05. Festival Of Slaves
06. Sadness Will Last Forever
07. Solarflesh
08. Endless Purity
09. Mesmerized
10. Hatehammer [limited edition bonus]
11. Venom [limited edition bonus]
12. Fall Of All Icons

Even though when I saw Hate open up for Mayhem a year or so ago I thought they were a local Behemoth cover band, and despite the fact that this album here sounds a bit like a collection of tracks cut from Evangelion, Hate deserves some credit. They've been playing generic and derivative sounding shit since, at the latest, 1996 when they released Daemon Qui Fecit Terram. They're not just Behemoth wannabe newbs.

And, fact of the matter, even if they were just Behemoth-worshiping newbs, the stuff they put out doesn't sound bad at all. In fact, it's pretty alright. Solarflesh is more proof of that.

Nothing on this is original sounding, the constant, flat-sounding double kicks are annoying and bland, the vocals are beta-wolf style to Nergal's alpha growls, and the themes and feel of the album are, to say the least, boring and contrived. But there are more than enough tunes and riffs and parts that come together cohesively and evilly on this to bite into and enjoy. There are plenty of straight-up, no bullshit, neck snapping grooves here.

But, some big alases, neverthelesses, yets, howevers and thoughs, this still sounds like a package of Behemoth knock-offs. It's the kind of LP that's made for people who can't get enough of Behemoth's style of blackish death?people who are willing to settle for some off-brand version of Behemoth rather than just keep returning to old Behemoth while waiting for some new Behemoth.

Behemoth. Hate sounds like Behemoth. But that's not that bad of a thing necessarily.

Written on 01.03.2013 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 201 users
01.03.2013 - 08:10
RottingDeathHead
kingnothing_92@yahoo.com
I always found them pleasant to listen too and found Behemoth to be really boring.
01.03.2013 - 08:42
Winterthrone

Written by RottingDeathHead on 01.03.2013 at 08:10

I always found them pleasant to listen too and found Behemoth to be really boring.

Some people prefer Pepsi over Coca-Cola...Seriously, they started playing Blackened Death in 1996...In 1996 Behemoth released Grom and their sound was more Black Metal. To me they play something similar to Behemoth, but it doesn't mean they are copycats. I just think they had the same influences...
01.03.2013 - 13:33
Rating: 9
Xeravia

I honestly prefer HATE to Behemoth.. HATE have been a constant, whereas Behemoth went from fucking amazing black metal to now blackened death, not saying blackened death isn't good.. i just preferred them as black metal musicians. Solarflesh was fucking awesome In my opinion.
01.03.2013 - 21:46
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Hate is a great live band but I felt Solarflesh was a letdown.
02.03.2013 - 01:40
Hellcult

I agree with 'Winterthrone' and in fact Hate had played this kind of music from begining, behemoth - NOT... anyway i like both of those bands very much and have to say that they do great albums. and talking about Solarflesh i think it is very good but i prefere Erebos
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
02.03.2013 - 21:06
wolf6666

Beznadziejna płyta Hate.
nowa LUNA AD NOCTUM np. niszczy ich przy porównaniu
02.03.2013 - 21:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck