04. The Inner Pride
05. Branded
06. The Tide
07. Headhunters
08. Light The Fuse
09. The Request
10. Killers Breeding
11. Evil [bonus]

"Evoking The Demons" is already the fourth album of Horrorscope, a Thrash Metal band from Poland. Between Slayer and Hatesphere this combo plays are really good melodic Thrash which flirts with Death Metal (especially in reason of some vocals). I discovered this band with their last album "Evoking Demons" but if all their precedents releases are as good as this one, I can tell you that I will check them as soon as possible. If you're looking for a good and fresh Thrash Metal album, have a look on this review!

On "Evoking Demons", the music of Horrorscope is composed of a lot of different things. Of course, you'll be able to find frenetic tempos, killer riffs and strong melodic choruses but there are also some strong vocals which can sound like Death or basic Thrash ones. The fact that our guys are all great musicians and found the way to write extremely aggressive but melodic and catchy song is definitely a great point. It's a bit like like a modern Thrash, with modern sonorities but nonetheless with an old school spirit. Even the cover of Mercyful Fate's "Evil" is really convincing, we're not in front of beginners here, that's obvious.

Nothing to say about the production. Recorded at Zedstudio (Poland) this recording sounds like a big international production. The sound is really good, it's easy as hell to hear all the different instruments (even the strong bass), the vocals are easily understandable. The design of the booklet, where is featured all the lyrics (the topics are in general about society problems), is nice and looks really pro. No really it's hard to find bad things on this album, except maybe that the ones who don't like progression in music will be a bit disturbed by the "modern" side of the Thrash of Horrorscope, but really that's a matter of taste.

"Evoking Demons" is not revolutionary but for sure it's tiptop Thrash. We have a lot of great bands in Poland, and Horrorscope is one of them, too bad that only some few ones find a way to become famous all around the world. I hope at least that you'll give a chance to the music of this band, it's not classic old school Thrash on a side, but it's good music nonetheless. "Evoking Demons" is a good surprise, my Thrashers friends, don't miss this one.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 14.12.2006

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 7 users
14.12.2006 - 16:44
Herzebeth
Wow, I found most Thrash metal releases to be mediocre this year, I'll have to hear this one as it sounds great from your review
----

Hits total: 4957 | This month: 6