11. Spirit Of Joy [bonus]
12. Darkness Be My Friend [bonus]
13. Sin City [bonus] [AC/DC cover]
14. Winds Of Change [bonus]
15. Riding With The Angels [bonus] [live]

Staff review by
omne metallum
Rating:
Let's face it, you are only listening to this because of his day job.

Read more ››
published 30.11.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 5 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 261 users
20.01.2013 - 21:49
Rating: 7
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
It not only sounds nothing like Maiden, in fact it's an anomaly in Dickinson's solo discography as well. With the exception of dramatic opener "Son of a Gun" and the autobiographical "Born in '58" the album is quite pop-metal-ish, with plenty of sexual innuendo in the lyrics. It's all quite silly, but it can be fun in small doses.

That being said, "Darkness Be My Friend" (available on the expanded edition) is one of the best things Dickinson has ever done. Beautiful song.
09.03.2013 - 03:10
Rating: 9
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I have no bonus tracks ;(
Well IMO best B album, or secend best after lats one, realy unique, sound slil like Maiden, but he put emotional touch into songs and lyrics, so its masterpiece somehow, and he pick up good cover to, rare underated song ...exelent album my fav or secend fan can not choose, others are weeker IMO
and this is omly hard rock, rock style, rest are HM
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.03.2013 - 18:27
musicalkaratekid

My main problem with this album is the fact that Bruce Dickinson's vocals never really seem to fit in with any song. I mean, with the title track, 'Hell on wheels' and 'All the young dudes', it sounds as if Dickinson is trying too hard to come across as a generic 70's Hard Rock singer than actually using his trademark style with Iron Maiden. Granted, this isn't an IM album and is the first Dickinson solo album. Although there aren't a lot of songs on here that distinguish themselves from any other, the guitar work courtesy of Janick Gers makes for an interesting and exciting sound that is generally very effective, and if it wasn't for Dickinson's somewhat weaker vocals in comparison, this rating could have bee higher. Nonetheless, I will have to admit that 'Born in '58' and 'Dive! Dive! Dive!' are outstanding.
29.03.2013 - 20:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
This is definitely Bruce's weakest solo effort, and I find the sexual innuendo in many of the songs' lyrics a bit off putting. However, the title track is a great slab of classic hard rock, and features a surprisingly great solo from Janick. His playing definitely is less sloppy here than it is on Maiden's albums. "Son Of A Gun" and "Born In 58'" are fine songs too, but overall, it's nothing especially great.
26.07.2015 - 19:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.03.2013 at 20:31

This is definitely Bruce's weakest solo effort, and I find the sexual innuendo in many of the songs' lyrics a bit off putting. However, the title track is a great slab of classic hard rock, and features a surprisingly great solo from Janick. His playing definitely is less sloppy here than it is on Maiden's albums. "Son Of A Gun" and "Born In 58'" are fine songs too, but overall, it's nothing especially great.

kidding me, IMO his best ... more hard rock not HM what worked, otherwise it would be Maiden rip off , next one is worst he ever wrote IMO
----

apos;'
[image]
16.09.2015 - 21:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Doesn't this album deserve hard rock tag instead of HM marcel, other genre experts here, what's your thoughts?
----

apos;'
[image]

Hits total: 7859 | This month: 36