Metal Storm logo
Sentenced

01.12.2006 - 16:39
Xaphiris
More than a year has passed since Sentenced split up. To this day on, I still hope, that they'll be back, that they'll feel the urge to sing again or even that the whole split-up is just a publicity stunt. I want you guys to write your opinions and feelings regarding them.
----
01.12.2006 - 23:51
danzig111
Account deleted
Usually I like my music to have a positive vibe to it, but though these guys are negative as fuck, it's like they make depression 'fun' . Because their songs were so catchy, I remember when I was much younger and far more insecure, I used to listen to them very very often. But now I only listen to them every now and then. I can't lie, they have a sweet sound
02.12.2006 - 14:59
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I bought the Buried Alive dvd yesterday it is so brilliant that they will rebirth I was at the very last gig " the funeral concert " one of the best concerts I've ever been
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
02.12.2006 - 19:16
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I love their "Shadows Of The Past" album, truly corrosive music, incredibly heavy considering what the band did later... the lyrics are very negative, and the raw, crunchy spirit of that album is very crushing... aboutnthe later material, only Amok interests me.
02.12.2006 - 22:53
WindMyth
Account deleted
One of my favorite bands, excellent in any aspect..
I like since they were Death, Suomi and Heavy.
Hope they join again, great band.
02.12.2006 - 22:58
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by Xaphiris on 01.12.2006 at 16:39

I'm aspecially looking for the reason they spilt up so please BE ACCURATE, don't go writing all kind of rumors and gossip or any of that shit. I want official, confirmed information and the source of it too. Please take the above seriously!!!

It surprises me that you didn't think of checking the official homepage then... That would be the first thing I'd do if I didn't know the reason.

Here's the "Funeral statement" from their official news:
Quote:

04.02.'05
FUNERAL STATEMENT

We'd better put this out in the open before you hear it somewhere else.

The title of the new album is "The Funeral Album", and with it we, SENTENCED, are coming to the end of our road. This album will be our last one.

The decision is mutual, thoroughly thought over and final.

Metaphorically speaking, this is a mass suicide of 5, and the new album is the kind of note we want to leave behind. One last time around for good-byes.

The decision was made during 2004. The reasons are many, and I don't feel any need to go into details here. I will say however, that everyone will walk away as friends. In my eyes we are even not splitting up, but ending our recording career together. And there is major difference between those two. Our wish was always to go out with style and at the peak of our so called success. I think with "The Funeral Album" we will do exactly that.

Once the album is released, there will be an undefined number of farewell shows. When, where and how many, those are questions that at this point remain open. Intense and long touring, however, will unfortunately not follow, and most of these shows will take place on festivals where we can reach as much people as possible at one time. At the moment it seems that all of these funeral shows will be in Europe.

If everything goes as planned, we will also make a live-DVD out of those last shows and include a lot of stuff from the past on it. Not to mention all the music-videos we have done during the years. The working title for the DVD is "Buried Alive".

After that SENTENCED is no more.

And: THIS IS IT. There will not be a re-union, come-back, or any other pathetic and soap-operish circus that seems to be in fashion these days. SENTENCED will rest in peace.

We will make the most out of the band's last year, and hope you will all join us.

See you on the last run.
/Lopakka & SENTENCED

So no, they will not be re-uniting and that is a good thing. Don't get me wrong, Sentenced is/was one of my favorite bands, but as stated they were at the end of their road. They left behind many wonderful albums but their last 2 or 3 albums were already showing some signs of running out of ideas. So it was better to stop then than after a few more increasingly bad albums. Of course that's just speculation when I'm estimating their quality but still... My point is that they had good reasons, whatever the details might be, and a mutual decision to end it. I cannot understand people who can't accept that (this is not aimed at anyone).
03.12.2006 - 00:08
Keoren
Account deleted
I hope, from the bottom of my heart, that the band is never revived.

Don't get me wrong. Sentenced is one of my favourite bands too, but they ended their career the perfect way and I don't want anything to ruin it. If the band members ever decide to start playing together again, the band should not be called 'Sentenced'.

Sentenced is dead.
03.12.2006 - 00:24
Xaphiris
Funny, I checked the official site last year, downloaded all their videos and pics, went through all the pages and dont remember those words... Maybe they changed over time but YES I DID THINK of visiting the official site [and did soo as well] Does that surprise you even more?
----
03.12.2006 - 01:44
danzig111
Account deleted
I think their best album was by far "The Cold White Light"! All songs are depressing yet there are a few that fucking make me laugh ....They are the only band that can write sad songs which cheer me up
03.12.2006 - 13:12
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by heresiarch on 02.12.2006 at 14:59

I bougth the Buried Alive dvd yesterday it is so brilliant that they will rebirth I was at the very last gig " the funeral concert " one of the best concerts I've ever been

You were lucky to get to "the funeral concert".

I was hoping someone would have the dvd as I wanted to know whether it was worth buying.
It seems that it is - something else for me to buy.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
03.12.2006 - 14:51
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by Xaphiris on 03.12.2006 at 00:24

Does that surprise you even more?

Maybe a little since that statement is not very hard to find.
03.12.2006 - 15:11
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Written by hanna of steel on 03.12.2006 at 13:12

Written by heresiarch on 02.12.2006 at 14:59

I bougth the Buried Alive dvd yesterday it is so brilliant that they will rebirth I was at the very last gig " the funeral concert " one of the best concerts I've ever been

You were lucky to get to "the funeral concert".

I was hoping someone would have the dvd as I wanted to know whether it was worth buying.
It seems that it is - something else for me to buy.
It is more than worth buying not only that " farewell performance " is perhaps best Sentenced concert there is but also the extras in that dvd is one of the best including videos,photo gallery,interwiewes, documentary and such

It is worthy Headstone for this band

I definitely recommend this dvd
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

03.12.2006 - 21:46
SirHooke
I've ordered my copy of the dvd, and it should be here any day now
and reading what you guys think of it just makes me even more unpatient
Anyway, I don't think they will rejoin ever, but they decided it should be so, so I believe we should respect their decision. And it is still better to quit while you're ahead, instead of selling out like some other bands...
04.01.2007 - 12:18
Bash'
:)
Great band .. from my fav.s ... emotional & great lyrics
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
05.01.2007 - 04:32
danzig111
Account deleted
were they REALLY depressed? Listening to them the other day, I realised that well, is their music really one big gimmic or what?
06.01.2007 - 00:31
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Guest on 05.01.2007 at 04:32

were they REALLY depressed? Listening to them the other day, I realised that well, is their music really one big gimmic or what?

I don't understand what you mean by this statement.

Of course they were not depressed all the time - very few people are.
If you are trying to say that you don't like their music , then just say so.

No I don't think they will ever get back together again , uunfortunately.
----
06.01.2007 - 01:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by hanna of steel on 06.01.2007 at 00:31

Written by Guest on 05.01.2007 at 04:32

I don't understand what you mean by this statement.

Of course they were not depressed all the time - very few people are.
If you are trying to say that you don't like their music , then just say so.

No I don't think they will ever get back together again , uunfortunately.

Indeed what he try to say

Thay are depresive lock to those videosin hp and you will understand it, ist werry depresive and lyrics and that sound what thay put together
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.01.2007 - 01:21
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Yeah I agree a lot of their songs were depressive , but they had some humour there too.

I'm particularly thinking of 'For the Love I Bear' - anyone who knows the track will know what I mean.
----
06.01.2007 - 03:30
danzig111
Account deleted
dudes, I've already stated that I listen to the band

but lately I have just been wondering, were they a gimmick all along? considering they described their breakup as a 'mass suicide'.
17.01.2007 - 21:48
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
they were great band, too bad they r "dead" now
to see them together again, i thikn that would be bad idea, they decide to split up, and now to re start band it wouldnt be the same
but we have old songs, a new DVD for goodbye of them
RIP Senetnced
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
17.01.2007 - 23:52
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
I think they were a great band. The first album I heard from them was "Amok". It is a strange but good album. Then, i kept hering the other ones n' I Know that Sentenced is a unique band.
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!
18.01.2007 - 23:03
SexBloodandMetal
Account deleted
One of my vocal influences come from Sentenced, I like alot of their songs, they have a really constant style, its admirable.
19.01.2007 - 16:44
miss_d
i'm just glad this chapter has come to an end
yeah they were good at times (only talking about the post-jarva era, mind you. - jarva-era is an entire own story and sacred ), and yeah I know many songs by heart, and they have done valuable work, not only for the musical landscape in finland - but when it's time to go, you should go.

and not come again, as it seems is happenend via the Poisonblack way *grrrrrrr*
the debut was so good.
the follow-up is so useless and so cliche-gothrock-sentenced that it hurts.
and i'm not talking about the cover (which was bad on the debut too)
25.01.2007 - 17:08
QueenMiSeRy
Account deleted
Sentenced were/are my favourite band ever, "from their cradle to their grave"; I prefer, however, the post-jarva era..Ville's melodic touch has been great, as his voice and as the cold athmosphere it brought to Sentenced songs and music were too. (My fav album's in fact The Cold White Light).

I appreciated their decision to leave at the peak of their career and without the idea of a possible re-union (even if I would like to see them one more time).
Then, I started to follow Poisonblack..their first album was great, I was glad to hear something "different", but Lust Stained Despair left me with a sort of delusion. Delusion because it seems to hear some kind of Sentenced, which is not Sentenced itself. It's quite sad, I think, even if songs aren't that bad.
09.02.2007 - 02:10
heresiarch
Forever Dead
This is it , THE VERY LAST SONG -- End of the road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKbPJ7dBzQo

I remember crying my eyes off
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

10.02.2007 - 00:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by heresiarch on 09.02.2007 at 02:10

Just quasten hawe you seen then live when thay still play death metal?
and whit old vocalist?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.02.2007 - 18:02
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I've seen them twice in 1992 kicking butt
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

11.02.2007 - 03:40
darksun
When Sentenced decided to leave,i feel confused.Hearing this has two effects.One side of me thought,they would never release masterpieces like TCWL,Crimson or Frozen.Ville would never make me cry with new songs(but he could do it again in poisonblack) or succeed in headbanging again with neverlasting or the suicider etc live....And the happy side of me said that they did everything they could do and i prefer an ended sentenced in spite of seeing them be an mtv or showband like new metallica.This was the most convenient term for their end.But still something bleeding inside of my soul and heart.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
20.02.2007 - 22:03
Carrion
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 10.02.2007 at 00:28

Written by heresiarch on 09.02.2007 at 02:10

Just quasten hawe you seen then live when thay still play death metal?
and whit old vocalist?

If I remember correctly, they played some death metal songs in the last gig, Taneli Jarva (their old vocalist) behind the mic. But I'm not sure about this, since I haven't still got the DVD
27.03.2007 - 05:32
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Ive heard a few Sentenced songs and I really liked them, but when I went to the band page it said 'Suomi metal' under styles.....which makes me scared to buy one of there albums, I would like to get a death-ish sounding album but I dont wanna end up with an album that sounds like HIM. Can someone help me here?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin