Metal Storm logo
Justin Broadrick (Godflesh, jesu, et all)

19.05.2006 - 23:10
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Feel free to discuss Godflesh, jesu, Final, or any of the other Justin Broadrick projects here.

Some helpful/useful links:

http://www.godflesh.com/index.html (Crumbling Flesh - a JB endorsed fan site with TONS of info)
http://justinkbroadrick.blogspot.com/ (Justin's blog site)
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.05.2006 - 23:28
Southern Wind
Account deleted
he performed in Napalm Death's "From Enslavement To Obliteration"? that's the best album ever for Grindcore...

about Godflesh, I only own Streetcleaner and it's a truly masterpiece, dirty and very angry industrial/grindcore, and well, Jesu are awesome... I listened to their new EP and was a bit disspointing compared with the self-titled, but still among the best on this year.
19.05.2006 - 23:43
Alfonso
He actually only played on Side A of "Scum"... there's a Napalm demo they did before Scum with that name but I don't know if he played on that or not...

The Jesu releases are easilly the best thing he's done since Godflesh's "Selfless"... it's amazing how well the drone/shoegazing influences mix with Justin's trademark pummeling. Does anyone know where I can purchase "Heartbreak" and the vinyl for the new EP?
----
20.05.2006 - 01:46
Southern Wind
Account deleted
@Alfonso: maybe you mean "heartache"... well, you can easily get Jesu stuff through Amazon (at least that's how I purchased mine).
20.05.2006 - 02:04
stealthassassin
Account deleted
He is a great musician, i like his new band Jesu, has an original sound and the songs are very good, i never heard a sound like that ..... just good
20.05.2006 - 04:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
POSER!

j/k, heh. Pardon the digression into schoolyard politics.

I'm still looking for that one as well. I just checked Amazon and no heartache. I'm heartbroken.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
25.05.2006 - 03:20
Zombie, M.D.
A bit overpriced, but here is where I picked up Heartache:

Link
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
25.05.2006 - 12:50
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
You can also simply buy it directly from the label:
http://www.dryrun.net/
26.05.2006 - 02:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
...that would work. I made the mistake of checking HH records...
----

30.05.2006 - 11:41
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
Godflesh is excellent, like slowed down grind with a sort of fear-ridden, anxiety-filled atmosphere. I got into Godflesh through Converge, who list it as one of their major influences. I still need to check out jesu.
30.05.2006 - 14:20
Deliverancer
Account deleted
I got into his work through a recommendation i got about "Heartach" , went on with the s/t and Final
Godflesh was brought to my attention by a cover Isis did to "Streecleaner", a prety solid one if you ask me

"Silver", the new EP, is kinda different; more mellow and atmospheric than his previous stuff in Jesu but still a great piece
08.10.2006 - 18:08
SkinChamber
Account deleted
Just been listening the s/t Jesu album, blows me away everytime! Just thought Mr. Broadrick's work deserved another mention.

Justin also played guitar on the Scorn album 'Vae Solis' with another ex-Nalpalm Death member Mitch Harris, another amazing band you guys should check out! Also Robert Hampson ex-Loop who played guitar in Godflesh think it was around 'Pure', he had a project under the name Main which is worth checking out, pretty minimal sound I love the 'Hydra' ep!
13.10.2006 - 21:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
I like the one Scorn album I have - "Colussus." I also have "Somnific Flux" - an electronic album with two songs each clocking in at over 30 minutes which was a collaboration between Bill Laswell and Mick. It's great ambient.
----

16.10.2006 - 02:40
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
i really dont know why everyone is soo let down with the recent Jesu material...i like the mellower direction Broadrick took with The Silver EP...something i can relax to and Paint...yet i can do the same with the self titled and Heartache...so my comment i guess is pointless
17.10.2006 - 00:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Not sure who was down on it? I posted favorably on "Silver" on the prior incarnation of the MS boards... I love the EP.
----

17.10.2006 - 01:03
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
i was speaking generally actually...alot of people i know personally called the New EP mediocre...it wasnt towards anyone on here
17.10.2006 - 22:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
ok, was just wondering. i don't know of anyone offhand who listens to Godflesh or jesu, so my only interaction with folks opinions of his works have been magazine critics (given a good review in the one I read - revolver mag, i believe) and posters here on MS.

let's just say when you hit your 30's, the number of people in your circle of friends who listen to metal or other out of the norm genres of music is a rapidly dwindling one.
----

18.10.2006 - 02:06
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
@bittercold

thats common..they all wanna start familes which is fine...but why compromise your ideals and tastes?...

Yeah...most of the reviews about Godflesh or Jesu that i read are Good ones with the Exception of a Bullshit Review in Punk Planet Regarding Jesu's self titled Stating...."that its boring and Repetitive" and something Else along the lines of "Justin Broadrick Having Mike Patton Syndrome where anything he does people assume is Creative and good"...then ironically,the Reviewer when onto praising all these Generic street punk band's recent albums that all sound the same...as well as all having the same Lamass "anarchy themed album cover"...sorry to rant
22.10.2006 - 19:48
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
i forgot to mention my favorite Godflesh Album "Messiah"....this album is what got me hooked..."wilderness of Mirrors" is one of the most beautiful songs...and to this day still havent heard anything Quite like it..
23.10.2006 - 06:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Lots of interesting news from Justin's blog. http://justinkbroadrick.blogspot.com/

Jesu has a new album, "Conqueror", target is a release in February, 2007. A US tour will follow.

(bah, couldn't post the album cover)

Also, he just finished playing with Sunn O))) on the UK/Ireland tour leg.
----

24.10.2006 - 01:12
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
my day is perfect...i just got the new Converge in the Mail...now news of a New Jesu Album
24.10.2006 - 03:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
a copy of what may or may not be the album cover can be found in here, in my ms profile:

http://metalstorm.ee/users/photo_view.php?pic_id=1844&user_id=1423
----

25.10.2006 - 02:49
SkinChamber
Account deleted
Fantastic news, new album + tour...this news has made me a very happy chappy!!!

I really like the cover, hope they stick with it! It's a very barren and stagnant image, quite fitting.
10.12.2006 - 05:08
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I know him form Jesu and Pelican - "Angel Tears"remix. I think he 's very talented, and Jesu is among my fav. bands. very complex, dense and relaxing, IMO.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
24.12.2006 - 23:28
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.10.2006 at 02:49

Fantastic news, new album + tour...this news has made me a very happy chappy!!!

I really like the cover, hope they stick with it! It's a very barren and stagnant image, quite fitting.

i got a burned copy of Conquerer...its very mellow...in the vein of the silver e.p.....good stuff Medicine is the best song on it.... but The Self titled is still the best though
04.01.2007 - 13:01
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
I'm a HUGE fan of Jesu and Godflesh. Both are excellent bands, and man the atmosohere created in both the bands is overwhelming! As somebody mentioned, Godflesh is like slowed down grind, very nice stuff!

Now Playing: Godflesh - Pure - [Pure] - [01:36 of 05:02]

I'm yet to heard Conqueror though..
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
23.01.2007 - 13:57
sakis
I think that Justin Broadrick is one most talented musicians in the world
I have almost all Godflesh's CDs, Jesu, Techno Animal and Final (all in mp3s )
I'm looking for Jesu single Xnoybis which is cover of Godflesh song if anybody have it....
13.02.2007 - 21:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
an excerpt from an interview on the upcoming release of Jesu' "Conqueror"

Finally, Broadrick has a new experi-metal supergroup, Grey Machine, in the works. So far, only Broadrick's former Head of David bandmate Dave Cochrane is committed, but Broadrick mentioned that Isis' Aaron Turner, as well as "a lot of people that I can't mention" are involved.

"The basics is me running the band, but at the moment the first album is me on drums and layers of guitar. Some of the stuff is born from improvising and jams and some of it is from just layering stuff on multi-tracks. And it's meant to be a real super cathartic release. It's hard to explain, but it's definitely in that area of the much nastier stuff I was doing in the mid-80s. Less friendly and more punky to some extent. It's got elements of bands like Flipper and No Trend.

"Very psychedelic as well, but it's all very un-pretty next to Jesu, which is very pretty."

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/40291/Justin_K_Broadrick_Talks_New_Jesu_Album_Tour

/tenting fingers

Excellent.

Sounds very intriguing.
----

21.02.2007 - 02:09
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
i just bought "Conquerer" after work today....this album is really something...Justin never fails to impress, "Conquerer" certainly gives The Self titled a run for its money...My Favorite right now are "Medicine" and "Transfigure"
21.02.2007 - 23:44
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Picked it up last night myself, only had a chance to listen to it about 1.5 times through - and it was very enthralling.

As JP said, mellow - not a surprise, as it was a direction he started to take in some of the later Godflesh albums - but still a fantastic album.

I don't remember any track names or much of anything, it was on in the background while I was on my PC and fighting off the urge to faceplant on my keyboard. (It's not an indictment of the music - there are some albums that I just LOVE to listen to when walking the fine line between conscious and unconscious. Ulver's "Perdition City" and Neurosis "the Eye of Every Storm" are a couple others).

I just loved it.

I loved how at times is was warm, beautiful, almost frail (some of his vocals), uplifting and inviting - yet still ultimately manages to be dark, dreary, and sinister at the same time.

It will likely occupy my cd player for a long time... I almost feel bad for Red Harvest- their new release was very intriguing, too - but dropped on the same day as "Conqueror"... RH's new effort won't probably get the listens it deserves for another month.
----