Metal Storm logo
MSA 2012 Voting Discussion

01.02.2013 - 22:52
psykometal
A staff guy...
You've got questions, we've got answers! Here is the place to ask what Category a band can be voted in.

Ask/bitch away!
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

01.02.2013 - 23:10
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
As a head's up, if you write-in a band in the wrong category we will nuke your vote. if you have any q's where something belongs, ask us.

also be sure to see if it is nominated elsewhere before writing it in. hell, be sure it's not already a nominee in the genre you're looking at before writing it in... i've already had one person write in a band that was nominated, had a nice pic of the album art and glowing recap visible on screen at the same time you could see the write in spot.

other notes for write-in votes:

1 - please spell the band name and album name correctly. capitalize the first letter in each word, as in: Necrollama / Shredded Whore Quesadilla

2 - if the band is already written in, please be sure to spell the same way, including punctuation.

3 - please be sure the album was released in 2012.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.02.2013 - 23:25
Promonex
Cathemeral
So what does a nuked vote mean for you? It just means that you get the chance to vote again. Bitter's post points out all the reasons why your vote might have been deleted, but if you are still unsure about why your was removed, feel free to ask here.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
01.02.2013 - 23:50
Neachy

Which category should I write-in Hail Spirit Noir - Pneuma? At first I was thinking progressive because they're listed as Progressive Black Metal but I also see them written in as Avant-Garde/Experimental.
01.02.2013 - 23:54
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Neachy on 01.02.2013 at 23:50

Which category should I write-in Hail Spirit Noir - Pneuma? At first I was thinking progressive because they're listed as Progressive Black Metal but I also see them written in as Avant-Garde/Experimental.

We indeed considered them in Avantgarde!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
02.02.2013 - 20:05
Edmund Fogg

So, wich Witersun album will not get nuked?
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
02.02.2013 - 21:42
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Edmund Fogg on 02.02.2013 at 20:05

So, wich Witersun album will not get nuked?

Wintersun belongs in Melodeath / Extreme Power / Gothenburg Metal.
----

04.02.2013 - 06:06
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Where do Wodensthrone (them and Townsend not geting nominations might be my bigest suprise vote) and Litrosis belong?
And do you guys still consider Lacuna Coil gothic, or can I vote them in alternative (where I thinkthe last 2 albums belong)?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
04.02.2013 - 07:21
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by M C Vice on 04.02.2013 at 06:06

Where do Wodensthrone (them and Townsend not geting nominations might be my bigest suprise vote) and Litrosis belong?
And do you guys still consider Lacuna Coil gothic, or can I vote them in alternative (where I thinkthe last 2 albums belong)?

Wodensthrone - Black
Townsend - Progressive
Litrosis - Meloblack
Lacuna Coil - Gothic
----

04.02.2013 - 14:06
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
I thought Primate released their album in 2011
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
04.02.2013 - 14:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Spirit Molecule on 04.02.2013 at 14:06

I thought Primate released their album in 2011

nope Relapse Records released Draw Back A Stump in 2012, as far as I know it wasn't released before.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.02.2013 - 14:34
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.02.2013 at 14:28

nope Relapse Records released Draw Back A Stump in 2012, as far as I know it wasn't released before.

Oh ok, I thought it was 2011 for some reason.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
07.02.2013 - 06:41
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
The Haarp Machine: death, melodeath, prog or djent (only added that last one cause I saw it written in there).
Unisonic: power or hard rock?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
07.02.2013 - 09:05
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by M C Vice on 07.02.2013 at 06:41

The Haarp Machine: death, melodeath, prog or djent (only added that last one cause I saw it written in there).
Unisonic: power or hard rock?

The HAARP Machine - Progressive
Unisonic - Hard rock
----

07.02.2013 - 12:16
kai

Which category would Horseback fit under?
07.02.2013 - 18:43
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by kai on 07.02.2013 at 12:16

Which category would Horseback fit under?

Sludge/Stoner
----

07.02.2013 - 19:04
Curumir

Why is dissonas album listet as a debut? they released the full-lenght "ten masks" in 2009...
07.02.2013 - 23:10
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Curumir on 07.02.2013 at 19:04

Why is dissonas album listet as a debut? they released the full-lenght "ten masks" in 2009...

A debut doesn't necessarily mean the very first. In the case of music albums it also means when a band first gets major recognition for their work. But in Dissona's case, Ten Masks was never previously released. It was written and recorded back in 2009 but they never released until this year after the success of their self-titled album.

On that note I'm gona have to go edit the info on that release since it's reflected as a 2009 release but is actually a 2013 release since it wasn't actually release until January 13, 2013.
----

08.02.2013 - 13:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by psykometal on 07.02.2013 at 23:10

A debut doesn't necessarily mean the very first. In the case of music albums it also means when a band first gets major recognition for their work.

A debut album always means the very first full-length album by a band. But it's better to specify using the term "full-length debut" or else one could consider an e.p. (such as for instance in the case of Mercyful Fate's self-titled one) as a debut as well. Demo's neverget the stigma of debut album/whatever.
The word debut for an album actually stems from the time when record companies were still important and it meant the debut of a band on a record label. And it has nothing to with major recognition. If that were the case then Pantera's COwboys From Hell would be their debut album. And as we all know their debut album is Metal Magic and CFH was their fifth album, even though it was the one that got them major recognition.

Debut and what the word means http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/debut
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.02.2013 - 15:53
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.02.2013 at 13:18

A debut album always means the very first full-length album by a band. But it's better to specify using the term "full-length debut" or else one could consider an e.p. (such as for instance in the case of Mercyful Fate's self-titled one) as a debut as well. Demo's neverget the stigma of debut album/whatever.
The word debut for an album actually stems from the time when record companies were still important and it meant the debut of a band on a record label. And it has nothing to with major recognition. If that were the case then Pantera's COwboys From Hell would be their debut album. And as we all know their debut album is Metal Magic and CFH was their fifth album, even though it was the one that got them major recognition.

But going by the dictionary definition we could call a band's demo their "debut appearance" right? I've never regarded demos as a band's debut (or EPs for that matter) but it would make sense I guess.
08.02.2013 - 16:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Alex F on 08.02.2013 at 15:53

But going by the dictionary definition we could call a band's demo their "debut appearance" right? I've never regarded demos as a band's debut (or EPs for that matter) but it would make sense I guess.

technically, yes, but within the music industry a debut is generally a full-length debut album on a record label. Those self-released full-lengths you see popping up are mostly just longer demo's.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.02.2013 - 16:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I thought the idea of "debut" was pretty damn obvious by now tbh.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.02.2013 - 23:07
psykometal
A staff guy...

You're right, I'm thinking of a major label debut not a general debut. My bad.
----

09.02.2013 - 00:54
Panterica

Oh wait, if I vote for the same album in two different categories my votes do not count? Shit! I knew it didn't make sense and yet I did it.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
09.02.2013 - 02:26
Promonex
Cathemeral
You can still delete individual votes in the awards intro page. Or you wait until we purge the votes and you can vote again. But the first option is definitely the recommended one
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
09.02.2013 - 13:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by psykometal on 08.02.2013 at 23:07

You're right, I'm thinking of a major label debut not a general debut. My bad.

Major label debut also has nothing to do with an album being a debut or not. A debut on any record label constitutes a debut.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.02.2013 - 16:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I still havnt voted...I will do it in this weekend
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.02.2013 - 21:48
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.02.2013 at 13:14

Major label debut also has nothing to do with an album being a debut or not. A debut on any record label constitutes a debut.

Right, that's what I was referrring to when I was talking about "major recognition" and "not necessarily their first album". Major label debut is when they get major recognition in the form of a label and it's the first album released through a major label (as opposed to self-released or indie label release). The band can have a debut album that is self-released and then get signed and have a major label debut.
----

10.02.2013 - 15:23
Promonex
Cathemeral
Dissona recorded an album in 2009, handed it to friends and promoters, but didn't make it publicly available until mid-January 2013. As such it can be regarded as a demo, not as a publicly released debut album. That would be their self-titled album released in 2012. No reason to bring labels into play in this particular case which have a lot less of a say in the days of CD Baby, SAOL and Bandcamp anyway.
----
10.02.2013 - 15:59
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Yeah, they make it sound more like a demo anyway.