Metal Storm logo
The Ruins Of Beverast - Blood Vaults (The Blazing Gospel Of Heinrich Kramer)

8.1 | 143 votes |
Release date: 6 September 2013
Style: Black metal, Doom metal

Owners:

99 have it
13 want it

01. Apologia
02. Daemon
03. Malefica
04. Ornaments On Malice
05. Spires, The Wailing City
06. A Failed Exorcism
07. Trial
08. Ordeal
09. Monument

The Best Extreme Doom Metal Album Of 2013

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
If you're one who pays close attention to the wretched cries of the metal underground, The Ruins Of Beverast, brainchild of ex-Nagelfar drummer Alexander Von Meilenwald, is probably a band on your radar. Bursting onto the scene with the powerful Unlock The Shrine in 2004, this impressive black metal one manner quickly proved itself a force to be reckoned with with its subsequent releases. 2009's Foulest Semen Of A Sheltered Elite took things to the next level, merging a sizable dose of doom into the mixing and making an already gloomy sound even more ominous and mesmerizing. For better or worse, however, the next step from there was a bit of a bump in the road.

Read more ››
published 05.05.2017 | Comments (0)

Found in 24 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 47   Visited by: 553 users
26.04.2013 - 13:37
Rating: 9
Here's one of the songs off this album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtkiAfB1oLk
31.07.2013 - 12:59
Rating: 7
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Another song from the album released

23.08.2013 - 03:27
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
And the third one is now streaming here. This is going to be fucking massive.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
28.08.2013 - 12:01
Guillero
http://www.van-records.de/products/en/The-Ruins-of-Beverast-Blood-Vaults-hardcover-digisleeve-CD.html

I'm assuming this is a pre-order, because in the webpage doesn't say nothing.
02.09.2013 - 18:06
Rating: 6
Neachy
The blue fellow on the cover of this fantastic album reminds me of the cover of Porcupine Tree's In Absentia.
03.09.2013 - 02:53
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
After one listen I can say I am certainly not disappointed. Not my favorite RoB release, but then again I love all of Von Meilenwald's work. A little less stylistic variation from previous album than I would have liked, but still enough to keep me interested. This will probably get a 9/10 from me, but supplementary listens may decrease my interest. I think I can say with confidence, that this is another win from Von Meilenwald.
05.09.2013 - 16:26
Mountain King
K i K o
I don't anything about this band and I don't like Black Metal in genetal but the artwork is perfect...
07.09.2013 - 02:18
Rating: 8
Chobo_jokeR
I found the album to meander at times, which hurt my overall enjoyment of the album. It may have been about 10 minutes too long with some of the "filler". I'll give it some more listens (i've only listened 3 or 4 times through), as the album may grow a little more. This being said, this is some damn good music. Great atmosphere and sound.
07.09.2013 - 22:22
scaesura
8.5 for me. I rounded up to a 9. Like all Ruins albums, it's not perfect, it meanders at times and such. But for what it is, it's really damn good, and when he knocks it out of the park [as he does on A Failed Exorcism, Malefica, and a couple other tracks here], the results are pretty special.
08.09.2013 - 10:24
3rdWorld
China was a neat
You get exactly what you expect from a TRoB album. Half way through now, Spires The Wailing City really caught my attention. Rest all were equally good solid tracks.
08.09.2013 - 14:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 08.09.2013 at 10:24

Spires The Wailing City

Definitely the standout track here (apart from the black metal one, Ordeal I think).
08.09.2013 - 23:44
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Guest on 08.09.2013 at 14:30

Definitely the standout track here (apart from the black metal one, Ordeal I think).

100% Agreed on that.
10.09.2013 - 16:51
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Ah, well... here's my take on the damn thing:

http://lastrit.es/reviews/7093/the-ruins-of-beverast-blood-vaults---the-blazing-gospel-of-heinrich-kramer
----
Brujerizmo!
10.09.2013 - 16:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Konrad on 10.09.2013 at 16:51

http://lastrit.es/reviews/7093/the-ruins-of-beverast-blood-vaults---the-blazing-gospel-of-heinrich-kramer

how are Sveinn and Von Meilenwald directly involved with Urfaust except that Svenn's Van Records (which Von Meilenwald has had nothing to do with for a long long time) release Urfaust's stuff and Ruins Of Beverast has released one split with them? Musically they are of no influential whatsoever on Urfaust. Maybe I am getting you wrong but when someone says 'directly involved' I Always think of it on a musical level.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.09.2013 - 13:58
Rating: 9
LEXru
Very atmospheric album, I like it.
12.09.2013 - 22:29
The Voyager
The Table
Written by Konrad on 10.09.2013 at 16:51

You really said very little about the actual album. It was mostly just a history lesson on The Ruins of Beverast. If you're writing a review, you should try to make sure you actually review the album. Also wasn't very professional of you to show such an immense bias towards the band. It's fine with saying you like the music, since that's part of a review, but it was pretty obvious you were just worshiping von Meilenwald the whole time. Just my two cents.
13.09.2013 - 22:41
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
After listening to this a good number of times, I really can't see why anyone would say it's dull or monotonous. There's quite a large array of emotions throughout it, and along with Unlock The Shrine it might be Von Meilenwald's most atmospheric album yet, if not the most. Also highly melodic and harmonic, like on "Malefica," "A Failed Exorcism," "Trial," and even the middle of "Ornaments On Malice." I can see people being disappointed with Blood Vaults because it's not black metal enough, but still, to deny that it's a fucking excellent piece of work would be pretty ignorant.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
18.09.2013 - 15:38
MandoMikey
I love TRoB, really truly madly deeply, but i just dont find this album interesting at all - comes across as pretentious, self indulgent and dull. Its not a bad album by definition, its just ok. too much style, no substance. i say all of this as a huge fan, im rather dissapointed. i will continue to give it my time and listens because i really want to love this album, but for the while, i rly dont.
----
In a sane world as it should be, and it wont be for a while, we'll do away with capital and pay for things with smiles.
In a sane world as it should be, however slim the chances, we'll do away with capital and pay for things with dances.
28.09.2013 - 18:47
gnirpz
That's my first experience with TRoB. Honnestly, I really like the fusionning of the doom and black here. Those two style are growing more and more in me since the beggining of the year so that album appers in the really good timing. I'm probably overrate that record for that reason but overall, it's an excellent one anyway. I like when music brings you a weird felling. the production is well done and the tracks order is awsome. the opening advise you what's coming and the closure Monument confirm you : "Yeah, I'm depressing, I should close the light, light-up a candle, lower the temp"

On the 2013 gnirpz's essentials for sure.
31.10.2013 - 15:53
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
First time listening to this band as well. Not really my kind of thing but the music has some ingredients that appeal to me. Of course you know which ones...
----
rekt
31.10.2013 - 16:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 31.10.2013 at 15:53

First time listening to this band as well. Not really my kind of thing but the music has some ingredients that appeal to me. Of course you know which ones...

If by that you mean post-metal then I have to inform you that this album is totally devoid of that particular style
11.11.2013 - 01:20
musicalkaratekid
This is about the most blackened piece of music I've heard all year. It sometimes reminds me of early Candlemass and other times of very early MDB, but with a unique and original twist thanks to those well-orchestrated parts throughout. 'Malefica', 'A failed exorcism' and 'Ordeal' alone made me want to check these guys out more. The closer is a little underwhelming for me, but even then there's a sense of grandiosity and epic overtones.
15.01.2014 - 18:41
mz
Easily my most favorite TRoB album and only album of him I'd be playing regularly in future. This band got better gradually with every release since he is moving into doomier territory continuously. TRoB gets annoying for me during it's faster moments most of the time and I'm glad to see that these moments are minimal here. Not to mention that these moments are a lot more interesting than his earlier stuff.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
15.01.2014 - 18:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 15.01.2014 at 18:41

Easily my most favorite TRoB album and only album of him I'd be playing regularly in future. This band got better gradually with every release since he is moving into doomier territory continuously. TRoB gets annoying for me during it's faster moments most of the time and I'm glad to see that these moments are minimal here. Not to mention that there are a lot more interesting than his earlier stuff.

Hell no Aside from the first demo this is by far his least interesting record. Sound is too clean and too empty and the album is lacking in variation compared to earlier records (which always had a great mix of black and doom, whereas this is just doom).
15.01.2014 - 18:58
InnerSelf
proofread free
Have to agree with Joe here, I still listen to the first three records every once and a while, but I don;t see myself going back to listen to this that often.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
15.01.2014 - 19:16
mz
Written by Guest on 15.01.2014 at 18:50

Hell no Aside from the first demo this is by far his least interesting record. Sound is too clean and too empty and the album is lacking in variation compared to earlier records (which always had a great mix of black and doom, whereas this is just doom).

NAH. I agree that this is less varied than his other albums, but that's a good thing as he dumped those elements I did not like
Moreover, the production is not bad really, it is clear but not "too clear".
One of the worst thing about albums like UtS is drumming. I've noticed that TRoB's fans consider Blood Vaults to have the weakest drumming among all of his albums but I\d go for the exact opposite on this. In addition, BV is the only album of TRoB which justifies its length for me.
I guess I'm getting too weird according to your standards
----
15.01.2014 - 19:17
mz
Written by InnerSelf on 15.01.2014 at 18:58

Have to agree with Joe here, I still listen to the first three records every once and a while, but I don;t see myself going back to listen to this that often.

I simply fail to see what's so great about those albums.
----
15.01.2014 - 19:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 15.01.2014 at 19:16

NAH. I agree that this is less varied than his other albums, but that's a good thing as he dumped those elements I did not like
Moreover, the production is not bad really, it is clear but not "too clear".
One of the worst thing about albums like UtS is drumming. I've noticed that TRoB's fans consider Blood Vaults to have the weakest drumming among all of his albums but I\d go for the exact opposite on this. In addition, BV is the only album of TRoB which justifies its length for me.
I guess I'm getting too weird according to your standards

Yeah the drumming here was very simplistic, especially considering the pedigree of von Meilenwald.

And of course, you're a freak for not liking the first three albums
15.01.2014 - 19:28
mz
Written by Guest on 15.01.2014 at 19:21

Yeah the drumming here was very simplistic, especially considering the pedigree of von Meilenwald.

And of course, you're a freak for not liking the first three albums

would it be blasphemy to say that his drumming on three first records is bad and he is not a good drummer AT ALL?
----
15.01.2014 - 19:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 15.01.2014 at 19:28

would it be blasphemy to say that his drumming on three first records is bad and he is not a good drummer AT ALL?

Yes

Hits total: 14412 | This month: 36