Metal Storm logo
Album Recommendations 2013 - Non-Metal

Original post

Posted by IronAngel, 01.01.2013 - 15:12
!J.O.O.E.! stole my topic two years in a row now, so I'll steal his!

I couldn't ask for a better start. My all-time favorite slowcore band, Low, are coming up with a new album and it's already leaked.

08.03.2013 - 05:54
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.03.2013 - 07:11
Edmund Fogg

Time to sitback, pour youlself some fine alcool, dim the lights and let the music flow trought you.

K-Def - One Man Band

Bandcamp

And now is the time to shit your pants with yet another golden Etreme Evperimental Noise release from Crucial Blast Records

Actuary - The Reality Is The Dream Is Dead

Bandcamp
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
15.03.2013 - 06:29
spirit_inblack
harshhead
The new Prurient album is very fucking good and continues with the techno elements he has been fiddling with lately.

25.03.2013 - 23:50
Saiyanity

Not exactly sure what to call this, R&B/Soul beats maybe? If someone knows the proper classification let me know. Not all that familiar with this kind of music really as it's not really something I'd usually be into, but this is intoxicating. The album artwork is wonderful as well.

Bandcamp
26.03.2013 - 00:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by spirit_inblack on 15.03.2013 at 06:29

The new Prurient album is very fucking good and continues with the techno elements he has been fiddling with lately.

That sounds great. Hoping for another Bermuda Drain. Cheers for the heads up on this.
26.03.2013 - 05:34
Edmund Fogg

Written by Saiyanity on 25.03.2013 at 23:50

Not exactly sure what to call this, R&B/Soul beats maybe? If someone knows the proper classification let me know. Not all that familiar with this kind of music really as it's not really something I'd usually be into, but this is intoxicating. The album artwork is wonderful as well.

Was about to suggest this as well. A must have for any smooth music fan. I don't know what to call it, but it's sure ranking up pretty high on my list of 2013s best.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
29.03.2013 - 07:35
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Damn, I don't know why I neglected to mention it in my previous post, but the latest Giles Corey ep "Hinterkaifeck" brings on the gloom like only Giles Corey can. The first song is especially great (and those lyrics!). Support the gloom.
29.03.2013 - 12:50
IronAngel

Written by spirit_inblack on 29.03.2013 at 07:35

Damn, I don't know why I neglected to mention it in my previous post, but the latest Giles Corey ep "Hinterkaifeck" brings on the gloom like only Giles Corey can. The first song is especially great (and those lyrics!). Support the gloom.

Oh great. Better than the ambient album last year.

Some great contemporary folk/slowcore from singer-songwriter Lotte Kestner (Anna-Lynne Williams), formerly of Trespassers William:

A new album from the dream pop/folk artist Benoît Pioulard (Giles Corey fans might like him, though he's not gloomy):

The Finnish garage pop band Pintandwefall went pretty artsy on their fourth album. Unfortunately the only track on YouTube is like the weakest track on the album and not representative of it at all, but I suggest you check out When I Make a Sound, Into the Blind, Colin, or Five Years on Spotify:

Katie Crutchfield released one of the angstiest, most intimate albums of 2012. The second Waxahatchee album is more of a band affair, with a bassist and drummer accompanying her. It's not as good, but her voice is still a treat:

Some fun math rock/noise pop from Marnie Stern:

Old Gray play heartfelt emo/screamo on their debut LP. Post-rock fans pay attention:

I assume everyone's already heard it, but here's some new Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds anyway. Love Ellis' strings on this one:
03.04.2013 - 05:18
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YB2ysrXgvw

Pop punk from Oregon. Great stuff.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.04.2013 - 13:03
IronAngel

The Knife streaming their new album. Going to be one of the biggest albums of the year - which is something, given MBV, David Bowie and Nick Cave all released new albums.

http://theknife.net/
15.04.2013 - 16:50
Demerzel

Igorrr's new side project. Pretty chill compared to his twitchy Igorrr stuff. Trip-Hop, Baroque.
17.04.2013 - 01:23
Saiyanity

Cynic EP by Sister Crayon; Experimental Hip Hop with haunting female vocals and an oft times heavy almost oppressive atmosphere.

Bandcamp
23.04.2013 - 21:42
Saiyanity

Halos, one of my all-time favorite bands, just released a 4 song acoustic EP. Great stuff, check it out. These guys certainly deserve more attention.

Souncloud
24.04.2013 - 00:29
Candlemass
Defaeco
Autechre - Exai

Humble Grumble - Guzzle It Up!

The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
25.04.2013 - 22:43
The Turbanator

New Daft Punk single sounds quite excellent. Can't wait for this album.

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
25.04.2013 - 23:21
The Turbanator

Also, anyone here heard of Andrew Bayer? I'm addicted to his music. Progressive house at his best.

This is his famous tune :

and new one coming up soon. Teaser released :

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
29.04.2013 - 00:18
IronAngel

All you drone and shoegaze fans must hear the new Implodes. It's as good as the previous album. Hazy and somewhat psychedelic stuff with hissing drones and soft walls of noise covering gloomy shoegaze pieces. Their components aren't exactly original, but they manage to mix them into a really distinctive blend. This is one of the less ambient and shapeless pieces and it almost reminds me of Jesu or something:

29.04.2013 - 07:45
Void Eater
Account deleted

Too lazy to see if this has been posted, doubt it has, The Story So Far's new album which dropped last March is currently holding album of the year for me. Pop punk with a mild amount of post hardcore/emo on some of the songs.
30.04.2013 - 21:54
togo95

01.05.2013 - 00:04
Saiyanity

Written by IronAngel on 29.04.2013 at 00:18

All you drone and shoegaze fans must hear the new Implodes. It's as good as the previous album. Hazy and somewhat psychedelic stuff with hissing drones and soft walls of noise covering gloomy shoegaze pieces. Their components aren't exactly original, but they manage to mix them into a really distinctive blend. This is one of the less ambient and shapeless pieces and it almost reminds me of Jesu or something:

Thanks for this. Great stuff.
08.05.2013 - 14:01
Paz

Savages and their debut "Silence Yourself" is by far the best non-metal thing I've heard all year. In short it's post-punk with damn good female vocals.

09.05.2013 - 02:57
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by IronAngel on 29.04.2013 at 00:18

Mmmm that's good. Thanks.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.05.2013 - 16:12
Deadsoulman

The new Barn Owl is pretty fantastic:

Also, nice to see there's a new Eluvium around.
10.05.2013 - 19:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Deadsoulman on 10.05.2013 at 16:12

The new Barn Owl is pretty fantastic:

You beauty, I've been waiting for this.
12.05.2013 - 23:20
IronAngel

It's pretty good, though I wouldn't rank it among their best. More ambient than before, perhaps. Not as earthy (or Earthy) as From Our Mouths a Perpetual Light or The Conjurer, which are probably my favorites. Still, quality stuff.

You should definitely check out the new Pan?American too.

13.05.2013 - 00:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well Barn Owl's drone elements have always been few and far between, so not a huge difference this being purely ambient. That said, it's really quite nuanced and enjoyable stuff. Very nice album.
14.05.2013 - 15:00
Góral
Combo Breaker
"Ocean Rift" by Seas of Years - a new great music project by Jari Lindolm (Atoma, Enshine, ex-Slumber). A quintessential post-rock experience:

Bandcamp
30.05.2013 - 18:49
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Funeral For A Friend - Conduit

Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob

Millionaires - Tonight

30 Seconds To Mars - Love Lust Faith + Dreams

05.06.2013 - 17:32
Paz

DAT DRUMS!

08.06.2013 - 19:22
Deadsoulman

Some guy recommended this in reference to Ludovico Einaudi (possibly on last.fm, don't remember). There are indeed similarities, except this is a bit more post-rocky. Anyway, it totally fulfills my need for piano-based music. A Veil Of Water: