11. New Song [Japanese bonus]
12. My Future [Vinyl bonus]

[American Deluxe Edition Bonus DVD]
01. The Making Of "Circle"
02. Nightbird's Song [video]

The Best Heavy / Melodic Metal Album Of 2013
Featured in "Getting Into: Amorphis"

Additional info
Release dates: April 19 in Europe, April 30 in North America.

Recorded between September and October 2012 at Petrax Studios, Hollola and 5K Studios, Helsinko.
Mixed between October and November 2012 at Abyss Studios, Pärlby.
Recorded and engineered by Peter Tägtgren.
Additional engineering by Jan Rechberger and Santeri Kallio.
Produced by Peter Tägtgren and Amorphis.
Mixed by Peter Tägtgren.
Mastered by Jonas Kjellgren at Blacklounge Studio.

Artwork & layout by Tom Bates.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Finland's Amorphis have mutated from a cherished 90s death/doom act into a new wave of heavy metal type of phenomenon in the early 2000s. Having successfully redefined their sound with albums such as Eclipse and Silent Waters, the band journeyed through time with two more releases made of the same cloth with Skyforger and The Beginning of Times. Now facing the challenge to either continue on the same path or deviate to a different sound, will the band make the right decision? All the answers can be found in the release of one of this year's most anticipated albums entitled Circle.

Read more ››
published 16.06.2013 | Comments (17)

Found in 73 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 67   Visited by: 1694 users
27.01.2013 - 22:06
Rating: 8
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
This should be awesome, I'm looking forward to picking up my copy! The artwork is quite unusual for Amorphis, but I really like it. I believe it's the first time they have shown an actual person on an album cover of theirs (not counting soldiers in background of The Karelian Isthmus), if that really means anything, it's just something I've noticed personally. I hope they come to America to tour, because I definitely want to see them live!!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
30.03.2013 - 15:51
Giza

Judging by the two tracks released on youtube, "Shades Of Gray" and "Hopeless Days" this might be their most heaviest album since their melodeath era. Really looking forward to check this one out.
05.04.2013 - 16:19
Risto
Wandering Midget
Dooooooom!

Instead of spamming the Metal Storm newsfeed, keep an eye on the NB Youtube channel cause they might release all tracks one by one before the 19th. "The Wanderer" is coming out as an iTunes single in German-speaking countries on April 12th.
11.04.2013 - 00:39
John Shock

I'm curious to listen to the album! I think this will be good! never was very much into Amorphis but lately i took the pacience to listen to then and i must say, i'm impressed how good they are and how catchy their melodic stuff can be!
13.04.2013 - 11:50
Risto
Wandering Midget
Not sure if an Amorphis album has ever had a stronger start than what "Shades of Gray" and "Mission" are, the latter has an outstanding solo section. The second half of the album is a bit harder nut to crack but sounds promising altogether. "Hopeless Days" and "Nightbird's Song" could've switched places for a better overall flow though...

Oh, you're asking if it's leaked? Yes!
17.04.2013 - 13:50
Stoned Crow

A purchase for me, I think highly of it. I am not an Amorphis fanboy, but I appreciate Silent Waters, Eclipse, and of course Tales from the Thousand Lakes. With that being said, this album is pretty special. I think it's better than Silent Waters and Eclipse. I had the typical Amorphis feeling after the first listen. By the fifth I knew my ears were fully enjoying a solid album from beginning to end. I think as an entirety in of itself it is their best work to date with their current sound. There is a "roundness" on this album that the past two were missing- in my opinion.
----
I'm very serious about not being serious.
17.04.2013 - 15:16
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Stoned Crow on 17.04.2013 at 13:50

There is a "roundness" on this album that the past two were missing- in my opinion.

Exactly my thoughts.
19.04.2013 - 08:56
moe5512

A purchase for me, I think highly of it. I am not an Amorphis fanboy, but I appreciate Silent Waters, Eclipse, and of course Tales from the Thousand Lakes. With that being said, this album is pretty special. I think it's better than Silent Waters and Eclipse. I had the typical Amorphis feeling after the first listen. By the fifth I knew my ears were fully enjoying a solid album from beginning to end. I think as an entirety in of itself it is their best work to date with their current sound. There is a "roundness" on this album that the past two were missing- in my opinion.

Just have to ask, did you miss their album before Circle, Beginning of TIme?
19.04.2013 - 09:28
Stoned Crow

Written by moe5512 on 19.04.2013 at 08:56

There is a "roundness" on this album that the past two were missing- in my opinion.

Just have to ask, did you miss their album before Circle, Beginning of TIme?
----
19.04.2013 - 12:57
Rating: 10
apvagdede

Wow!!! A very very good album combining old and new Amorphis at the best way. Nightbird's song has already take position among Castaway and Orphan (my favorite songs of them). Also Mission is a very beautiful catchy song!!!
19.04.2013 - 19:22
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Holy shit, this album is so good!!! I was a bit underwhelmed with The Beginning of Times, but this is a nice bounce back!! These songs sound so awesome! This could potentially be one of their best albums yet!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
19.04.2013 - 20:38
Rating: 9
Milena
gloom cookie
Quite quite good, and possibly a grower too.
----
7.0 means the album is good
19.04.2013 - 22:19
jfAkerfeldt

Wao..OMG...I´m very impressed, its sound is very original...I´m Amorphis fan, but never I thought this album will be so wonderfull...My fav band, undoubtedly ¡¡¡¡¡
19.04.2013 - 23:33
NorthernDickhead

Best tracks are Shades of gray,Mission,Nightbird´s song and Enchanted by the moon.
20.04.2013 - 00:20
jfAkerfeldt

The album has folk, old death school, new amorphis, melancholy and even black metal...very good ¡¡¡
20.04.2013 - 05:35
Ap46

I like very much this album, considering i only liked Tales From a Thousand Lakes in their discography. That being said, it's definitely a grower, and although it can get a bit soft, the atmosphere it's always present, contributing to the whole sound. It's far from a masterpiece but an amazing album in today's standards, nonetheless.
20.04.2013 - 14:52
Reign

Epic, especially Nightbird's Song and Dead Man's Dream personal favorites
20.04.2013 - 22:19
hadriel

Awesome album. Amorphis is just one of those bands that keeps jumping back and forth between quality and meh albums over and over and over... After the last album I was starting to think they were making a downward turn again, but after giving this a few spins I stand corrected. Still need a few more listens, but I think this is my favorite since Tales.
21.04.2013 - 20:43
VforIAmAVagina

This is not nice! Dear Amorphis got usual!
Something is exactly happening that at the "Pasi Koskinen" era was being happened. I mean boring and always-the-same songs and method.
Their line-up changes used to be so successful. "Silent Waters" is one of my forever favorites. However, "Tomi Joutsen" era is going to be faded. There is always sth about Amorphis that made me like it. But, there is always sth else that made me not. This battle between "To like" and "Not to like" finished when Tomi entered the band. But, unfortunately, passing time makes him a loss, too. This trend started since "The Beginning Of Times" release. And I can say it has been completed now. Tracks, such as "Enchanted By The Moon", "Narrow Path" and "Nightbird's Song" are such a lame that nobody can defend them.

Amorphis is gonna fall "Into (another) abyss"

Guys, What do you think about this release? What factor do you think it lacks of?
I can start by saying "Originality", for sure? What about you?
21.04.2013 - 21:02
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by VforIAmAVagina on 21.04.2013 at 20:43
Tracks, such as "Enchanted By The Moon", "Narrow Path" and "Nightbird's Song" are such a lame that nobody can defend them.

Nightbird's Song is actually a vast favorite. So much for claiming nobody can defend it

Quote:

Guys, What do you think about this release? What factor do you think it lacks of?

Their sound is as identifiable as that of Iron Maiden. I do think their creative peak is behind them though.
22.04.2013 - 02:00
Rating: 7
Nivrame

It's good album but not 'kickass'. Nice music in background, but it makes me tired when listening too long.
22.04.2013 - 13:30
kalmah999
Account deleted
Nice album
22.04.2013 - 17:21
moe5512

Really good but I'm not too fond of the high growls, reminds me of Cradle of FIlth
22.04.2013 - 20:46
VforIAmAVagina

Written by Risto on 21.04.2013 at 21:02

Nightbird's Song is actually a vast favorite. So much for claiming nobody can defend it

You're exactly right about that. I see lots of guys like it. That's why I listen to it like one hundred times again. You know, the song starts nicely but it kind of fades in middle and a boring feeling comes to mind in a way that you wanna play another song.

Written by Risto on 21.04.2013 at 21:02

Their sound is as identifiable as that of Iron Maiden. I do think their creative peak is behind them though.

"Creative peak", thnx, it was exactly the expression I was looking for. Although, I don't mind their "identifiable" sound.

All I' saying is that they got bored and always-the-same at end of "Passi Koskinen" and Tomi Joutsen was a new blood to the band. And, I absolutely believe he used to be -and not anymore-. He was such a capable vocal that both his growls and clean sound made everyone astonished. However, comparing those days that they releases tracks like "Servant", "Silent Waters", "Towards and Against", "Silver Bride" and ... with 2013 album made me so disappointed.
22.04.2013 - 22:18
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by VforIAmAVagina on 21.04.2013 at 20:43

This is not nice! Dear Amorphis got usual!
Something is exactly happening that at the "Pasi Koskinen" era was being happened. I mean boring and always-the-same songs and method.
Their line-up changes used to be so successful. "Silent Waters" is one of my forever favorites. However, "Tomi Joutsen" era is going to be faded. There is always sth about Amorphis that made me like it. But, there is always sth else that made me not. This battle between "To like" and "Not to like" finished when Tomi entered the band. But, unfortunately, passing time makes him a loss, too. This trend started since "The Beginning Of Times" release. And I can say it has been completed now. Tracks, such as "Enchanted By The Moon", "Narrow Path" and "Nightbird's Song" are such a lame that nobody can defend them.

Amorphis is gonna fall "Into (another) abyss"

You're overreacting. The album is absolutely brilliant, way above The Beginning of Times and on par with Eclipse and Silent Waters. Pretty much every song flows well, it leaves little to be desired, also I could pick a lot of personal favorites. In other words, the Tomi Joutsen era is still in full force, the chemistry is still there and I hope they will release something even better than this masterpiece. One thing is for sure, Amorphis rarely disappoints.
23.04.2013 - 11:37
theembryo

Hmm.... I rather like this release, comparable in my opinion to how I dig Eclipse. Not in how the music sounds alike, just in the way I like listening...... Maybe am I missing something? Vocals seem a good blend of growl and melody....
24.04.2013 - 00:16
Stoned Crow

Nostalgia -
----
24.04.2013 - 19:27
VforIAmAVagina

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 22.04.2013 at 22:18

You're overreacting. The album is absolutely brilliant, way above The Beginning of Times and on par with Eclipse and Silent Waters. Pretty much every song flows well, it leaves little to be desired, also I could pick a lot of personal favorites. In other words, the Tomi Joutsen era is still in full force, the chemistry is still there and I hope they will release something even better than this masterpiece. One thing is for sure, Amorphis rarely disappoints.

Maybe, you're right about overreacting. I can also choose a lot of nice tracks there, -surely "Shades Of Gray" is first one-. I was a fan of them from beginning. I also have lots of memories during the time Passi was there. But, the fact is, whenever each band releases sth, they also increases "expectations". I mean 4 albums in a row, is not sth I expect from Amorphis. Whatever their chemistry was successful, they MUST change the formula.

I want another "A Servant". I'd like to have my ears torn by listening to "Towards and against".

However, I'm absolutely sure about one thing, This album is not a "masterpiece".
I'm sure once either you reach to my opinion or I accept your idea. I hope you won
24.04.2013 - 21:23
NorthernDickhead

Great album. Keyboards sounds like old Amorphis.....awesome album
26.04.2013 - 10:09
VforIAmAVagina

Written by Guest on 25.04.2013 at 01:25

"Mission" is a decent, 'smoky' dancefloor track. Album: Mostly incoherent, boring and... filled with stupid patterns and odd non-fitting things. Vocals are useless imo, can't feel anything.

Boring; Yep.
Vocal useless; Yep.

Nevertheless, I don't know why there is so much interest in this release.

Hits total: 35182 | This month: 58