13. I'm Your Witchdoctor [John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers cover] [bonus]

Top 20 albums of 1977: 11
Featured in "Getting Into: Motörhead"

Additional info
Produced by Speedy Keen.

Guest review by
Tiago Rocha
Rating:
The motto was perfectly clear: ''to start the loudest and meanest rock 'n' roll band!'' stated Ian ''Lemmy'' Kilmister in 1975 shortly after being sacked from Hawkwind.

Motörhead is one of those bands that, for some odd reason, it sticks to us, clinging in a way that makes you feel stronger, that makes you fell loyal to heavy metal as a whole. They have an up-lifting mood. Motörhead has that might since the very start. Funny thing is, this was a combo dubbed as ''the worst band in the world'' by British press, even before releasing anything, after a bad opening for Blue Öyster Cult. Later on, the band recorded the single ''White Line Fever'' through Stiff Records; although the arrangement was to record the whole full length debut, the company released only the single on their own in a restricted 10 record boxset and on a various artists compilation. Eventually, their first official single turned out to be ''Motorhead'', released in June 1977 through Chiswick Records, spawning the band, charting them for the very first time, and clearing the path for full length debuting two months later.

Read more ››
published 15.12.2011 | Comments (2)

Found in 16 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 454 users
18.01.2013 - 14:56
Rating: 9
Steffanopolus

Too underrated
19.01.2013 - 21:44
megadeath13
Account deleted
I know some people dislike their debut but i like it very much. It has this typical rock´n´roll feeling in it which i love. Motörhead shows, that they rock since day one.
01.05.2014 - 05:06
Urban Cyclist

I'm sorry to see this album ranked so low. It deserves a higher rating than 20. Probably the most underrated Motörhead album.
30.04.2016 - 00:10
Rating: 7
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What's difference between this and ''On parole'' album? I did On Parole version, and well I did not like it at 1th but it has classic tunes actually track list has same
Motörhead is great song ... well will listen this one to soon , bad prodution, but its rock n roll album , but that bad quality works, analogue sound .... good one, I re open my eyes
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.04.2016 - 00:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What's difference between this and ''On parole'' album? I did On Parole version, and well I did not like it at 1th but it has classic tunes actually track list has same
Motörhead is great song ... well will listen this one to soon , bad prodution, but its rock n roll album , but that bad quality works, analogue sound .... good one, I re open my eyes
----

apos;'
[image]
30.04.2016 - 14:42
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Bad English on 30.04.2016 at 00:10

A couple of the songs are different, and it's a different lineup. Larry Wallis is the guitarist instead of Fast Eddie and Lucas Fox plays drums on some tracks.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
30.04.2016 - 14:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 30.04.2016 at 14:42

A couple of the songs are different, and it's a different lineup. Larry Wallis is the guitarist instead of Fast Eddie and Lucas Fox plays drums on some tracks.

I saw it, well funny that is not featured on MS
----

apos;'
[image]
01.05.2016 - 07:01
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Bad English on 30.04.2016 at 14:57

Written by M C Vice on 30.04.2016 at 14:42

I saw it, well funny that is not featured on MS

It's here, just listed as a compilation.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
22.05.2022 - 12:43
Rating: 6
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
So this is where songwriter and bassist, Lemmy Kilmister, previously from Hawkwind, kickstarted his ultimate career move, and so Motörhead was born and the rest is history.

This isn't the best if debuts imo, the production abd sound quality was pretty bad tbh, but what followed was Overkill, which is arguably Motörhead's best album.

The only tracks that really stood out for me are the one's previously released by Hawkwind, "Motörhead", "Lost Johnny", and "The Watcher".
22.05.2022 - 12:45
JoHn Doe

Written by AndyMetalFreak on 22.05.2022 at 12:43

So this is where songwriter and bassist, Lemmy Kilmister, previously from Hawkwind, kickstarted his ultimate career move, and so Motörhead was born and the rest is history.

it actually started a year earlier with what will become the album On Parole, which was shelved for 3 years, released, obviously, because the band found an audience.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
22.05.2022 - 14:02
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by JoHn Doe on 22.05.2022 at 12:45

it actually started a year earlier with what will become the album On Parole, which was shelved for 3 years, released, obviously, because the band found and audience.

That's true, unfortunately that On Parole recording has slipped past me, originally it was intended to be their debut, not the self title. Apparently it was released without their permission following the success of Overkill and Bomber.
22.05.2022 - 18:35
Rating: 8
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 22.05.2022 at 12:43

The only tracks that really stood out for me are "Keep Us On The Road", and the two he previously released with Hawkwind, "Lost Johnny", and "The Watcher".

You’re not a fan of the self titled track? That’s by far the best one on the album IMO.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
22.05.2022 - 19:19
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Written by Boxcar Willy on 22.05.2022 at 18:35

You’re not a fan of the self titled track? That’s by far the best one on the album IMO.

It's a decent song, after having a re-listen, I think I will swap it for "Keep Us On The Road", which I don't think is as good of a song, but I always preferred the original Hawkwind version of it though.

Hits total: 13899 | This month: 64