Metal Storm logo
Most influential crossover thrash band

Original post

Posted by Aristarchos, 26.02.2013 - 20:11
When I was doing my list, which eventually turned out to be an attempt to an top 150 most influential metal bands of all time, someone pointed out that I had left out the crossover thrash bands. I did that because I hadn't so much knowledge of crossover thrash. I'm very initiated in the history of most of the more traditional metal genres, but thrash has always been my least favourite of them (heavy, power, prog, doom, thrash, death and black). Personally I prefer music that is darker, or sometimes more melodic when the melodies are too good to resist, but pure thrash is for me too much only about aggression, I mostly like thrash on the border to death metal like early Pestilence, Deceased and German Poison, and also Metallica who has melodies that are too good to resist. When it comes to hardcore, that is even more about pure aggression, so I never thought the mix between hardcore and thrash would be anything for me, so I had never really checked out those bands. When I checked out them I found a pair albums I liked like Carnivore's Retaliation and Suicidal Tendencies's Lights... Camera... Revolution! (there are always some albums you like even in the genres that are not yours).

But now this thread is about the most influential crossover thrash band. Since I didn't have enough knowledge of the genre, and didn't find any good history page about the genre (the wikipedia page wasn't much of help) I didn't know how high I would place the different crossover thrash bands in my list, so I asked in my most influential metal bands of all time list for a useful link or somebody's thoughts, but didn't receive any answer, so I instead start this thread.

As I already have pointed out I have not enough knowledges to give a personal opinion about the question, so now I ask for yours.

Poll

What has been the most influential crossover thrash band?

Suicidal Tendencies
D.R.I.
Nuclear Assault
other
S.O.D.
Corrosion Of Conformity
Carnivore
M.O.D.
Prong

Total votes: 45
08.03.2013 - 19:06
Aristarchos
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.02.2013 at 20:24

Discharge is more pure hardcore/punk indeed and almost no crossover. And only their earlier albums were of any influence. And actually more on Swedish Death Metal than on thrash. the word D-beat, the D there refers to Discharge.

I know that Tomas Lindberg from At The Gates and Uffe Cederlund from Entombed is in the D-beat band Disfear and that other musicians from swedeath bands also listened to them. Didn't Discharge have an influence on grindcore too? I know Napalm Death has mentioned them as a big influence. It is often said too that D.R.I. had a big influence on the grindcore. How big influence did Suicidal Tendencies have outside the crossover genre?
20.07.2013 - 13:29
Aristarchos
I'm fascinated how agreed everybody seems to be. My next question is which of ST's albums have been the most influential?
22.07.2013 - 02:31
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Written by Aristarchos on 20.07.2013 at 13:29

I'm fascinated how agreed everybody seems to be. My next question is which of ST's albums have been the most influential?

Their first three are probably the most influential together. Just the gradual change from their hardcore punk of their self titled debut to their second Join The Army which saw more change into thrash but still contained punk elements then to How Will I Laugh Tomorrow which was completely thrash.
22.07.2013 - 04:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Aristarchos on 20.07.2013 at 13:29

the third, "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow" and the s/t were easily the most influential.

Self titled wasn't proper metal but still had a ton of metallic influence.

"How Will I Laugh" was the crossover album that mixed the best aspects of both.

Skip "Join The Army" - as a 40yo listening to ST since back in the mid-80's, I pretty much did, and wasn't alone. didn't have the impact of either of the other two. not punk enough for the punks, nor metal enough for the metalheads, with crap production to boot.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.07.2013 - 12:06
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I'll still root for their self-titled album. it's pretty good enough to get placed much higher of what they released til 2000( Oh, hey "Light, Camera and Revolution" is a good record too).
25.07.2013 - 18:35
Suicidal Tendencies are the most influential crossover thrash band for sure. Without them, I wouldn't even know what crossover thrash is.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
21.02.2014 - 14:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by deadone on 21.02.2014 at 01:52

As for Prong they were definitely in the Thrash boat but I'd agree that Primitive Origins Crossover.

E.g.

I Always forget about that album, somehow. My mistgake. That one is definitely crossover,

Btw old Corrosion Of Conformity was also immensely influential for crossover. As was Attitude Adjustment.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.03.2014 - 20:30
Guib
Thrash Talker
Buddy Where's Cro-Mags and Dayglo Abortions
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.04.2014 - 02:45
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 15.03.2014 at 20:30

Buddy Where's Cro-Mags and Dayglo Abortions

Cro-Mags definitely good stuff. Agnostic Front crossover as well.

Cryptic Slaughter and Wehrmacht, two of my favorite crossover/thrash bands.
26.06.2014 - 06:44
Totenlieder
I'd go with either D.R.I. because of their "Crossover" album. Pretty self explanatory that one and also coined the term, or Suicidal Tendencies.
----
Blut & Krieg
29.06.2014 - 05:43
Jtbmetal123
Body Count too
06.11.2022 - 00:00
Joppe
Steelemeister
Probably Cro-mags

Suicidal Tendencies and Corrosion of Conformity were great but that was later.
----
My vision is augmented