yep, that's totally my case! I don't really care for the genres and I have never learned definitions at school (like some of you dudes seem to), so I just rely on the MS-profiles seriously and say, what I think. Concerning this poll here, I think, that the more important word is anyways "technical"!
----
11.02.2009 - 05:07
c0dBulgaria

Necrophagist.
09.03.2009 - 02:37
munson

Two things:

No Necrophagist? Strange.

Also, I voted for Cynic, even though their new album is more Prog than anything - they still own. It was a tough choice for me between Cynic, Atheist, and Necrophagist.
09.03.2009 - 05:11
Metal_Militia

Most of it sounds way more tech death than thrash. And where are you getting that their roots lie within thrash??? Im not saying theyre absolutely one genre and not the other but i dont hear anything thrash whatsoever.
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

09.03.2009 - 08:10
Derwood

I definitely have to go with Gorguts for the simple reason that listening to Obscura changed the way I hear music.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
09.03.2009 - 23:42
Metal_Militia

Written by Derwood on 09.03.2009 at 08:10

I definitely have to go with Gorguts for the simple reason that listening to Obscura changed the way I hear music.

Thats a pretty good answer my friend. Its changed the way i hear things in music as well. One of the greatest albums of all time
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

09.03.2009 - 23:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Metal_Militia on 09.03.2009 at 05:11

Most of it sounds way more tech death than thrash. And where are you getting that their roots lie within thrash??? Im not saying theyre absolutely one genre and not the other but i dont hear anything thrash whatsoever.

Just listen to Contradictions Collapse (or their demo and self-titled ep) that is pure unadultered technical thrash. And they evolved their into their current sound from there without ever using too much death metal. You might call them, although I hate the term POST, technical post-thrash.

Btw, the weird thing is that when they are referred to as technical death metal or death metal in 99/100 cases it is by Americans and Canadians.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2009 - 23:49
Metal_Militia

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2009 at 23:48

Written by Metal_Militia on 09.03.2009 at 05:11

Just listen to Contradictions Collapse (or their demo and self-titled ep) that is pure unadultered technical thrash. And they evolved their into their current sound from there without ever using too much death metal. You might call them, although I hate the term POST, technical post-thrash.

Btw, the weird thing is that when they are referred to as technical death metal or death metal in 99/100 cases it is by Americans and Canadians.

Hmmmm, ill give it another spin. Never really gave it the best of listens
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

25.09.2009 - 15:38
Guib