Metal Storm logo
9th Annual Metal Storm Awards Open For Voting

ZomgzomgZOMGwtfbbq!?!?11!

It's February 1st, which means it's the moment you've all been waiting for? The 9th Annual Metal Storm Awards are upon us. We've done a lot of work in setting this whole thing up and now it's your turn to bust your voting nut 30 seconds in to the month then spend the next 28 days whining because we didn't include your favorite album or put it under the wrong genre.

Seriously though, take your time and check out our nominees. We've got LOTS of first timers that made the cut and are worth taking a listen to before casting your vote. And for any questions regarding what category a band belongs in please ask HERE.

Enjoy.

\m/

Team MS.
Posted: 01.02.2013 by BitterCOld

Comments page 2 / 7

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 208   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 1392 users
01.02.2013 - 04:03
Metal_Buff

Looks like there's lots of albums for me to check out here! Amazingly I haven't heard the Black Metal nominees, save Ash Borer... Looks like I have some terrifying research to do! On the other hand the Death Metal category is a tough decision, though already thoroughly researched Have fun y'all!

PS... How many here have an undisputed favourite album this year? Usually I can't really say, but Pallbearer got me in a way few albums ever have, in any genre. I think my year was split roughly 50% Death/Black/Thrash, 50% Pallbearer
01.02.2013 - 04:03
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Daggon on 01.02.2013 at 03:16

I'd like to have a cover pic for my facebook of the metal storm awards...
But no one ever listens to Daggon

Well I'm no photo editing expert but I used a screencap program and Paint to create a half-assed MSA 2012 cover image if you want to copy it... http://www.facebook.com/psykometal
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

01.02.2013 - 04:14
Edmund Fogg

Haha. Not even a day in the awards and we already see vote abuse! This is gonna be good
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
01.02.2013 - 04:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Metal_Buff on 01.02.2013 at 04:03

PS... How many here have an undisputed favourite album this year? Usually I can't really say, but Pallbearer got me in a way few albums ever have, in any genre. I think my year was split roughly 50% Death/Black/Thrash, 50% Pallbearer

weird year for me. i suppose FAAL is my favorite, but there was no real clear cut album for me this year. Even in past years i've had competing albums that were like "fighting" for it. 2009 comes to mind, with six amazing albums...

This year there were five albums i "9'd", and a multitude i thought were 8's, but even Faal would have a tough time cracking top 5's on most prior years.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.02.2013 - 04:24
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by psykometal on 01.02.2013 at 04:03

Written by Daggon on 01.02.2013 at 03:16

I'd like to have a cover pic for my facebook of the metal storm awards...
But no one ever listens to Daggon

Well I'm no photo editing expert but I used a screencap program and Paint to create a half-assed MSA 2012 cover image if you want to copy it... http://www.facebook.com/psykometal

Well, it's something haha, thanks!
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
01.02.2013 - 04:27
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Daggon on 01.02.2013 at 04:24

Well, it's something haha, thanks!

You're welcome sir. Thanks for the idea!
----

01.02.2013 - 04:31
Butters49

There is always some toughies...
Usually comes down to between two albums for me in a specific genre.

Although, neither of those albums I consider ever win so it doesnt really matter!
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond
01.02.2013 - 04:32
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Metal_Buff on 01.02.2013 at 04:03

I didn't technically start listening to the album until 2013 (I was made aware of the album the day Troy posted his review it on the front page but never listened to it cuz at the time I was not interested in 9-13 minute songs) but it is definitely my fave album released in 2012.

Taranis - Kingdom
----

01.02.2013 - 04:41
Metal_Buff

Written by Butters49 on 01.02.2013 at 04:31

There is always some toughies...
Usually comes down to between two albums for me in a specific genre.

Although, neither of those albums I consider ever win so it doesnt really matter!

Haha, yeah I don't think I voted for any winners last year... This year I think I get one... Normally I'm too cool for that shit
01.02.2013 - 06:12
Josh Gottret

Hellyeah!
28 days to pick winners...sounds good!
That means you have to fry the brain!
01.02.2013 - 09:56
Uldreth

Written by demonsarising on 01.02.2013 at 01:48

How did Periphery's Periphery II not make a nomination in Djent/Math metal? It was a seriously good album!

If there is anything, I miss Stealing Axion's debut far more from the math category

Also, I am surprised to see Veil of Maya in the -core list, since that album didn't have a huge reception on this site, but a pleasant surprise nontheless.
01.02.2013 - 10:32
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I'll save any ejaculation, be it premature or not, for the bedroom. But looking at all the categories, I just realise how little time I really have for listening to music. I need more time.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
01.02.2013 - 11:11
slavc79

Written by Ankläger on 01.02.2013 at 00:29

Where do I vote for My Dying Bride? Is it death... doom... extreme doom... gothic?

just doom I think
01.02.2013 - 11:51
Kamil
Account deleted
Why vote on new Fear Factory album is avaible only through 'vrite in vote' option
This is heresy
Since at least 2010, when Overkill was not selected as nr 1 in thrash metal album category Metal Storm Awards are becoming more and more unreliable
01.02.2013 - 12:03
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Strange that Royal Thunder hasn't been nominated. Will have to do a write in I guess :/

EDIT: Opps, daft me, I missed it.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
01.02.2013 - 12:09
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Damn, I didn't know there were so many good stoner/sludge albums released last year.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
01.02.2013 - 12:35
BloodTears
ANA-thema
It was a good year for stoner/sludge. And how about that prog category?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.02.2013 - 12:49
Kamil
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 01.02.2013 at 12:35

Epic fail as well as industrial category.
I always thought that Enslaved plays black metal at the first place
But...
...can we expect any wisdom and reliability from webpage, who 2 years ago pastet Septic Flesh into symphonic metal category?
01.02.2013 - 13:04
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Zomg! zomg!
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.02.2013 - 13:05
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Guest on 01.02.2013 at 12:49

...can we expect any wisdom and reliability from webpage, who 2 years ago pastet Septic Flesh into symphonic metal category?

Yes
01.02.2013 - 13:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Written by BloodTears on 01.02.2013 at 12:35

But...

then what would you call SepticFlesh. Iff you say death metal you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.
And Enslaved has primarily been progressive albeit with some black in it on quite a few albums already.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.02.2013 - 14:25
Paz

I'll have a big problem in two categories:
- death metal: Agruss or Ævangelist
- extreme doom: Alkerdeel or Faal
Damn it was a pretty good year!
01.02.2013 - 14:30
InnerSelf
proofread free
Dunno if i'll be able to vote for most of the categories this year, the only cats I can safely vote for are the Black, Death, Metalgaze, Doom and Extreme Doom. And it seems that I missed a lot of great albums this year.

The Prog, Sludge/Stoner, Avantegarde, Post Metal, Grindcore categories look GREAT ! I'll be spending a lot of time checking those albums ... thanks you guys
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
01.02.2013 - 14:36
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by demonsarising on 01.02.2013 at 02:03

Written by psykometal on 01.02.2013 at 01:57

For the same reason anything does not make the top 10 of any cat, we in Staff did not agree with your opinion.

Well fair enough. I noticed last year as well, the djent community tends to disagree hugely with the MS community on the matter of djent. There are other great releases in the category, though. I love The Royal Thousand.

Rest assured that is was given a fair chance, the other albums just seemed more deserving to us. I personally didn't like the album, the vocals play a major part in my disdain but the songwriting is also less endearing than the debut. Luckily, the format of the awards accounts for taste and you can always write-in (which it appears you may already have.)
01.02.2013 - 14:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema

But...

I disagree with you. Septicflesh clearly belonged in the symphonic metal category for that album as does Enslaved in prog this year. It is not about whether you think the band plays a specific genre, it's about the album itself. Bands tend to mix-up genres a lot too, so sometimes it can go either way.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.02.2013 - 14:54
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 01.02.2013 at 11:51

Why vote on new Fear Factory album is avaible only through 'vrite in vote' option
This is heresy
Since at least 2010, when Overkill was not selected as nr 1 in thrash metal album category Metal Storm Awards are becoming more and more unreliable

So if I were to go along the lines of your reasoning, I'd have to dismiss any site that presents opinions different than my own? How utterly preposterous.
01.02.2013 - 16:15
demonsarising

Written by Introspekrieg on 01.02.2013 at 14:36

Rest assured that is was given a fair chance, the other albums just seemed more deserving to us. I personally didn't like the album, the vocals play a major part in my disdain but the songwriting is also less endearing than the debut. Luckily, the format of the awards accounts for taste and you can always write-in (which it appears you may already have.)

No, I noticed somebody else wrote it in. Djent is a category that is fairly near and dear to my heart, and some of those releases I hadn't been intrigued by when they first came out, so I think that's one of the categories I'll do some serious digging around in before voting.
01.02.2013 - 16:19
The Technogoat
The Technogoat
I've decided to listen (and oftentimes re-listen) to all of the albums that are available from the Awards on Spotify before making my final decisions. Starting at the top, so Alternative Metal releases first. Cheers for giving me such good listening inspiration for the whole of February.
----
Human, all too fucking human.
01.02.2013 - 16:31
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick

Absolutely. Considering two years ago Septicflesh made a symphonic metal album...
01.02.2013 - 16:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Spirit Molecule on 01.02.2013 at 12:03

Strange that Royal Thunder hasn't been nominated. Will have to do a write in I guess :/

EDIT: Opps, daft me, I missed it.

Heheheheh, most of the staff enjoyed that album a hell of a lot, which shows in the fact that it got in for sludge/stoner AND debut.

Fantastic stuff.

But...

Written by demonsarising on 01.02.2013 at 16:15
so I think that's one of the categories I'll do some serious digging around in before voting.

That's the spirit! A high-five to everyone that see the true meaning of this event: To discover new music and help the bands by giving them more attention! I hope you find some good stuff!
Enjoy the ride!
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 14086 | This month: 6