Metal Storm logo
Music, as a study of how it works or Music, as an art

Original post

Posted by Monolithic, 20.01.2013 - 13:12
Well music is, inarguably, a form of art which is created and delivered using sound and silence. But sometimes fundamental definitions on art and music are forgotten and replaced by the entertaining aspects of music. What I'm asking is: Do you prefer to consider the music you're listening to (mostly metal music in this case,) as a form of art that needs to be studied and therefore pursuing the music theory more than ever or you prefer to be a casual listener and simply enjoy the music? If you have any other approaches that comes in-between these two basic approaches, I would be happy to know about it if you're willing to share them.

Poll

What is more important to you when you're listening to music?

Enjoying it casually as a form of art
Enjoying it and studying it extensively
Examining and studying the music
Other/Please specify

Total votes: 46
26.01.2013 - 10:31
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Guib on 26.01.2013 at 04:38

Written by Monolithic on 25.01.2013 at 20:48

Written by Guib on 23.01.2013 at 22:28

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 25.01.2013 at 11:05

Written by Guib on 25.01.2013 at 02:26

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 25.01.2013 at 00:01

Written by Guib on 23.01.2013 at 22:28

Some don't need Energy Drinks, they have enough adrenaline to be unstoppable.

Thats Exactly me man... No need of energy drinks, cocaine, coffee... whatever you use.
Music is enough for me to kick a thousand asses ! lol But its always better when you
do it with friends, in a show... after few beers and few strange conversations here and there.

haha...I used to be like that once...but then I got fed up and decided to be passive around others. It's not a good idea to have EXTREME FUN when you have a few friends who don't even enjoy the same type of music you like.
26.01.2013 - 16:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Stop the Mayan pyramid quite.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.01.2013 - 18:41
Lit.
Account deleted
People who study music have too much time on their hands.
27.01.2013 - 00:12
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Monolithic on 26.01.2013 at 10:31

haha...I used to be like that once...but then I got fed up and decided to be passive around others. It's not a good idea to have EXTREME FUN when you have a few friends who don't even enjoy the same type of music you like.

Well.. I don't force my music upon my friends or people who don't enjoy it. So that is not really a problem with me Lol.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
27.01.2013 - 07:33
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 26.01.2013 at 18:41

What, like musicians?
----
27.01.2013 - 08:04
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Jaeryd on 27.01.2013 at 07:33

Written by Guest on 26.01.2013 at 18:41

What, like musicians?

You know what I mean.
27.01.2013 - 10:30
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 27.01.2013 at 08:04

You know what I mean.

Alright, 'cause you were making it sound like it was a bad thing, having too much time on your hands. I, for one, am glad that many musicians had too much time on their hands and made awesome music I could listen to. In fact, unless you listen to music only while your busy, listening to music as a hobby can also be considered having too much time on your hands.

It's a strange statement to be making, since we're on a music site, and most music is made when people have too much time on their hands. But I guess I can see your point. Those people who aren't musicians--who analyze music just for the hell of it when it doesn't help them get anywhere or do anything--there's really no point to what they're doing. Those are the people who have too much time on their hands and should be doing something else.

But then, who is to judge what kind of hobbies are worthwhile? Maybe you'll never make money by taking apart watches and seeing how they work, or by collecting stamps/seashells/rocks/CDs/MLP: FIM dolls, et cetera, but if that's your thing, there's no harm done. No reason for anyone to think it's a bad thing.
----
27.01.2013 - 10:45
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Jaeryd on 27.01.2013 at 10:30

It's a strange statement to be making, since we're on a music site, and most music is made when people have too much time on their hands. But I guess I can see your point. Those people who aren't musicians--who analyze music just for the hell of it when it doesn't help them get anywhere or do anything--there's really no point to what they're doing. Those are the people who have too much time on their hands and should be doing something else.

Does that include music critics too? I mean many of them don't even play music or have any expertise in instruments or music itself.

Written by Jaeryd on 27.01.2013 at 10:30

But then, who is to judge what kind of hobbies are worthwhile? Maybe you'll never make money by taking apart watches and seeing how they work, or by collecting stamps/seashells/rocks/CDs/MLP: FIM dolls, et cetera, but if that's your thing, there's no harm done. No reason for anyone to think it's a bad thing.

Agreed.
I think it just ruins the meaning of hobby in the first place if you think a hobby is not profitable "financially". I mean, we're going to do hobbies in our leisure time for pleasure and not for a wage or any other forms of remuneration, in general.
27.01.2013 - 13:10
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
I'm enjoying the music extensively. I am trying to "understand" the music (like, what make this band so good?), and if I'm buying the album, I'm following the lyrics by reading the booklet, looking at the artwork and so on.
19.02.2013 - 03:12
Sinnercist

Hmmm that is an interesting question. I guess it depends on the purpose of me listening to a song (or album). If it is artistically inspiring then it needs to be something that moves me, I can put on loop and listen to repeatedly until I finish drawing/painting whatever the song has inspired in me. If its a long day after work and I just want to go to the gym and smack a punching bag around, then i'm more focused on the tempo. I wont really care about poetic integrity or music ability as long as I can turn off my mind, turn up my adrenaline and go at it. Though yes, music originally was a form of science/ math I think its more base nature tends to be more appealing.
----
From YOLO to LOLOL. You're welcome.