08. Inner Fullness
09. Metta Meditation
10. Upward Explosion
11. Spiritual Migration
12. Returning To The Source
13. Outro

Top 20 albums of 2013: 6

Additional info
Mixed by Jacob Hansen (Volbeat, Pretty Maids, Mercenary, Pestilence, Destruction) at Hansen Studios.

Artwork by Travis Smith (Katatonia, Avenged Sevenfold, Nevermore).

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Andorra is one of the smallest nations in the world. Lodged between Spain and France in the middle of the Pyrenees, it still holds enough talented musicians to bring to the world one of the most gifted metal bands of the last few years. If the name sounds familiar, it is because Persefone have made a name for themselves by releasing the album Core in 2006, a juggernaut of an album that still slays my psyche to this day. Its successor Shin-Ken was also a worthy experience in its own right. 2013 brings us Spiritual Migration.

Read more ››
published 19.01.2014 | Comments (3)

Guest review by
greatesthuman
Rating:
Years ago, in my cousin's dingy basement, moments after our first cigarette, he played me those menacing notes unlike anything I'd heard before: heavy metal. It was glorious, I was hooked for life --on metal, thankfully, not smoking.

I'm a lifelong fan of music most find repulsive (part of its charm, like black licorice), yet it takes a lot to digest a metal album. Even for metalheads, they're intentionally complex, rarely "catchy," and with so many sub-genres to explore, things get overlooked. By chance I gave an album I liked (but moved on from) another go, and am sure glad I did. Nearly two years later it's grown to become, dare I say, my new favorite OF ALL TIME.

Read more ››
published 27.10.2015 | Comments (3)

Found in 80 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 59   Visited by: 1505 users
05.02.2013 - 06:29
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I loved this band since the first song, i hope they have something epic and crushing like core
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
05.02.2013 - 21:37
Rating: 9
qlacs
"The Quaker"
:OOOOOOO The whole thing looks awesome
----
28.03.2013 - 18:41
annodomini

Just been blown away. Amazing! Different, but very solid!
----
the riddle wants to be...
29.03.2013 - 05:23
Rating: 10
Jiexun

First impression...Amazing!!!
29.03.2013 - 14:35
MechanisT
Account deleted
Excellent album. The annoying screaming vocals and the dragging length can be a deterrent but overall it's more than worth it.
29.03.2013 - 14:56
Diverge

The throwback to Fall to Rise in Returning to the Source was an unexpected surprise.
29.03.2013 - 16:33
annodomini

Written by Diverge on 29.03.2013 at 14:56

The throwback to Rise to Fall in Returning to the Source was an unexpected surprise.

Exactly!!! It was a real return to the source And I never understood the complaint about the screams. I don't know, maybe I got used to it, but it sounds amazing to me.
----
the riddle wants to be...
29.03.2013 - 17:48
Rating: 8
Rulatore

I can feel some djent here. Good album, despite some fillers.
30.03.2013 - 21:39
Vologes

Enormous effort! As you are getting blown away by the entire album,there come the last three tracks where you jaw drops and your spirit migrates to another dimension!
02.04.2013 - 10:03
Rating: 8
daemonic7

Fucking shit what a great album!
02.04.2013 - 10:58
Moose

Very impressed. My album of the year so far.
02.04.2013 - 20:15
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Damn, hard to tell what I think. At first listen it was so awesome, at 2nd I had soem doubts, heard some stuff that doesn't really fit, now 3rd time i'm in love with it... damn you Carlos, you made such a grand stuff.
----
04.04.2013 - 14:04
8bitsAgo

I am loving this! Awesome, by far one of the best albums I've heard in a while. Soaring melodies that grip my heart and soul, completely satisfying progression, technical but not mentally straining, and of course it's heavy!. There is not even one boring moment. These guys know how to play really good progressive metal.
08.04.2013 - 03:12
8bitsAgo

Written by daemonic7 on 02.04.2013 at 10:03

Fucking shit what a great album!

Haha, well said!
08.04.2013 - 03:19
8bitsAgo

God Damn! this album is blast-washing my brain, raising the bar for the standard of metal awesomeness. Sorry Meshuggah, my long time favorite Metal band, you may have been bumped to number two... will eagerly await Persefone's next release before re-arranging my favorite list.
09.04.2013 - 13:24
PocketMetal

I have to agree , this is fucking sweet !
09.04.2013 - 18:08
moe5512

Quite good, too much guitar spam thou
09.04.2013 - 23:34
Diverge

Written by moe5512 on 09.04.2013 at 18:08

Yeah, that seems like the primary issue with this album. A lot of my friends who are into tech death are turned off by what they perceive to be "unnecessary wankering" from the guitarist. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, nonetheless.
10.04.2013 - 14:14
Starchild

Wow! Just perfect! After listening this album almost every day since it has been released, I must say it's probably best album i've heard in this decade!
10.04.2013 - 15:32
Moose

Written by moe5512 on 09.04.2013 at 18:08

Personal preference I guess. The 'guitar spam' is my favorite aspect of the album.
10.04.2013 - 16:32
Spacerunner

Nothing special here. From the technical standpoint it's almost perfect but many bands are nowadays. On a melodic side - no really bright spots found. Many riffs are djent-type riffs and other trivial things so we've heard this stuff many times. Verdict: overhyped as hell. One of the albums that everyone is praising but some time later will listen once a year at best.
Best tracks: Mind as Universe and Consciouness.
11.04.2013 - 05:14
Diverge

Written by Spacerunner on 10.04.2013 at 16:32

Nothing special here. From the technical standpoint it's almost perfect but many bands are nowadays. On a melodic side - no really bright spots found. Many riffs are djent-type riffs and other trivial things so we've heard this stuff many times. Verdict: overhyped as hell. One of the albums that everyone is praising but some time later will listen once a year at best.
Best tracks: Mind as Universe and Consciouness.

I think it's interesting that you find Persefone to be generic and criticizing them for doing things that has been done many times over, given the fact that you found Omnium Gatherum's newest album to be perfect.

Also, outside of this website, the reviews seem to be lukewarm for this album. It is not, by any means, an album that everyone is praising.
11.04.2013 - 17:36
Spacerunner

Written by Diverge on 11.04.2013 at 05:14
I think it's interesting that you find Persefone to be generic and criticizing them for doing things that has been done many times over, given the fact that you found Omnium Gatherum's newest album to be perfect.

Also, outside of this website, the reviews seem to be lukewarm for this album. It is not, by any means, an album that everyone is praising.

I mean here on MS. Outside opinions are different indeed.

As for my opinion you interpreted my post not quite right (or I was not clear). Great music is always on the first place for me. If the record is stunning from the musical standpoint then I don't care about originality. But if it's not then at least some fresh air can do the trick. "Spiritual Migration" is very average as a piece of music and not very successful in innovations. And of course it's my humble opinion only. I just feel it would be useful to add some diversity into your highly enthusiastic choir.

OG are among my favorites since their debut in 2003 and I like their old-school sound and that they do accent on great melodies and deep emotional background as MDM bands did in the end of 90s. When they say "adult-oriented MDM" I know precisely what they mean. So it's a very subjective and personal thing.
17.04.2013 - 15:23
Rating: 6
advent

I was intrigued by their previous albums , but this album is so boring for me and the solos are so annoying , beside the lack of rich melodies and the generic songwriting , for me their only 2 tracks made me interested , anyway i can't understand all the buzz and the praise this album got .
29.04.2013 - 21:45
doom777

Fantastic album! I'm impressed!
12.05.2013 - 02:26
larshenri

Really an awesome album again.
14.05.2013 - 02:10
quisableed
Account deleted
Who the fuck is giving all these low rating?
22.05.2013 - 12:24
IronArkadius666

Written by Guest on 14.05.2013 at 02:10

OG fans who haven't taken the time to listen this properly, or have just not listened to it at all.
Unfortunately Persefone fans are doing the same to OG's new album. The top 20 of the year list is held in too high regard and has become a competition prone to immaturity.
While I personally enjoyed OG's new album far more than this, I can see that Persefone's musicians play far more intricate and, dare I say, interesting music, a style of music that I haven't grown accustomed... yet.
22.05.2013 - 18:33
Jiexun

Written by IronArkadius666 on 22.05.2013 at 12:24

Written by Guest on 14.05.2013 at 02:10

OG fans who haven't taken the time to listen this properly, or have just not listened to it at all.
Unfortunately Persefone fans are doing the same to OG's new album. The top 20 of the year list is held in too high regard and has become a competition prone to immaturity.
While I personally enjoyed OG's new album far more than this, I can see that Persefone's musicians play far more intricate and, dare I say, interesting music, a style of music that I haven't grown accustomed... yet.

Not a fan of OG but i´m a huge fan of Insomnium, I tried some tracks of OG´s new album and I found nothing original just like Insomnium´s last album. However Persefone really made me surprised with this mind-blowing masterpiece...
22.05.2013 - 18:49
IronArkadius666

Quote:
Quote:

Not a fan of OG but i´m a huge fan of Insomnium, I tried some tracks of OG´s new album and I found nothing original just like Insomnium´s last album. However Persefone really made me surprised with this mind-blowing masterpiece...

I find it strange how many people really like Insomnium and not OG (or vice versa) as I personally think they are quite similar, I love both of them and they tie as my favourite melodeath band.
Anyway, I agree that OG's latest isn't very original, however I love it much like I love One For Sorrow, despite that being quite unoriginal as well.
Ah well, to each his own, I will keep listening to Spiritual Migration until I love it, which I am sure I will soon.;)

Hits total: 29762 | This month: 55