Metal Storm logo
Technical Death Metal poll

Original post

Posted by Stigmatized, 30.11.2006 - 23:36
I'm not an expert on this genre in any sense, as you can see by the poll choices. I basically tried to pick the bands that most seem to agree are Technical Death Metal. While I've grown to hate poll's with an "Other" option, I felt that this one needed it because one can usually argue whether a band is technical or not.

As for myself, I'm at a tie between Martyr and Psycroptic. Both are bands I was introduced to recently, and both are very solid. I guess I'll go with Martyr at this point. Their music hit me faster than Psycroptic's so I'll go with them.

What about you?

Poll

Your favorite?

Other
Atheist
Cynic
Psycroptic
Pestilence
Gorguts
Demilich
Quo Vadis
Martyr

Total votes: 165
25.09.2009 - 22:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guib on 25.09.2009 at 15:38

Lately Im really into Quo Vadis and Martyr.. Gosh Canada's music Ownz

When it comes to technical death you guys do have a good scene and long ago also influential with Gorguts.
But for thrash it's a bit of a hit and miss, same for black. As for doom... I can only think of Longing For Dawn I enjoy and Nadja for people who like drone more than me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.09.2009 - 22:45
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.09.2009 at 22:42

When it comes to technical death you guys do have a good scene and long ago also influential with Gorguts.
But for thrash it's a bit of a hit and miss, same for black. As for doom... I can only think of Longing For Dawn I enjoy and Nadja for people who like drone more than me.

Ok ok maybe our thrash isnt that good, but you cant deny the fact that (once upon a time) bands like Voivod, Annihilator, Anvil and Exciter were still rocking your balls off ? werent they ?
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
25.09.2009 - 22:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guib on 25.09.2009 at 22:45

Ok ok maybe our thrash isnt that good, but you cant deny the fact that (once upon a time) bands like Voivod, Annihilator, Anvil and Exciter were still rocking your balls off ? werent they ?

You forget Infernal Majesty. But that's why I say a hit or miss affair. The ones you mentioned plus INfernal Majesty were my favourites back in the day. But actually only Voivod kept on putting out good albums the rest went downhill quickly after their first couple of good ones. And unfortunately those are the only bands that released great thrash albums.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.09.2009 - 22:50
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.09.2009 at 22:47

Written by Guib on 25.09.2009 at 22:45

You forget Infernal Majesty. But that's why I say a hit or miss affair. The ones you mentioned plus INfernal Majesty were my favourites back in the day. But actually only Voivod kept on putting out good albums the rest went downhill quickly after their first couple of good ones. And unfortunately those are the only bands that released great thrash albums.

Yeah I guess youre right but at least we contributed lol ! and btw I absolutely dont know Infernal Majesty is it any good ? (obvious answer lol)
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
25.09.2009 - 22:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guib on 25.09.2009 at 22:50

Yeah I guess youre right but at least we contributed lol ! and btw I absolutely dont know Infernal Majesty is it any good ? (obvious answer lol)

Get hold of their debut None Shall Defy and the answer will be yes. Also The One Who Pointed To Death is good.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.09.2009 - 22:51
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.09.2009 at 22:51

Written by Guib on 25.09.2009 at 22:50

Get hold of their debut None Shall Defy and the answer will be yes. Also The One Who Pointed To Death is good.

Thanks for the Advice Ill try that out
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
28.09.2009 - 00:21
MetallicA

I Picked Pestilence. I think they're great! There were a few listed that I'm not familiar with and a few others I actually don't like.

I've seen Athiest a few times...umm correct me if I'm wrong but they seem like more of a thrash metal band, not tech-death.
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
28.09.2009 - 17:01
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by MetallicA on 28.09.2009 at 00:21

I Picked Pestilence. I think they're great! There were a few listed that I'm not familiar with and a few others I actually don't like.

I've seen Athiest a few times...umm correct me if I'm wrong but they seem like more of a thrash metal band, not tech-death.

Ill correct you since youre wrong ...
Atheist are like the founder of Tech Death lol... I guess you never heard Unquestionable Presence (one of the best tech death album ever made)..
the Jazz influence on that album and all the musical work behind it makes them Technical DEath
listen to the bass and the drum youll understand
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
29.09.2009 - 01:55
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Mine would either be Arsis or Necrophagist. I don't really see Cynic as Tech Death even though I prefer Cynic over both.
30.09.2009 - 05:06
MetallicA

Written by Guib on 28.09.2009 at 17:01

Atheist are like the founder of Tech Death lol... I guess you never heard Unquestionable Presence (one of the best tech death album ever made)..
the Jazz influence on that album and all the musical work behind it makes them Technical DEath

no I haven't heard that one. Their sound is very thrashy live though. I'm just going by what I saw! I'll check that one out though.
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
30.09.2009 - 15:30
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by MetallicA on 30.09.2009 at 05:06

Written by Guib on 28.09.2009 at 17:01

no I haven't heard that one. Their sound is very thrashy live though. I'm just going by what I saw! I'll check that one out though.

Yeah, I'm certain you'll enjoy it
well I hope so
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
01.10.2009 - 06:12
Shogun

I chose Other - Arsis. I love Arsis.
----
U.S.A. for Satan!
08.10.2009 - 04:43
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Death...Human/Individual
07.05.2010 - 17:54
JD
Account deleted
Necrophagist of course! but if i had to chose in this poll i will go with Pestilence or Gorguts
08.05.2010 - 22:18
The Voyager
The Table
It has to be The Faceless! Anyone on this board who has not heard of them needs to listen to them now! Hands down, the most creative and talented band I have ever heard in this genre.
13.05.2010 - 18:09
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
GORGUTS!!!! JAZZ FUSION DEATH!!!!!!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.05.2010 - 15:50
Edmund Fogg

The choice was hard but I finally settled for Augury.Gotta support the local scene plus the guitar and bass work are more tight than a none.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
01.07.2010 - 02:01
whatsacow

Atheist's unquestionable presence, death's symbolic or cynic's focus... it's a hard choice indeed.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
01.07.2010 - 23:02
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by whatsacow on 01.07.2010 at 02:01

Atheist's unquestionable presence, death's symbolic or cynic's focus... it's a hard choice indeed.

I wouldn't call either Symbolic or Focus technical death metal. Focus is absolutely weird, and I am not sure how to classify it, but progressive death is probably the closest. As far as Symbolic, it is about as technical as Iron Maiden.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
17.10.2010 - 06:00
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Cynic's Focus is almost a Progressive Jazz metal with some screams lol. I saw them live, they were quite weird.

For me, it goes:
1. Decapitated (Poland)
2. Death (USA)
3. Obscura (GER)
4. Necrophagist (GER)
5. Nile (USA)

Sure some are not straight Technical Death metal like Death and Nile, but they still are close. I've been getting more and more into this genre over the last 6 months. Love the wanking instrument skills!!!
17.10.2010 - 22:56
rational.gaze

My vote definitely lies with Necrophagist. Their songwriting is , well by definition technical, but not to the degree where they lose the listener. Awesome live as well.
----
.never.let.them.see.you.coming
17.10.2010 - 22:57
rational.gaze

Beneath The Massacre is a close second behind Necrophagist in my personal opinion.
----
.never.let.them.see.you.coming
18.10.2010 - 02:34
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Dying Fetus, please spare me the DF are not technical death metal kinda shit.. i hate to keep giving you guys private lessons about technical death metal and its elements.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
06.01.2011 - 16:46
JD
Account deleted
Written by Zombie on 18.10.2010 at 02:34

Dying Fetus, please spare me the DF are not technical death metal kinda shit.. i hate to keep giving you guys private lessons about technical death metal and its elements.

If Dying Fetus are Technical Death Metal band, then Nile, Cannibal Corpse, Krisiun, Suffocation, Immolation, are Technical, and i don't agree with you, like what i said in other forum that's not the Technical style, i don't even know why you think that they are Technical!?
06.01.2011 - 16:48
JD
Account deleted
Written by rational.gaze on 17.10.2010 at 22:57

Beneath The Massacre is a close second behind Necrophagist in my personal opinion.

Can't agree more, nice choice
07.01.2011 - 02:15
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
All those bands mentioned are technical death metal as well, however DF and Nile are probably the most technical ... CC and Krisiun and Immolation are more brutal than Tech.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
07.01.2011 - 07:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Cannibal Corpse have some highly technical songs. Pat O' Brien's music in particular, is usually very obtuse and technical. Whether as a whole they are "technical death metal" is debateable, but they for sure have some very techincal stuff. hehe
07.01.2011 - 11:27
Luneth
Account deleted
Arsis are a technical DM band are they not? Well, heard a couple of their albums and loved them, other than that, I'd say Cynic.
07.01.2011 - 14:34
JD
Account deleted
Written by Zombie on 07.01.2011 at 02:15

All those bands mentioned are technical death metal as well, however DF and Nile are probably the most technical ... CC and Krisiun and Immolation are more brutal than Tech.

Yeah i know they are technical specially CC and Nile, but not as a Technical Death Metal band, they sure use a killer technical riffs and stuff but it's ain't the Technical style "i mean as a genre"
07.01.2011 - 20:00
Kevorkian

Arsis all the way.