Metal Storm logo
2006 Another Year In Metal: Thoughts On How This Year Was

Original post

Posted by Marcel Hubregtse, 07.12.2006 - 04:15
Well, the title says it all. Please spare me you thoughts on 2006 and how that was for metal.

To be honest I found it an average to crap year.
At the end of the year around this time what I usually do is look at the number of ORIGINAL cds I bought tat were released THIS year.
Well I ONLY bought 65 ORIGINALS that were released this year, LAST YEARS I bought 107 released in 2005.
In total I bought 210 cds last year and 208 this year, so that is telling.

I LOVE thrash, last year and the year before that there were at least 7 releases which I REALLY enjoyed. This year just three.
In black metal it was bad as well, last year I had major probles getting it down from 30 good releases to 10 and this year I have problems finding even 10.
Death metal was an alright year, but the problem being everyone regurgitating what they ha ddone before, although Deicide suprised me, I never liked them , I even hated them upto now, and this album I absolutely truly love.
Only categories I didn't have trouble finding 10 good albums were in the epic/classic/melodic doom genre and the extreme doom genre.

So, now I want to know your thoughts
13.02.2007 - 22:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
was a fairly mediocre year, I think, with some good releases.

There were only a couple discs released that I felt I had to zoom to the store on release day to get... Enslaved, Darkthrone, Slayer, Tool and jesu's EP.

Wolves in the Throne Room was a nice surprise as well.

But as Marcel mused, I found I, too, didn't buy too many original new releases last year.

2007 seems to be off to a decent start with jesu and Red Harvest unleashing new albums this month, Finntroll coming up shortly as well, Samael working out some new material that sounded closer to "Passage", and Neurosis hitting the studio last December indicates a follow-up to "the Eye of Every Storm" should be forthcoming.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.02.2007 - 08:38
LethargyMan

Feh. This was a pretty mediocre year for me. I mean... there were plenty of good albums that were released, but there were plenty of bad albums too... and I can't think of any truly stellar releases...

... then again, I was much too busy digging into the Swans back-catalogue, so I wasn't paying complete attention.

However, 2007 is looking like one good fuckin' year. New Neurosis, Meshuggah, NIN, Obituary... Even stuff outside metal, new Radiohead and Immortal Technique.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
17.02.2007 - 09:37
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
The best release from 2006, in my opinion was Suidakra's "Caledonia", very solid, definitely stood out and is what I regard it as Suidakra's best release to date, very clear production and insanely intense sound...
23.02.2007 - 23:57
Black Serpent
Account deleted
Medicore...
Darkthrone's release, Satyricon and Cradle of Filth was maybe (My opinion) the top of the year releases. Though I look forward to Dimmu Borgir's "In Sorte Diaboli" now in 2007 ^^