Olavi Mikkonen - guitars
Fredrik Andersson - drums
Ted Lundström - bass

Guest musicians
Messiah Marcolin - vocals

Additional info
The Special Edition Box features:
- The album as digipack.
- A 2 sided poster with the album artwork and a picture of the band.
- The ultra rare 4 song EP "Under the Influence".
The set is enclosed in a hardcover fliptop case.

The Super Deluxe box includes the two CD special edition of the album and a ten inch Loki bust all housed in a fliptop case. The CD case can be hidden in the base of the bust.

Produced, mixed and mastered by Andy Sneap.
Engineered by Andy Sneap and Scott Atkins.
Recorded at Backstage Studios, Derbyshire, UK in January-March 2013.

Cover art by Tom Thiel.
Packaging art design and layout by Thomas Ewerhard.
Photos by John Memurtrie.

Guest review by
MetalAce
Rating:
The Scandinavian kings have sprung into action once more, releasing another album. As always, they know the deal. At first, I thought it was a very typical album with songs more-or-less all sounding like each other, but after a couple of listenings, my ideas greatly changed.

Read more ››
published 02.11.2014 | Comments (18)

Found in 59 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 91   Visited by: 1856 users
21.06.2013 - 17:20
Ap46
Boring for me, no standout songs. Maybe it's not my cup of tea.
21.06.2013 - 21:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just try this one, muvh better then previuysly and song where was Messiah is good, but well tyer songs those major hits and what I know before was better
Its hard to talk about this one now, I will need to hear it more and more, hopefuly I will buy it asap
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.06.2013 - 19:08
Rating: 9
krauserh
We are the warriors of the North
Notorious and brave
We're old but strong as before
And we don't fear the grave.

24.06.2013 - 02:22
Rating: 8
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by The Benighted on 21.06.2013 at 06:32

Although the songs aren't as easily recognizable, Deceiver of the Gods is a more consistent and solid release than 2011's Surtur Rising. Each track weaves and winds, and some of the best songs on the album are the ones that tread the farthest from their established sound (Hel especially). Overall, this is one of their better releases, for sure, and will probably see my top ten come the end of the year.

I thought exactly the opposite. I can barely remember 2 tracks off Surter, but this one I feel most the tracks are unique.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
26.06.2013 - 16:34
dragula1541
Is it a bad thing that the best songs are the 4 songs from the 'Under the Influence' EP that comes with the limited digipak?
27.06.2013 - 03:24
Rating: 5
Opethian
It was an average release, but quite honestly i might feel different about it in a month or 2. It was just released here in the States yesterday and perhaps this one might grow on me with some much needed age.

#EDIT: Its pretty fucking bland and i find it hard to believe that anyone would choose this over 'Surtur's Rising'. What this Deceiver of the Gods album lacks is a constant flow of energy that is IMO almost absent from the album. If you know someone that wants to get into the group i would not recommend 'Deceiver of the Gods'. I've been following Amon Amarth ever since i was introduced to them with 'Vs. the World' & 'Fate of Norns' back in 2004 and i hate to see them execute generic material like this.

Love it or hate it, it's all opinion. Like i said in my first post 'Some much needed age' ... let's just wait and see what happens, but as of now it's just not cutting it for me.
28.06.2013 - 05:43
MetalSpider
When I first listened to this album, I was disappointed...but the more I listened to it, the more it grew on me. The more I payed attention to all the details in the songs the more I enjoyed it. It's a damn good album. There are some weaker songs, but there are some damn good songs on the album.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
28.06.2013 - 13:16
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Opethian on 27.06.2013 at 03:24

It was an average release, but quite honestly i might feel different about it in a month or 2. It was just released here in the States yesterday and perhaps this one might grow on me with some much needed age.

#EDIT: Its pretty fucking bland and i find it hard to believe that anyone would choose this over 'Surtur's Rising'. What this Deceiver of the Gods album lacks is a constant flow of energy that is IMO almost absent from the album. If you know someone that wants to get into the group i would not recommend 'Deceiver of the Gods'. I've been following Amon Amarth ever since i was introduced to them with 'Vs. the World' & 'Fate of Norns' back in 2004 and i hate to see them execute generic material like this.

Love it or hate it, it's all opinion. Like i said in my first post 'Some much needed age' ... let's just wait and see what happens, but as of now it's just not cutting it for me.

I definitely recommend giving the album a bit more time. I initially felt the same way about Surtur Rising i.e. bland and all sounding the same, but the more I listened to it, the more I started to realise the intricacies and brilliance of the individual songs. In fact, I've found that for most of the albums that I truly love that initially I didn't like them and that with time and repeated listens, I've discovered their greatness. On the flipside, albums that I love straight away are the ones that usually I find become boring pretty quickly and are the ones I don't consider to be that good. I've only had one listen through of Deceiver of the Gods and it's definitely too early to tell what I think of it. I usually listen to an album dozens of times over a week or two before I give it a rating.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
28.06.2013 - 16:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Intricacies? Amon Amarth? Does not compute.
28.06.2013 - 20:46
Opethian
Written by Ace Frawley on 28.06.2013 at 13:16

Written by Opethian on 27.06.2013 at 03:24

I definitely recommend giving the album a bit more time. I initially felt the same way about Surtur Rising i.e. bland and all sounding the same, but the more I listened to it, the more I started to realise the intricacies and brilliance of the individual songs. In fact, I've found that for most of the albums that I truly love that initially I didn't like them and that with time and repeated listens, I've discovered their greatness. On the flipside, albums that I love straight away are the ones that usually I find become boring pretty quickly and are the ones I don't consider to be that good. I've only had one listen through of Deceiver of the Gods and it's definitely too early to tell what I think of it. I usually listen to an album dozens of times over a week or two before I give it a rating.

I'm not impressed, but at the same time i don't hate the album. It was executed poorly and honestly besides 'Blood Eagle' nothing else stood out from this album. I guess that's what you can expect from a band is trying to record and tour at the same time. I seriously think that Amon Amarth shouldn't release material every 2 years, this band is constantly on the road and i would love to hear an album that doesn't sound 'Rushed' for the masses.
28.06.2013 - 23:00
Rating: 10
TheDarkWizard
Simply amazing!! :banger2:
30.06.2013 - 18:45
Vombatus
Potorro
AA gets more limited and bland with each release, each time it's like a B side of the previous album. And when you do that since forever, I just want to turn it off after 2 songs... not a single pumping riff, voice beyond monotonous and non existant drumming.

I get the formula works on a commercial level, and so the band wants the moneys... but the guys should at least try to make an effort, some bands put out similar stuff every new album but somehow manage to keep it a minimal interest. AA doesn't since a few years.
30.06.2013 - 23:44
Opethian
Written by Vombatus on 30.06.2013 at 18:45

AA gets more limited and bland with each release, each time it's like a B side of the previous album. And when you do that since forever, I just want to turn it off after 2 songs... not a single pumping riff, voice beyond monotonous and non existant drumming.

I get the formula works on a commercial level, and so the band wants the moneys... but the guys should at least try to make an effort, some bands put out similar stuff every new album but somehow manage to keep it a minimal interest. AA doesn't since a few years.

As far as this new album of their goes i would agree with you on that. The 'Musicianship' is painful in my opinion Talk about an album that you can just feel that none in this group gives a shit. The concept for the album sounds great, but that alone could not save this album from mediocrity. I love these guys, but fuck dude .. this album has no energy whatsoever and i can't believe people are handing out 9's and 10's. I guess they fall under the category of 'Blind Fanboys' and the percentage of fans that continue to praise generic material such as 'Deceiver'

Its by far the biggest letdown of 2013. I just got my copy of 'PALMS' and it may be different genres, but it's 10xs the album 'Deceiver' will ever be
01.07.2013 - 03:34
Until the End
The song 'Under Siege' is great, the rest is good to average apart for the track 'Hel' which has to go down as one of the worst songs they've ever done.
01.07.2013 - 11:23
Rating: 10
HaaskAksaaH
After dozens of full-play, I'm sure that mighty Amon Amath deserves my 10/10 for DOTG. Being fan of AA Since 2004, listening to their old/new old/new staffs most likely every fucking day of my life since then, Grow up and learn how to be strong ... how to be a man ... and how to be a fucking headbanger with OSFTGH, Avenger and mighty Vs. The World ..
02.07.2013 - 04:04
Lião
Account deleted
Not a groundbreaking album but neither a abysmal recording. I find it enjoyable.

Hell, I found the bonus EP even more enjoyable!
02.07.2013 - 13:24
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Starting to really enjoy this album now. Rating pending but I think it will be high. Call me a sensitive petal but I don't like the gruesome sound at the start of "Blood Eagle", which sounds like someone being hacked to death. Don't think that is called for in this day and age.
----
02.07.2013 - 14:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Ace Frawley on 02.07.2013 at 13:24

Don't think that is called for in this day and age.

----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.07.2013 - 21:25
Mattybu

Call me a sensitive petal but I don't like the gruesome sound at the start of "Blood Eagle", which sounds like someone being hacked to death. Don't think that is called for in this day and age.

Come on man it's like 5 seconds and hacking people to bits is what vikings do!
03.07.2013 - 05:20
JÄY
Metal slave

Starting to really enjoy this album now. Rating pending but I think it will be high. Call me a sensitive petal but I don't like the gruesome sound at the start of "Blood Eagle", which sounds like someone being hacked to death. Don't think that is called for in this day and age.

Well the blood eagle is a torture device.....
03.07.2013 - 23:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Re listening this again today, Amon Amarth must re relise album like this had CD2, because it was more bluesy, more ''rock n roll'' intere pratation, damn DISC 2 kick ass more then CD 1
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.07.2013 - 11:37
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
For me this is a very good album but not great. Some great songs but overall, just not quite there for greatness. I think these guys are incredibly talented and are brilliant at what they do. My favourite tracks are the first three and "We Shall Destroy". I'm giving this an 8.
----
06.07.2013 - 12:34
Reza
At least it's way better than Surtur Rising!
07.07.2013 - 00:43
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Reza on 06.07.2013 at 12:34

I preferred Surtur Rising. We are all different.
----
07.07.2013 - 10:54
guill62
Written by Ace Frawley on 07.07.2013 at 00:43

This is proof that all their albums have a big own personality.
07.07.2013 - 16:57
Reza
Written by guill62 on 07.07.2013 at 10:54

Or we all have different tastes
07.07.2013 - 19:27
guill62
Written by Reza on 07.07.2013 at 16:57

Written by guill62 on 07.07.2013 at 10:54

Or we all have different tastes

In my case with AA or others bands, i talk about mood and not taste, for example one day i like Surtur and another Avenger. Because i don't like to compare albums, for me each album brings something a day or other.
08.07.2013 - 22:02
darkanger4
Anyone knows if Satan Rising and Snake Eyes are cover songs performed by Amon Amarth?
09.07.2013 - 00:08
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by darkanger4 on 08.07.2013 at 22:02

Anyone knows if Satan Rising and Snake Eyes are cover songs performed by Amon Amarth?

They aren't covers..they are tributes...
09.07.2013 - 21:17
darkanger4
Written by JÄY on 09.07.2013 at 00:08

Written by darkanger4 on 08.07.2013 at 22:02

They aren't covers..they are tributes...

Excuse my lack of information, but tributes to whom?

Hits total: 34760 | This month: 55