10. Don't Turn Your Back...
11. Cold Sweat [Thin Lizzy cover]
12. All I Want [limited edition bonus] [Japanese bonus]
13. A House Divided [limited edition bonus] [Japanese bonus]
14. Symphony Of Destruction [Live in Pomona, CA] [Japanese bonus]

Staff review by
BitterCOld
Rating:
So MegadavE is back with album 14 now (Jebus, really, that many? I stopped paying attention after The Black Alb?Countdown To Disappointment about 20 years ago!), entitled Supercollider.

It seems across the interw3b there have been a lot of super-deriders, but the band is of significant enough stature that we really should review them and since no one else at Metal Storm Towers was chomping at the bit, I figured I'd take this on as a change of pace from Slavic doom.

Read more ››
published 02.06.2013 | Comments (65)

Found in 28 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 119   Visited by: 1610 users
28.05.2013 - 13:36
Rating: 6
Wiillak

I heard this stuff last night and you know, that was pretty average. also that was heavy, not a thrash stuff. I think ending is near to megadeth, too and they're struggling to stay their works alive. although they work hard and make an album each 2years and it makes me respect'em more than otehrs, but don't satisfy me much more. anything sounds good but I want a masterrpiece from them
28.05.2013 - 14:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by DeathSlyzer on 28.05.2013 at 13:13
My thoughts exactly. I felt most of the album was dull, and generic. I was also tempted going "zzzzz" a lot of the tiem. Especially in The Beginning of Sorrow. Damn. That song must be one of the most boring songs I've ever heard. I too did not have high expectations for this album, and still I'm dissapointed. I really hoped Dave could do better than this, but appearantly, he's lost his musical intelligence as well.

EDIT: And I almost forgot. You know what he said on his facebook a while back? "I've never cared more for singing than I do on this record". What the..... Now that is bullcrap. It sounds like he doesn't care about singing AT ALL on this album. I thought the vocal melodies for Th1rt3en was bad, but they too could get worse. I mean, the verse of Built For War? Come on! He sounds almost as uninspired as Lou Reed did on Lulu. And that's saying something.

Ah.... "Beginning Of Sorrow" is incredibly generic! It makes "Harvester Of Sorrow" sound like a thrash masterpiece in comparison.

I know it's not wise to take any stock in song titles, but I can't help it sometimes. When I saw the tracklist, I was thinking if any of the songs were going to be good, it was going to be "Burn!", and "Built For War"... How wrong I was. Those 2 songs are so bland it's untrue, with terrible lyrics to match, especially in the latter song.. On the flipside, when I saw a song called "Dance In The Rain", and that it featured David Draiman, I was expecting something truly awful from that one. In fact, that song is probably the best song on the album, and is the only one that doesn't feature an incredibly generic song structure, although I do feel it could have done with being a couple of minutes longer. More could have been done with it, but as it is, it's still a great song on a mostly poor album. I've never been much of a fan of Chris Broderick's guitar work in Megadeth, but he peppers this song with some soulful little fills, and his solo is amazing, even though it's way too short! It's understated, tuneful, and he doesn't start shredding till near the end of it, heightening the effect. It's definitely my fave solo from him on a Megadeth song, I just wish it was a bit longer. And if it had been, it would probably have been one of my all time fave Megadeth guitar solos. On paper, the David Draiman part should have been awful, but it's actually very good, and it's industrial-ish flavour is a welcome detour from the samey nature of most of the other stuff on the album. Funnily enough, it's also a rarity on the album, in that the lyrics appear to be decent, and Dave's vocals are actually good on this song, when they're so monotonous on most of the other songs.

"13" had 2 or 3 songs that were really scraping the barrel, in that they were so generic and snooze inducing. This album is the reverse, as there's only around 3 songs on the album, I would say that I liked.
29.05.2013 - 14:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
And if Megadeth's own songs aren't bad enough on this album, the band goes and totally rapes and destroys Thin Lizzy's Cold Sweat.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.05.2013 - 15:17
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.05.2013 at 14:42
the band goes and totally rapes and destroys Thin Lizzy's Cold Sweat.

To be fair to Megadeth here, most bands who cover Lizzy songs don't do a very good job of it!
29.05.2013 - 16:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.05.2013 at 15:17

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.05.2013 at 14:42
the band goes and totally rapes and destroys Thin Lizzy's Cold Sweat.

To be fair to Megadeth here, most bands who cover Lizzy songs don't do a very good job of it!

Megadeth have always been crap doing covers. Only These Boots was acceptable. Anarchy in The UK and I Ain't Supersitious are among the worst covers around and so is Cold Sweat. Most bands that cover Lizzy pull off a better job than Megadeth.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.05.2013 - 17:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.05.2013 at 16:35
Megadeth have always been crap doing covers. Only These Boots was acceptable. Anarchy in The UK and I Ain't Supersitious are among the worst covers around and so is Cold Sweat. Most bands that cover Lizzy pull off a better job than Megadeth.

These Boots... succeeds as a cover because there's so much raw attitude on it. I always prefer covers where the band covering the song stamp their own personality on the song, and it's not too close to the original. I quite like the I Ain't Superstitious cover, but then again, I've never heard the original, so I can't make comparisons between the two. The Anarchy cover is quite bad, it's too close to the original, whilst also being a clearly inferior version of it.

Lizzy are quite a hard band to cover, their attitude and Phil Lynott's in particular, means that just about any cover is going to seem inferior to the original. I quite like Maiden's cover of "Massacre", but even that one lacks that special ingredient that made the original so great. Metallica did a decent version of "Whisky In The Jar" too, but I don't think that was originally a Lizzy song, even though they did make it famous. lol
29.05.2013 - 17:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 29.05.2013 at 17:07

Metallica did a decent version of "Whisky In The Jar" too, but I don't think that was originally a Lizzy song, even though they did make it famous. lol

Whiskey is an Irish folk original, but the version Metallica covered was as played by Lizzy.
But then again Metallica have most of the times been really good at covering songs and putting their own stamp on it.
I think it must really piss off Mustaine immensely that Metallica are generally good at covering others' songs whereas he is quite to totally bad at it
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.05.2013 - 18:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.05.2013 at 17:11
Whiskey is an Irish folk original, but the version Metallica covered was as played by Lizzy.
But then again Metallica have most of the times been really good at covering songs and putting their own stamp on it.
I think it must really piss off Mustaine immensely that Metallica are generally good at covering others' songs whereas he is quite to totally bad at it

Ah, I knew it was something like that...

That is true that Metallica generally do covers very well, sometimes even surpassing the original, like the awesome cover of "The Small Hours" which was on the original Garage Days EP.
29.05.2013 - 23:59
MechanisT
Account deleted
Average. So very painfully average.
30.05.2013 - 16:56
Metal|Bleed

I hope the rest of the album doesn't sound like this, honestly. I'm not judging the whole thing just yet, but this song kind of just falls flat for me.

I just wish they would return to how Endgame sounded - as a younger fan of Megadeth, when that album came out, it changed my life and view of metal.
----
Metal T-shirts, Metal accessories, Metal Pants, Metal posters.... For true metal fans only on http://www.metal-shop.eu/bands/
01.06.2013 - 14:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Funny some say here its Thin Lizzy cover and in MS ther eno propher cover tag

4 songs heard 3 songs is bad, and 2 of them sucks BIG TIME ''The Blackest Crow'' is best so far .... Dave must go to pension IMO
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.06.2013 - 16:21
Zap
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.05.2013 at 17:11

I doubt that it pisses him off because he's probably unaware of it since he thinks extremely highly of himself. But I agree, he's pretty shit at covers. I like These Boots and the final few seconds of their Paranoid cover (when he yells at Nick), but that's about it.
01.06.2013 - 16:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Zap on 01.06.2013 at 16:21

I doubt that it pisses him off because he's probably unaware of it since he thinks extremely highly of himself.

Yeah, you're most probably right, since his ego is immense and not of this world. You should read his memoirs and you'll be left behind gasping for air. Nothing is ever his fault since he is briljant. Everything was and is Always someone else's fault. He is still baffled by the fact he was kicked out of Metallica. True the other also got drunk from time to time but weren't drunk all of the time and weren't totally out of control when they were plus the fact he used to shoot up as well...
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.06.2013 - 16:42
Zap
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.06.2013 at 16:33

Yeah, you're most probably right, since his ego is immense and not of this world. You should read his memoirs and you'll be left behind gasping for air. Nothing is ever his fault since he is briljant. Everything was and is Always someone else's fault. He is still baffled by the fact he was kicked out of Metallica. True the other also got drunk from time to time but weren't drunk all of the time and weren't totally out of control when they were plus the fact he used to shoot up as well...

He's an arrogant prick alright I also remember this interview in a metal documentary where he's talking about how he influenced three of the big four bands (you know, since Kerry King used to tour with Megadeth) and he basically says he's one of the most influential people in the metal world. While I don't think he's completely wrong -he did influence a lot of bands- it just makes him come across as a self-important jerk. Which he is. As you said; nothing was ever his fault and he was always the victim when it came to Metallica situations, including situations after he formed Megadeth.
01.06.2013 - 16:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Zap on 01.06.2013 at 16:42

He's an arrogant prick alright I also remember this interview in a metal documentary where he's talking about how he influenced three of the big four bands (you know, since Kerry King used to tour with Megadeth) and he basically says he's one of the most influential people in the metal world.

That was in Get Thrashed
I find it funny how he keeps on hammering on about King in Megadeth when in fact Kerry only helped them out for about three or so shows.
I am still puzzeld as on how he influenced either Exodus or Anthrax (cán't remember which one he influenced according to himself) and even his influence on Metallica isn't as huge as he makes it out to be. Dave wasn't even an Original member and didn't even play on the Original version of Hit The Lights which was featured on Metal Massacre 1
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.06.2013 - 17:20
Zap
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.06.2013 at 16:50

That was in Get Thrashed
I find it funny how he keeps on hammering on about King in Megadeth when in fact Kerry only helped them out for about three or so shows.
I am still puzzeld as on how he influenced either Exodus or Anthrax (cán't remember which one he influenced according to himself) and even his influence on Metallica isn't as huge as he makes it out to be. Dave wasn't even an Original member and didn't even play on the Original version of Hit The Lights which was featured on Metal Massacre 1

As a musician I know when you play with someone you can learn a lot from it, but the small amount of shows Kerry did in Megadeth isn't gonna influence him at all as a player, let alone influence Slayer.
I don't know which one of the two bands you mentioned he claims to have influenced, he can probably come up with a reasoning in which he had a huge impact on every doom metal band or something.
Also, I admit Mustaine co-wrote a few great Metallica songs like Ride The Lightning, but it's not like the band would have sounded nothing like what they did without him. Cliff Burton for example had a much bigger impact on James Hetfield's writing as he introduced the other band members to classical music and learned them the harmony thingy that they use in about every song from the 80s.
02.06.2013 - 20:21
Rating: 7
The Voyager
The Table
Why do I find myself not hating this? It's a lot better than the last album, I think. Granted, it's been a long while since I listened to the last one, but this feels better.
03.06.2013 - 05:35
Rating: 7
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by The Voyager on 02.06.2013 at 20:21

Why do I find myself not hating this? It's a lot better than the last album, I think. Granted, it's been a long while since I listened to the last one, but this feels better.

Definitely better
04.06.2013 - 02:01
Rating: 5
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Disappointing album, and the Thin Lizzy' cover is really embarassing and completely destroys one of the best songs of Thin Lizzy.
----
greets,
kual21
04.06.2013 - 03:57
Ap46

Almost Unlistenable :/
04.06.2013 - 04:56
AtrumHiberna

A big step towards the wrong direction
----
This is my worship, this is my path...
04.06.2013 - 09:05
Rating: 8
Big-Al

At least as poor as United Abominations, but maybe worse. I'd buy it if I saw it cheap in a bargain bin... hey it is still being sold to us a Megadeth release.

Still can't get over the artwork either.
----

I drink moosepiss
04.06.2013 - 11:30
In Bone Factory

Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 5
Production: 8
----
The End Is Nigh ...
04.06.2013 - 14:23
Zap
Written by Ap46 on 04.06.2013 at 03:57

Unlistenable :/

Fixed that for you.
04.06.2013 - 14:58
Pokermask

Well, it's certainly an improvement from Th1rt3en instrumentally, but the atrocious lyrics are just too distracting so it ruined the experience for me.

I say, give this album at least ONE listen and see what you think about it yourself. Maybe you'll like it, but for me, it wasn't really my cup of tea.
04.06.2013 - 16:14
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
I understand people have differente tastes, but seriously, anyone who rated this over 8 must be really high
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
04.06.2013 - 20:02
Erik M.

Written by Tony Teh Towel on 04.06.2013 at 18:53

Call me freakin crazy if you want, but I think this is possibly the 2nd best Megadeth album ever, only behind Rust In Peace

It seems consistent, refreshingly different in some ways, and features what are imo many of Dave's best lyrics ever, like "Dance In The Rain". That song easily ranking amongst the best Megadeth songs ever if you ask me.

Also Dave's vocals are at an all time low level of nasally sounding-ness. Which is good.

You're going to be massacred for saying this... hahaha.

I'm totally uninterested in Megadeth (even the old albums don't interest me at all), so I don't have an opinion either way.
04.06.2013 - 21:12
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro

Call me freakin crazy if you want, but I think this is possibly the 2nd best Megadeth album ever, only behind Rust In Peace

You are freakin' crazy! (there you go, you asked for it )

Seriously, so far I've listened to more than 100 albums from 2013 from all genres and this is probably the most uninspired of them all. Maybe not the worst, but still very weak in all aspects (except the instrumental performance).
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
04.06.2013 - 22:19
Wiillak

It seems consistent, refreshingly different in some ways, and features what are imo many of Dave's best lyrics ever, like "Dance In The Rain". That song easily ranking amongst the best Megadeth songs ever if you ask me.

Also Dave's vocals are at an all time low level of nasally sounding-ness. Which is good.

what? just tell me why? i'll hear your defence then call you Crazy
04.06.2013 - 23:39
AtrumHiberna

Written by Pokermask on 04.06.2013 at 14:58

Well, it's certainly an improvement from Th1rt3en instrumentally, but the atrocious lyrics are just too distracting so it ruined the experience for me.

I say, give this album at least ONE listen and see what you think about it yourself. Maybe you'll like it, but for me, it wasn't really my cup of tea.

really? definitely NOT an improvement from 13. this is maybe the most uninspired Megadeth album. but OK, you have your opinion and I have mine
----
This is my worship, this is my path...

Hits total: 30195 | This month: 44