Metal Storm logo
The Best "(Gothic) Beauty And The Beast" Albums

Here's a list of mostly Gothic Metal albums, exclusively of the "Beauty and the Beast" type (which refers to clean "angelic" female vocals contrasted with male growls/screams). I made this list because it's one of my all-time favourite subgenres of which I own "a lot" of great albums. Since there are several lists of the best Gothic Metal albums on MS, I didn't feel like creating a similar one, but rather an exclusive list solely comprised of this subgenre. It could be useful as a guide for people who are searching for these kinds of albums, though I'm very open to suggestions since I obviously haven't heard all great albums yet. Lastly, everything on this list is at least worth a 7.5/10 rating and I only add a maximum of 2 albums per band.

Created by: Erik M. | 12.03.2013

1. Tristania - Widow's Weeds
2. The Sins Of Thy Beloved - Lake Of Sorrow
3. Draconian - Where Lovers Mourn
4. Epica - The Phantom Agony
5. Theatre Of Tragedy - Velvet Darkness They Fear
6. Tristania - Beyond The Veil
7. Silentium - Altum
8. Estatic Fear - A Sombre Dance
9. Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell
10. After Forever - Decipher
11. Sirenia - At Sixes And Sevens
12. Penumbra - Seclusion
13. Unholy - Gracefallen
14. After Forever - Prison Of Desire
15. Theatre Of Tragedy - Theatre Of Tragedy
16. Galadriel - The Mirror Of Ages
17. The Sins Of Thy Beloved - Perpetual Desolation
18. Sirenia - An Elixir For Existence
19. Rise Of Avernus - L'Appel Du Vide
20. Virgin Black - Requiem - Fortissimo
21. Trail Of Tears - A New Dimension Of Might
22. Epica - The Divine Conspiracy
23. Lethian Dreams - Red Silence Lodge
24. Lycanthia - Oligarchy
25. Penumbra - Emanate
26. Via Mistica - Fallen Angels
27. Within Temptation - Enter
28. Galadriel - Oblivion
29. Darzamat - Solfernus' Path
30. How Like A Winter - ...Beyond My Grey Wake
31. The Gathering - Always...
32. Tears Of Magdalena - Myths And Legends
33. Remembrance - Fall, Obsidian Night
34. To Cast A Shadow - In Memory Of
35. Evig Natt - I Am Silence
36. Leaves' Eyes - Lovelorn
37. Diabulus In Musica - The Wanderer
38. NOT YET RANKED ALBUMS
39. Mandrake - Forever
40. Orphanage - By Time Alone
41. Sunterra - Lost Time
42. Trail Of Tears - Bloodstained Endurance
43. Whispering Forest - Of Shadows And Pale Light

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Erik M. ]

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 87   Visited by: 396 users
25.03.2013 - 19:21
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Would that make Kiske the beauty and Gossow the beast? That would actually make sense, since Kiske is clearly more beautiful.
25.03.2013 - 21:48
Erik M.

Written by M C Vice on 25.03.2013 at 06:35

Are there any bands that use a reverse of the beauty and beast vocals? Harsh female and clean male, I mean. Gossow/Kiske for example.

I'm not sure, but I don't think I'm going to add music like that, since I don't like Arch Enemy anymore. And the beauty must be a female after all. I did add your suggestions though.

Written by Azarath on 25.03.2013 at 19:21

Would that make Kiske the beauty and Gossow the beast? That would actually make sense, since Kiske is clearly more beautiful.

Haha, I wouldn't say that, though I think Gossow is very unattractive nonetheless. As a guy, you don't really want a women to be physically (in brute strength that is) superior, am I right?

Written by Guest on 18.03.2013 at 11:32

Great list, I see we have a similar taste
I also have a suggestion, Diabulus In Musica - The Wanderer. It's not strictly Gothic Metal, more like Symphonic, but the dual vocals are there. Very similar to Epica.

Okay, I listened to it and added Epica's debut... wait, I mean Diabulus In Musica's debut. It just feels I was listening to Epica, hahaha. I didn't add their second album because I couldn't find it as easily as their debut.
26.03.2013 - 09:46
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Erik M. on 25.03.2013 at 21:48

Are there any bands that use a reverse of the beauty and beast vocals? Harsh female and clean male, I mean. Gossow/Kiske for example.

I'm not sure, but I don't think I'm going to add music like that, since I don't like Arch Enemy anymore. And the beauty must be a female after all. I did add your suggestions though.

I meant does anybody know of any bands that do that.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
26.03.2013 - 21:21
Rhiannon
Account deleted
Written by M C Vice on 26.03.2013 at 09:46

I meant does anybody know of any bands that do that.

I don't know any bands, just one song: Amaseffer - Midian. There Angela Gossow growls with Mats Levén (clean singing) and some folk singer guy.
This combination would be interesting, for sure

edit: fuck, the audio stops in the middle of this video. anyway, this song is a good example, maybe you can find it somewhere else.
27.03.2013 - 21:18
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish

As a guy, you don't really want a women to be physically (in brute strength that is) superior, am I right?

Well, actually... I'd be up for that.
27.03.2013 - 22:53
Erik M.

Written by Azarath on 27.03.2013 at 21:18

Well, actually... I'd be up for that.

Lol, I'm not, hahaha. Give me Vibeke (Tristania) any day of the week and not a manly chick like Angela Gossow.
06.04.2013 - 01:26
Ismarmlp

In the list are my favorite albums, although I would put "The Wanderer" of Diabulus In Musica. Also "Myths And Legends" Tears Of Magdalena.
06.04.2013 - 16:30
Erik M.

Written by Ismarmlp on 06.04.2013 at 01:26

In the list are my favorite albums, although I would put "The Wanderer" of Diabulus In Musica. Also "Myths And Legends" Tears Of Magdalena.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was about to check out The Wanderer since someone else who commented here suggested it, but I have never heard of Tears Of Magdalena, but I'll check both of them out.

Edit: I have added your suggestions, since they fit this list perfectly and I really liked both of them.
30.04.2013 - 20:16
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Not to be a bitch here, but I don't see the point of adding genres to the albums. Anyone could just click the bands/albums to find out and nearly all/most of them are 'gothic' anyway. On a positive note, I can see a few new bands here that I might check out .
30.04.2013 - 20:24
Erik M.

Written by CyberSymphony on 30.04.2013 at 20:16

Not to be a bitch here, but I don't see the point of adding genres to the albums. Anyone could just click the bands/albums to find out and nearly all/most of them are 'gothic' anyway. On a positive note, I can see a few new bands here that I might check out .

I actually agree with you. When I was adding them yesterday I had the same feeling and thought "what the hell, I'll just finish this now that I'm at it anyway". Yes, most of them are symphonic/gothic combined with doom, though a few albums are actually partly death or black too. But then again, why add ratings if one could easily click on the album to find out the rating? Obviously the rating would be my opinion, but they're highly subjective so more votes means basically a more reliable rating.

First I ordered the albums, then added ratings and now they're without ratings ordered alphabetically... with genres... which I might remove again. Maybe I should just delete this list?
30.04.2013 - 20:29
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by Erik M. on 30.04.2013 at 20:24

Written by CyberSymphony on 30.04.2013 at 20:16

I actually agree with you. When I was adding them yesterday I had the same feeling and thought "what the hell, I'll just finish this now that I'm at it anyway". Yes, most of them are symphonic/gothic combined with doom, though a few albums are actually partly death or black too. But then again, why add ratings if one could easily click on the album to find out the rating? Obviously the rating would be my opinion, but they're highly subjective so more votes means basically a more reliable rating.

First I ordered the albums, then added ratings and now they're without ratings ordered alphabetically... with genres... which I might remove again. Maybe I should just delete this list?

It is quite hard getting a list to look and easier for others to get interested. I would go against deleting the list as you've got alot of thumbs up and comments .
30.04.2013 - 20:36
Erik M.

Written by CyberSymphony on 30.04.2013 at 20:29

It is quite hard getting a list to look and easier for others to get interested. I would go against deleting the list as you've got alot of thumbs up and comments .

I'm actually satisfied with my other lists (especially my top 50 and debut albums ones) though not with this one. When I made this list I was listening a lot to these albums but now I'm not anymore, hence why I cannot rate/order the albums on this list like I wanted to do in the first place. Ah well, I'm sure I'll be in the mood again in the near future and then I'll just update the list. Although I wouldn't call 10 thumbs up "a lot". Let me know if there are any essential albums not on the list yet (though I highly doubt there are a lot of those left).
05.06.2013 - 21:33
Fritillaria
Account deleted
This Theatre Of Tragedy -Theatre Of Tragedy should be the first on the list if you ask me but why?The music, the atmosphere, the vocals,both female and male,the type of lyrical theme they used, the language they presented the lyrics with it,all and all are unique, then would be Lake of Sorrow in the second place
06.06.2013 - 17:49
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 05.06.2013 at 21:33

This Theatre Of Tragedy -Theatre Of Tragedy should be the first on the list if you ask me but why?The music, the atmosphere, the vocals,both female and male,the type of lyrical theme they used, the language they presented the lyrics with it,all and all are unique, then would be Lake of Sorrow in the second place

I decided to keep Lake of Sorrow at #1 for now, because people need to learn how brilliant that album is (but I also think it deserves to be #1, tied with Widow's Weeds).

Thanks for the +1 by the way. I don't agree with ToT's debut being THAT good to be honest (I promoted it on the list though). I still think Velvet Darkness They Fear is the better album of the two. Aegis comes 3rd for me, because it's way too soft for my taste. I enjoyed that one immensely the first couple of times, although I quickly grew bored of it and now I never really listen to it anymore.

The reasons you mention are good ones, although I think Velvet Darkness They Fear is superior when it comes to lyrics. The obvious example is the song "And When He Falleth", with a very interesting piece of dialogue. Enjoy that one a lot, but the best thing about that album for me remains the intro and the second song. Brilliantly done if you ask me. The only downside to the album is the last song. While it's a great song, it's not a very good closer.
06.06.2013 - 23:08
ANGEL REAPER

You might wanna check Matriarch -Revered Unto Ages
for me it is a interesting mix of 3 types of female vocals-beast-ish growls,hysteric shrieks and a operatic vocals ...unique at least ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
07.06.2013 - 01:16
Erik M.

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 06.06.2013 at 23:08

for me it is a interesting mix of 3 types of female vocals-beast-ish growls,hysteric shrieks and a operatic vocals ...unique at least ...

Thanks for the recommendation, but I won't add it to this list because this band isn't featured on MS. I'll still check it out though.
07.06.2013 - 01:18
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Erik M. on 07.06.2013 at 01:16

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 06.06.2013 at 23:08

Thanks for the recommendation, but I won't add it to this list because this band isn't featured on MS. I'll still check it out though.

i just want to recommend you some music,i dont care if it land on list
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
25.07.2013 - 12:55
Enissa

Mmm..Great list, and I agree on most of it, though I always thought of "Design Your Universe" as a more progressive direction for Epica, and I think you should add "The Divine Conspiracy" as it has more gothic vibe to it, plus its a masterpiece!
Plus, there's "World Of Glass" by Tristania, Definitely worth the listen if you haven't already, also try Nox Aurea's Via Gnosis and Ascending In Triumph, and I don't know if Virgin Black is count as Beaty & The Beast, but try their Requiem: Mezzo Forte, one of the best gothic albums ever (IMO)
Let me know if you need more
25.07.2013 - 20:53
Erik M.

Written by Enissa on 25.07.2013 at 12:55

Mmm..Great list, and I agree on most of it, though I always thought of "Design Your Universe" as a more progressive direction for Epica, and I think you should add "The Divine Conspiracy" as it has more gothic vibe to it, plus its a masterpiece!
Plus, there's "World Of Glass" by Tristania, Definitely worth the listen if you haven't already, also try Nox Aurea's Via Gnosis and Ascending In Triumph, and I don't know if Virgin Black is count as Beaty & The Beast, but try their Requiem: Mezzo Forte, one of the best gothic albums ever (IMO)
Let me know if you need more

Thanks!

I went ahead and added The Divine Conspiracy. The reason I had Design Your Universe on the list is because of one song (of course I'm talking about Kingdom of Heaven, which is a brilliant song), but overall I think it's a little less great than The Divine Conspiracy. Same goes for World of Glass (and of course I listened to it :lol): it's slightly better overall than Ashes, but some songs on Ashes are so good (Cure and Equilibrium for instance) that I added it initially.

I've heard a few albums by Virgin Black, but not the one you mentioned. Right now their latest album is on this list, but if the one you mentioned is like that one, then it's a large chance I'll add it too. I actually never heard of Nox Aurea before, but I'm going to check it out. If there are enough female vocals to be heard, along with harsh vocals/growls, then it qualifies for this list. I listened to the first song of the 2nd album and barely heard female vocals, so if the whole album is like that, I won't add it.

As for more suggestions, if you feel there are totally essential or amazing albums missing, then definitely let me know.
06.08.2013 - 16:29
InnerSelf
proofread free
We DO have similar tastes in music ... your top 3 albums were the first to spring into my mind when i read the name of the list. Though I'd definitely put Moonspell's Wolfheart in the top 5.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
06.08.2013 - 22:31
Erik M.

Written by InnerSelf on 06.08.2013 at 16:29

We DO have similar tastes in music ... your top 3 albums were the first to spring into my mind when i read the name of the list. Though I'd definitely put Moonspell's Wolfheart in the top 5.

Yep, it seems that way. Good to know people appreciate this list, hehe. I'm quite satisfied with it myself. Wolfheart is an interesting suggestion, but I don't think I'll add it because only a couple of songs (2 or 3 I think) feature female vocals and overall I don't get that "beauty and the beast" vibe from that album, but I'll listen to it again and then decide whether to add it or not.
20.08.2013 - 14:54
Draugen

Hey!

I don't know if you are still looking to add more albums to this list, but if that's the case, then I would suggest Whispering Forest - Of Shadows And Pale Light. It's a really good but sadly overlooked album reminiscent of early Tristania and the like with some doom elements thrown into the mix as well.
22.08.2013 - 21:10
Erik M.

Written by Draugen on 20.08.2013 at 14:54

Hey!

I don't know if you are still looking to add more albums to this list, but if that's the case, then I would suggest Whispering Forest - Of Shadows And Pale Light. It's a really good but sadly overlooked album reminiscent of early Tristania and the like with some doom elements thrown into the mix as well.

Hi again. I added Whispering Forest's album (also to my other list) so I'm definitely going to check it out soon, so thanks for the recommendation. I'm always looking for more great albums for my lists so keep the suggestions coming.

Edit: you weren't kidding, this stuff sounds really awesome! Definitely my cup of tea. And seeing as this is also a debut AND a death doom album, I can add it to 3 lists of mine. By the way, to me it also has some My Dying Bride in it if you ask me. At least, that's the first band I thought of when listening to this.
23.08.2013 - 11:41
Draugen

Written by Erik M. on 22.08.2013 at 21:10

Edit: you weren't kidding, this stuff sounds really awesome! Definitely my cup of tea. And seeing as this is also a debut AND a death doom album, I can add it to 3 lists of mine. By the way, to me it also has some My Dying Bride in it if you ask me. At least, that's the first band I thought of when listening to this.

Glad you liked it!

Hopefully by now being on three of your lists it will get discovered by more people.
11.10.2013 - 23:01
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Well I see a lot of familiar names here so this list totally nails it.
Also, great to see Darzamat - Solfernus' Path here. \m/ I'm listening to it at the moment.
11.10.2013 - 23:05
Erik M.

Written by Monolithic on 11.10.2013 at 23:01

Well I see a lot of familiar names here so this list totally nails it.
Also, great to see Darzamat - Solfernus' Path here. \m/ I'm listening to it at the moment.

Thanks man. This list is really almost complete... just have to rank those last few albums and then it's done. Although when I discover a new album worthy of this list then I add it too of course.
13.10.2013 - 17:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
The Gathering - Always is way too low on this list as is Orphanage
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.10.2013 - 22:26
Erik M.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.10.2013 at 17:01

The Gathering - Always is way too low on this list as is Orphanage

Orphanage isn't ranked yet because I've still not formed a proper opinion on it. Haven't listened to The Gathering in a while, but I wasn't amazed by it by any means, just a very good album. Maybe because the Youtube quality sucked, I'm not sure. In any case, I'll spin it again soon to find out.
10.05.2014 - 03:09
Myriads

Great list here! You have a bunch of my favourite bands and albums listed and the top few spots are definitely deserved. I highly recommend trying a new band called Akathisia. They've just released a digital EP which sounds closer to Widow's Weeds than almost anything else I've ever heard from the last ten years: http://akathisia.bandcamp.com/album/first-impact
10.05.2014 - 04:27
Myriads

Another suggestion while I'm at it :p Nox Aurea from Sweden. Their first album is the biggest piece of Draconian worship ever, while their second is a little less heavy on the gothic metal part and more on death doom. Two members went on to form When Nothing Remains, who have worked with Johan of Draconian himself now!

Hits total: 32428 | This month: 36