Metal Storm logo
Making my 1st kutte - where to find cheap patches?

Original post

Posted by Joppe, 24.04.2013 - 18:39
So as the title says, I'm making my 1st kutte and I started doing it from scratch (got a denim jacket and cut the sleeves off and now I'm making some adjustments to its size). Pretty soon I'll be at the point where I'm ready to add some patches to it. I'm not too fond of new metal bands in general, so what I'm mainly looking for is patches of oldschool heavy/thrash/power/speed bands. I know there's patches on ebay but the prices seem just a bit off for me. So where do you find and buy cheap patches?

TL;DR I'm making a kutte and I lack some cheap patches. Any tips would be appreciated.
15.04.2014 - 10:37
toxx
Supreme being
Allright, All the patches are on the vest. Need more though! Going to a used/antique market in a few weeks. Usually a lot of cool vintage stuff there. I think I'll add some buttons as well, if I can find any.

And the back. Still need a backpatch. I'm trying to get a hold of a Pallbearer patch, but the shipping cost is ridicolous. 18$ postage for a 10$ patch that can be sent by letter.

Added a couple on the back yesterday.

Still needs more patches!
16.04.2014 - 10:09
toxx
Supreme being
Written by deadone on 16.04.2014 at 06:24

Who would've thought sewing and metal mixed eh?

My fingers and sewing doesn't mix as good as sewing and metal
16.04.2014 - 10:50
no one
Account deleted
Written by toxx on 16.04.2014 at 10:09

that's why you get a wife
16.04.2014 - 18:28
toxx
Supreme being
Written by Guest on 16.04.2014 at 10:50

Written by toxx on 16.04.2014 at 10:09

that's why you get a wife

I have a wife, and she's worse at sewing than me
17.04.2014 - 06:51
no one
Account deleted
Written by toxx on 16.04.2014 at 18:28

I have a wife, and she's worse at sewing than me

might be time to look for a new one
17.04.2014 - 12:14
toxx
Supreme being
Written by Guest on 17.04.2014 at 06:51

might be time to look for a new one

Nope. Welcome to 2014, Mr. 1960
27.04.2014 - 17:23
Thrashette

Woah, totally didn't notice that Troy tagged me on the first page. Must've been during a period when I didn't lurk the forums much :s
I'm a little late to the party, but I second Joe's recommendation of that Patchnoir store on Ebay. The quality is great, the shipping is fast, and you're getting a deal if you take advantage of the "buy 3 get 1 free". Just be warned that if you order a back patch from them, it's gonna be folded up into a little envelope and you'll have to put it under a pile of heavy books for a night to make it lie flat.

If you're an Ebayer with a lot of patience (because shipping will take a really long time), there's a wholesaler in Honduras to get you started http://www.ebay.ca/usr/selvamayahonduras2012?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
I think I also grabbed a couple from http://stores.ebay.ca/A-PATCH-E-SHOP?_rdc=1 as well

And of course, don't forget that sites like Etsy or Storenvy may also have what you're looking for at a good price! Or they might help you find someone who can do a custom patch for you if no other source has what you're looking for. I have some non-metal related pins on my jacket. I bought them from Fan Expo Canada and definitely didn't spend more than $1-2 on each one, so geeky conventions can be a good source too :p

As for sewing, you can get a kit at the dollar store. You don't need super expensive thread since you should be double threading the needle anyways. My only concern is that if you're sewing through leather or really thick denim, you'll want a better needle. I'm no expert on sewing but I just grabbed the first sharp needle I found in my house and it worked fine. I don't know why people are so intimidated by the idea of sewing. It's really not that hard and it's one of the many handicrafts that can be learnt just by watching Youtube tutorials. There's iron-on patches too, but I find that those ones are often lower quality and I would prefer to sew them at least at the corners just in case...

Written by deadone on 16.04.2014 at 06:24

Who would've thought sewing and metal mixed eh?

I've been knitting and listening to metal since I was like 13
The combination of handicrafts and metal is a very typical thing for me
28.04.2014 - 09:11
toxx
Supreme being
Bought a few of mine here: http://stores.ebay.com/mextremista

Super fast shipping. The dude even e-mailed me, confirming that he had shipped the patches, and thanking me for fast payment. Recommended.
29.04.2014 - 14:48
toxx
Supreme being
Looking for badges/buttons/pins too. Anyone have any good suggestions to where I can find that?
30.04.2014 - 00:26
ANGEL REAPER

Make patches by yourself ... here you cant get any metal (or hardly any) related products so if you are into anything other than Iron Maiden/Metallica you cant get em

i personally print them or draw them myself (which is cheep and also gives you + DIY KVLT factor )
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
30.04.2014 - 04:16
Thrashette

Written by toxx on 29.04.2014 at 14:48

Looking for badges/buttons/pins too. Anyone have any good suggestions to where I can find that?

This is one of the stores I came by on Ebay back when I was making mine
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/button-machine?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
They sell them in packs of 4+, so it might be difficult if you're looking for a variety. You could always resell the ones you don't want though.
One of the sellers sent me a pack of the wrong patches and I was able to resell enough of them on Ebay to cover the cost, plus I got my correct order free.
30.04.2014 - 08:00
toxx
Supreme being
Written by Thrashette on 30.04.2014 at 04:16

This is one of the stores I came by on Ebay back when I was making mine
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/button-machine?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
They sell them in packs of 4+, so it might be difficult if you're looking for a variety. You could always resell the ones you don't want though.
One of the sellers sent me a pack of the wrong patches and I was able to resell enough of them on Ebay to cover the cost, plus I got my correct order free.

Awesome! Just what I was looking for. I have actually searched for stores like that, but haven't seen that one yet! Thanks a lot
15.05.2014 - 14:22
toxx
Supreme being
Added a small piece of homemade chainmail. Think it turned out pretty cool.

Now I'm just waiting for my Pallbearer purple goat backpatch to arrive!
15.05.2014 - 15:42
raveneffect

Would be awesome if we had a "Show us your Battle Vest" Thread
15.05.2014 - 15:44
toxx
Supreme being
Written by raveneffect on 15.05.2014 at 15:42

You should start one?
15.05.2014 - 15:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by raveneffect on 15.05.2014 at 15:42

You should go ahead and make one save people using this one and t-shirts thread.
15.05.2014 - 16:55
raveneffect

Will do.

http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=50675