Metal Storm logo
Firewind - Apollo Papathanasio Quits, Touring Vocalist Announced

Firewind have announced that Kelly "Sundown" Carpenter of Adagio, Beyond Twilight fame will be the band's new vocalist for their upcoming North American touring activities, after long term vocalist Apollo Papathanasio parted ways with the band.

Firewind commented on the line-up change: "Today we are in the unfortunate position to announce that Apollo has decided to step down permanently from the vocal duties in Firewind. For the past few years it was evident that Apollo could not keep up with Firewind ever growing and demanding touring & promotional schedule. Several times we've had to recruit replacements in order to continue touring the world and keep playing for our fans. We're lucky enough to have worked with some of the best Metal singers out there!

Although we're sad to announce Apollo's departure and we sure will miss him, at the same time we feel that the show must go on! Firewind is a band that has gone thru lots of ups and downs the past 10 years, but is still going strong!

With that said, we're happy to announce that Kelly Sundown Carpenter (Adagio, Beyond Twilight, Darkology) will be singing for us on the upcoming N. American tour with Turisas! This guy's a phenomenal singer and we can't wait to get out there and Rock! We're looking forward to our return in America. See you all soon!"

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Firewind
Posted: 15.01.2013 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 19   Visited by: 133 users
15.01.2013 - 21:43
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Have not really been interested in Firewind's last couple albums but if they hire Kelly Carpenter to replace Apollo full time then I will definitely be excited to hear a new Firewind album for a change.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

15.01.2013 - 21:50
Red_Travis
What a way to start 2013, bands are either disbanding, or members of the group are leaving.
15.01.2013 - 22:01
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
No kidding, guess their New Year's resolutions were to drasitcally change their lives...
----

15.01.2013 - 22:21
Goddammit they haven't hit Minneapolis yet.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
15.01.2013 - 22:45
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by gopherhawk2@gmail.co on 15.01.2013 at 22:21

Goddammit they haven't hit Minneapolis yet.

I would say that's a good thing. I didn't have too much issue with Apollo's vocals but Kelly is still a far superior vocalist than Apollo ever was.

I really hope they hire him full time. His background in GOOD power metal and the power of his voice hopefully will inspire the rest of them to play much better and more powerful POWER metal.
----

16.01.2013 - 00:11
Stabby
Account deleted
That's a shame about Apollo, I hope he finds a good band to sing with and that Firewind find a good replacement.

Kelly never rests, it's amazing, this and Adagio have been smart career moves, though unlike Adagio I doubt this will become permanent considering that he's already in 3 bands.
16.01.2013 - 04:10
Patrick.
Written by Pitwulf93 on 16.01.2013 at 01:52

No, I love Apollo's vocals Too bad

Yes, me too. This was unfortunate indeed... Let's hope they find a worthy replacement!
Apollo had this really throaty and "full" way of reaching higher notes where it didn't necessarily sound like his balls were squeezed in the process. Sure, I love squeezing balls as well, but in Firewind throaty singers have proven to be a good fit, so... ... Yeah, here's hoping!
16.01.2013 - 04:11
SexyCat_1113
Real good news for firewind, so far, everytime i hear Apollo's sound, i want to cut off my audio player...
16.01.2013 - 07:51
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Apollo will never compare to Kelly Sundown Carpenter!!!

If you don't like the higher register then go to about 2:07 and you can hear his lower to mid range. Waaaaaaaay better than Apollo could ever hope to achieve.

And Gus needs to go back to playing the way that he made himself known for originally. If Gus would play like this again and hired Kelly Carpenter to be full time vocalist, Firewind's career would launch to a whole new level...
----

16.01.2013 - 08:40
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
They really didnt seem to disapointed with his leaving... ^^ damm never heard that song by them, sick shit!
----
pewpew.. gotcha
16.01.2013 - 11:25
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by AngelofDeth on 16.01.2013 at 08:40

^^ damm never heard that song by them, sick shit!

It's from before Gus started going down hill with watered down riffs and considerably inferior solos and leads. The man made a name for himself as a very talented and proficient virtuoso guitarist and the moment Firewind started picking up momentum and rising up in the power metal scene he started writing simpler riffs and simpler, as well as shorter, solos; just like Children Of Bodom...

No offense but I'm not surprised, I doubt very much that many of their fans who didn't learn about them until after The Premonition came out have heard much, if any, of their earlier material. I discovered Firewind shortly after Forged By Fire came out, it seems that a lot of their current fan-base learned about them after they got signed to Century Media and started getting major label promotions for the "Mercenary Man" video in prep for The Premonition release.
----

16.01.2013 - 11:56
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
If they keep on writing shitty albums, not even a vocalist as talented as Kelly can save them.
----
7.0 means the album is good
16.01.2013 - 18:26
Sure, Apollo was a great vocalist for some of their songs, but most of the time I found his vocals boring. Someone like Stephen Fedrick is more suitable for Firewind imo
16.01.2013 - 18:45
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Milena on 16.01.2013 at 11:56

If they keep on writing shitty albums, not even a vocalist as talented as Kelly can save them.

This is very true, and I am hoping that maybe an awesome vocalist like Kelly could hopefully inspire Gus to step up his game a little bit (operative word being hoping )...
----

17.01.2013 - 00:10
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
No, no, no, nooooooo! Fuck it, it seems I am doomed. All my favorite bands must change singers, sooner or later. Not that replacement is bad, it's just .. Apollo was somehow perfect fit for Firewind. Although last album was quite a disappointment.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
20.01.2013 - 06:00
atkmetal123
I only like Apollo's voice in Allegiance, after that all the stuff from him sounds really weak and boring, but not only him going down, Gus too. I hope they will do something different for the next album
30.01.2013 - 00:47
Patrick.
Written by atkmetal123 on 20.01.2013 at 06:00

I only like Apollo's voice in Allegiance, after that all the stuff from him sounds really weak and boring, but not only him going down, Gus too. I hope they will do something different for the next album

I think his performance is really impressive in The Premonition and Days Of Defiance as well. There is an abundance of emotion, power and range. However, in terms of overall production I couldn't agree more! Allegiance has the most complete sound on his vocals. It really brings out that raspy and "gurgling" singing in the best manner.
06.02.2013 - 17:49

he is awesome actually
07.02.2013 - 12:29
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
In my "Few Against Many" review i said Apollo's voice is what is irritating me the most about this band and album...so lets see about the change
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

Hits total: 3928 | This month: 5