Johan Söderberg - guitars
Fredrik Andersson - drums
Ted Lundström - bass

Guest musicians
Messiah Marcolin - vocals

Additional info
The Special Edition Box features:
- The album as digipack.
- A 2 sided poster with the album artwork and a picture of the band.
- The ultra rare 4 song EP "Under the Influence".
The set is enclosed in a hardcover fliptop case.

The Super Deluxe box includes the two CD special edition of the album and a ten inch Loki bust all housed in a fliptop case. The CD case can be hidden in the base of the bust.

Produced, mixed and mastered by Andy Sneap.
Engineered by Andy Sneap and Scott Atkins.
Recorded at Backstage Studios, Derbyshire, UK in January-March 2013.

Cover art by Tom Thiel.
Packaging art design and layout by Thomas Ewerhard.
Photos by John Memurtrie.

Guest review by
MetalAce
Rating:
The Scandinavian kings have sprung into action once more, releasing another album. As always, they know the deal. At first, I thought it was a very typical album with songs more-or-less all sounding like each other, but after a couple of listenings, my ideas greatly changed.

Read more ››
published 02.11.2014 | Comments (18)

Found in 59 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 91   Visited by: 1856 users
10.07.2013 - 06:34
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by darkanger4 on 09.07.2013 at 21:17

Written by JÄY on 09.07.2013 at 00:08

Written by darkanger4 on 08.07.2013 at 22:02

Anyone knows if Satan Rising and Snake Eyes are cover songs performed by Amon Amarth?

They aren't covers..they are tributes...

Excuse my lack of information, but tributes to whom?

One is to Sabbath, One is to Motorhead, One is to ACDC and one is to Priest. I dont remember which is which...but it's pretty apparent if you're familiar with said bands
10.07.2013 - 16:54
Rating: 7
metalbrat

Oh..no... little bit hyped... not so good album... there won't be a single anthem from this album for sure... good to listen from the fifth song.... and what is this CD2 shit???? a pop album?????
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
11.07.2013 - 22:23
Sulac

So, I am really impressed by this album, especially coming so soon after Surtur Rising. I prefer it to that album, and Twilight, too. Not as good as Versus The World or With Oden On Our Side, but still, good enough to make me think of Amon Amarth as one of my favorites again.
12.07.2013 - 19:38
Jabberwock

Written by JÄY on 10.07.2013 at 06:34

Written by darkanger4 on 09.07.2013 at 21:17

Written by JÄY on 09.07.2013 at 00:08

Written by darkanger4 on 08.07.2013 at 22:02

Anyone knows if Satan Rising and Snake Eyes are cover songs performed by Amon Amarth?

They aren't covers..they are tributes...

Excuse my lack of information, but tributes to whom?

One is to Sabbath, One is to Motorhead, One is to ACDC and one is to Priest. I dont remember which is which...but it's pretty apparent if you're familiar with said bands

"Burning Anvil of Steel" - Judas Priest
"Satan Rising" - Black Sabbath
"Snake Eyes" - Motörhead
"Stand Up to Go Down" - AC/DC
16.07.2013 - 16:15
Rating: 8
Bugman

Written by Sulac on 11.07.2013 at 22:23

So, I am really impressed by this album, especially coming so soon after Surtur Rising. I prefer it to that album, and Twilight, too. Not as good as Versus The World or With Oden On Our Side, but still, good enough to make me think of Amon Amarth as one of my favorites again.

Kind of agree with you. It sounds like a huge level up from the previous two albuns and some songs could easily slip into those you mention without loss of greatness (and I still hold Versus as the highlight of AA).

All in all I think this album has far more personality than it's two predecessors. As to highlights it's my impression that the core from As Loke Falls to Blood Eagle really stands out. On the negative (or not so positive) side I would point out Deceiver and Hel.
18.07.2013 - 11:36
Mattybu

Written by Bugman on 16.07.2013 at 16:15

All in all I think this album has far more personality than it's two predecessors.

I haven't heard the predecessors but I found personality to be a little lacking here. just me, but this whole album felt a little dry. certainly not bad but "satisfactory" is about the only word I can think to properly describe it.
19.07.2013 - 14:48
Windrider
Raureif
Some songs are actually good but made worse either by endless repetitions (Shape Shifter and Father Of The Wolf) or that guys annoying and overused vibrato voice (Hel).
Surtur Rising was actually better I think but tracks 2, 7, 9 are awesome nevertheless. Plus Warriors Of The North which definetely is the highlight on this album!
19.07.2013 - 18:44
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Windrider on 19.07.2013 at 14:48

Some songs are actually good but made worse either by endless repetitions (Shape Shifter and Father Of The Wolf) or that guys annoying and overused vibrato voice (Hel).
Surtur Rising was actually better I think but tracks 2, 7, 9 are awesome nevertheless. Plus Warriors Of The North which definetely is the highlight on this album!

That guy is Messiah Mercolin, if you didn't know...
20.07.2013 - 12:07
Windrider
Raureif
Written by JÄY on 19.07.2013 at 18:44

That guy is Messiah Mercolin, if you didn't know...

I know and his voice overall is cool but his vibrato stuff really annoys me. It's just too much.
25.07.2013 - 17:38
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
This is more of the same - just what is expected of Amon Amarth. All in all, I like it more than "Surtur Rising" as it features some really strong tracks (such as As Loke Falls, Hel featuring the mighty Messiah Marcolin and the epic closing track Warriors of the North.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
11.08.2013 - 17:24
Rating: 6
Warman
Erotic Stains
This release worries me. I love early Amon Amarth. The first album is still by far their best one. Around The Crusher and up to With Oden On Our Side, I was really anti-Amon for a while. Mainly because that was a period on Metal Storm where they were praised all the time, by everyone. I couldn't understand why, there was some good, even some great stuff here and there. But in my opinion certainly nothing spectacular. I even think the Oden album was in the top five (maybe even #1?) of the Top 100 Albums list for a while. Insane!
My faith in the band was restored with Twilight of the Thunder God. Great album! I even liked Surtur Rising. So I had my hopes up. But this? Not bad (most of it), but talk about boring and weak in comparison with the good Amon. This sounds more like their middle era. Even Fate of Norns might be better, and I'm no fan of that one.
----
06.09.2013 - 01:17
Rating: 10
kfa

18.09.2013 - 21:18
Himedal

Could be better (compared to their previous albums) but it's still very good.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
22.09.2013 - 10:26
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Thats by far the "worst" album from the band at least for someone who has listened in order their whole discography. the only good songs are hel (messiah helped a lot) and "as loke falls" which is also a pure iron maiden copy. i am a bit pessimistic about their future. this band has always been predictable but at least they created high-standards music. now it's like they've tried everyhing they could. only a huge change in style or production could do it on their next album (or of course magnificent songwriting with many fresh ideas which is the difficult scenario)
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.10.2013 - 10:21
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
This is a very decent album. It features classic Amon Amarth sound and adds just enough new flare and unique twists to the songs to make it interesting and different from the discography... But it's not perfect.

The problem is that the album is unfocused and kindof scattershot, For ex:
--Hel is some wierd Pantera-laden riff heavy song blended with incredibly strange Mid-eastern vox and atmostsphere.
--Father of the Wolf, takes the band back to the 80's with classic heavy metal riffs and an 80's rock anthem of a chorus. It just feels tacky.
--Blood Eagle sounds like a Slayer/Amon Amarth collab song, which in theory sounds real cool but ultimately comes off generic and the lyrics/track title don't help one bit.
--We Shall Destroy features a just plain awkward intro and equally weird riffs throughout complete with a Death in Fire rehash riff.

That leaves exactly 6 decent songs left on the album and thank Odin for those songs.

The remaining tracks feature the classic Amon Amarth sound, intermixing what we love about band: Bone-Crunching heavy riffs mixed with beautifully epic melodies, awesome lyrics all wrapped up in a distinctly Viking atmosphere. There are a few surprises, especially in the last two tracks but unfortunately nothing will really "Blow you Away" as in Odin, Twilight or Versus. So overall Deceiver is just a decent release and as someone else mentioned, Satisfactory is the only way to really describe it.

I appreciate the band trying to find new directions for their music, but the influences they incorporated just comes off, awkward, tacky and/or simply generic.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
26.10.2013 - 13:43
NorthernDickhead

No...first Amon Amarth album that I don't like I give 6.5
01.11.2013 - 20:06
Kuroboshi

It's Amon Amarth alright. Warriors of the North is pretty rad.
08.12.2013 - 01:00
silenius

If you ask me they are returning to their mid-era sound(fucking finaly) their 2 last albums where just a rughed-upp version of cheesy powermetal if you ask me. its not the best they´ve done but im stocked that they are going for a more gritty sound over the clean dansy pewpew metal in the last albums.
13.12.2013 - 08:39
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Reza on 06.07.2013 at 12:34

At least it's way better than Surtur Rising!

I think that Surtur Rising was slightly better than this, but not by much. I don't see what people have against Surtur Rising, since it sounds pretty much exactly the same as all of their other albums, with only a slight variation in quality of songwriting.

Don't get me wrong, Amon Amarth puts out somewhat enjoyable albums, but they're not mind-blowing CDs. They also don't sound too much different from one another, nor do they vary much in quality.

My favorite albums are probably Versus the World and Twilight of the Thunder God, but even they are only a little bit better than the rest of their discography.
----
14.12.2013 - 22:32
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Jaeryd on 13.12.2013 at 08:39

I think that Surtur Rising was slightly better than this, but not by much. I don't see what people have against Surtur Rising, since it sounds pretty much exactly the same as all of their other albums, with only a slight variation in quality of songwriting.

Don't get me wrong, Amon Amarth puts out somewhat enjoyable albums, but they're not mind-blowing CDs. They also don't sound too much different from one another, nor do they vary much in quality.

My favorite albums are probably Versus the World and Twilight of the Thunder God, but even they are only a little bit better than the rest of their discography.

I definitely agree with you about the similarity of their albums. It always surprises me when people voice really strong opinions against this album or Surtur Rising, because for me, they are all of very similar quality. I can't imagine how those same people would react if Amon Amarth really changed direction and released an album with a whole new sound.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
15.12.2013 - 18:49
CaptainRhodes

Amon Amarth are great songwriters, but I wish they'd do something a little more serious. They're really coasting on their success by continuing to write 4 minute Death/Rock songs with a viking theme. Starting to remind me of bands like Swashbuckle, Alestorm, Finntroll, etc...

Can't really hate this album for not being what I want it to be, though. It's excellent for what it is.
18.01.2014 - 17:07
Rating: 5
Rulatore

Boring. They should quit, they are getting annoying
14.10.2014 - 18:21
Tomas Piller

Written by Rulatore on 18.01.2014 at 17:07

Agreed. I guess they just enjoy running the mill no matter what.
14.10.2014 - 21:18
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Tomas Piller on 14.10.2014 at 18:21

Agreed. I guess they just enjoy running the mill no matter what.

What, just quit their jobs (and presumably what they love doing) because you guys don't enjoy their music anymore? Probably more realistic that you guys just move on and listen to something else instead.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
14.10.2014 - 22:55
Rating: 5
Rulatore

Written by Ace Frawley on 14.10.2014 at 21:18

What, just quit their jobs (and presumably what they love doing) because you guys don't enjoy their music anymore? Probably more realistic that you guys just move on and listen to something else instead.

Of course I'm listening to something else indeed "just quit" was silly, but I think that would be good if they try to do something new. Also, they could quit and then form a new band called Lothlórien with the same guys and play power metal That would change a bit their sound
07.11.2014 - 17:36
Tomas Piller

Written by Ace Frawley on 14.10.2014 at 21:18

Exactly. I mean, why not to stop at the top? Or a bit later in case of AA...They are great live, their show at Brutal Assault this year was amazing, why not to tour more and start some nice new hobby in spare time?
With the last two albums they are really committing an inveticide (just invented the word ~ murder of invetiveness).
08.12.2015 - 18:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

really? many jap bands you like are more boring, yes sounds same, same lyrics but mussically this is catchy album, good riffs, I say good, interesting, awesome, never gets boring. one of rare bands what can make it , all albums equally same ... look at Suctalica now ...
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.12.2015 - 02:11
Remo2012

Impressive how they never disappoints. Guitar melodies better than never on this one.
25.04.2022 - 10:38
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
By this point it seems like Amon Amarth had decided to stick with the same formula as their last three albums, which obviously worked well for them. This is still a very good album, it still has the addictive melodies and catchy choruses, but you get the feeling that it's more of the same, so you don't get the same enjoyment and excitement as you used to.

Still there are no actual bad songs as such, the highlights for me are the title track, "Coming Of The Tide", "Warriors Of The North" and "Under Siege", but as good as these songs are, they are not quite as good as the songs from their previous albums.
25.04.2022 - 11:37
gavdann

Written by AndyMetalFreak on 25.04.2022 at 10:38

By this point it seems like Amon Amarth had decided to stick with the same formula as their last three albums

This was the album where AA started to lose my interest. You're quite right, it was becoming too formulaic. In fairness they tried a few new things on their two most recent albums but it showed them dabbling with trad metal which I found even more dull.

Hits total: 34731 | This month: 26