Metal Storm logo
Cricket

19.05.2006 - 17:01
Valar
IndianSteel
Glad to open a Cricket Thread the most followed and worshipped game in the Indian Subcontinent though i am pessimistic this thread will get many patrons
Updating India Won Vs The West Indies in West Indies it was the first match of the ongoing 5 match ODI series and will be followed by the test series.
Also Sri lanka Drew ther match with England as England dropped 9 catches and dropped the opportunity to go 1-0 up in the test series.
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
19.05.2006 - 17:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
well I saw most of the Sri Lanka - England match via satellite and it was amazing that England let Sri lanka get away like that, especially since Sri Lanka's bowling lacks in many departments. Onyl Vaas and Murali are of any class.
But 9 catches dropped yeah that is a lot but then you should come and see some teams in the Dutch highest division or the one just below that. I ahve seen matches where teams droped 15 or more catches.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.05.2006 - 17:22
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
A cricket thread !!!

Yes , England are rubbish .
How they let Sri Lanka draw that match I shall never know.
Total incompetence I suppose.

Perhaps we will do better in the next match.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
22.05.2006 - 06:23
Valar
IndianSteel
India Lost to West Indies by 1 Run and the 18 consectutive chasing victories came to an end
Wot Irony and it came to an end chasing a target of 199 AAARGGHH!!!
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
22.05.2006 - 09:11
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
17 consecutive*
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
22.05.2006 - 09:55
Valar
IndianSteel
^^^^ i thought it was 18 consecutive
still it is a world record by INDIA
----
22.05.2006 - 12:31
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
All good things come to an end .

England have trouble winning two ODI's in a row .
----
23.05.2006 - 00:06
Soliloquy
i think im one of the few brown people that does not follow cricket one bit. its so dry and boring. and most of the time people spend arguing if it was a 6er, or a 4. if it was an out, or not. if it hit th emiddle wicket, or the right...who cares?!
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
25.05.2006 - 20:14
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
England are playing Sri Lanka in the second test match today.

Sri Lanka were all out for 141
England are currently 118-2

England were ahead like this in the first match and messed it up I wonder what will happen this time.
----
12.06.2006 - 21:12
danzig111
Account deleted
I was told the other day that Cricket was the National Sport ov The Bahamas! haha! i refuse to believe that, i don't know ONE damn Bahamian who even knows how to play it!
13.06.2006 - 13:05
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Guest on 12.06.2006 at 21:12

I was told the other day that Cricket was the National Sport ov The Bahamas! haha! i refuse to believe that, i don't know ONE damn Bahamian who even knows how to play it!

I'm suprised to hear that - I thought the Bahamas were more USA in their sports - baseball and basketball.
----
13.06.2006 - 14:22
danzig111
Account deleted
@hanna: well yes basketball is big there......but we were once a part ov the British Colony until 1973, so we do most things the British way, we drive on the left side ov the road, the Queen is STILL on our $1 note, we spell "color" the same way as a British person would, SOCCER is pretty big down there............But that thing i heard about cricket is a load ov shit! Cuz i know countless Bahamians and not one ov them knows how to play cricket! some don't even know what that is! If i had to guess, I'd say Track & Field was our #1 Sport.
13.06.2006 - 14:43
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
I knew about you being a colony in the past.
I'm glad you still drive on the proper side of the road !

Cricket is supposed to be our national sport too - but I would say football (soccer) is much more popular.
Probably because it is easier to play.
You can even kick a football around on your own , but with cricket you need other people.
----
13.06.2006 - 20:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Well, I don't think cricket is that popular on the Bahamas at all. they only becoame an ICC member in 1986 and are only an affiliate member (that means they are ranked lower than countries such as Holland and Denmark) but why people say that cricket is big in the bahamas is probably due to the fact that when they hear the name Bahamas they think of the carribean therefore they think of the West Indies.

well, last Saturday went to see Holland play Denmark at my club (had to do a barshift anyway) and holland easily won by 5 wickets with a lot of overs to spare.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.06.2006 - 21:04
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
@ Ozman (Scarface) - I wasn't aware that Denmark had a cricket team.

I did know that Holland had one though.
----
13.06.2006 - 22:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by hanna of steel on 13.06.2006 at 21:04

After the test countires you get Ireland, Scotland, Holland, Namibia, Canada, and Denmark in strength. Denmark sported about 9 Danes and 2 immigrants. Of the 'real' Danes one has a county contract and one is an ex-county player.
Last Saturday's match was promoted as "The Battle of the Mainland" but the gap between Denamrk and Holland is quite large. I think that Holland beat Denmark 19 times out fo the last 20 matches played between the two. As you might know Ireland, Scotland, and Holland qaulified for the 2007 World Cup. But unfortunately none of us stand a chance at all of going into the next round. Holland is in Group A with Australia, South Africa and Scotland. All countries have been beaten by Holland at some time in the past but the only real possibility I see here this time around is beating Sctoland (and even that will be hard). And Ireland is in group D with Pakistan, West INdies and Zimbabwe. Only chance Ireland has is beating Zimbabwe IMO.
Of the three European countries in the world Cup I rate Ireland highest. I ahev seen them play in Holland quite a few times and every time they impress me much more than Scotland or Holland.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.06.2006 - 01:55
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Very odd that I had never noticed Denmark before - I knew of all the other countries.

Holland have played in a World Cup before haven't they?
I seem to remember them being on tv sometime ago.

It's bad luck getting into a group with Australia - no one has a chance against them.
----
14.06.2006 - 18:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by hanna of steel on 14.06.2006 at 01:55

Very odd that I had never noticed Denmark before - I knew of all the other countries.

Holland have played in a World Cup before haven't they?
I seem to remember them being on tv sometime ago.

It's bad luck getting into a group with Australia - no one has a chance against them.

We played in the 1996 World Cup and in the 2003 World Cup (in those two world cups we were in the group with England) and now qualified for the 2007 World Cup. We missed out on the 1999 World Cup due to stupid rain matches during the ICC Trophy in Malaysia.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.06.2006 - 12:40
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.06.2006 at 22:29

Written by hanna of steel on 13.06.2006 at 21:04

After the test countires you get Ireland, Scotland, Holland, Namibia, Canada, and Denmark in strength. Denmark sported about 9 Danes and 2 immigrants. Of the 'real' Danes one has a county contract and one is an ex-county player.
Last Saturday's match was promoted as "The Battle of the Mainland" but the gap between Denamrk and Holland is quite large. I think that Holland beat Denmark 19 times out fo the last 20 matches played between the two. As you might know Ireland, Scotland, and Holland qaulified for the 2007 World Cup. But unfortunately none of us stand a chance at all of going into the next round. Holland is in Group A with Australia, South Africa and Scotland. All countries have been beaten by Holland at some time in the past but the only real possibility I see here this time around is beating Sctoland (and even that will be hard). And Ireland is in group D with Pakistan, West INdies and Zimbabwe. Only chance Ireland has is beating Zimbabwe IMO.
Of the three European countries in the world Cup I rate Ireland highest. I ahev seen them play in Holland quite a few times and every time they impress me much more than Scotland or Holland.

Ireland played really well the other day against England. They play in the County Championship here too, and they aren't all that bad, but not that great either.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
17.06.2006 - 20:54
Mertal
What IS cricket, really? I have never understood the game by watching it. Seems like some sort of weird baseball to me..
----
I am
a smile
a character of fiction
a creator of concepts and worlds
a human being capable of changing the world
18.06.2006 - 01:07
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Do not even think about baseball in the same thought as cricket !!

Cricket is a much more complicated and interesting game then baseball (sorry USA).
It would take much too long to explain all the rules .

I think that to understand it you have to be born in a country that plays it.

For those that do know about it - England suck at one day cricket - they lost to Sri Lanka today.
----
19.06.2006 - 18:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by hanna of steel on 18.06.2006 at 01:07

Cricket is a much more complicated and interesting game then baseball (sorry USA).

For those that do know about it - England suck at one day cricket - they lost to Sri Lanka today.

Yeah I saw that on Sky Sport (we have a satellite dish at our club) and it is always fun watching England lose when you're watching the match with a couple of Englishmen.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.06.2006 - 01:09
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.06.2006 at 18:22

Yeah I saw that on Sky Sport (we have a satellite dish at our club) and it is always fun watching England lose when you're watching the match with a couple of Englishmen.

You should have some more fun soon - more one day matches coming up.

And later on in the year we have the 'pleasure' of playing Australia.
That should be amusing for anyone who isn't English !
----
20.06.2006 - 15:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by hanna of steel on 20.06.2006 at 01:09

I am planning to go to see the Boxing Day test in Melbourne. Visiting an Aussie friend of mine around that time. So that should be fun.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.06.2006 - 16:22
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.06.2006 at 15:52

Written by hanna of steel on 20.06.2006 at 01:09

I am planning to go to see the Boxing Day test in Melbourne. Visiting an Aussie friend of mine around that time. So that should be fun.

Lucky you - have you got a small space in your suitcase for me ?

Sri Lanka have just scored 319-8 in their 50 overs.
We are going to get badly beaten again.
----
20.06.2006 - 20:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
And England lost comprehensively once again. SOme weird running between the wickets going on from England's side. And, man, 33 extra's is a lot for these kinds of teams. They should cut down on them (especially the wides and no-balls)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.06.2006 - 20:44
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.06.2006 at 20:37

And England lost comprehensively once again. SOme weird running between the wickets going on from England's side. And, man, 33 extra's is a lot for these kinds of teams. They should cut down on them (especially the wides and no-balls)

I did say we were going to be beaten.

The extras are getting better - last match it was 42

Perhaps they were in a hurry to finish the match so they could get home to watch the football later !
----
21.06.2006 - 04:39
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Ahh a cricket thread! The last time I talked cricket on Metal Storm was that Ashes 2005 thread that you made, Ozman. I quite like cricket, although it's our off season at the moment, so the aussie rules football is on. Our summers are Dec-Feb Yesterday sales started for some cricket thing in Australia and it's already sold out apparentely, lol. I remember watching the last world cup, which we won, lol. There were teams from USA (which we demolished them, they were all out after 9 overs!) Canada, etc like what Ozman was saying. I look forward to next summer!
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
21.06.2006 - 15:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
We're in the middle of our cricket summer right now and things aren't going well for my team, we were gunning for promotion to the highest class but have only won 2 out of 7 matches up to now. Some pathetic losses we had, being unable to defend 345 runs, unable to chase 104... etc... and then we still have the national coach in our squad (his average after 4 innings is 130 currently after having score 114, 152 not out, 62, and 62)
Ou biggest problem is our seam atttack which has an economy rate of 5.2 and an average of aroun 50. Spinners are doing really well though (our best spinner has an average of 9.2 and an economy of 1.6)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.06.2006 - 16:12
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.06.2006 at 15:48

We're in the middle of our cricket summer right now and things aren't going well for my team, we were gunning for promotion to the highest class but have only won 2 out of 7 matches up to now. Some pathetic losses we had, being unable to defend 345 runs, unable to chase 104... etc... and then we still have the national coach in our squad (his average after 4 innings is 130 currently after having score 114, 152 not out, 62, and 62)
Ou biggest problem is our seam atttack which has an economy rate of 5.2 and an average of aroun 50. Spinners are doing really well though (our best spinner has an average of 9.2 and an economy of 1.6)

Do you play for this team , or are you just a supporter?
If you do play are you batsman or bowler ?

My son plays for a local team here.
He is a spin bowler - or tries to be anyway.
This year the team are only playing friendlies as they are the age to be doing important exams at school and some can't spare the time for cricket.
----