Metal Storm logo
Losing Interest In Metal

Original post

Posted by Oaken, 10.01.2013 - 00:44
There's something really weird happening to me. Despite enjoying metal to the fullest a few months back, I feel I've lost the love of it. For example, I haven't listened to a new album in a month or two. Recently, even my favorite tracks fail to please me. I would play some of my favorite stuff and two minutes later I would just put it off and really get bored of it. I still love music, but I simply don't feel like listening at all. Is this normal? Has this phase ended? Or is it something else? If there are any specific things that can reignite my interest in the music, I would be very grateful if you share them with me.
Thanks a lot.
10.01.2013 - 18:19
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by psykometal on 10.01.2013 at 10:07

Written by Bad English on 10.01.2013 at 01:09

man you're 16 years old its normal at your age, it will come beck soon
maybe you have problems, depresion, some girl what you like

Did anybody notice that K7/BE typed almost perfect pretty good English here for a change?

Come beck. Plz come beck
10.01.2013 - 19:03
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by X-Ray Rod on 10.01.2013 at 01:09

DON'T TRY.

Wanna enjoy music again? Stop fucking trying... Don't listen to anything for a while. If you get the feeling of wanting to listen to music again, there you go.
If not, well, too bad... Either you just keep waiting or it never meant so much to begin with. Just don't listen to music if you deep inside feel bored by it so soon. Wait for it to happen.

Well, this is it for me kinda normal solution for a guy who have listen lot of metal and want to get away with that.

If you're losing interest in Metal, the first thing guy do is "get away with the metal". That's it.

kinda bland thread just like "Old School" one.
10.01.2013 - 19:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Dude your problem is small thing
I lost interest in living ...........long time ago, but now its stronger
I cant get fucking 8h work, because there is no work, I cant move out of fucking mothers aparment because I have no job and there is no free aparments , omnly offer what I get is sek 8000 per month in new ones, but its way to expenice. I need to study damn fucking things agan to get CSN money (what I can get at february) , my lesson calendar is fucked up, I need wate in fucking school many hours and I live in outside of fucking Luleå, not like normal ppl in central part where I can reach all whit walk....generaly Im fuck and I might be kicked out soon because my mother is bitch..... well maybe I shood make a noose .... realy and ppl dont undertand children are only problems, etlest my children never will have problems, because I have no children and never will have, now I wanna give to cort my parents because they fucking made me .................so I lost interest in life
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.01.2013 - 04:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Everyone will think less of you as a human being if you choose to explore other types of music.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.01.2013 - 06:20
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Doc G. on 11.01.2013 at 04:39

Everyone will think less of you as a human being if you choose to explore other types of music.

wtf is all I have to say
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
11.01.2013 - 08:54
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I say listen to something you've never listened to before. If your heavy songs are putting you off, try listening to something soft and gentle, but perhaps gloomy.

Lets say I love pizza. I like eating it often. But hey, if I keep eating it every day, I'll end up getting sick of it. I should probably have some Chinese food or a salad or a turkey sandwich in between my days of eating my favorite pizza. I don't want to stop eating pizza, but if I eat too much, I'll burn out on it and lose interest.

Basically, like with anything, balance is key.
----
11.01.2013 - 12:05
Slayer666

I for one, already think of him as such for merely considering to try something other than metal. He must be judged and burned at the stake.

The Great Metal Inquisition has spoken.
11.01.2013 - 12:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guib on 11.01.2013 at 06:20

wtf is all I have to say

Considering Oaken's past identity crises, Doc's post was bound to happen.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.01.2013 - 14:03
R'Vannith
ghedengi
I'd guess your problem is that you set yourself the task of learning to like a particular kind of music. That approach doesn't always guarantee that you meet a dead end (you might end up really liking the kind of music you set your sights on, as seems to your case) however I think it might be a good idea simply to try things rather than making it a task. Listening to music after all should be about enjoyment not some obligatory task you need to fulfill.
There are plenty of genres in metal to try, and if you don't find any of these increase your interest then move on to those outside metal. Or try both at the same time, see which one brings you more enjoyment.

Evil Chip gives you some very good advice, don't confine yourself to a genre, as you might be surprised by how varied the metal you enjoy can be.
11.01.2013 - 15:28
mojo

Hey, nil desperandum!

I went for nearly ten years hardly listening to any metal, in the 90s when my favourite bands from my teenage years all went shit. Listened to a lot of indie (friends' influence at university) and finally got into a heavy techno / trance / jungle phase, about the time I got into drugs, heh.

But time comes around and I rediscovered metal after an especially grimy party where they'd played gabba all night. I came home, tried to find something that matched in my own record collection and ... the only thing that hit the same feeling for me was Slayer. So I got back into metal, having missed most of the 90s and having some damn good shit to catch up on. I loved that!

So yeah, explore everything - metal aint going anywhere. We'll still be here when you get home!
----
Yeah. No. Wait, what was the question?
11.01.2013 - 19:25
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.01.2013 at 12:07

Written by Guib on 11.01.2013 at 06:20

wtf is all I have to say

Considering Oaken's past identity crises, Doc's post was bound to happen.

Yeah oh well.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
11.01.2013 - 19:43
Zombie94

What???!! You don't want to listen to metal and ONLY metal, 24 hours a day, for the rest of your life??? Next you're going to tell me you don't have long hair and a Mjolnir necklace. You're making me feel insecure now, I'm calling the tr00 brigade on you, you traitorrrrrr!!

Just listen to what you want, for fuck's sake
11.01.2013 - 19:44
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Zombie94 on 11.01.2013 at 19:43

What???!! You don't want to listen to metal and ONLY metal, 24 hours a day, for the rest of your life??? Next you're going to tell me you don't have long hair and a Mjolnir necklace. You're making me feel insecure now, I'm calling the tr00 brigade on you, you traitorrrrrr!!

Just listen to what you want, for fuck's sake

Dude I just wanted to say that your picture fucking rulez, I loved that game back in the days hahaha
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
11.01.2013 - 19:49
Zombie94

Written by Guib on 11.01.2013 at 19:44

Dude I just wanted to say that your picture fucking rulez, I loved that game back in the days hahaha

It's a classic.
11.01.2013 - 20:20
ANGEL REAPER

Oaken is having his phase shifting stuff again? what is else new...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
12.01.2013 - 06:13
Berserk

Turn up the volume.
----
Fear the Old Blood
12.01.2013 - 07:33
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
For awhile back when I was in school, I started listening to a lot of the hardcore punk of the 80's and stopped listening to metal. Right before that Children of Bodom was my favorite band and now I don't really like them. All my friends thought I didn't like metal anymore, but I still did I just listened to Punk more, but it ended almost as fast as it started. So sure you could be losing interest in metal, it happened to me. But it won't last forever.
12.01.2013 - 08:03
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 10.01.2013 at 19:03

kinda bland thread just like "Old School" one.

So you say that!
12.01.2013 - 09:23
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
I get that feeling sometimes !! but i dont feeling like listening to music at all sometimes still havnt lost my love for metal though
13.01.2013 - 09:34
fanapathy

It's OK to like other music than metal or to not listen to it as much, interests change. I rarely listen to new metal these days, maybe 2-3 albums a year or so and my interest has faded a lot from early 20s. At a point I went about 6 months without listening to metal at all. I love metal in a different way than before and since having become a guitarist, I listen way more to what they're doing with their instruments/technique than the "feel" of the music that it used to be all about.

Cheers dude, it usually comes back, but like said it might get harder getting into new bands as you get older and as life changes. Good luck and enjoy
13.01.2013 - 20:17
Thrashette

Everyone said what I would've said, except this...
Listen to really shitty music for the next while. Like, put on a top 40 radio station and listen to nothing but that, the same mind-numbingly horrible songs over and over again. It will be so horrible that you will regain your appreciation for good music, ie metal... But this is the last resort if things like exploring other bands or genres or taking a break from music in general doesn't work.
13.01.2013 - 20:22
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Thrashette on 13.01.2013 at 20:17

Listen to really shitty music for the next while. Like, put on a top 40 radio station and listen to nothing but that, the same mind-numbingly horrible songs over and over again. It will be so horrible that you will regain your appreciation for good music, ie metal...

14.01.2013 - 15:01
triptych

DON'T WORRY, IT'S called AGEING:):):):):)......if the metal spirit was REALLY in you back then, it will stick to you like glue:):)!!!
----
Wine, WOMEN and rock/metal:)
14.01.2013 - 18:19
Volkie

That is completely normal.

I started off with heavy metal like Saxon, Helloween and Iron Maiden etc when i was not older than 7-8

Got into Slayer, Annihilator in late elementary school

Got into Black Metal in high school, got bored of it, went back to heavy metal

Listened to some punk and rock through all those ages

Finished high school, start listening to folk and ambiental stuff mixed with occasional new albums of old favorite bands

Went back to Gamma Ray, discovered Sabaton, start OD'ing on power metal

Got bored, went back to punk

Got into industrial and techno, start mixing it with some metal etc etc etc you see the pattern

I doubt i will ever again like basement two riffs black metal bands as i did in high school, but some stuff i still listen all the time like heavy metal, some power metal, classic rock, punk, ocassionally i will put an Emperor song or Ulver on but people change, would be weird if your music taste did not change as well.
14.01.2013 - 22:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Volkie on 14.01.2013 at 18:19

I doubt i will ever again like basement two riffs black metal bands as i did in high school, but some stuff i still listen all the time like heavy metal, some power metal, classic rock, punk, ocassionally i will put an Emperor song or Ulver on but people change, would be weird if your music taste did not change as well.

next step you shood lost interest in grave digger anmd south , and partizan
----

apos;'
[image]
15.01.2013 - 16:36
Volkie

Written by Bad English on 14.01.2013 at 22:44

Well now, thats just never gonna happen, football club you support and music you like is not really related and quite two different things, while you musical taste may change over the years, or does not even have to but people love to listen to various musical styles, football club you support should be something you do not change until you die, if you do, then indeed it is some kind of a treason.

Going into off topic tho.
15.01.2013 - 16:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Volkie on 15.01.2013 at 16:36

Written by Bad English on 14.01.2013 at 22:44

Well now, thats just never gonna happen, football club you support and music you like is not really related and quite two different things, while you musical taste may change over the years, or does not even have to but people love to listen to various musical styles, football club you support should be something you do not change until you die, if you do, then indeed it is some kind of a treason.

Going into off topic tho.

Disagree and agree, music is like life I never have lost interest into it but I lost interest into football, specely modern football, all coruption, all non sence, all fixings, all bans and rules, 100 euros for away match ticket and so on .... its not for me, but still I wtach it not as much as I did years ago , no time, but I do it still and never will stop
well for me 80's 70äs football would be better, but I have to admit TV brodcasts nowdays are much better
----

apos;'
[image]
17.01.2013 - 18:10
Jtbmetal123

I went through a situation similar. I didnt listen to metal or music at all for like a month and I didnt care. I didnt miss it. So when i finally started to listening to music again,it was awesome! Breaks are sometimes good. iI usually if im not listening to music, i try to play bass guitar to it. If im really done with music I start playing video games.
18.01.2013 - 10:44
slinx

Sounds like you need a break. Metal isn't about who is the baddest or who can listen to the most metal bands, but about appreciating Hard Rock that is blown out of proportion. It is not about a lifestyle or anything.
----
'You're short, you're fat, and even for a film critic you are ugly.' - The Critic
18.01.2013 - 20:38
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by slinx on 18.01.2013 at 10:44

Sounds like you need a break. Metal isn't about who is the baddest or who can listen to the most metal bands, but about appreciating Hard Rock that is blown out of proportion. It is not about a lifestyle or anything.

I Agree, music should never be about lifestyle. Its art and entertainement thats it.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here