‹‹ Back to the General metal forum Pages: 1 2 [3]
Users visited: 180  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by R Lewis on 21.04.2013 at 13:02
Metal is not always highly regarded - at least here in Italy - and It took me a lot of time to convince my parents that there was nothing evil in it. One thing that helped me is that I started from really "calm" genres - punk, hard rock - and than gradually switched to heavier styles, but nothing extreme. Now my parents accept it peacefully, 'cause they see Metal makes me happy. And my mom also likes some power ballads.

The real question is: how did your parents react when they discovered what kind of music you listened to? Or did themselves introduce you to metal?

Page 3 of 3

Warman
Erotic Stains

04.05.2013 at 14:43
I grew up with my mother's record collection full of Judas Priest, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin and so on. My dad also listened to a lot of Iron Maiden and Rush. So my parents are one of the reasons why I started listening to metal. They also never cared when I during my teenage years ran around with long hair, a denim jacket full of patches, inverted crosses and pentagrams around my neck, uncomfortable spike bracelets and had a lot of books about Satanism in my room. Damn, how cool was I a couple of years ago...
----

"The Bro Code" article 72: A bro never spell-checks.
nasmith

04.05.2013 at 15:43
My dad was into some Sabbath back in the day (early '70s), and likes some hard rock, but he still can't tell much of a difference between early metal and hard rock (understandable for some of Sabbath's stuff, even though IMO songs like "Children of the Grave," "Symptom of the Universe," and "Black Sabbath" are unmistakably metal).

My mom is the type who thinks that songs like "Hound Dog" by Elvis are too heavy. 'Nuff said.

But they can tolerate the music, and my dad seems to like some of the metal and punk I listen to that isn't so extreme. (I still smirk whenever I show him live videos and as the vocalist, who was just singing cleanly, yells at the crowd to get them worked up, and my dad's all like, "This is just yelling and screaming."

I can understand them to an extent though, because it took me some time to be able to take songs with black metal, death metal, or metalcore vocals seriously. And I still think that if a vocalist is going to sing with a definite pitch (a tune), then they should be able to sing well or just stick to either atonal yelling or harsh vocals XD
TastetheSin

14.05.2013 at 01:08
Yea my Y chromosome is a big Sabbath fan. Only thing we agree on actually. My Mom loves shit like Celiene Dion, so that tells you.
MetalAce
The Eternal

12.01.2014 at 16:14
Quote:
Written by JaciLeigh on 25.04.2013 at 01:58

why would he say something that weird? As if listening to some music can be dangerous.

He just doesn't want me listening to something satanic and the like. We are a highly religious, Christian family haha. Black metal makes me uncomfortable, as good as some of it is, anyway so I don't have much to worry about. Although, I do listen to Welicoruss from time to time...

. . . But I know I'm more religious than you, though my great-great fathers were Islam's first leaders! But I listen to many kinds of extreme metal, specially death and black. It depends how you like it, And what you learn of it, do you like it for vocal, melody, satan, or nothing? At first, when I was 12-13(when I started my metal career) my friends and family called me an idiot and who likes to worship satan KEEP METAL
----
...And soon the world will cease to be
Góral
Combo Breaker

12.01.2014 at 19:50
Since I can remember in my house you can hear bands like Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, UFO - this is mainly thanks to the musical taste of my dad. Maybe that's why
my parents were always tolerant and accepted my music (it was important only not to be too loud). I remember once that I caught my mom in the listening to "Blut Aus Nord - Axis" while vacuuming my room (supposedly started by accident). "Even cool" - she commented
no one

12.01.2014 at 20:19
When i was young i lived with my mum who was never there or i was homeless, so they never really heard what i listened to anyway. These days if i visit a parent i sure as hell won't make it awkward by cranking some Xasthur or something while talking to them. So well i guess they really never knew, but probably have some idea by the wired t shirts i wear.
----
hipster fag
deadone
Mainstream Poser

13.01.2014 at 00:29
My parents couldn't care less. They got me Ride The Lightning for my 13th birthday.
-DC-002-
Mastercommander

13.01.2014 at 02:13
Written by deadone on 13.01.2014 at 00:29

My parents couldn't care less. They got me Ride The Lightning for my 13th birthday.

So they probably did care a little bit
----
Coldgrits
deadone
Mainstream Poser

13.01.2014 at 02:15
Well in positive way!

They also used to buy me beer when I was 15. They figured it was better that I knew what I was drinking and where rather than not. Their only stipulation was that I didn't end up in hospital or get arrested.
Mattybu

13.01.2014 at 23:41
Surprisingly neither of my parents seem to mind at all (not that I would expect my dad to, more my mom is the surprising one), and neither of them got me into metal, or listen to any of it.
Schnabeltier 24

14.01.2014 at 00:17
Same here, they don't find it to be something special... But my mother sometimes asks me why I buy so much cds, and I answer : "mom, I listen to REAL music, not to these crappy raps"
----
Hey there, tiny wench !
Lady GaGa

14.01.2014 at 14:27
My dad listens to Metal, He listened to Metal since the 60s Black Sabbath.
----
Dentura
Shadow King

18.01.2014 at 03:21
My parents kind of just accept the fact that I listen to it nowadays, even though when I was younger they would say the usual shtick like "I don't want you to listen to stuff about death" or "Why don't you listen to something more positive for a change". I think they kind of get by now that it hasn't really changed who I am as a person, it's just my musical tastes that seem unusual to them. The most "metal" my parents could ever get into was glam metal for my dad and pop-punk for my mom, so basically radio stuff, nothing like the stuff I typically listen to.
----
...And so death to the falsity of thy former rulers. Thy kingdom of "heaven" burns in a field of fire, and Dentura is the one true God thou must yield thy hearts and souls to in absolute submission. It is his ultimate decree and will unto thee..
SuicidalCyco
No Mercy

18.01.2014 at 04:54
My dad told me about AC/DC and Metallica when I was in first grade. And I kept getting into more metal but he once told me not to listen to death metal but he doesn't really care all that much anymore. Its my brother and sister who think I shouldn't listen to metal, but they also think that only women are supposed to have long hair so what do they know.
----
The sun may never set on the British empire, but it never sets on my asshole either.
Thrashette

19.01.2014 at 19:20
Written by SuicidalCyco on 18.01.2014 at 04:54

they also think that only women are supposed to have long hair so what do they know.

My dad has a thing against guys with long hair... Whenever he sees my long-haired male metalhead friends, he tells me to invite them over so he can shave their hair off. And then when they actually do get a hair cut, he instantly likes them better and is a lot nicer to them. Guess it's more the image of metalheads than the music they listen to that he dislikes. He's not too fond of long hair on women either though, always tells me I should cut mine even though it's never been longer than mid-back length.
SuicidalCyco
No Mercy

20.01.2014 at 02:30
Written by Thrashette on 19.01.2014 at 19:20

Written by SuicidalCyco on 18.01.2014 at 04:54

they also think that only women are supposed to have long hair so what do they know.

My dad has a thing against guys with long hair... Whenever he sees my long-haired male metalhead friends, he tells me to invite them over so he can shave their hair off. And then when they actually do get a hair cut, he instantly likes them better and is a lot nicer to them. Guess it's more the image of metalheads than the music they listen to that he dislikes. He's not too fond of long hair on women either though, always tells me I should cut mine even though it's never been longer than mid-back length.

Yeah I get that from a few people I know as well because of my hair length.
----
The sun may never set on the British empire, but it never sets on my asshole either.

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Login or register to post here.