Metal Storm logo
One guy to ruin it all...

05.04.2013 - 17:42
Ziom
Lacuna Coil inspired me to start this topic. The band drew my attention some time ago with - surprise - the looks of their frontwoman, Christina Scabbia. The album was Comalies. However, I simply couldn't dig it, because the whole experience was ruined by one man - Andrea Ferro. A combination of bad English, pronaunciation, accent and simply put - weak voice threw me off, even though the album had its moments (catchy riffs etc.).

A couple of years later, I decided to check out their latest album. Time passes, people improve... but not this guy.

This album has it all: catchy riffs, catchy melodies, groove, a sexy female singer with a decent voice (although nothing operatic)... and this guy. I was like "WTF", why is he still in the band? Are they insane, or what? Oh wait... turns out he's the founding member, besides the bassist. DAMN. DAMN.

-----

Come to think of it, I remembered more examples of worthy efforts ruined by one guy, who for some reason is there. Who for some odd reason was allowed to be there.

- System of a Down and that squeaky guy on Hypnotize/Mesmerize
- Lars Urlich, the lazy drummer of Metallica, who only discovered pedals on their worst album

Do you know more examples? Where one man/woman can ruin everything?
05.04.2013 - 20:02
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
The "squeaky guy" you're referring to is Daron Malakian, a founding member and the guitarist.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

05.04.2013 - 20:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I have to agree, Daron Malakian is a fucking terrible vocalist and one of the bigger reasons why Hyp/Mez were not as good as previous albums. When you have a voice like Serj's why would you ever give any record time to someone like Daron's?
05.04.2013 - 20:08
Patrick.
I'm not gonna stretch it as far as to say "one guy/gal who ruined everything" but I've got a few of those still.

To me Dream Theater is a tough nut to crack and their vocalist James LaBrie is much to blame because of that. I find their music challenging for the ears but that in itself can be and is often a very good thing. It's just that; because of LaBrie for whatever reason they're even harder for me to get into. He sounds like the weakest link (though I don't think this is necessarily the case on Images & Words. He really is great on that album).

Nightwish's most recent era is another one for me. The music is damn good... no actually, I think it's bloody damn brilliant! Unfortunately Anette's vocals don't do much for me at all, for whatever reason, again. The reason why is not due to the fact that Tarja used to be in the band. I did not have that issue with f.ex. Kamelot, Masterplan or Pyramaze when a similar situation occurred within their respective ranks. Despite the shifts between vocalists, the actual vocal-quality was always maintained with those bands (imo), which is exactly as it should be (again, imo).
05.04.2013 - 20:14
Edmund Fogg
WTF?! Daron is insanely talented both vocaly ond on guitar. Weird that he ruins your SOAD experience. I can't think of anything that was ruined by one band member. Admitably, if I don't like what I listen to I won't ask myself what do I dislike about band or album X. I'll just trow the darn thing away.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
05.04.2013 - 20:16
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Guest on 05.04.2013 at 20:07

I have to agree, Daron Malakian is a fucking terrible vocalist and one of the bigger reasons why Hyp/Mez were not as good as previous albums. When you have a voice like Serj's why would you ever give any record time to someone like Daron's?

I actually loved Daron's vocals on Mezmerize, didn't like Hypnotize at all though musically or vocally. I've seen/heard many complain of his vocals though so I chuck that one into the same category as King Diamond.
----

05.04.2013 - 20:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by psykometal on 05.04.2013 at 20:16

I actually loved Daron's vocals on Mezmerize, didn't like Hypnotize at all though musically or vocally. I've seen/heard many complain of his vocals though so I chuck that one into the same category as King Diamond.

For me they were as bad as those in Vio-lence
05.04.2013 - 20:58
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Guest on 05.04.2013 at 20:18

For me they were as bad as those in Vio-lence

You must be real sensitive to vocals then cuz I never thought the guy was bad. Always sounded like standard fair 80s thrash vocals to me.
----

05.04.2013 - 21:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by psykometal on 05.04.2013 at 20:58

You must be real sensitive to vocals then cuz I never thought the guy was bad. Always sounded like standard fair 80s thrash vocals to me.

You must be kidding. The vocals on Eternal Nightmare are hideous.

Not like any thrash vocalist I ever heard. Thankfully.
05.04.2013 - 21:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Edmund Fogg on 05.04.2013 at 20:14

WTF?! Daron is insanely talented both vocaly ond on guitar. Weird that he ruins your SOAD experience. I can't think of anything that was ruined by one band member. Admitably, if I don't like what I listen to I won't ask myself what do I dislike about band or album X. I'll just trow the darn thing away.

He can't sing. That's a simple fact. Even when he is in tune his voice is so God-awfully squeaky and irritating that it's still painful to behold. Serj has all the vocal talent, Daron is more probably the primary songwriter though so he gets that in his favour.
05.04.2013 - 21:29
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Guest on 05.04.2013 at 21:02

You must be kidding. The vocals on Eternal Nightmare are hideous.
Not like any thrash vocalist I ever heard. Thankfully.

Wow! Ok, I never listened to the first album, only Oppressing the Masses with Rob Flynn. Apparently those 2 albums are the same guy but his vocals were much better on Oppressing the Masses. You're right, the vocals on Eternal Nightmare are fucking atrocious!

----

05.04.2013 - 21:58
PocketMetal
It's funny how the "looks" of Christina are mentioned twice , just sayin' .

On topic : these Amaranthe guys could be a lot better if their male vocalists didn't ruin it , the pseudo-screams are just horrible.
05.04.2013 - 22:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by psykometal on 05.04.2013 at 21:29

Wow! Ok, I never listened to the first album, only Oppressing the Masses with Rob Flynn. Apparently those 2 albums are the same guy but his vocals were much better on Oppressing the Masses. You're right, the vocals on Eternal Nightmare are fucking atrocious!

I've only ever heard the first album so I assumed you they all like that

Why the hell did they bleep out the swearing on that video...
05.04.2013 - 22:24
bran
Iced earth's debut is ruined for me by gene adam's "vocals" i never heard such a shitty singer in my life, the guy sounds like a cat that his tail stepped on.
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
05.04.2013 - 22:54
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by bran on 05.04.2013 at 22:24

Iced earth's debut is ruined for me by gene adam's "vocals" i never heard such a shitty singer in my life, the guy sounds like a cat that his tail stepped on.

He does great work on When The Night Falls, but otherwise IE's debut is an average album even without the singer. The last song is its only saving grace. IE don't really kick off until Night of the Stormrider, with Gene Adam. Shame that guy had to be an anti-semitic douchebag and not last past one album. He was a damn good vocalist.
06.04.2013 - 00:10
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
I definitely agree with JOOE on Daron's case: his voice is worse than awful and more or less ruins the last two SOAD albums. (and no, Daron is not like Kind Diamond - I don't like the kind, can barely stand him actually, but he's talented and impressive, if an acquired taste. Daron as a vocalist certainly isn't talented)

Other example: Nightwish, of course Tuomas Holopaneinen probably has one of the weakest, lamest voice in metal, and thankfully he stopped singing altogether... But not before crippling some of the best songs on Angeld Fall First
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
06.04.2013 - 01:22
Sean 79
Tried listening to them a few years ago, and have to agree, his voice is awful. Completely ruins that band.
06.04.2013 - 21:01
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Andrea never bothered me on studio albums, but I saw old live recordings and he sang awfully. But around the time they released their live DVD he got a lot better, and I saw him live a few weeks back and he was even better. He even wasn't under the shadow of Cristina, the people loved him.

I loved when Daron started to sing as well. I think his voice goes perfect with Serj's, one of the best sounding vocal duets for me.

But well, it's a matter of tastes. I'm sure I feel the same about other musicians, though I can't recall any right now...
Oh yeah, Simone Simons in Epica. They've already replaced all their average musicians for better ones, only she is missing of course if she wants she could get better, but it has been a long time already and I'm not sure she ever will.
06.04.2013 - 21:43
bitethepain
For me, vocalist are like beers. There are so many to try and so much variety and it depends on my mood and the season. Sure, there are some vocalist better then others but sometimes, there are bands, as a whole, that are enjoyable to listen to despite the flaws. And anyways, I don't want to live in a world where every vocalist sounds the same. They should all sound different and have different approaches to their style. I guess Im just not that critical. I try to appreciate anyone who is putting that much effort into their performances, even if its not the best in the world.
07.04.2013 - 14:26
Benjamin
I completely agree the Lacuna Coil needs a different male volcalist. At least the shining light of Christina totally overpowers his poor performance. I still really enjoy Lacuna Coil, and Comalies is a fantastic album!

I used to agree with your observations of SOAD, until I saw them live. Daron is very underrated, and in fact a very accomplished vocalist and guitarist. He impressed me a lot!
07.04.2013 - 17:53
whatsacow
Written by Guest on 05.04.2013 at 20:07

I have to disagree. I actually prefer Scars on Broadway to some S.O.A.D. albums.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
07.04.2013 - 19:11
malaikat
Written by Guest on 05.04.2013 at 21:08

He can't sing. That's a simple fact. Even when he is in tune his voice is so God-awfully squeaky and irritating that it's still painful to behold. Serj has all the vocal talent, Daron is more probably the primary songwriter though so he gets that in his favour.

Daron can sing (both live and on albums), it's just the color of his voice that's annoying.
07.04.2013 - 19:38
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Yeah, Daron is awful.

La Dispute is the only one I can think of. Now THAT has awful vocals.

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.04.2013 - 20:46
whatsacow
Written by malaikat on 07.04.2013 at 19:11

Written by Guest on 05.04.2013 at 21:08

Daron can sing (both live and on albums), it's just the color of his voice that's annoying.

He's not that bad of a singer. I loved him in Scars on Broadway, and the SOAD song Kill Rock and Roll. He isn't phenomenal, but he's far from bad.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
07.04.2013 - 21:13
moe5512
The singer in Eternal Tears of Sorrow is so crappy that I can't listen to the band even if it sounds good until he starts his boring whines. I must say that old Amorphis (before Joutsen) is very annoying because of the singers.
07.04.2013 - 21:44
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Daron is pretty awful. I haven't heard that much Stratovarius, but Kotipelto never fails to make me lose interest in hearing more.

Written by PocketMetal on 05.04.2013 at 21:58

It's funny how the "looks" of Christina are mentioned twice , just sayin' .

Because her "looks" are the best thing about the band?

Sorry, I can never resist going for the obvious joke. I actually like early Lacuna Coil.
08.04.2013 - 00:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I love how Daron-talk has effectively hijacked this thread with pretty divisive views too.
08.04.2013 - 05:49
Opethian
Almost everything from Cannibal Corpse with Corpsegrinder, Bloodthirst was good tho
08.04.2013 - 06:42
Jtbmetal123
Well, I like Lacuna Coil and System of A Down. But taking that out of consideration I get your concept. For me, its Dave Mustaine. I cant stand his vocals at all but I love the instrumental part of Megadeth.But I cant get into them because of the Vocals. he ruins the whole thing for me.
08.04.2013 - 14:08
Ziom
Iced Earth's early albums are worth mentioning too, because of vocals.

Regarding Lacuna Coil: I wonder if they were under label's pressure, because Andrea just sticks out so much. It's beyond "taste". It's about lack of improvement visually, linguistically and vocally. Why is he still there is beyond me. Maybe he's a crucial composer? Does he play any instruments? What does he do beyond singing?