Metal Storm logo
2013 prog recommendations thread

11.03.2013 - 17:54
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
The first quarter of 2013 has already gone by and left us with some splendid prog! Let's start with some albums with better MS coverage:

1) The fabulous fabulous Jolly, staff-picked by fabulous fabulous Ivor. Their 2013 album, The Audio Guide To Happiness (Part 2) is the second part of The Audio Guide To Happiness (Part 1) (logically), that has come out in 2011, and I am really loving it. Top recommendations. They'll support Riverside on the New Generation Tour, alongside with Imminent Sonic Destruction - anyone seeing them?
2) Speaking of Riverside... I've scanned a couple of other websites yesterday and SONGS seems to be generally well-received. So it's not just my raving review, lol.
3) I never thought I'd be interested in listening to a Steven Wilson solo album, but that video off The Raven That Refused To Sing is soooooo beautiful. Anyone listened to it or planning to?

I've heard great things about the new Aeon Zen, Spock's Beard, My Soliloquy to mention a few (I'm sure I could dig up a few more but I am too lazy right now)

For something covered a lot less:
4) Big Big Train are *insert a bad train pun here*. Somewhat more traditional prog rock, in the 70's vein, with BEAUTIFUL vocals and instrumentation. Some of their albums are available for full streaming on their bandcamp, including last year's English Electric 1, and English Electric 2, which came out a week or so ago. As a friend put it, those are essentially two parts of a concept about weird awesome Englishmen and a hedgerow. Really awesome stuff, I'm in love with it.
----
7.0 means the album is good
11.03.2013 - 19:44
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Wow, Milena is hanging out with the plebeians again

I liked Steven Wilson's one very much, the videoclip is incredibly beautiful indeed. I still prefer his previous effort, though this one is probably more compatible with Porcupine Tree fans who don't dig Wilson's solo stuff.
I also liked Riverside's one, but didn't love it. And I saw the promo song by Jolly and I'm definitely interested!

Nothing new to add for now, but I'll probably be watching this thread closely.
11.03.2013 - 19:55
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Psssshhhht you, no one's a plebeian on Metal Storm you're not supposed to just watch, but to contribute as well! I've been really busy with school and my MS time was mostly dedicated to the Awards, so I know I must be at least 15 albums behind.
----
11.03.2013 - 20:21
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Sure I'll be contributing as well. Right now I don't have anything besides what has been mentioned...
Anyway I think this year I'll be dedicating most of my time to old music and not so much to checking new stuff, but I'll point out any ridiculously underground stuff I may come across. Like Random's next album that'll be released this year and probably nobody here will be expecting it
11.03.2013 - 22:01
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Spock's Beard have their new album out - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep.
Disperse - Living Mirrors
The Aurora Project - Selling The Aggression

I loves the new ones from Steven Wilson and Riverside
That's it for now, I'll be back
11.03.2013 - 22:29
Urs Blank
Aside from those already mentioned, I'd add:

Tellus Requiem - Invictus (The 11th Hour)

Kingcrow - In Crescendo

Both rather generic yet enjoyable Progressive Metal albums.
11.03.2013 - 22:46
JohnDoe
Account deleted
^ I haven't listened to the new Kingcrow yet, but I definitely will.
11.03.2013 - 23:14
Starchild
Topic that i'll definitely going to follow very closely..

this year has started really well for prog, some great albums out there...
so, my favourite so far is: Kingcrow - In Crescendo, beautiful album, must hear!
new riverside is also great, really enjoying it a lot, and also new Aeon Zen is pretty neat.

Don't know why but Steven Wilson's solo stuff never worked for me, i always found it pretty boring, so i didn't check out his new album yet, should I?
also, I still need to listen new Jolly, Disperse, Spock's Beard, and new DGM is also coming later this month.
12.03.2013 - 16:51
Edmund Fogg
Posted it in the New album thread but whatever! It will get mucho appreciation here.

Intronaut has made their newest release available for streaiming on this weird dutch website. Sounds great!

Intronaut - Habitual Leviations (Instilling Words With Tones)

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/luisterpaal/albums/Intronaut.html
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
12.03.2013 - 19:00
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Ørkenkjøtt's new EP. A track (not sure if the only one on the EP) can be heard here: http://www.nordicrecords.no/forside/artister/oyekontrakt/

13.03.2013 - 03:05
BlackHalo83
Lol hmmmmmm I've got nothing
13.03.2013 - 04:04
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
post/prog rock/metal/experimental/whatever-the-fuck-this-is

http://worldengine.bandcamp.com/album/dark-matters
----
rekt
13.03.2013 - 14:28
Edmund Fogg
Progressive Post Hardcore. Judging by the first track available, this album is lining up to be a blast.

Stolas - Living Creatures

Bandcamp
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
15.03.2013 - 02:19
Lit.
Account deleted
I gotta listen to those two Jolly albums eventually.
02.04.2013 - 16:13
Therkal
It's not really a 2013 release but, the dutch band called "Unwritten Pages" has quite some nice tunes.

Progressive rock / metal;

Unwritten Pages - Fringe Kitchen

http://unwrittenpages.bandcamp.com/
04.04.2013 - 00:31
Metal_Elle
The new Spock's Beard album, intitled "Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep", is very good. Also the new Riverside's one, "Shrine of New Generation Slaves" is very nice.
04.04.2013 - 10:52
Therkal
Distorted Harmony - Utopia

Great band from Israel!

http://distortedharm0ny.bandcamp.com/
07.04.2013 - 23:46
JÄY
Metal slave
08.04.2013 - 01:03
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
My interest has been piqued since I read R'Vannith's review of DGM but just now got around to listening. This particular songs vaguely reminds me of Star One. In an awesome, awesome way.

Gotta hear the rest!!

And Milena, thank you for opening this thread. I'll be watching it closely Last year was kind of a let down for prog and I'm just barely listening to the genre much anymore. If I don't get some new prog bands soon I'll have to give up my place among the prog babes!!!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
10.04.2013 - 22:03
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
So... I haven't been paying attention much lately. What's new?
----
14.04.2013 - 04:55
Edible Autopsy
Not a 2013 album but Chaos Divine's "The Human Connection" was incredible. Still digging the opening track.
----
So let it be written
So let it be done
I've be sent here by the chosen one

So let it be written
So let it be done
To kill the first born pharoah son

I'm Creeping Death
14.04.2013 - 08:23
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Nefarious found these Canadians, Anciients, and had me create a profile for them so he could Staff Pick their debut, it's really good.

For fans of Ihsahn, Leprous, Ørkenkjøtt, Mastodon (or at least these are bands I hear similarities to).

----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

14.04.2013 - 09:10
Stabby
Account deleted
R'Vannith's review also made me listen to the new DGM. And I liked it, imagine that. A good quality review can usually tell me whether or not I'll like it before I hear it. But not if I'll love-it-love-it. Milena seems to have a knack for predicting that though

I don't have much to add except that Steven Wilson, Spock's Beard, Aeon Zen, and of course Riverside were downright tasty too. I'm glad there's a place where people with great taste like to share music. Being your guys' prog puppet is a sweet deal.
14.04.2013 - 17:53
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Therkal on 04.04.2013 at 10:52

Great band from Israel!

This was last year.
14.04.2013 - 17:54
JohnDoe
Account deleted
The new Kingcrow album is great indeed.
14.04.2013 - 20:03
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Susan on 08.04.2013 at 01:03

Last year was kind of a let down for prog and I'm just barely listening to the genre much anymore. If I don't get some new prog bands soon I'll have to give up my place among the prog babes!!!!

I disagree that last year was a letdown. Maybe you feel like there wasn't enough REALLY strong albums? I think it was a really healthy year. Also, there's no way you are leaving the prog babes
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.04.2013 - 22:15
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by BloodTears on 14.04.2013 at 20:03

Written by Susan on 08.04.2013 at 01:03

Last year was kind of a let down for prog and I'm just barely listening to the genre much anymore. If I don't get some new prog bands soon I'll have to give up my place among the prog babes!!!!

I disagree that last year was a letdown. Maybe you feel like there wasn't enough REALLY strong albums? I think it was a really healthy year. Also, there's no way you are leaving the prog babes

I heard some "good" stuff but didn't hear many releases that I was going to really love after the year was over - but that is totally my fault. I didn't give the genre enough attention or really look hard enough. Not this year, though! I'm diving in head first
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
15.04.2013 - 20:56
Therkal
Written by Guest on 14.04.2013 at 17:53

Written by Therkal on 04.04.2013 at 10:52

Great band from Israel!

This was last year.

You're right my friend. But it's an awesome album nontheless!
22.04.2013 - 15:45
Therkal
Apple Pie - The Gates of Never

This is really good!

http://applepieband.org/
03.06.2013 - 03:07
Unhealer
Eclecticist

This could be interesting... just found them in the related videos to an Anciients song.