Metal Storm logo
Girls in metal concerts?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 28.03.2013 - 01:55
So I'll probably be attending my first ever metal concert in a few months and am really excited but also kind of nervous about it. The only other concerts I've been to were for Asian rock artists, very tame, one in a small theater and another in a stadium with a capacity for 16000, both with assigned seating and pretty strict rules. I'm still quite a newbie to metal as you can tell and don't fully know what to expect. It'll be Kamelot so probably not as extreme as a heavier band's gig might get, but still, I'm a little teenage 5'1" Asian girl and all... What can you guys tell me about things I should know for the concert? For fellow female metallers, what have your experiences in concerts have been like? Any precautions I should take? Watching live videos really don't tell me much, heh...
12.04.2013 - 00:57
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 11.04.2013 at 23:45

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 11.04.2013 at 22:24

Written by Bad English on 11.04.2013 at 21:34

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 11.04.2013 at 20:03

Bad ,dude you know that Nokia from 1998 can serve as weapon right?

I have simmilar pfone, blue

I sold my ipfone , I hate touchable screan.... I sold it I needed noney for alcohol
Now one year I uyse simmilar

yeah i know..i hate touchscreens too...i still use my old,simple phone ...8 years old and though i broke like half of its screen it still works good enough...

Right.

i gotta Nokia 5130 Xpress music and it works awesome for me. It's been with me from like 2009?! yeah. As long as you carrying a superb playlist, i don't think it won't much bother you.

No need for iSuck or any glitzy shit like Lumia for more storage.

mine is Sonny Ericsson j210i...a dinosaur which have nothing but SMS and regular phone call.... i use mp3 player for music...although i need to buy new phone (as i said i broke half of display on this one) but i will still buy the new phone with similar characteristics
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
13.04.2013 - 19:45
Rasputin
Written by Milena on 11.04.2013 at 14:41

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 10.04.2013 at 23:22

^this what Milena said or just get some spikes - the longer the more space around you
On other note :
"4) If there's some douche bag harassing you, approach the biggest, meanest looking guy out there, tap his shoulder and complain... works every time."
What is that kind of wankery ? That is the pure case of vaginal manipulation My advice is to just kick/punch the asshole who harass you ....or push him in mosh pit/wall of death ...

Well she's tiny, I don't think she could get rid of a guy using force

Zato lepo naucis cudo, i jebes mu sve po spisku, tako nema problema.

Written by Unhealer on 10.04.2013 at 01:25

Written by Rasputin on 09.04.2013 at 01:05

Let's play it safe and go to a Linkin Park concert

Well... when they played here last year, the band stopped playing in the middle of a song because apparently several fanboy kids that were close to the stage were being crushed by other people jumping and stuff . "You guys are fucking animals" Bennington said and asked us to take care of anyone fainting.

On topic, you'll be just fine if you stay out of the movement. There's always people that don't want to get hurt just like you.

That sounds like my Immortal concert in Chicago, people were such assholes. Yikes.
I'm surprised by it, who would say that Linkin Park has those type of fans. But then again, there are no standards really. Just 6-7 years ago, I went to Dimmu Borgir concert, and I expected total chaos, but everyone was mellow for the most part. I also think, the age, the venue, the scene and the overall location of the concert (state/country) defines the overall experience.
18.04.2013 - 23:54
Milena
gloom cookie
staff
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 11.04.2013 at 22:58

Written by Bad English on 11.04.2013 at 22:35

yeah i know..i hate touchscreens too...i still use my old,simple phone ...8 years old and though i broke like half of its screen it still works good enough...

Have you ever seen MIlena at concert

no man...we live in different parts of country..i believe that there some 300 or more km apart our towns ....also i dont attend concerts a lot...i prefer more like local band gigs-you know some small clubs and such -it feels more old school if you can drink a few beers with the band after the gig ,talk about stuff and have fun ...

That and we don't have the same taste in music apparently but if you ever see me, seriously, come over and say hi I haven't met anyone from MS yet, believe it or not.
----
7.0 means the album is good
20.04.2013 - 14:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Milena on 18.04.2013 at 23:54

That and we don't have the same taste in music apparently but if you ever see me, seriously, come over and say hi I haven't met anyone from MS yet, believe it or not.

Same here, I never have , there was chances when Vali Baala comes to Swe, but he went to Norge and went to S Sweden
I could meet Ernis when I was in Parnu and Tallinn, but farry was like 1h, so and we leave Lv one day earley , I didnt get his mobile
Ernator was at list , but we were only fiev minutes at Helsinki

Maybe I will meet Warman one day when I will be at Stockholm

Warman what are you doing at 2. May ..... I will be like 6h free at Arlanda.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.04.2013 - 00:11
DragosteaMea
Hi! Well, I am sure you have already attended the concert and gained a cool, new experience. But might I still share my stories? I am a small-framed girl who has been warned not to go to metal concerts because they are "violent" and I am going to be "squished" or "killed". Despite these warnings, I was insistent upon attending my first metal concert, which was Anthrax, Testament, and Death Angel touring together in 2012. I'll have to admit, I was a little scared...but bottom line, I had a great time because the music was fantastic, and the fellow metallers were great as well.

To my pleasant surprise, the male metalheads were very cordial and some even offered me protection from the mosh pit. To add to that, I have noticed that the metalheads at older metal bands' shows were far more accepting and nicer than the ones at newer metal bands' shows*. Interesting, huh?

Later in that same year, I attended Megadeth and Morbid Angel concerts, and the reactions have been similar. That said, my initial conceptions about metalheads at concerts changed dramatically subsequent these events. Also a little side note, I met my current boyfriend at a show and we are happy as clams The last concert we went to together was "Dark Roots of Thrash" tour!

Anyways,

One thing I would warn you about is getting a front row spot at a show. Yes, it's super cool to be right up there so close to the band, but you may end up getting squished on the bars and especially for someone your size this can be very dangerous. Also, avoid (if you can) bringing purses or things you have to carry.

21.04.2013 - 01:35
MetallicA
Great advice all around.

For me, I wear something comfortable that I won't get too hot in like jeans & a tank top or t-shirt. I'm going to be all nasty & sweaty by the end of the show so I really don't care about making the extra effort to look good, plus I don't want creepers all up in my junk anyways! I also avoid bringing purses. I just have my ID, money (cash or plastic), phone and keys in my pocket. If I don't feel like getting hit (by moshers) or getting squished, then I stay back. I've been in plenty of moshpits & can handle my own but the past several years I've been staying back more and more because I just want to watch the bands. I used to go to shows by myself all the time, especially when I was also brand new to metal. I kept going back again and again week after week, kept seeing the same people, eventually became great friends with them and over 10 years later, I'm still friends with them. Yeah so wear something comfy, bring the bare essentials like money & ID and just sit back and enjoy the show
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
21.04.2013 - 19:50
ANGEL REAPER

i will do that ,will do that ... for me on the contrary ...MS'ers Bulletdodger and Sophist are quite good ol' friends of mine ...we hang out almost everyday
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
21.04.2013 - 19:57
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Bad English on 20.04.2013 at 14:16

Same here, I never have , there was chances when Vali Baala comes to Swe, but he went to Norge and went to S Sweden
I could meet Ernis when I was in Parnu and Tallinn, but farry was like 1h, so and we leave Lv one day earley , I didnt get his mobile
Ernator was at list , but we were only fiev minutes at Helsinki

Maybe I will meet Warman one day when I will be at Stockholm

Warman what are you doing at 2. May ..... I will be like 6h free at Arlanda.

dude i might visit sweeden next year as a part of my student exchange program (or Norway..its on the list too) so we might meet up someday ....and have few beers !
----
21.04.2013 - 21:04
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by MetallicA on 21.04.2013 at 01:35

For me, I wear something comfortable that I won't get too hot in like jeans & a tank top or t-shirt. I'm going to be all nasty & sweaty by the end of the show so I really don't care about making the extra effort to look good, plus I don't want creepers all up in my junk anyways!

That advice about comfortable clothes is really good. This is also something I've learnt over the years. A few years ago, I used to wear my combat boots at all shows and now I rarely do because my feet suffer. Especially if it is a longer show, I just wear snickers now. I learnt that the hard way too lol I guess I'm getting old! I make some exceptions if I really feel like having great looking boots that night.

I've been lucky enough to have met plenty of people from MS at shows and I have to say that they have all been very nice to me. In general, the metallers I find at shows here in Portugal just want to have fun and enjoy the music really.

There is always the moshpit "problem" but that is easy to avoid. If you don't want to get caught on it, be at a safe distance. Another thing I do is I ask the people that are with me to protect me (usually men) if someone starts moshing and kicking other ppl. I like having fun as well and headbang like crazy and of all the shows I've ever been to, I never had a problem with anyone, fights or things like that. Maybe we are all well-behaved because even strangers are protective of women here when it comes to concerts.

In other countries, things might not be like this, of course.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.04.2013 - 21:35
ANGEL REAPER
Combat boots are good choice if you expect trouble (with skins or random ass douchebags)...combat boots are weapons
----
22.04.2013 - 00:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by DragosteaMea on 21.04.2013 at 00:11

Hi! Well, I am sure you have already attended the concert and gained a cool, new experience. But might I still share my stories? I am a small-framed girl who has been warned not to go to metal concerts because they are "violent" and I am going to be "squished" or "killed". Despite these warnings, I was insistent upon attending my first metal concert, which was Anthrax, Testament, and Death Angel touring together in 2012. I'll have to admit, I was a little scared...but bottom line, I had a great time because the music was fantastic, and the fellow metallers were great as well.

To my pleasant surprise, the male metalheads were very cordial and some even offered me protection from the mosh pit. To add to that, I have noticed that the metalheads at older metal bands' shows were far more accepting and nicer than the ones at newer metal bands' shows*. Interesting, huh?

Later in that same year, I attended Megadeth and Morbid Angel concerts, and the reactions have been similar. That said, my initial conceptions about metalheads at concerts changed dramatically subsequent these events. Also a little side note, I met my current boyfriend at a show and we are happy as clams The last concert we went to together was "Dark Roots of Thrash" tour!

Anyways,

One thing I would warn you about is getting a front row spot at a show. Yes, it's super cool to be right up there so close to the band, but you may end up getting squished on the bars and especially for someone your size this can be very dangerous. Also, avoid (if you can) bringing purses or things you have to carry.

This story is like some pensioners and old folks , also religuse and conservative people say about bars,m night clubs, anything ..... enough is to see 5 Walker Texas Ranger films, and there will be impression all bars are violent. city outskirts, some small cowboy town bar .. whatever , TV is not to judge
Great story , ppl shood try it then judge, and besides there are less crime in metal gigs than in hip hop street gangbanging
----

apos;'
[image]
22.04.2013 - 00:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 21.04.2013 at 21:04

Written by MetallicA on 21.04.2013 at 01:35

For me, I wear something comfortable that I won't get too hot in like jeans & a tank top or t-shirt. I'm going to be all nasty & sweaty by the end of the show so I really don't care about making the extra effort to look good, plus I don't want creepers all up in my junk anyways!

That advice about comfortable clothes is really good. This is also something I've learnt over the years. A few years ago, I used to wear my combat boots at all shows and now I rarely do because my feet suffer. Especially if it is a longer show, I just wear snickers now. I learnt that the hard way too lol I guess I'm getting old! I make some exceptions if I really feel like having great looking boots that night.

I've been lucky enough to have met plenty of people from MS at shows and I have to say that they have all been very nice to me. In general, the metallers I find at shows here in Portugal just want to have fun and enjoy the music really.

There is always the moshpit "problem" but that is easy to avoid. If you don't want to get caught on it, be at a safe distance. Another thing I do is I ask the people that are with me to protect me (usually men) if someone starts moshing and kicking other ppl. I like having fun as well and headbang like crazy and of all the shows I've ever been to, I never had a problem with anyone, fights or things like that. Maybe we are all well-behaved because even strangers are protective of women here when it comes to concerts.

In other countries, things might not be like this, of course.

About boots, I bought military socks, made for SAS, Navy SEALs and combat, plus USA amry combat boots, never make my feat suffer, I am on boots all time, so in public places only boots, money in pocket, keys in pocket, no documents, old Nokia, and less accessories,
----

apos;'
[image]
22.04.2013 - 04:46
Thrashette
My main reason for wearing combat boots to shows is for comfort... They're good for being on my feet for long periods of time and they protect me from people stepping on my feet. For outdoor festivals, boots are your best friend if rain starts. Over summer, I went to a festival where it rained almost the whole time and basically turned the venue into a massive mud pit. Lots of people who wore running shoes had them filled up with mud and people wearing flats or sandals lost them. People in boots were safe.
22.04.2013 - 06:21
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
I once got headbutted in the jaw by a girl while in the pit, she said sorry but and I accepted but then just pushed her away. Also when I saw Anthrax I was shoved up close to the front, but not totally in front, and when you're in that position the people in front push back and the people behind you push foward, and the person in front of me was a girl and I was being pushed and so I was basiclly grinding up against this girl, she was from Austrailia and later I was talking to her and she didn't have a problem with it. I've also seen girls in the pit be more aggressive than the guys and most of the time the guys take it easy on girls who are in the pit.
22.04.2013 - 07:26
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite

I really feel like having great looking boots
I'm a bit tired. Had to re-read it =P
----
loves 小巫
22.04.2013 - 08:45
Rasputin

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 11.04.2013 at 22:58

Written by Bad English on 11.04.2013 at 22:35

Have you ever seen MIlena at concert

no man...we live in different parts of country..i believe that there some 300 or more km apart our towns ....also i dont attend concerts a lot...i prefer more like local band gigs-you know some small clubs and such -it feels more old school if you can drink a few beers with the band after the gig ,talk about stuff and have fun ...

These Shumadija women, always up to no good
22.04.2013 - 11:19
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Ag Fox on 22.04.2013 at 07:26

lol Typical Marshall
----

My Instagram
22.04.2013 - 11:23
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
You have made a good point ANGEL REAPER. If you want to protect yourself, combat boots are a good choice.

Also agree that they are a good choice for outdoor festivals, Thrashette. It depends on the situation and if you are comfortable with them. If its rainy, they are great. I tend to not be that comfortable on them anymore for long periods of time. At the end of the day, I want to be able to enjoy the show and not worry about how my feet hurt. So, there are pros and cons.
----

My Instagram
22.04.2013 - 13:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 22.04.2013 at 11:19

Written by Ag Fox on 22.04.2013 at 07:26

lol Typical Marshall

I think he read boobs LOL
----

apos;'
[image]
22.04.2013 - 13:04
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Yes, he did.
----

My Instagram
22.04.2013 - 13:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Thrashette on 22.04.2013 at 04:46

My main reason for wearing combat boots to shows is for comfort... They're good for being on my feet for long periods of time and they protect me from people stepping on my feet. For outdoor festivals, boots are your best friend if rain starts. Over summer, I went to a festival where it rained almost the whole time and basically turned the venue into a massive mud pit. Lots of people who wore running shoes had them filled up with mud and people wearing flats or sandals lost them. People in boots were safe.

Doc Martens industrialy si good also for safety, steel tough, industrial steel, can proted from bricks and heavy thinks falling on you
----

apos;'
[image]
26.04.2013 - 05:29
Mercyful_Kate
Being female at a metal show isn't what it used to be. I remember going to see Morbid Angel when I was 14 and I was the only girl in the room, surrounded by big, sweaty dudes in their thirties. Even still, I always felt safe. Metal shows, from my experience just never had the types of problems that hardcore, punk and crust shows had. People are usually friendlier and appreciate seeing a woman who's into the music rather than attempting to pick her up. These days, there are definitely more females at metal shows. I'm sure you'll meet some friends. Have fun!
30.04.2013 - 15:37
Joppe
Steelemeister
This might've been mentioned already and also maybe it's a bit obvious, but anyway: front row is usually very safe location to stay at gigs. And it's more roomy (at least the space in front of you is free) than at subsequent rows. There's always a risk of getting injured by accidents though so it's adviced to pay attention to what's happening around you, i.e. pit might start behind you and people will get pushed around and hit you in the back.

And about clothing etc, if the gig is indoors it most likely gets quite hot in there, so I usually wear some light clothes like sleeveless shirts, jeans and mid/hightops. Boots are fine too but a bit uncomfortable when they get sweaty).
----
My vision is augmented
30.04.2013 - 17:32
Zombie94
I'd advise you to try and get a spot at the front, but to the far left or right. If you're in the centre of the front row then you're very liable to get squashed from behind by people moshing. Also try and wear old shoes and/or shoes with hard toes (steel-capped if possible lol) because your toes could get stood on a lot..happens to me all the time anyway.

Other than that...enjoy yourself! If it's Kamelot you're seeing than there will probably be quite a few other girls at the show (I know that's a big generalisation, but I've found there's less girls at the gigs for more extreme bands), so you won't be alone!
30.04.2013 - 18:54
Lit.
Account deleted
Yeah, ironically the front it probably the safest place you could be (unless it's one of those crowds that want to be as close to the band as possible). I got a very feminine physique so I avoid moshing as much as possible.
Never saw the need for wearing combat boots, though. If you keep to your feet and keep moving, you could probably get away with wearing anything.