Metal Storm logo
Cathedral - New Album To Be Released In April

Cathedral are currently putting the finishing touches to what will be the last ever album from these British doom legends. Produced by Lee Dorrian and Garry Jennings, with assistance from Jaime Gomez Arellano, The Last Spire is scheduled for an April 2013 release via Rise Above Records.

Non-album track "Vengeance Of The Blind Dead" will appear as a flexi disc on the front cover of Decibel magazine in their March issue (on sale February 7th).

The band also recently shot a fantastic promo video for new track "Tower Of Silence", which will be available to view some time in January. The track will appear on an exclusive Rise Above Records CD sampler to be given away with Classic Rock Magazine towards the end of the same month.

The Last Spire tracklist:

01. Entrance to Hell
02. Pallbearer
03. Cathedral of the Damned
04. Tower of Silence
05. Infestation of Grey Death
06. An Observation
07. This Body, Thy Tomb

In related news, Septic Tank, a band featuring Cathedral members Scott Carlson, Garry Jennings and Lee Dorrian will make their debut live appearance at The Garage, Highbury & Islington on Friday 3rd May. They will be openning for Carlson's legendary institution of grind, Repulsion, who will be make their debut headline UK performance.

Septic Tank will release a very limited vinyl only EP titled The Slaughter via MCR Records, Japan, to coincide with the show. They will have a limited number of colour copies on sale exclusively at the event.

The Slaughter tracklist:

Side A
01. Fatal Eclipse
02. Forest Of Bones
Side B
01. Gotesque Cavalry Of Mankind
02. The Slaughter

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Cathedral
Posted: 18.12.2012 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 6   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 86 users
18.12.2012 - 15:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Fingers crossed for a weird, progged out psyche-fest like The Guessing Game, or a total throwback to the doom of Forest. With added flutes.
18.12.2012 - 16:13
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 18.12.2012 at 15:51

Fingers crossed for a weird, progged out psyche-fest like The Guessing Game, or a total throwback to the doom of Forest. With added flutes.

Weirdly enough, Forest also only had 7 tracks on it... I dunno if it was a deliberate move on the band's part, but it's hard not to draw the conclusion that it was. It's like the band have come full circle, ending as they began, with an album that has 7 songs on it. And Forest is their only other album that has 7 tracks on it. So... draw your own conclusions!

It appears that the album is too short to be the kind of eclectic, genre hopping fest The Guessing Game was, but I'd love it if that was the case. I won't grumble if it's back to the Forest style though, and I have a feeling that it might be just that. Shame that the non-album track is only on a flexi disc as I can't play vinyl records anymore! lol

It is bittersweet for me, as I'm really anticipating this album, but also sad because I know it's going to be their last. I just hope the album is awesome, and provides a fitting epitaph for our British doom legends.
18.12.2012 - 16:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 18.12.2012 at 16:13

Weirdly enough, Forest also only had 7 tracks on it... I dunno if it was a deliberate move on the band's part, but it's hard not to draw the conclusion that it was. It's like the band have come full circle, ending as they began, with an album that has 7 songs on it. And Forest is their only other album that has 7 tracks on it. So... draw your own conclusions!

It appears that the album is too short to be the kind of eclectic, genre hopping fest The Guessing Game was, but I'd love it if that was the case. I won't grumble if it's back to the Forest style though, and I have a feeling that it might be just that. Shame that the non-album track is only on a flexi disc as I can't play vinyl records anymore! lol

It is bittersweet for me, as I'm really anticipating this album, but also sad because I know it's going to be their last. I just hope the album is awesome, and provides a fitting epitaph for our British doom legends.

Well perhaps that Septic Tank band will turn out to be something Cathedral-like. I don't know any details on it though.

But yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they end their career in Cathedral.
18.12.2012 - 16:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 18.12.2012 at 16:15
Well perhaps that Septic Tank band will turn out to be something Cathedral-like. I don't know any details on it though.

But yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they end their career in Cathedral.

Well, I can't see the point in splitting Cathedral up if they're going to still play the same style of music under a different band name... that wouldn't make any sense to me. However, whatever style of music they play, with those guys in the band line-up, it'll surely be great stuff!
18.12.2012 - 20:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alakazam on 18.12.2012 at 20:09

Best 'next-year' news so far. Despite not knowing Repulsion, maybe I'll go to try and get closer to full housing my farewell setlist!

Repulsion are great. You should make a point of checking out 'Horrified' at some point soon. Great old-fashioned grind.
18.12.2012 - 22:40
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Yep, Repulsion are indeed awesome! On a related note, I find it quite funny, and a bit ironic that in the same year that Cathedral are releasing their final album, Carcass are releasing their comeback album after an abscence of 17 years. I still remember both bands being part of the "Gods Of Grind" package from Earache in the early 90's. And both are very iconic British bands in the extreme metal genres. Hopefully both albums are amazing.

Hits total: 3115 | This month: 4