Metal Storm logo
Clean vocals vs growl

Poll

What do you prefer? Clean vocals or growl?

Clean vocals
Growl

Total votes: 252
16.12.2006 - 14:48
Warman
Erotic Stains
This is a pretty tough question and I do find it interesting to see what we Metalstormers prefer.
If I had to choose between clean vocals or growl I'm certain that I would choose the second option. I am right now into more extreme and heavier metal and that's the reason why I choose growl.

EDIT: Some wish to have a third option which includes both options. I didn't include it because I want a more clear result.
----
16.12.2006 - 16:01
matthioso

The best to me is a mix of both in songs, but I prefer a song with just growls than a song with only clean vocals.
----
www.seedofrock.be
16.12.2006 - 16:33
Basso
Account deleted
I prefer growls generally but I wont vote since clean vocals do at times fit better. I could for example not even imagine With Streanth I burn from emperor without thoose epic clean vocals. Or Opeth without åkerfeldts beutiful voice..
16.12.2006 - 18:06
FOOCK Nam

I like both and same as mathioso, I like mixing both in a song, epic clean vocal captivates me and it combined with growl, is best.
16.12.2006 - 18:42
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
its really hard to decide exactly what is better, every mood has its vocals but now I go for clean more (dunno why )
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
16.12.2006 - 20:12
MetalSpider

Some songs just work better with growls and some work better with clean vocals. Some work well with both. Its really hard to decide. I listen to a lot of power, heavy and prog metal along with some extreme power, melodic death metal and death metal.

If I had to choose just one, I would probably go with clean.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
16.12.2006 - 21:56
Mega-Slayer

Well its weird,for the past 3 months all I have been listening to all Death metal,or at least death/thrash.So last night I was was listening to Metallica,Megadeth,Venom and Overkill,and it just was intense enough for me.Ohh well I switch on and off,depends on how I am feeling
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
16.12.2006 - 22:17
RavenLord

It depends. Sometimes, only growls work (Amon Amarth), but at other times, a bit of both works wonders ('Punish My Heaven' by Dark Tranquillity, 'Beyond the Veil' by Tristania <-there's some wonderful light and shade in that song!). At other times, clean vocals are the best bet (Iron Maiden, Diamond Head, Sabbat). It depends what the song is, what mood the artist is trying to create, and what mood I'm in. I abstain.
----
16.12.2006 - 23:07
Mega-Slayer

An alternative for me is Amorphis,on "Tales From The Thousand Lakes" you get a good portion of both clean and intense gutteral vocals.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
17.12.2006 - 01:02
Eternal Flames

It really depends on the band. A range of clean and growled vocals works with quite a few bands and I think it works just incredibly. Opeth, Edge Of Sanity, Amorphis, I think it just sounds amazing with the balance of the different vocal styles. I couldn't really decide which I prefer because it really depends on my mood. I mean, there are really good and really shite vocalists in both styles, so it's really hard to choose one. Since I've found myself listening to a lot more prog, power and heavy metal lately, I'll have to vote for clean, but quite honestly I think they are both quite equal for me.
17.12.2006 - 02:22
Xeper
Account deleted
Clean or growl, it has to be "heavy". So no whiny pop singing, it needs to have balls in it. Like Hietala or Barlow. I like some "softer" singers too though, Ville Laihiala for example.

As for growling a bit of articulation won't do bad, Tomi Joutsen has some fucking killer growls...
17.12.2006 - 04:25
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Depends on what music you're listening to. I'll go for the growl though because I am a huge death and black fan. Black metal vocals don't really fit into clean or growls. They are more raspy and shriek-like, but I guess they'd be considered as growls by some. Quite a good thread actually.
17.12.2006 - 13:51
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Really depends on the band...but in my opinion, *any* band can have clean vocals - it takes a special band to have growls. And I don't mean like Children of Bodom - they'd sound roughly the same with both styles, but bands that it "fits", like Finntroll and Thyrfing - they'd be lesser bands with clean vocals. I think growling adds a whole new dimension to *some* music, while clean vocals *can* add new dimensions to their music, it usually does not...on the flipside though, a bad growler is slightly more bearable than a bad singer, but I'd rather have without both.

On that note, when I hear growls, I'm thinking either the deep, strong death growls and not the high-pitched black metal shrieking, but I can take both....just as with clean vocals I'm picturing power-metal-esque extremely high vocals and not the full range of vocals which the human body posseses.
17.12.2006 - 17:12
RavenLord

To elaborate, here's a list I came up with in a Maidenfans thread regarding my top 10 vocalists. My list was (in no particular order):

Johann Hegg (Amon Amarth)
Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquillity)
Bruce Dickinson (Who?)
Rob Halford (Judas Priest)
Martin Walkyier (Sabbat)
Matt Barlow (ex-Iced Earth)
Sean Harris (Diamond Head)
Henrik Wenngren (Skyfire)
Morten Veland (ex-Tristania, Sirenia)
Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)

Growlers
1. Johann Hegg (Amon Amarth)
2. Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquillity)
3. Henrik Wenngren (Skyfire)
4. Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
5. Morten Veland (ex-Tristania, Sirenia)

Clean vocals
1. Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
2. Rob Halford (Judas Priest)
3. Martin Walkyier (Sabbat)
4. Matt Barlow (ex-Iced Earth)
5. Sean Harris (Diamond Head)
6. Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)

As you can see, I'm split pretty much down the middle. And since I didn't include vocalists such as Simone Simons or Vibeke Stenne (I'm only just getting into Epica again, and I didn't want two vocalists from the same band in the list), it's all male, although I do enjoy quite a few female vocalists. Go figure.
----
18.12.2006 - 01:24
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
Well... it depends from "musical situation"...
The best vocalist can growls when it necessary and also sings in other cases. And also he/she knows when may use his/her vocal abilitys... Technique without spirit is nothing... is dead.
I choose growling and/or singing!
18.12.2006 - 05:27
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
In general I prefer clean vocals, but it deppends of the band too, there are some bands that I like when there are growls, though I have to admit that these aren't many
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
18.12.2006 - 15:03
arwestromen

this is a tuff question, I preffer most of the time clean vocals but I love those songs when they´ve mixed clean and growl. like In Flames
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
18.12.2006 - 16:41
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by arwestromen on 18.12.2006 at 15:03

this is a tuff question, I preffer most of the time clean vocals but I love those songs when they´ve mixed clean and growl. like In Flames

I think I also prefer the vocals sang in that way, I was thinking about including that as an option but I want a more specifik answer so that was why I only chose to include growl or clean vocals.
----
18.12.2006 - 17:03
Sunioj

I think growls, though I like clean vocals cuz Im a fan of some power metal bands, most of the bands I listen to growl.
18.12.2006 - 20:05
RavenLord

While I agree (Tristania, Dark Tranquillity, Ensiferum), In Flames is a very bad example. Anders Friden has to have one of the worst voices I've heard in a long while, especially his clean vocals...just my thought.
----
18.12.2006 - 20:10
Hellish Star

Clean vocals; very high pitched and strong like James Rivera (Helstar,..), John Cyriis (ex Agent Steel), Ski (Deadly Blessing), Juan Ricardo (Dark Arena), Rick Mythiasin (Steel Prophet,...), Harry Concklin (Jag Panzer), Kelly Carpenter (Outworld),...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
19.12.2006 - 02:28
morbid_freak
Account deleted
Growls, It gives me a sense of just ' fuck it all brutal shit'. I like that.
19.12.2006 - 06:06
Empress

Written by Eternal Flames on 17.12.2006 at 01:02

It really depends on the band. A range of clean and growled vocals works with quite a few bands and I think it works just incredibly. Opeth, Edge Of Sanity, Amorphis, I think it just sounds amazing with the balance of the different vocal styles.

That sums it up nicely as it really does depends on the band and how well they combine the two together. I prefer the cleaner vocal sound for the most part and will quickly reject a band with growls that sound like they are trying to cough up a fur ball or worse (as many do). If all you can do is up-chuck your lunch to music then I recommend you don't quit your day job as I won't buy your album!
19.12.2006 - 18:42
Rimfrost

Both styles serve their respective purpouses, I lay down my vote.
20.12.2006 - 04:57
Bitch Boy

Definitely clean vocals, mainly because I prefer melodic bands. This doesn't mean that I dislike growls (some growls sound really good along with female voices) but I admire those vocalists who can reach high levels like Bruce Dickinson, Daniel Heiman, Russell Allen, etc.
21.12.2006 - 10:45
arwestromen

Written by RavenLord on 18.12.2006 at 20:05

While I agree (Tristania, Dark Tranquillity, Ensiferum), In Flames is a very bad example. Anders Friden has to have one of the worst voices I've heard in a long while, especially his clean vocals...just my thought.

you really think so? I think his clean voice sounds cool....maby not one of the best voices but it isn´t bad
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
21.12.2006 - 23:01
RavenLord

Written by arwestromen on 21.12.2006 at 10:45

you really think so? I think his clean voice sounds cool....maby not one of the best voices but it isn´t bad

Difference of opinion, friend. I think In Flames' biggest mistake was getting Friden to do vocals; I can tolerate him up to a certain point, but I listen to In Flames' (up to and including Clayman) for the guitars and keyboards (in Clayman), not for vocals. But that's just different opinions.
----
21.12.2006 - 23:34
Mariela.
Account deleted
that's a very tough question..because it depends on the band.. And I realy can't decide so i guess i won't vote this time =)
22.12.2006 - 21:48
Flame

This is really good questions. There are some bands better with clean voice and some with growl, but the best is when both styles are mixed. If i have to decide for one ill vote for growl.
22.12.2006 - 21:57
Flame

Written by RavenLord on 21.12.2006 at 23:01

Written by arwestromen on 21.12.2006 at 10:45

Difference of opinion, friend. I think In Flames' biggest mistake was getting Friden to do vocals; I can tolerate him up to a certain point, but I listen to In Flames' (up to and including Clayman) for the guitars and keyboards (in Clayman), not for vocals. But that's just different opinions.

You are right about difference of opinion, but I cant agree with you about Friden, cuz he is very good singer and his voice (clear or growl) is excellent. In Flames were not so good before he came in band.