Metal Storm logo
Your Parents' Reaction To Metal

Original post

Posted by R Lewis, 21.04.2013 - 13:02
Metal is not always highly regarded - at least here in Italy - and It took me a lot of time to convince my parents that there was nothing evil in it. One thing that helped me is that I started from really "calm" genres - punk, hard rock - and than gradually switched to heavier styles, but nothing extreme. Now my parents accept it peacefully, 'cause they see Metal makes me happy. And my mom also likes some power ballads.

The real question is: how did your parents react when they discovered what kind of music you listened to? Or did themselves introduce you to metal?
24.04.2013 - 15:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.04.2013 at 14:13
??? why would he say something that weird? As if listening to some music can be dangerous.

One of these days I will finally blast Sadness Will Prevail in its entirety. We'll see what happens...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.04.2013 - 19:06
Hellbrann

I think they hoped it was a phase. When I started growing my hair I my mother wanted to not let me do it, but I persisted. Now she says I look better with long hair. My father likes hard rock and some bands I listen to (like Ill Nino, In Extremo, Rhapsody and Stratovarius) but he is not into it as much as I am. But both of them are happy that I chose my own way in life. Although I tormented them a few days back with Chthonic on loud volumes...don't think they liked that...
----
Druantia | Folk metal
25.04.2013 - 00:51
MojoGG

My mother always says I should turn the volume down and my father likes metal and we always listen to each others favourite song together.
25.04.2013 - 01:58
JaciLeigh

Quote:
why would he say something that weird? As if listening to some music can be dangerous.

He just doesn't want me listening to something satanic and the like. We are a highly religious, Christian family haha. Black metal makes me uncomfortable, as good as some of it is, anyway so I don't have much to worry about. Although, I do listen to Welicoruss from time to time...
25.04.2013 - 12:53
ANGEL REAPER

Quote:
Written by JaciLeigh on 25.04.2013 at 01:58

why would he say something that weird? As if listening to some music can be dangerous.

He just doesn't want me listening to something satanic and the like. We are a highly religious, Christian family haha. Black metal makes me uncomfortable, as good as some of it is, anyway so I don't have much to worry about. Although, I do listen to Welicoruss from time to time...

hey i remember the first time i listened to Black Metal record...i liked the music from the start but all the time while it played i had this feeling i am doing something wrong...(and i wasn't even religious) ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
25.04.2013 - 13:00
JaciLeigh

Quote:
Hey i remember the first time i listened to Black Metal record...i liked the music from the start but all the time while it played i had this feeling i am doing something wrong...(and i wasn't even religious) ...

I do the same thing, so I don't listen to it a lot. However, I already liked the song Kharna before I realized it was black metal and I have to listen to it now XD
25.04.2013 - 13:32
theFIST

Quote:
Written by JaciLeigh on 25.04.2013 at 01:58

well, satan is a character of the christian mythology, so why should that be a problem?
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
25.04.2013 - 13:37
ANGEL REAPER

Quote:
Written by JaciLeigh on 25.04.2013 at 13:00

Hey i remember the first time i listened to Black Metal record...i liked the music from the start but all the time while it played i had this feeling i am doing something wrong...(and i wasn't even religious) ...

I do the same thing, so I don't listen to it a lot. However, I already liked the song Kharna before I realized it was black metal and I have to listen to it now XD

but dont get me wrong i listen to it a lot...its just at that time it was...strange...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
25.04.2013 - 16:29
Mercyful_Kate

My parents actually like a lot of the music I listen to. They're both in their sixties and will listen to a lot of the stoner doom that I like. They also like certain punk and hardcore bands I listen to. I could never get them into the more extreme stuff though. It's just not easy enough listening for a couple of kids who grew up on The Beatles and Neil Young.
26.04.2013 - 04:49
Daysleeper92

MMM... Well both my mom and dad didnt say me anything at all, in fact they said: "if you like it, its ok", strangely my friends (they´re not metalheads) where the ones, well not all of them but they said at the beginning "OMG how can you listen to that, that may be satanic and bla bla bla" ¬¬
26.04.2013 - 13:31
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I still haven't posted on here? I thought I did. Anyway, it's an interesting topic.

It was a process for me but my parents were never negative about it. I played guitar before I started listening to more extreme forms of metal and by then my parents already knew I had interest in music in general and rock, heavy music in particular. When I started broadening my horizons with metal and several of its subgenres, it was a natural thing. I go to a lot of shows and my parents know a lot of "metalheads", so it isn't a big deal. Luckily, they never gave me a hard time about it. I think that was because my brother also listened to heavy music before and kinda passed that on to me and also my parents let me listen to what I want to because I'm a very independent person and will do what I want regardless. It's part of my personality. If I was a teen, maybe the story would be different.

I can listen to the most extreme forms of metal in my room out loud and they are next door and that doesn't bother them. It's the same as if I would be listening to The Killers, it's just music for them. They can even enjoy some of the prog bands I listen to it when it's softer.

So, I'm happy I have the freedom and that's how it should be.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.04.2013 - 16:09
AljanahLyra

When I started listening to metal my parents thought that the music wasn't good for me, because for them the lyrics were only sad and the mucis was to loud and angry. But I guess that was only because back then I was only twelve.
Now, my mother doesn't care about it and my fahter listenes to some metal bands too. (Like Epica, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius...)When I buy new CD's he also tells me I should put them on his MP3-Player^^
----
"I'm not going to fuck you Carmilla, I'm too pissed off."
~Godbrand, Castlevania~
26.04.2013 - 22:19
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by AljanahLyra on 26.04.2013 at 16:09

Now, my mother doesn't care about it and my fahter listenes to some metal bands too.

Antipodal.

it's just that long back my mom have started doesn't caring about us what we listen to and what not. When i was young, i know pretty well my dad had to listen lot of angry rambling from mom about having an Metal effects on me. But, that doesn't stay it pretty longer before dad handed over me a Sabbath's Paranoid cd and getting fucking crashed down in this whole Heavy Metal culture.
26.04.2013 - 22:25
Opethian

I can remember growing up and listening to music like Slipknot, Cannibal Corpse and it never bothered my step father. It was my mother that tried to keep me away from the music that i loved at the time. I remember this one day i came home from school and she threw away all of my cd's haha ... I look back and laugh about it now but omfg that was the worst day ever.

Im 26 and even till this day my mother doesnt approve of the music that i listen to, but she just doesn't say anything anymore. For those who are still living with their parents and are going through what i went through, all that i can say is ... STASH YOUR MUSIC!
26.04.2013 - 22:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Opethian on 26.04.2013 at 22:25

Im 26 and even till this day my mother doesnt approve of the music that i listen to, but she just doesn't say anything anymore. For those who are still living with their parents and are going through what i went through, all that i can say is ... STASH YOUR MUSIC!

Nowadays it is easier, lock your PC whit password ........and its done, they can not do it
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.04.2013 - 22:45
Opethian

Written by Bad English on 26.04.2013 at 22:29

Nowadays it is easier, lock your PC whit password ........and its done, they can not do it

Very true!
27.04.2013 - 01:55
Sunioj

I can remember growing up and listening to music like Slipknot, Cannibal Corpse and it never bothered my step father. It was my mother that tried to keep me away from the music that i loved at the time. I remember this one day i came home from school and she threw away all of my cd's haha ... I look back and laugh about it now but omfg that was the worst day ever.

Dude, the same shit happened to me. Except she actually lit mines on fire. My mom is pretty irrelevant to me anyways, so its not like I would care if she still said something.

I don't remember how I stashed my CD's, I think I left them in my locker at school or just at someone else's house that I trusted. I never went home with them though, I would always burn a copy just in case it was found.
27.04.2013 - 05:17
Opethian

Written by Sunioj on 27.04.2013 at 01:55

Dude, the same shit happened to me. Except she actually lit mines on fire. My mom is pretty irrelevant to me anyways, so its not like I would care if she still said something.

I don't remember how I stashed my CD's, I think I left them in my locker at school or just at someone else's house that I trusted. I never went home with them though, I would always burn a copy just in case it was found.

Your mom sounds brutal. If it ever happens and if i do decide to have offspring, i will remember my years living with my parents and respect his or her taste in Music
27.04.2013 - 10:19
Sunioj

Written by Opethian on 27.04.2013 at 05:17

Your mom sounds brutal. If it ever happens and if i do decide to have offspring, i will remember my years living with my parents and respect his or her taste in Music

haha yeah man, I should send her a thank you card for inadvertently contributing to my metalness. Indeed, I wouldn't care what they listened to as long as they were respectful about their tastes.
27.04.2013 - 13:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 26.04.2013 at 13:31

I still haven't posted on here? I thought I did. Anyway, it's an interesting topic.

It was a process for me but my parents were never negative about it. I played guitar before I started listening to more extreme forms of metal and by then my parents already knew I had interest in music in general and rock, heavy music in particular. When I started broadening my horizons with metal and several of its subgenres, it was a natural thing. I go to a lot of shows and my parents know a lot of "metalheads", so it isn't a big deal. Luckily, they never gave me a hard time about it. I think that was because my brother also listened to heavy music before and kinda passed that on to me and also my parents let me listen to what I want to because I'm a very independent person and will do what I want regardless. It's part of my personality. If I was a teen, maybe the story would be different.

I can listen to the most extreme forms of metal in my room out loud and they are next door and that doesn't bother them. It's the same as if I would be listening to The Killers, it's just music for them. They can even enjoy some of the prog bands I listen to it when it's softer.

So, I'm happy I have the freedom and that's how it should be.

Why does your brother is not here in this forum, and how long hair he has

Do you live at aparment or private house, I assume since its close to Lisboa its apartment and how rooms you have.

Well IMO easier are to those kids who live whit conservative parents at private house, harder are apartment.
My father never ever say something, I can be awake all nigh, do whatever I want, I could drink booze at home, take a prostitute and do he , ok I never did it anyway, but It was super freedom, I never need do clean, never need do whatever other parents force them to do. my mother is more conservative , but not to metal . so generally I was lucky, but one negative think is they both wanna see what I am doing, so this is why I never ever told them about i net site where I am , I dont need a spys
----

apos;'
[image]
27.04.2013 - 13:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AljanahLyra on 26.04.2013 at 16:09

When I started listening to metal my parents thought that the music wasn't good for me, because for them the lyrics were only sad and the mucis was to loud and angry. But I guess that was only because back then I was only twelve.
Now, my mother doesn't care about it and my fahter listenes to some metal bands too. (Like Epica, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius...)When I buy new CD's he also tells me I should put them on his MP3-Player^^

How is in Suisse whit english language, is it like Portugal, Spain where onky toung ppl can speek

IMO its easyer in mediterania or even in Germany where many dont understand english, so they cant say much about lyrics, but still does life is happy , no life is bitch, and metal bands sing about all shit whats happening.... happy life is illusion
----

apos;'
[image]
28.04.2013 - 20:40
Sangre Sani

My parents are very tolerant about metal music. They occasionaly joke about it, but they don't have a problem with my musical orientation.
28.04.2013 - 20:44
Fredd
Account deleted
They dont what I'm listening to because that I always listen on headphones, they just know it's noisy and I guess they know it's dark and sometimes satanic. I think once or twice they told me to be careful not to listen to blasphemous stuff...
28.04.2013 - 20:54
InnerSelf
proofread free
It's always hard for us in the Arab world because Rock/Metal is a complete alien of a genre to our parents and our community, totally unknown instruments, beats and structures ... Arabic folk and Pop music are pretty standard genres and they rarely stray from the classic (bland) structures and rarely use different instruments; so it was never easy to break down Metal/Rock music for my parents. My Mom is really cool about it and my dad has his concerns especially with the imagery and the Growls
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
28.04.2013 - 22:48
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 28.04.2013 at 20:44

not to listen to blasphemous stuff...

My dad loves that and he always say "if you love Metal, fuck it about gory image, burning churches crap or blasphemy stuff. Just hit the record". Ofcourse, my mom hates all this and that's where the fights use to occur.
29.04.2013 - 00:36
MetallicA

My mom didn't care...she was glad I wasn't into all the pop stuff on the radio though. My dad hates it but doesn't care what I listen to. He never told me not to listen to it. He'll joke around with me saying "what the hell is wrong with you" and such but it's all in good fun.
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
30.04.2013 - 13:19
Zenzero
Zenzero
My parents don't care about of what i listen to! For them (and my neighborhood) the important is that I don't sing in my room, but I do!
04.05.2013 - 10:32
Monolithic
♠♠♠
"So son, anything accessible for us to enjoy?"
04.05.2013 - 14:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
I grew up with my mother's record collection full of Judas Priest, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin and so on. My dad also listened to a lot of Iron Maiden and Rush. So my parents are one of the reasons why I started listening to metal. They also never cared when I during my teenage years ran around with long hair, a denim jacket full of patches, inverted crosses and pentagrams around my neck, uncomfortable spike bracelets and had a lot of books about Satanism in my room. Damn, how cool was I a couple of years ago...
----
04.05.2013 - 15:43
nasmith

My dad was into some Sabbath back in the day (early '70s), and likes some hard rock, but he still can't tell much of a difference between early metal and hard rock (understandable for some of Sabbath's stuff, even though IMO songs like "Children of the Grave," "Symptom of the Universe," and "Black Sabbath" are unmistakably metal).

My mom is the type who thinks that songs like "Hound Dog" by Elvis are too heavy. 'Nuff said.

But they can tolerate the music, and my dad seems to like some of the metal and punk I listen to that isn't so extreme. (I still smirk whenever I show him live videos and as the vocalist, who was just singing cleanly, yells at the crowd to get them worked up, and my dad's all like, "This is just yelling and screaming."

I can understand them to an extent though, because it took me some time to be able to take songs with black metal, death metal, or metalcore vocals seriously. And I still think that if a vocalist is going to sing with a definite pitch (a tune), then they should be able to sing well or just stick to either atonal yelling or harsh vocals XD