Metal Storm logo
Is christian metal actually metal?

Original post

Posted by Godless Visions, 29.03.2013 - 03:04
Just finished a debate I had with Steve from the Faster for the Master show on nocontrolradio.com and I'm still fairly confident it's a fraudulent mimicry of metal attempting to destroy us like a trojan horse. In fact, I'm more confident I'm right now than when I was preparing for the debate.

Good Friday approacheth. What do you think? Do you actually LIKE any of it? Shouldn't we be hostile to it and shun it?
03.04.2013 - 13:00
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Jaeryd on 03.04.2013 at 11:37

Written by M C Vice on 03.04.2013 at 07:29

There's some dumb people on the internet.

I hadn't noticed. (struggles to keep a straight face)
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
03.04.2013 - 13:26
Night Theater
Written by Godless Visions on 02.04.2013 at 05:36

A great comment from our Visions From the Darkside Facebook page...

"Christian 'metal' isn't metal. It is another attempt by Christians to steal another culture, like winter solstice, Easter and every other holiday and ritual. Metal is anti establishment, what is more 'establishment' than Christianity?"

Hallelujah.

It's...so...hard...not...to...feed...the...troll...can't...help...myself...

Well, this statement is utterly ludicrous. Metal isn't anti OR pro establishment. Metal CAN be anti OR pro establishment. Even bands that aren't Christian, many of them don't sing about anti or pro establishment (anything, really; government, religion, whatever), they sing about other things... by what you said, they must not be "metal." Riiight.

Why does metal have to be anti (or pro, for those on the other side of the fence) establishment? Art is expressive. By limiting it, your condemnation is contradictory, as you are creating a set of rules for what metal should and should not be... derp.
03.04.2013 - 16:17
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by M C Vice on 03.04.2013 at 13:00

Are you implying that I am one of those people?

I don't know, you might be right...
----
03.04.2013 - 16:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Jaeryd on 03.04.2013 at 16:17

*Sigh*
He obviously meant the OP.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
03.04.2013 - 16:22
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Listen to Theocracy and then come and tell me how it is not metal...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

03.04.2013 - 16:25
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.04.2013 at 16:20

*Sigh*
He obviously meant the OP.

Well, I've had only two hours of sleep in the last 24 hours, and I'm not entirely sure what's going on. Like I said, he might be right were he to imply that I am one of those people--at least when I'm this tired, anyway.

But yeah. I don't even get why this is a thread. The answer should be simple, Christian metal is metal, otherwise it would be called Christian rock/blues/folk--anything other than metal. You don't have to like it, you don't have to listen to it, you don't have to say that any of it is good. But if I were to say that Cannibal Corpse (or a similar band) isn't death metal just because I happened to dislike their music, I'd end up being a laughingstock, too.
----
03.04.2013 - 18:23
JaciLeigh
Written by Night Theater on 03.04.2013 at 13:26

"Christian 'metal' isn't metal. It is another attempt by Christians to steal another culture, like winter solstice, Easter and every other holiday and ritual. Metal is anti establishment, what is more 'establishment' than Christianity?"

Hallelujah.

It's...so...hard...not...to...feed...the...troll...can't...help...myself...

Well, this statement is utterly ludicrous. Metal isn't anti OR pro establishment. Metal CAN be anti OR pro establishment. Even bands that aren't Christian, many of them don't sing about anti or pro establishment (anything, really; government, religion, whatever), they sing about other things... by what you said, they must not be "metal." Riiight.

Why does metal have to be anti (or pro, for those on the other side of the fence) establishment? Art is expressive. By limiting it, your condemnation is contradictory, as you are creating a set of rules for what metal should and should not be... derp.

I'll second that. Even if I weren't Christian, I'd still tell you that it's perfectly acceptable; if you can question Christian metal, then you can question Black metal, folk metal, etc. It's just another genre, regardless of the theme.
03.04.2013 - 21:46
ANGEL REAPER
What? this joke is still going on?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
04.04.2013 - 00:38
theFIST
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 03.04.2013 at 21:46

yes
next we should ask if space themed metal bands are metal
are they?
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
04.04.2013 - 00:57
ANGEL REAPER
Written by theFIST on 04.04.2013 at 00:38

yes
next we should ask if space themed metal bands are metal
are they?

only if they consists of trve metal members- Optimus Prime ,Terminator,Bender,Robo-cop and Robo-Dracula ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
04.04.2013 - 01:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
What if they sing about Scientology? That's kinda spaced themed.
04.04.2013 - 01:16
ANGEL REAPER
Well according to Scientology Bender & Optimus Prime surfed on Robo-Dracula from the moon and that is how the awesome metal (and human race) was born...
----
04.04.2013 - 02:50
Written by Ellrohir on 03.04.2013 at 16:22

Sounds like an impersonation of metal.
----
--
Visions From the Darkside
The greatest extreme metal talk show of all time.
http://soundcloud.com/nocontrolradio
www.nocontrolradio.com
04.04.2013 - 04:52
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Godless Visions on 04.04.2013 at 02:50

Yeah, well so do you.
04.04.2013 - 11:04
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Jaeryd on 03.04.2013 at 16:17

I wasn't before, but now that you mention it...

It's still worth a giggle, maybe?
----
04.04.2013 - 11:13
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 04.04.2013 at 01:00

That's not metal. Scientology is against shampooing your hair, because it lets evil spirits in. That goes against everything that is metal because shampoo is important for maintaining a healthy head of long headbanging hair.
----
04.04.2013 - 13:28
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Jaeryd on 04.04.2013 at 11:13

Written by Guest on 04.04.2013 at 01:00

That's not metal. Scientology is against shampooing your hair, because it lets evil spirits in. That goes against everything that is metal because shampoo is important for maintaining a healthy head of long headbanging hair.

Oh no! Halford and Townsend aren't metal anymore. Quick, to the wig shop!

And how do you impersonate a type of music? Parody it or show influences of it, sure. But impersonate?
----
04.04.2013 - 13:50
ANGEL REAPER
Written by M C Vice on 04.04.2013 at 13:28

And how do you impersonate a type of music?

you go to the youtube and upload a bad cover of certain songs
----
04.04.2013 - 15:44
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule

Seriously, who is this guy?
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
04.04.2013 - 17:15
Sinnercist
I don't think the subject matter of a song defines the genre. It all depends on the music itself. That said however, Christian music is often lacking in quality. The goal of a musician is often to leave their own mark and push the boundaries of music. Their focus is on creativity. Christian's goal, as a rule is to instead worship their god. They are more concerned with making music glorifying instead of actually pushing the limits of creativity and that makes their music quality suffer. This is why christian music is often bland, predictable and "factory like". They just don't care that much about it since they have a completely different criteria on judging something as being good.

...Maybe there are good and quality christian metal bands, but I have not come around any that I deem as such.
----
From YOLO to LOLOL. You're welcome.
04.04.2013 - 19:02
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Spirit Molecule on 04.04.2013 at 15:44

Seriously, who is this guy?

beats me -first i thought he is serious (and ridiculous ),than i thought its a gimmick to promote some radio show,then i thought its 1st of April prank ,and now i think that he is serious again (and dumbest person who walk the face of Earth)
----
04.04.2013 - 22:27
Mr. Blonde
First off I agree with everyone else in that music defines music genre. Lyrics do NOT define musical genre. I guess that makes me a conformist since most of us here agree.
Don't care, because I don't let something's status of being conformist or non conformist alter my view of something in the first place. I enjoy plenty of bands, films, games, books, etc... that none of my friends like or have heard of and are quite obscure. I equally enjoy plenty of of those same things that have caught the zeitgeist and rode that wave into mainstream pop culture.

Hallelujah.

Well if the establishment in metal is a stance against Christianity, then that would make a Christian metal band a force of anti-establishment... duh.

Also, the way in which you use the term Christianity it seems pretty clear that you are referring to one of the many organized religions built up around the faith. But there is a difference between faith and religion. And whether one believes that Jesus is the Son of God or God himself or believes he was just a myth or fairytale, that is a moot point when stating the fact that Jesus of Nazareth is one of, if not THE greatest anti-establishment figure in mankind's written history. First off the ESTABLISHMENT of the time sent soldiers to murder innocent new born, male, babies all just to stop Jesus from coming into the world and fulfilling a prophecy. Which failed, and then Christ went on to start a revolution against both the Roman government and the Jewish religious order at the same time. And many of his followers wanted another King David aka a giant slayer who would lead them to conquest. Instead they got a pacifist who lead peaceful protests. Jesus was as non conventional as a revolution leader could possibly be during his day and age. Then Jesus had a bunch of "outs" to drop the whole Messiah gig and just conform to the rest of the society, but chose torture and death instead by sticking to his guns.

Again whether someone views that story as a critical part of their faith or just as a cool story, it doesn't change the point I made.
09.04.2013 - 05:20
Written by Jaeryd on 04.04.2013 at 11:13

THAT... is a terrific argument. Shampoo really should be part of the 'what is metal' conversation.
----
--
Visions From the Darkside
The greatest extreme metal talk show of all time.
http://soundcloud.com/nocontrolradio
www.nocontrolradio.com