Metal Storm logo
Adding Sources With Edits

08.12.2006 - 01:23
Raiden
Down Under Staff
It's becoming more and more common at the moment for users to submit edits of featured bands without including a source for where they got their information from. Adding a source (for example a link to somewhere in the band's official website) to your edits is very important. It makes our job easier, we can get through the edits quicker, everything speeds up.

From now on, we've decided that we will mostly reject any edit that doesn't have a source included. So don't forget your sources!
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
08.12.2006 - 01:44
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Raiden on 08.12.2006 at 01:23

It's becoming more and more common at the moment for users to submit edits of featured bands without including a source for where they got their information from. Adding a source (for example a link to somewhere in the band's official website) to your edits is very important. It makes our job easier, we can get through the edits quicker, everything speeds up.

From now on, we've decided that we will mostly reject any edit that doesn't have a source included. So don't forget your sources!

Does this also include images to albums and stuff?
08.12.2006 - 02:39
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by Guest on 08.12.2006 at 01:44

Yes, it would be helpful We have to check the band's website, or wherever to make sure they're the right covers, etc.
----
- Bruce Dickinson

08.12.2006 - 03:06
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Raiden on 08.12.2006 at 02:39

Yes, it would be helpful We have to check the band's website, or wherever to make sure they're the right covers, etc.

But could I just say that I got it off the band's website? I ask this because this new policy cannot have any loopholes, as with any other new policy implemented.
08.12.2006 - 03:24
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by Guest on 08.12.2006 at 03:06

Written by Raiden on 08.12.2006 at 02:39

But could I just say that I got it off the band's website? I ask this because this new policy cannot have any loopholes, as with any other new policy implemented.

Well if you've gotten the cover from a cover website or something, because maybe it's better quality, or the cover shown at the band's official website is only 90x90 pixels, etc, then just add that you are submitting the correct cover and provide a link to where it shows this.
----
- Bruce Dickinson

08.12.2006 - 11:14
Thryce
Retired Staff
Quote:

But could I just say that I got it off the band's website?

Seems like providing a source to me. And that's what we ask you to do.

@ All editors: Just say for every single edit you make, where exactly you got the info from. Just put (preferably) an internet link to the source in the "Comments on changes"-box.

Also to all people editing album tracklistings, please carefully study the "Tracklist code and instructions"!!

Again, be aware that new edits without sources will likely get rejected.

Thanks

EDIT: And please, make sure that, in tracklistings, every word starts with a Capital Letter !!
----
Your favorite band sucks.
08.12.2006 - 14:47
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Also, if you add an album, pelase add everything!!! Not only the tracklist or the cover...

Of course, if it's an upcoming album and if the cover is not released yet, that's ok...

But that's not really helpful to add a new album in a disco if we have to look for something that is missing (tracklist, cover etc) to complete it.

To sum up, if you add something... do it at 100%
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
22.12.2006 - 17:35
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Now that we have logos for bands, I just thought I'd note that giving a source for logos isn't extremely important. We can often just check our own discography pages. It wouldn't hurt of course, but adding a source for logos isn't as important as adding a source for everything else. Adding a source for everything but logos IS important!
----
- Bruce Dickinson

13.01.2007 - 05:56
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Is wikipedia a reliable source? In school they won't let us use it very often, because some of the information could be false, because of the system as to how they obtain their info. Will you allow us to use it as a source?
14.01.2007 - 07:57
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by spirit_inblack on 13.01.2007 at 05:56

Is wikipedia a reliable source? In school they won't let us use it very often, because some of the information could be false, because of the system as to how they obtain their info. Will you allow us to use it as a source?

Well for trivia, Wikipedia is the preferred source. For everything else...well a band's official website is always the #1 source you should use, but stuff from Wikipedia is usually accurate.
----
- Bruce Dickinson

27.12.2008 - 20:11
Ernis
狼獾
I also would wish to point out the importance of respecting the band members at least that much by writing the text about them without slap-in-the-face disturbing spelling and grammar mistakes such as this pearl I found t'day...

"Terji was born in Tórshavn on the Faroe Islands. His brother started to teach him, how to play, when he was therteen. A few years later in 2001 Skibenæs joined to Flux, his first band, witch played the same type of music, as Tyr. He wasn't play there a lot of time, becouse the same year he moved to Heri Joensen's band, where he has played until today."

Even if text such as "He wasn't play" and "therteen" occur in a source (unlikely) one should pay attention to verify the text one has copied and pasted....
Hope that particular text shall be corrected....
One can afford mistakes in one's own posts but, dear my, keep these away from more official places....