Metal Storm logo
Anthrax - Streaming Thin Lizzy Cover

As you probably know by now, Anthrax will release this month their cover EP Anthems and the thrash band is currently streaming their version of Thin Lizzy's song "Jailbreak". You can hear it right here. Alternatively, you can listen to it on the video below.

You can also listen to Anthrax's cover of AC/DC's "TNT" and Rush's "Anthem". More details about the EP here.

"Jailbreak" is taken from the upcoming special edition of the band's last album, Worship Music. The special edition will contain both the regular album as well as the brand new Anthems EP featuring cover versions of songs originally performed by Rush, AC/DC, Boston, Journey, Cheap Trick and Thin Lizzy. Anthems will also be released separately on CD and vinyl.

"We've been wanting to record 'Jailbreak' for years," said Anthrax drummer Charlie Benante. "Going back to when Joey [Belladonna, singer] was in the band the first time. It was always on our agenda, we just never got around to it. When we started putting together the songs for the EP, we knew it was the right time. We just love this song."

"We've always been big Thin Lizzy fans, and I've said this before, bands like Thin Lizzy and Boston influenced Iron Maiden who then influenced us," Benante continues. "Phil [Lynott, late vocalist/bassist of Thin Lizzy] comes from Ireland and that influenced his music in such a very heavy, rock 'n' roll, poetic way. The thing about 'Jailbreak' is that that great, killer groove, and the lyrics - just great. When we used to tour years ago, we thought of ourselves as this gang, traveling with our entourage, that whole, "tonight there's going to be a jailbreak' Thin Lizzy vibe."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Anthrax
Posted: 02.03.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 3   Visited by: 53 users
02.03.2013 - 17:03
Orphan Saint
Account deleted
Wow! That was.... Bland. I love Anthrax and I've always said that Thin Lizzy is one of the most underrated bands of the 70's, but this cover is just plain boring.
03.03.2013 - 03:53
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Not even close to the awesomeness of the orig but nice try.
03.03.2013 - 12:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
And once again Anthrax shows they are totally bad at covering songs of other bands.
Here they try to stay way too close both musically and vocally to the original and when you try to do that with Lizzy ongs you're 100% certain to fail dismally, as is shown here by Anthrax
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 3712 | This month: 3