Metal Storm logo
Southern metal

06.03.2013 - 02:53
vgmaster9

What do you people think of southern metal? Do you think it'll become the next big subgenre for metalheads? What southern metal bands do you like?
06.03.2013 - 05:32
squidrick420

I wouldn't say next big subgenre, southern metal has been going strong for many years now; at least locally i can say it is. I live in Asheville NC which is a small mountain city in the south (not a very southern city at all, but everywhere else is). I grew up hearing bands like The Showdown, Maylene and The Sons Of The Disaster, He Is Legend, and Once Nothing.

Other southern metal bands worthy of mentioning are Alabama Thunderpussy, Superjoint Ritual (Hank Wiliams III is their bassist), Assjack (Hank Williams III is the only member, you cant get more southern than that), Corrosion Of Conformity, and several others I cant seem to think of at the moment.
06.03.2013 - 05:33
squidrick420

This is really hit or miss, but no doubt pure southern fucking metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-p3HtTrmUI
07.03.2013 - 01:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
It never will be big subgenre, it never will sold out it will stay as deep underground how true south is, souther rock was BIG last SR band what wa smajor was The Black Crows
and we knwo Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, some say CCR, Eagles , The Rossington Collins Band, ZZ Top ... nothing big in 80's well I dont consider REM in SR genre, some say it is

Southern Metal-- Alabama Thunderpussy, Cancer Baths, Black Lable Society, Dawn, Crowbar , Acid Bath , some say Panthera also can be bands what is based in blues, souther traditions and like to drink Jack and play lil heavyer music for modern generation white americans.
Some europians also can be ''close'' like swedes from Kiruna The Burbon Boys, some will say Orange Goblin, some might say Electric Wizard and Cathedral also can sound lil souther

But c mon such muisc, how many ppl like this, its one of doom subgeres and doom is underground and this will stay underground. No way media what is nowdays BIG DEAL to be popular will ignore it
even underground metalheads dont like this genre, even metalstormers ................. so
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.03.2013 - 02:22
Susan
Smeghead
Well, there are TONS of amazing metal bands from the south, that don't necessarily create one cohesive sound. But if you say "southern metal" the first thing I think of is "Savannah Sludge" and bands like Kylesa, Baroness, Black Tusk, etc. And similar bands from Atlanta and elsewhere in GA or the region, bands like Royal Thunder from Atlanta, or Windhand from Virginia.

That bluesy, sludgy sound is something special. All the bands sound individual but they're nonetheless obvious products of the south.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
07.03.2013 - 12:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 07.03.2013 at 01:53

its one of doom subgeres and doom is underground and this will stay underground.

Mmmmm NO, southern metal is not a doom subgenre. Btw sludge although primarily from the south is not southern metal, southern metal has a totally different sound to it f.e. Pride & Glory, Alabama Thunderpussy, Black Label Society. Tototally not doom at all that sound.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.03.2013 - 13:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.03.2013 at 12:40

Written by Bad English on 07.03.2013 at 01:53

its one of doom subgeres and doom is underground and this will stay underground.

Mmmmm NO, southern metal is not a doom subgenre. Btw sludge although primarily from the south is not southern metal, southern metal has a totally different sound to it f.e. Pride & Glory, Alabama Thunderpussy, Black Label Society. Tototally not doom at all that sound.

Shit but I ment to say its same as doom when we compare popularity , and many doom metal fans also likes this genre, I like it and I dont give hight hopes to see southern metal in high ranking on charts and have huge media atention. Trad Doom , gothic doom, death doom nowdays has better opurtunity to get popular than southern metal.
----

apos;'
[image]
08.03.2013 - 01:41
Lit.
Account deleted
Are sludge metal bands for LA (Down, EyeHateGod, Goatwhore, Acid Bath) really in the same category as southern metal bands (Alabama Thunderpussy, Superjoint Ritual, Assjack, HellYeah)?
08.03.2013 - 01:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 08.03.2013 at 01:41

Are sludge metal bands for LA (Down, EyeHateGod, Goatwhore, Acid Bath) really in the same category as southern metal bands (Alabama Thunderpussy, Superjoint Ritual, Assjack, HellYeah)?

Nowdays it migt be since they sounds simmilar .-.... well in 80's media compare ZZ Top whit Allman Brothers Band .... Allman is from Florida if I remeber from Jhonestown, but ZZ was from california
----

apos;'
[image]
08.03.2013 - 12:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

No they are not
the LA/NOLA bands you mentioned are sludge and just happen to be from the South but don't play southern metal whereas AT, SJR, AJ, HY are southern metal just like Tombstone Highway is a southern metal band and yet hail from Italy.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.03.2013 - 12:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 08.03.2013 at 01:56

Nowdays it migt be since they sounds simmilar .-..

those bands he mentioned don't sound similar at all and sludge and southern metal don't sound similar at all either.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.03.2013 - 14:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.03.2013 at 12:48

Written by Bad English on 08.03.2013 at 01:56

Nowdays it migt be since they sounds simmilar .-..

those bands he mentioned don't sound similar at all and sludge and southern metal don't sound similar at all either.

but they are ''closser sound'' whit each other than souther and thrash or souther or flower
----

apos;'
[image]
09.03.2013 - 23:48
skrog1

Eh, I don't personally see it trending like thrash, death, black, industiral, etc. I think southern metal is a niche within a niche. That being said, check out a band from Savannah, GA called Black Tusk. I did a video for them a few years back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txUynRHZesk
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
12.03.2013 - 04:51
Anthem

Whatever classification Down fits in, They rock. They do really draw from a southern influence. Pepper Kenean definatly has some southern roots.
Biggest trend, who knows... But I am seeing the Black Crowes in a month in Michingan.

I am 48 and have seen every evolution of rock/metal. Not sure there is much left to evolve.
----
I swear by my life and love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor shall I ask another to live for me.

John Galt
12.03.2013 - 05:10
theFIST

Written by Anthem on 12.03.2013 at 04:51

Whatever classification Down fits in, They rock. They do really draw from a southern influence. Pepper Kenean definatly has some southern roots.
Biggest trend, who knows... But I am seeing the Black Crowes in a month in Michingan.

I am 48 and have seen every evolution of rock/metal. Not sure there is much left to evolve.

you don"t think the style of Portal and similar bands leaves room for evolution?
or Blacklodge?
or Infernal Poetry?
or Dol Ammad?
i"d say in whichever direction you want to go from any of those there"s room for something
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
14.03.2013 - 14:41
helofloki

I think it's kind of funny when genres get geographical names like this. Because what about bands that want to sound like that from say, the north? Or what if a Canadian band wanted to do it? (might work, most of Canada is in southern Canada anyway!)

It reminds me of melodic 'european' death metal, like At The Gates and (early) In Flames. There were a ton of American bands that followed that trend.
15.03.2013 - 02:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by helofloki on 14.03.2013 at 14:41

I think it's kind of funny when genres get geographical names like this. Because what about bands that want to sound like that from say, the north? Or what if a Canadian band wanted to do it? (might work, most of Canada is in southern Canada anyway!)

It reminds me of melodic 'european' death metal, like At The Gates and (early) In Flames. There were a ton of American bands that followed that trend.

Southern Rock bands hmm ZZ Top si from West ... I think orgins of sound is important such muisc born in soutrh, based on blues, jazz, and souther folkore, even visiauly bands dress like ppl do there
and there is only fiew georaphical genres-bay area thrash, new your hard core, swedish death metal aka Göteborg metal, bay area thrash, some say norvegian black metal ---- so
----

apos;'
[image]
15.03.2013 - 13:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 15.03.2013 at 02:13

Southern Rock bands hmm ZZ Top si from West ...

ZZ Top are from texas and since when is Texas in the west?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.03.2013 - 14:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.03.2013 at 13:24

Written by Bad English on 15.03.2013 at 02:13

Southern Rock bands hmm ZZ Top si from West ...

ZZ Top are from texas and since when is Texas in the west?

my mistace but there was some bands from California who plays souther metal/rock
EDDIT: BLS - California
CCR was frpm Lodi ??

well there was some from Cali .---- but biggest myth is Lynyrd Skynyrd is from Alabama , they are not
----

apos;'
[image]
31.05.2013 - 00:12
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Reality03 on 30.05.2013 at 18:04

"Black Label Society"

From California, and more heavy than southern.

Written by Reality03 on 30.05.2013 at 18:04

"Down"

We just done saying how Down is not southern metal, but sludge.
31.05.2013 - 00:21
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Reality03 on 31.05.2013 at 00:19

Yes they are sludge but they have southern influences aswell, a lot from Lynyrd Skynyrd.

True, but influences in music does not directly associate them with the genre.
01.06.2013 - 08:56
Metal|Bleed

I'm looking for some southern rock bands like Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, but i don't like "depressive"/metalcore vocals in refrains (for example, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster - Just a Shock has good guitar riff, but refrain is quite.. weak for me).
----
Metal T-shirts, Metal accessories, Metal Pants, Metal posters.... For true metal fans only on http://www.metal-shop.eu/bands/
05.06.2013 - 18:06
Bulletdodger

Written by squidrick420 on 06.03.2013 at 05:32

I wouldn't say next big subgenre, southern metal has been going strong for many years now; at least locally i can say it is. I live in Asheville NC which is a small mountain city in the south (not a very southern city at all, but everywhere else is). I grew up hearing bands like The Showdown, Maylene and The Sons Of The Disaster, He Is Legend, and Once Nothing.

Other southern metal bands worthy of mentioning are Alabama Thunderpussy, Superjoint Ritual (Hank Wiliams III is their bassist), Assjack (Hank Williams III is the only member, you cant get more southern than that), Corrosion Of Conformity, and several others I cant seem to think of at the moment.

Thanks for the recommendations, heard some assjack and like it so far.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
16.06.2013 - 20:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
BTW New Yourkers Alberat Cross also can be here, I have album ''Broken Side Of Time''
----

apos;'
[image]
15.10.2016 - 22:28
kuvalda

Wail Bone, Beastwars, Dezperadoz, Stoner Train, Hellyeah, The Rex Carrol Band, OIL CARTER, HELLIGATORS, GHOULTOWN,