Metal Storm logo
MS Awards 2012 Staff Picks and Band Feedback

Written by: Promonex
Published: 16.03.2013

Thanks to everyone who voted in the Metal Storm Awards this past February! Perhaps some of your top albums won their categories, and perhaps you discovered some bands among this year's nominees. We know everyone tries to be diligent and listen to EVERY album nominated in their choice genre categories. Right? RIGHT? Okay, maybe you don't have time to spin every single record, and we understand that. So here we have the Staff Picks: we staff and elite at Metal Storm pooled our collective love of metal music to select the best records you may or may not have heard from this past year. So before saying goodbye to 2012, be sure to find your favorite genres below and check out that album.

Here's The Best Metal Albums of the Year as selected by the Metal Storm Staff:

2012 Metal Storm Staff Picks

Alternative Metal
Klone - The Dreamer's Hideaway

Avantgarde/Experimental Metal
Metallic Taste Of Blood - Metallic Taste Of Blood

Black Metal
The Great Old Ones - Al Azif

Death Metal
Ævangelist - De Masticatione Mortuorum In Tumulis

Djent/Math Metal
Bend The Sky - Origins

Doom Metal
Abske Fides - Abske Fides

Extreme Doom Metal
Faal - The Clouds Are Burning

Folk/Pagan/Viking Metal
Dordeduh - Dar De Duh

Gothic Metal
The Foreshadowing - Second World

Grindcore
Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas

Hard Rock
Jess And The Ancient Ones - Jess And The Ancient Ones

Hardcore/Metalcore/Deathcore
Wolfbrigade - Damned

Heavy/Melodic Metal
Christian Mistress - Possession

Industrial/Cyber/Electronic Metal
Blut Aus Nord - 777 - Cosmosophy

Melodeath/Extreme Power/Gothenburg Metal
Kälter - Ubuntu

Melodic Black Metal/Metalgaze
Taranis - Kingdom

Post-Metal
Sunpocrisy - Samaroid Dioramas

Power Metal
Orden Ogan - To The End

Progressive Metal
Enochian Theory - Life... And All It Entails

Sludge/Stoner Metal
Royal Thunder - CVI

Symphonic Metal
Aberrant Vascular - Aegisthus

Thrash Metal
Deathhammer - Onward To The Pits

Debut
Royal Thunder - CVI

Clandestine Cut Of The Year
Spelljammer - Vol. II

Happy with the results? We know a lot of the bands, who have taken home an award in either the fan's or the staff's vote, are. Of course we don't want to withhold their messages. Here goes:

Be'lakor, your winners in The Best Melodic Death Metal Album category:
Quote:
We're honored to have won this award and would like to thank the many metal storm users who have supported us over the years. We're already writing new material, and this process is looking like being an exciting and rewarding one.

Cheers,
The Be'lakor guys.

Xandria, your winners in The Best Symphonic Metal Album category:
Quote:
Hello makers and readers of Metal Storm!
We really appreciate that you have chosen our album Neverworld's End as the best symphonic metal release in 2012! Thank you very much!
We put so much sweat and heart's blood into this album and we are so very happy about the amazing feedback it gets!
Thank you and hope to see you on tour!

Gerit, Marco, Manuela, Philip and Steven

Kälter, staff's winners in The Best Melodic Death Metal Album category:
Quote:
2012 has been an intense year for Kälter with the release of our 2nd full-lengh album Ubuntu and the release of our first videoclip. We devoted our life to this amazing musical project since 2007 and it's really nice to see that our music is enjoyed all around the world. We just want to dedicate this message to all the members of the Kälter Tribe! We love you and we will always share our passion with you. Finally, we just want to thanks all the team at MetalStorm.net for believing in us.

Orden Ogan, staff's winners in The Best Power Metal Album category:
Quote:
We are absolutely overwhelmed by the worldwide success of To The End and all those great words about that record by journalists and fans alike. Hope to see you all on tour soon!

Attila Bakos of Taranis, staff's winners in The Best Melodic Black Metal Album category:
Quote:
I was very surprised when I found out that my album was nominated for the Metal Storm Awards 2012. I composed the songs for Kingdom 12 years ago, and I wasn't even sure if this music would find its place amongst the mass of releases out there. I'm very happy it did, so thank you all for your votes and kind words, it gives me strength to carry on. I'm working on a new material now, which I plan to release later this year. It's inevitably different from Kingdom, but I still do metal, and I still like epicness. I left the black metal roots, the new songs are more peaceful and balanced, exploring the realms of post-rock/doom/ambient with a taste of folk, as usual. I'll only use clean vocals in my native language, Hungarian. So keep your eyes open! Labels, you are welcomed as well.

Enochian Theory, staff's winners in The Best Progressive Metal Album category:
Quote:
Thank you to everyone who is spreading the word about Enochian Theory and for voting our latest record as the best progressive metal album of the year. It is quite unbelievable!

We are very, very pleased to have been given this award and to be receiving such amazing support from the readers and writers of this very supportive website.

We are genuinely humbled and amazed by this...

Thank everyone who has listened to the record...please keep supporting the band!

We are working hard to build our structures.

Watch the skies...

Debemur Morti Productions, the label of Blut Aus Nord, winners in The Best Industrial Metal Album category in BOTH the fan and the staff vote:
Quote:
I'd like to express my gratitude to the whole Metal Storm staff for providing quality content over the years. We, at DMP, are very much honoured to see some of our releases ending in the top awards, even more when both staff and readers decide to pick Blut Aus Nord as the best of the best for 2012 !

The Great Old Ones, staff's winners in The Best Black Metal Album category:
Quote:
We're stoked to learn that Al Azif is selected The Best Black Metal Album of the Year! Thank you guys! We're getting so much support from the staff and all of you on Metal Storm since the album release, we can't thank you enough. Catch us on tour this year and let's share some beers!

Metallic Taste Of Blood, staff's winners in The Best Avantgarde Metal category:
Quote:
Wow! We are really honoured and astonished to be nominated by metalstorm.net! Keep up the great work guys!

The Foreshadowing, the staff choice for Best Gothic Metal release, had this to say:
Quote:
Hails from The Foreshadowing! Let us say it's a great honour for us that Second World has been chosen as best gothic metal album of 2012 from the Metal Storm staff! And we would also thank all the fans who rated our album as their best one! This makes all of our efforts and sacrifices trustworthy and successful, since it's an important feedback coming from one of the best metal webzine in the world, therefore we appreciate it!!! Keep up supporting our doomy and mournful tunes!

Horns up!
The Foreshadowing

Bend The Sky, staff's winners in The Best Djent/Math Metal Album category:
Quote:
We're overwhelmed with the responses Origins has received!

To be in the same top 10 as Meshuggah, Skyharbor and many other great bands just blows our minds every day.

We cannot thank everyone enough for sharing our music and helping us along the way, fans and metalstorm users/staff, we are so grateful for everything! Thanks!!

We'll also be releasing an EP Observatory on 31st March. We hope you check it out, available free from our bandcamp page.

Klone, staff's winners in The Best Alternative Metal category:
Quote:
We're really happy, it's the first time that an international webzine choose us as the best album of the year; so we're really proud of it! Thanks to you and all the fans who have voted for us.

Faal, staff's winners in The Best Extreme Doom Metal category:
Quote:
We as Faal are honored that our latest album is chosen as the best extreme doom metal album from 2012 by the Metalstorm staff! Especially when you see the other bands in the list!

Edmond AKA Hupogrammos of Dordeduh, the staff choice for The Best Folk Metal album, replied this:
Quote:
It's great news for us and it makes us all very happy to gain such interest and appreciation for our album. Many thanks to the Metal Storm team and to all the people around the word that voted for us. These kinds of gestures bring us extra motivation and keep us alive. Greetings to all Metal Storm readers!

Newcomers Spelljammer had this to say about the band's Clandestine Cut Of The Year staff pick:
Quote:
Wow, what an honor to have Vol II chosen as Clandestine Cut of the Year. We really appreciate everyone who voted for us and of course every one who has supported us by buying our album. Thank you also to Metal Storm for picking us! This is really cool and very unexpected.

Matron Thorn of Ævangelist, staff's winners in The Best Death Metal Album category:
Quote:
We are honored and enthusiastic to be recognized for this and we can assure you that this first movement is only an omen of the things to come.

Their label I, Voidhanger even has shared some exciting news for Ævangelist's fans:
Quote:
We are very pleased to hear that the staff and readers of Metal Storm liked Ævangelist's De Masticatione Mortuorum In Tumulis so much. We have licensed the album to Blood Harvest Records, which is going to release it as a gatefold 2-LP with bonus track in the near future. But De Masticatione... is just the beginning, as the band is ready to climb higher peaks. In next months we are going to release a limited 7" EP with 2 new and exclusive songs to celebrate Ævangelist's live debut in late June, on the stage of the Martyrdoom Festival in Brooklyn, NY. The band will also contribute an exclusive track to the next chapter of Yogsothery, our series of tributes to the Lovecraftian spirit. The song, a 14-minute monolith of dark and annihilating chaos, has already been recorded under the title of "Abstract Catharsis", and is the sonic statement of Ævangelist's perennial quest for new abysscapes of trascendent evil to explore.

Sounds spooky, eh?

And we'd like to hand out another award for The One Reply That Had Us On The Floor Laughing - here's the response from your winners in The Best Black Metal Album category:

Quote:
Good grief, that was most unexpected! We're not sure what to say, really... I didn't think buying all those votes in exchange for drugs and gin would actually work, but I guess I've been proved wrong - I owe you sixpence, Curse. We shall put this award on the Club mantelpiece, next to our London Illustrated News' "Most luxuriant (while inebriated) moustache" award for 1889.

The Gentleman
A Forest Of Stars

So, this wraps up this year's award season here at Metal Storm. We hope you had as much fun as we did and discovered one or the other band whose awesomeness you weren't aware of before. If so, please let us know which ones in the comments below.

And now: into the future! Let's see what exciting music 2013 has in store for us...

Comments

Comments: 26   Visited by: 523 users
16.03.2013 - 08:10
ld50

Ævangelist is great pick for best death metal release of the year; it's also mine if you couldn't sense my inference. So, well done in that regard. If we can't leave it the users to vote for the best, at least you guys picked up the slack!

I would have chosen Pallbearer - Sorrow & Extinction for best doom release of the year and Svartidaudi, along with MGLA for best black metal releases of the year, but Abske Fides and The Great Old Ones are also good picks.

What constitutes "extreme doom metal" anyways? "Extreme" is such a subjective and meanlingless term.
16.03.2013 - 08:12
mz

Nice to see that Ævangelist won here (although I have not listened to all DM nominates haha). Also, I thought Liber II would win BM competitions (again, I had not listened too all nominates including tGOO).
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
16.03.2013 - 09:06
ld50

Well, Liber II is an EP, technically. However, it would be right up there with Svartidaudi and MGLA if it was an LP. It's excellent and very much superior to Liber I. Either way, it's better than most black metal material released in 2012.
16.03.2013 - 09:39
PocketMetal

Agreed with almost everything , except avantgarde , symphonic and progressive . but still great choices ... this really is the better MS awards .
16.03.2013 - 10:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Aberrant Vascular was really the underdog of that category... and easily the best one. Good to see bands that don't play it safe in an otherwise stale genre.

Written by ld50 on 16.03.2013 at 08:10
What constitutes "extreme doom metal" anyways? "Extreme" is such a subjective and meanlingless term.

Doom bands that use the influence of genres like death, black or even drone to make a harsher sound... The doom metal category is about the more traditional bands while the extreme one gets death/doom, black/doom, funeral doom, you get the point.

I mean, would you put a band like Evoken or Alkerdeel in the same category as Pale Divine or Saturnus?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.03.2013 - 11:20
Fredd
Account deleted
Great
16.03.2013 - 13:11
InnerSelf
proofread free
AFoS hahaha ! nice picks, I'll be sure to check the albums that i haven‛t checked yet.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
16.03.2013 - 15:20
Vombatus
Potorro
Eh, the results did change alot compared to the readers ! Well, it nice to see the staff doesn't always follow the popularity flow...
16.03.2013 - 17:36
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Perfect hit, staff!

nice to see the pop-up of Deathhammer, Christian Mistress and Faal greatness. otherwise, result of MS awards 2012 crushed many great talents. Now through staff picks I really wish popped-up unearthed "great talents" will rose to awesome of the awesomeness level.

once again, great picks.
16.03.2013 - 19:16
mz

Written by ld50 on 16.03.2013 at 09:06

Well, Liber II is an EP, technically. However, it would be right up there with Svartidaudi and MGLA if it was an LP. It's excellent and very much superior to Liber I. Either way, it's better than most black metal material released in 2012.

Liber II was an EP but got nominated for MS awards so I think there was technically no problem if staff really chose that.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
16.03.2013 - 20:27
CyberSymphony
Ollie
A Forest of stars's quote was great . The post, metalgaze, gothic and sludge picks I agree with, the rest? not so sure. Nice to see Be'lakor, Xandria and others with the positives and thanks you's.
16.03.2013 - 22:47
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Thumbs up for Taranis...dont know any of the rest, lol...i thought listening to 111 albums this year will get me some horizons, but hell no
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.03.2013 - 00:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ellrohir on 16.03.2013 at 22:47

i thought listening to 111 albums this year will get me some horizons, but hell no

even listening to over 500 albums last year didn't give me some horizon
Far more than 5,000 metal albums are released every single year, so, go figure. It is impossible to hear every single album released each year
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.03.2013 - 08:02
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Wow, so Elysian Blaze didn't win extreme doom in either the regular vote or the staff picks? Pretty surprising to me, if we're judging in terms of sheer compositional skill, Blood Geometry takes the cake over a large majority of the other albums released last year, not just within the extreme doom category.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
17.03.2013 - 14:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Auntie Sahar on 17.03.2013 at 08:02
Wow, so Elysian Blaze didn't win extreme doom in either the regular vote or the staff picks? Pretty surprising to me, if we're judging in terms of sheer compositional skill, Blood Geometry takes the cake over a large majority of the other albums released last year, not just within the extreme doom category.

The process for that category was all over the place tbh. I personally loved everything so it was a tough call but in the end I was happy with pretty much anyone being the winner. I actually wanted it to win both as well but just because I liked it so much. I never really gave a crap about being objective with the compositional skills and stuff, just if I like it... and I'm sure most guys vote the same way in the staff.

Also, Elysian Blaze not winning in the regular vote is totally NOT surprising.
----
Rod, let me love you.
17.03.2013 - 20:12
Mattybu

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.03.2013 at 00:51

Written by Ellrohir on 16.03.2013 at 22:47

i thought listening to 111 albums this year will get me some horizons, but hell no

even listening to over 500 albums last year didn't give me some horizon
Far more than 5,000 metal albums are released every single year, so, go figure. It is impossible to hear every single album released each year

Wow I thought the 10 or so albums I listened to in 2012 gave me the general idea of what was going on

Joking aside if your statistic is true, no human being has the time to listen to 5000 albums, unless you were to just preside in a dungeon and do nothing but listen to metal albums with every second of your time.
17.03.2013 - 21:51
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Seems like 3 of my picks are here. I should check out the rest of the bands though. I haven't heard any on the list apart from Royal Thunder, Klone, Christian Mistress and Sunpocripsy
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
17.03.2013 - 22:16
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I think we agreed in just one album anyway, most of these I've discovered thanks to the awards and are excellent listens indeed.
17.03.2013 - 23:36
Czerny Reiter

I'm surprised that Al-Asif won the BM category, I liked it well enough but don't rate it as competition to A Forest of Stars' or Reverence's efforts this year.

Glad to see Dordeduh getting their just recognition.
18.03.2013 - 03:27
JD
Account deleted
I'm glad Anaal Nathrakh, Spelljammer, and Royal Thunder made it here, they really deserve it
18.03.2013 - 16:11
Rhiannon
Account deleted
It's always interesting to see the staff picks, although I usually don't agree with them. This time I'm surprised that Aberrant Vascular won the Symphonic category, they were one of the weakest there. But this list made me check out Jess And The Ancient Ones, and I'm glad that I did, that is a good album/band.
18.03.2013 - 23:56
Walter Iego
Author
A lot of good stuff in there; amazing musicians and so much talent.
27.03.2013 - 21:17
Justicelust

Awesome. great to see Bend The Sky, Taranis, and Sunpocrisy as the winners here
28.03.2013 - 15:40
Zap
Ahaha, A Forest Of Stars
01.04.2013 - 17:56
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I am NOT crazy! Sunpocrisy's release was my AOTY! Also, Enochian Theory, Klone and The Great Old Ones are excellent choices.
----
rekt
01.04.2013 - 18:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by tea[m]ster on 01.04.2013 at 17:56
I am NOT crazy! Sunpocrisy's release was my AOTY! Also, Enochian Theory, Klone and The Great Old Ones are excellent choices.

The moment the article was almost ready to go I knew you would like some of the results.
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 14380 | This month: 20