Act #2
07. Gunpowder Chant
08. Infralove
09. Wedding March For A Bullet
10. Qualms Of Conscience
11. Zodiac Virtues
12. Porcelain Judas
13. Pink Noise Waltz

Music like this doesn't come out that often; nowadays, in the metal scene, everyone seems to be doing what bands from the 80's and early 90's already shaped, most metal music kept recycling itself over and over again until we sadly got used to that fact without minding much. When a band like D:S:O suddenly appears and breaks the whole metal scheme with such an original sound and renewed vibe, I just can't help to be utterly impressed as I am right now.

D:S:O successfully combines a rich and meticulous preference for diverse connotations such as Swing, Flamenco, Jazz, Gothic Metal, Progressive Metal, Symphonic Metal and Orchestral undertones in the whole album (who knows which genres I'm missing here); and in the end we have one of the most interesting albums this year. "The Butchers Ballroom" is an overwhelming experience that generates all kind of feelings from the beginning to the very end, making you want to replay the piece over an over again until your ears feel anesthetized.

I can't even explain how worthwhile this album is; from the overture you'll understand this is like nothing you've ever heard before. Songs like "Heroines", "Pink Noise Waltz", or "Wedding March For A Bullet" are blatant explosions showing the strength and power that D:S:O dwells, but cuts like "D'angelo", "Balrog Boogie" or "Zodiac Virtues" manage to show an astonishing ensemble that perfects the ability of music as a complex art. Musically, "The Butcher's Ballroom" is so complex and intricate that it could take a whole article to analyze the depths of every single track wrapping it; the instrumentation is skilled, the vocals are both beautiful and dominant, the atmospheres are dark in Act#1 but strong in Act#2, so as you can see this album has everything a music fan could wish for.

Production-wise the album is really clean, the layout is very suggestive and the lyrical content is outstanding, to find out more you'll have to buy this album. To sum things up, D:S:O is the most promising band this year; if their debut had such an impact in the audience I can't even imagine how their next albums will sound like.

Highly Recommended!!!

Best Tracks: "Balrog Boogie", "Pink Noise Waltz", "Heroines".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written by Herzebeth | 12.12.2006

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 64   Visited by: 369 users
15.12.2006 - 22:24
Möbius
Account deleted
Like all the others.......Here and now I stop listening to faken grindcore and I'll get this CD as soon as possible. Soooo good! And I thought Haggard were the most inovative.
18.12.2006 - 00:17
Rating: 8
HardSide

Yeh hard to find their music...not even on irc...truely disapointing.
18.12.2006 - 11:34
claypool
Account deleted
The album can be bought here:

http://www.soniccathedral.com/shop/xcart/product.php?productid=33702&cat=0&page=1

and here (but it's currently out of stock, should be back this week)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/diabloswing
18.12.2006 - 14:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 18.12.2006 at 11:34

The album can be bought here:

http://www.soniccathedral.com/shop/xcart/product.php?productid=33702&cat=0&page=1

and here (but it's currently out of stock, should be back this week)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/diabloswing

Welcome mr. Daniel Håkansson.
Seems like The Butcher's Ballroom is gathering a large following here on Metal Storm
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.12.2006 - 17:55
Rating: 9
Herzebeth

yeah, Welcome man!! don't forget to inform us when the album gets on CD Baby again, for another sold-out rampage yeeeah
----
20.12.2006 - 18:53
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Checked the samples on their myspace, haha they're awsome!! Heaps groovey, and the cover art is great

To bad it would be hard for me to get a bought copy
----

Hellcunt Smurf
26.12.2006 - 00:25
AnarChrist

Hmm,it's all original and stuff,but damn those female vocals.Sorry.Annoying.
7/10
I guess it's not for everyone.
----
oh my fucking god, fucking dinosaurs
26.12.2006 - 14:38
Jeff
Freaky Admin
To all the ones who have the real CD, did you find the hidden track "before" the 1st track? (push play on the track 1 and click on "<<", you'll see that you have something before the 00:00...)

I'm wondering what the Balrog (it's a Balrog who is speaking there right ? ) is saying
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
26.12.2006 - 15:11
Basso
Account deleted
Written by Jeff on 26.12.2006 at 14:38

To all the ones who have the real CD, did you find the hidden track "before" the 1st track? (push play on the track 1 and click on "<<", you'll see that you have something before the 00:00...)

I'm wondering what the Balrog (it's a Balrog who is speaking there right ? ) is saying

IT'S SATANS MUSIC I TELL YOU! BURN THE BLASPHEMERS!
26.12.2006 - 19:05
Herzebeth

Written by Jeff on 26.12.2006 at 14:38

Wow...nice one, I'll try this right now
----
02.01.2007 - 22:08
claypool
Account deleted
Thanks for the welcome.
We're all glad to see that so many people seem to like the music!

The cd is now back in stock at cdbaby, do feel free to support the band.
10.01.2007 - 16:11
Sunioj

I just got the album, its pretty good, I got over the hype though, I think I was possessed for a good while
12.01.2007 - 02:26
Talvi

Awesome piece of shit!!!
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
13.01.2007 - 07:22
Bitch Boy

I heard some samples at the myspace profile and this band is really outstanding!!!
26.02.2007 - 21:20
Asat0r

They have a song called "Ballrog Boogie." I think as a metal fan, I'm almost required to listen to anything with the words "ballrog" or "boogie" in the title.
26.02.2007 - 22:11
Thryce
Retired Staff
Written by Asat0r on 26.02.2007 at 21:20

They have a song called "Ballrog Boogie." I think as a metal fan, I'm almost required to listen to anything with the words "ballrog" or "boogie" in the title.

Metal Storm, the place where all your wishes come true:

http://www.myspace.com/diabloswingorchestra
----
Your favorite band sucks.
20.09.2007 - 08:56
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Ive been listening to the songs on there myspace constantly lately, I love it and definitly will be getting a hold of this album some how. I just dont like the vocals all that much. Can anyone reccommend me anything like this but with harsh vocals? because that would be a complete 10/10 for me.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.09.2007 - 20:09
Tod_Engel

Written by Doc G. on 20.09.2007 at 08:56

Ive been listening to the songs on there myspace constantly lately, I love it and definitly will be getting a hold of this album some how. I just dont like the vocals all that much. Can anyone reccommend me anything like this but with harsh vocals? because that would be a complete 10/10 for me.

I'd say it's really hard to find anything similar to DSO. You might, but it wouldn't be the same. At the moment I can't help you..
17.11.2007 - 21:21
EquilibriuMTR
Account deleted
One of the most original metal sound so far 10/10.
19.03.2008 - 19:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
OMG
I need this album... is just awesome. One of the most original music I heard in my life. Perfect vocals in my opinion.
This album deserves a 9,7 from me ^^

The trompet solo on the first track... is just perfect. When I heared that track i just though how beautiful would be to dance tango or flamenco with a nice latin girl...
That would be the best day of my life.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.12.2008 - 04:24
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Tod_Engel on 24.09.2007 at 20:09

I'd say it's really hard to find anything similar to DSO. You might, but it wouldn't be the same. At the moment I can't help you..

The only thing I think of is Unexpect, though they are much more extreme... They actually sound like the twisted child of D:S:O and ChthoniC...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
22.12.2008 - 16:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by MétalNoir on 22.12.2008 at 04:24

The only thing I think of is Unexpect, though they are much more extreme... They actually sound like the twisted child of D:S:O and ChthoniC...

I agree... Unexpect [AWESOME BAND] is the only band that I can think of... But like you said, way more extreme. But pretty much in the same vein.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.12.2008 - 14:48
Tod_Engel

Written by MétalNoir on 22.12.2008 at 04:24

Written by Tod_Engel on 24.09.2007 at 20:09

Have to agree with you.
13.07.2009 - 19:56
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes

I agree with you there on the vocals. Sure there done well but they just sometimes dont seem to fit with the music, not to mention the overdubbing tends to also ru9in it. Aside from that though, very nice and creative album. 9/10
12.09.2009 - 00:27
rpsgc

Just to let you guys know that this album is now on Jamendo for free (yes, it's legal).

http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/49216
30.11.2009 - 01:35
tgee

maybe give a try to ephel duath, the painter's palette
31.08.2010 - 01:21
Rating: 10
mismoree

This album is so much different from what I usually hear, maybe thats why I like it so much. They try a completely different approach to metal and manage to pull it of spectacularly. 'Pink Noise Waltz' and 'Balrog Boogie' are my favorites.
09.02.2012 - 05:36
Rating: 2
SMAX

This doesn't belong on metalstorm.
09.02.2012 - 10:25
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by SMAX on 09.02.2012 at 05:36

This doesn't belong on metalstorm.

And why is that? This is quite metal.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
09.03.2013 - 13:34
3rdWorld
China was a neat
I agree with SMAX, this sounds like lame ass symphonic rock. How the fuck is this even Avantgarde?

Hits total: 25110 | This month: 32