Metal Storm logo
Candlemass - Voted Best Band In Sweden Ever

Scandinavia's biggest music magazine, Sweden Rock Magazine, has voted doom metallers Candlemass the best band in Sweden ever. In issue 100 (to be released on January 8th), 40 rock/metal journalists have voted on the 100 best Swedish bands through time, and Candlemass came in as number one.

Bassist Leif Edling commented: "This is truly incredible. What an honour! After nearly 30 years of playing, we get this amazing award. I never expected it when they called me. I was totally taken by surprise and had to pinch myself. It could have been Opeth, In Flames, Europe or Entombed, but they choose us! I can't believe it! We must have done something right."

"We recorded some classic albums in the 80's, but other bands did that too. Maybe it is what we've done lately that gave us this award? The newer albums have all been very well received, so perhaps it is what tipped the scale over to our advantage when you look at the entire period? After 28 years in the business we still make great albums. This is an incredible honour that gives our career the ultimate reward!"

Leif smiles and continues: "I feel fulfilled and proud. Mappe, Jan, Lars and I have been busting our asses for so many years now, and it means everything to us, this award! We don't have to do long tours anymore, we don't have to release an album every year or so, we need no Grammy nominations. We have nothing more to prove! We are the best band in Sweden of all time, for god's sake! We can relax now!"

"Well... lately the phone has been ringing like crazy, so there's no time to rest just yet, hehe! We got lots of gigs coming up next year, the Sweden Rock Magazine party on Jan 25th plus a whole bunch of cool shows, including... hopefully... an Ancient Dreams special anniversary show in Stockholm next fall/winter. It would be great if we could do that!"

"So, a sincere and heartfelt thanks from Candlemass to all our fans that have stood by us all these years... all of you that bought our records and came to the shows... and of course all of the journalists that voted for us! We love you all!"

Number two on the list are death metallers Entombed with Europe on number three.

Both Candlemass and Entombed will perform on two special concerts at Sweden Rock Magazine's 100th-issue party at Debaser Medis in Stockholm, Sweden on January 26th, 2013.

Candlemass recorded a heavy version of Entombed's classic song "To Ride, Shoot Straight And Speak The Truth". This marks vocalist Mats Levén's first official Candlemas recording since he took over from the recently departed Robert Lowe. Entombed are doing a cover of Candlemass' song "Black Dwarf" from 2005's comeback album Candlemass. These covers will be performed live at Sweden Rock Magazine's 100th-issue party. Ticket information here.

Source: candlemass.se
Band profile: Candlemass
Posted: 28.12.2012 by Account deleted

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 65   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 246 users
28.12.2012 - 12:44
Warman
Erotic Stains
Cool. Seems I have to buy this issue of Sweden Rock then.
----
28.12.2012 - 12:59
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Best Swedish band ever? Really? Even without my bias towards Sinergy and Therion I don't believe it.
I bet some Opeth fans are gonna be pissed. (I assume Abba wasn't considered, considering they're the top selling Swedish band)
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
28.12.2012 - 13:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by M C Vice on 28.12.2012 at 12:59

Best Swedish band ever? Really? Even without my bias towards Sinergy and Therion I don't believe it.
I bet some Opeth fans are gonna be pissed. (I assume Abba wasn't considered, considering they're the top selling Swedish band)

Sinergy is from Finland, not Sweden
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 13:20
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 13:12

Formed in Sewden. One of the two founding members was Swedish. Based in Sweden for their first 2 years. 3/5 of the first lineup was Swedish. Beware The Heavens was Swedish.
I know they're listed here as Finnish and were based there from late 99 (Considering the lineup and sound change you could almost call them 2 separate bands) but they were originally Swedish. Like the BeeGees were Australian, not British (which I've seen a few times) and the good Aussie tradition of claiming any famous Kiwi as our own.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
28.12.2012 - 13:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by M C Vice on 28.12.2012 at 13:20

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 13:12

Formed in Sewden. One of the two founding members was Swedish. Based in Sweden for their first 2 years. 3/5 of the first lineup was Swedish. Beware The Heavens was Swedish.
I know they're listed here as Finnish and were based there from late 99 (Considering the lineup and sound change you could almost call them 2 separate bands) but they were originally Swedish. Like the BeeGees were Australian, not British (which I've seen a few times) and the good Aussie tradition of claiming any famous Kiwi as our own.

MA also lists them as FInnish and as location Helsinki And as far as I know there aren't any Swedes part of the band any more.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 14:00
gid
Written by M C Vice on 28.12.2012 at 13:20
Like the BeeGees were Australian, not British (which I've seen a few times) and the good Aussie tradition of claiming any famous Kiwi as our own.

Sorry, want to nitpick here: the BeeGees were formed while the brothers were living in Australia, but none of them are Australian by nationality. That and the bulk of their work was done while they were based in Britain. I think that qualifies them as British.

You get to claim AC/DC and Rose Tattoo. And you can have Rolf Harris back as well if you like.
28.12.2012 - 14:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Concerning the Beegees, they are indeed English

" Born in the Isle of Man to English parents, the Gibb brothers lived their first few years in Chorlton, Manchester, England, then moved in the late 1950s to Redcliffe, Queensland, Australia, where they began their music careers.[1] After achieving their first chart success in Australia with "Spicks and Specks" (their 12th single), they returned to the United Kingdom in January 1967 where producer Robert Stigwood began promoting them to a worldwide audience."
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 14:26
BudDa
elite
None of those. Unless ofcourse its the best bands in Sweden right now. Otherwise the best band ever in Sweden is Abba. Followed by those guys who sung "I saw the Sign". Seriously! Who doesn't know this?
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
28.12.2012 - 14:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by BudDa on 28.12.2012 at 14:26

None of those. Unless ofcourse its the best bands in Sweden right now. Otherwise the best band ever in Sweden is Abba. Followed by those guys who sung "I saw the Sign". Seriously! Who doesn't know this?

Abba are terrible in my books.

Mmm I don't know " I saw the sign"
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 14:33
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Probably Ace Of Base

But this is a rock magazine, so it's normal they focus on those bands instead of Abba.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
28.12.2012 - 14:34
BudDa
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 14:28

Oh comeon Marcel! What did Abba ever do to U?

Lol. "I Saw The Sign" was done by Ace Of Base..
----
28.12.2012 - 14:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Fuck Abba....
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.12.2012 - 14:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by BudDa on 28.12.2012 at 14:34

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 14:28

Oh comeon Marcel! What did Abba ever do to U?

Lol. "I Saw The Sign" was done by Ace Of Base..

I know Ace Of Base, but not that song hahahaha

Abba never did anything to me except for releasing SHIT music.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 14:40
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I think it says a lot about Sweden, that a mainstream rock publication features two extreme metal acts as the greatest ever Swedish bands. In most other parts of the world, bands like Candlemass and Entombed probably wouldn't even feature at alll in any mainstream "best bands" poll, let alone top it. So kudos to Sweden for giving those bands the respect they deserve!
28.12.2012 - 14:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.12.2012 at 14:40

I think it says a lot about Sweden, that a mainstream rock publication features two extreme metal acts as the greatest ever Swedish bands. In most other parts of the world, bands like Candlemass and Entombed probably wouldn't even feature at alll in any mainstream "best bands" poll, let alone top it. So kudos to Sweden for giving those bands the respect they deserve!

since when are Candlemass an extreme metal act?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 14:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 14:41

Doom is generally regarded as an extreme genre, and most certainly in a publication called "Classic Rock". Europe are at 3, Entombed and Candlemass are at 2 and 1.... are Candlemass extreme compared to bands like Europe? Of course they are!

In these days, where there are more extreme sub-genres of doom around, then Candlemass aren't really extreme in that regard. But this has to be taken in context.
28.12.2012 - 14:47
BudDa
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 14:35

I know Ace Of Base, but not that song hahahaha

Really?! Wasn't it like their biggest hit?Lol.

erm "(I Saw)The Sign" was to Ace Of Base kinda like "Ride On Time" was to Black Box
----
28.12.2012 - 14:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
The only Ace Of Base song I know is that "all that she wants, is another baby" song...
28.12.2012 - 14:50
BudDa
elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.12.2012 at 14:34

Fuck Abba....

Lol. TAKE THAT BACK!
----
28.12.2012 - 14:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.12.2012 at 14:47

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 14:41

Doom is generally regarded as an extreme genre, and most certainly in a publication called "Classic Rock". Europe are at 3, Entombed and Candlemass are at 2 and 1.... are Candlemass extreme compared to bands like Europe? Of course they are!

In these days, where there are more extreme sub-genres of doom around, then Candlemass aren't really extreme in that regard. But this has to be taken in context.

Doom has never been regarded as extreme metal except for some extreme doom.
Back in the day when Candlemass started they were regarded as melodic metal, same for Trouble and such.
Even in context Candlemass don't play any sort of extreme metal.
Europe's first two are almost as heavy.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 14:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 14:54
Doom has never been regarded as extreme metal except for some extreme doom.
Back in the day when Candlemass started they were regarded as melodic metal, same for Trouble and such.
Even in context Candlemass don't play any sort of extreme metal.
Europe's first two are almost as heavy.

What? I can honestly say I've never heard of Candlemass being reffered to as "melodic metal". Anyhows, I could be wrong, but the more extreme versions of doom didn't exist when Candlemass first started...

I hope you're not going to try and insinuate now that "Left Hand Path" and "Clandestine" are not extreme metal albums.
28.12.2012 - 15:15
PocketMetal
I like Pain of Salvation and Opeth better , but I have high respect for Candlemass .
Diablo Swing Orchestra should be on the top 10 years from now
28.12.2012 - 16:11
Slayerus23
Account deleted
Best band in Sweden was ABBA imo.
28.12.2012 - 16:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It's just a shame Candlemass ended their recording career on an all-time low.
28.12.2012 - 16:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 28.12.2012 at 16:16

It's just a shame Candlemass ended their recording career on an all-time low.

abolutely 110% true
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 16:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.12.2012 at 14:59

What? I can honestly say I've never heard of Candlemass being reffered to as "melodic metal". Anyhows, I could be wrong, but the more extreme versions of doom didn't exist when Candlemass first started...

nobody was saying more extreme doom existed when Candlemass first started, I am just saying Candlemass or any other doom band such as Trouble were never considered extreme metal back in the day when they started, just normal melodic metal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 16:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Actually Dream Death started off around the same time as Candlemass so there was extreme doom around
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 16:37
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Kinda surprises me that they chose Candlemass over Bathory
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
28.12.2012 - 16:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Auntie Sahar on 28.12.2012 at 16:37

Bathory has a lot more crappy albums than Candlemass, even though Candlemass' last one was kinda shite
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 16:51
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 16:40

Written by Auntie Sahar on 28.12.2012 at 16:37

Bathory has a lot more crappy albums than Candlemass, even though Candlemass' last one was kinda shite

Yeah, but as far as which band contributed more to the development of Swedish metal as a whole, it's gotta be Bathory. But that's alright though, because really, how often do bands get the credit they're fully do?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII

Hits total: 5898 | This month: 19