Metal Storm logo
Justin Broadrick (Godflesh, jesu, et all)

Original post

Posted by BitterCOld, 19.05.2006 - 23:10
Feel free to discuss Godflesh, jesu, Final, or any of the other Justin Broadrick projects here.

Some helpful/useful links:

http://www.godflesh.com/index.html (Crumbling Flesh - a JB endorsed fan site with TONS of info)
http://justinkbroadrick.blogspot.com/ (Justin's blog site)
21.02.2007 - 23:50
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
I dont like the new Jesu as much as the previous LP, but its still a hell of a lot better than most of the crap that bands make these days. Still, I think the heavy and expressive style of the debut and Heartache was far superior (or it could just be that I have a sentimental attitude towards Godflesh...)
22.02.2007 - 00:13
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 21.02.2007 at 23:50

I dont like the new Jesu as much as the previous LP, but its still a hell of a lot better than most of the crap that bands make these days. Still, I think the heavy and expressive style of the debut and Heartache was far superior (or it could just be that I have a sentimental attitude towards Godflesh...)

give it time...it will grow on you...i had a burnt copy that was leaked for a month....was such a change from the last 3 and didnt know what to think at first...but it snuck up on me..and now i'm having trouble deciding what's better..the self titled or Conquerer.Btw i think the reason you dont like it is because you wont let it stand on its own...but instead compare it to the last albums and Godflesh,which you shouldnt because this is a completely different album.i think its awesome that Justin was able to make an album like "conquerer,where its very dark and grim,but at the same time not the least bit depressing...in fact its very uplifting like Bitter Cold said
22.02.2007 - 01:37
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I think I've been able to divorce jesu from Godflesh which has helped a little bit... but still I credit some of the Godflesh tracks for opening me up to what Justin created in jesu.

Songs like 'Empyreal' ("Selfless"), 'The Internal' ("Us and Them") and 'Regal' ("Hymns") sort of paved the way in my mind. They are a bit more unguarded ... and less crushing than most of Godflesh's songs.

I am glad to see that jesu is similar to Godflesh, yet at the same time different - more optimistic and vulnerable - while still retaining some of the darkness of his prior band.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.02.2007 - 23:43
Bulldozer
Account deleted
A Justin Broadrick thread! How the fuck did I missed it?

I have been a fan of Justin's work for some time now.
I have great respect for him and he deserves it. It's great when a musician is full of ideas and capable of making new and interesting music.

Haven't heard Final yet but I love the sound of Jesu - heavy and melodic, yet not the same as in Godflesh. Basically, it has been said here already.

Can't wait for his next stuff!
26.04.2007 - 21:06
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Elite
I'm really enjoying Conqueror pretty much by the moment... it's the softer album by Jesu, but i dont think there is anything wrong with it... it just another ground, much in the like of postrock, space rock and stuff like...
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
26.04.2007 - 23:14
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Music4TheSpirit on 26.04.2007 at 21:06

I'm really enjoying Conqueror pretty much by the moment... it's the softer album by Jesu, but i dont think there is anything wrong with it... it just another ground, much in the like of postrock, space rock and stuff like...

I don't think "Conqueror" has anything to do with post-rock, but it's certainly a great album... perfectly balanced, ethereal yet rather heavy... one of my favourite releases of the year so far.
07.11.2007 - 02:40
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
"Lifeline" is another good ep from Jesu, is definitely worth checking out if you liked "Silver" or "Conqueror"...
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.02.2008 - 22:47
Kurzag
Account deleted
Bought Conqueror and Lifeline today. I had only heard two or three songs before that. I'm really impressed by the chilling atmosphere Justin Broadrick is manage to create and his vocals some of the best I've heard. Jesu is truly a band I need to buy some more albums from.
13.02.2010 - 01:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Anyone checked out Greymachine? Justin is in as well as Aaron Turner from Isis. Their debut from last year called "Disconnected" is very influenced by Streetcleaner imo, but more noisy.

The artwork is more than enough to gave you an idea about how bleak this music is.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.02.2010 - 05:35
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I will have to look into it.
----

13.02.2010 - 13:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 13.02.2010 at 05:35

Yeah, I think you will like it. It seems like Justin is getting back to his roots or something since the latest Jesu EP also had a "Streetcleaner" vibe and we need more music like that for sure

Edit: Here's a their myspace
The first song seems like a remix or something so it's not the original sound of that song, but the second one is from their debut.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.02.2010 - 00:17
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.02.2010 at 13:07

Written by BitterCOld on 13.02.2010 at 05:35

Yeah, I think you will like it. It seems like Justin is getting back to his roots or something since the latest Jesu EP also had a "Streetcleaner" vibe and we need more music like that for sure

Edit: Here's a their myspace
The first song seems like a remix or something so it's not the original sound of that song, but the second one is from their debut.

fuck it, i just went out and bought it today. haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. will let you know what i think.
----

14.02.2010 - 01:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 14.02.2010 at 00:17

fuck it, i just went out and bought it today. haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. will let you know what i think.

Hahaha well done, I'm buying other stuff so I don't have the money atm but I'll get it asap, it's kind of sad that I discovered just now and not in 2009. Let me know what you think as I'm curious to listen to it like it's meant to be.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.03.2010 - 12:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 14.02.2010 at 00:17

will let you know what i think.

Hi man, I saw your Greymachine pick, what did you think of it? It really does bring up some good old memories of Streetcleaner imo. Glad that you seem to like it, it was a damn fine discovering for 2009 for me. Sad that they couldn't be in the awards
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.03.2010 - 19:03
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.02.2010 at 01:36

Anyone checked out Greymachine? Justin is in as well as Aaron Turner from Isis. Their debut from last year called "Disconnected" is very influenced by Streetcleaner imo, but more noisy.

The involvement of some guy from Isis makes me a bit cautious because I've always gotten the impression that Isis is somekind of made-by-vain-pretentious-people-who want-to-look-smart for vain-pretentious-people-who-want-to-look-smart music, but I'll check it out.
13.03.2010 - 19:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 13.03.2010 at 19:03

The involvement of some guy from Isis makes me a bit cautious because I've always gotten the impression that Isis is somekind of made-by-vain-pretentious-people-who want-to-look-smart for vain-pretentious-people-who-want-to-look-smart music, but I'll check it out.

Well... I can't view this album as pretentious. This is way more in the vein of Godflesh in thir Streetcleaner-era rather than Isis. I'm not really into Isis.
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.03.2010 - 02:51
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I love all his projects, but I sometimes think his contribution to Napalm Death is overlooked, as the first side of Scum is probably the best shit they've done.
21.03.2010 - 13:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Heh, I get the overarching impression that the majority still partly cling to the Streetcleaner days. I've never considered myself a Broadrick enthusiast (more of a Matthew Bower fan personally, the guy who was a direct influence) but Godflesh's first few releases are pretty damn good but as far as Jesu goes the only release I really liked was Silver.
16.06.2010 - 16:21
I simply love Godflesh, I'd love to see them live. Amazing band!

Spotify has only one Jesu album (EP, to be precise) available, but I'm sure every Justin Broadick project is worth listening without any recommendation.
23.04.2012 - 17:52
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Lately I've been wondering, how do you pronounce Jesu? Is it just like Jesus without the "s"?
23.04.2012 - 18:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 23.04.2012 at 17:52

Lately I've been wondering, how do you pronounce Jesu? Is it just like Jesus without the "s"?

I'm pretty sure it's like the english way to say Jesus without the s indeed.
----
Rod, let me love you.
23.04.2012 - 18:30
IronAngel
You know, completely off-topic: et al. is short for et alii (or whatever appropriate gendered form). "All" is an English word, and it means something completely different.

Sorry, had to get that out there! It's almost as infuriating as "per say".
23.04.2012 - 18:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 23.04.2012 at 18:30
You know, completely off-topic: et al. is short for et alii (or whatever appropriate gendered form). "All" is an English word, and it means something completely different. Sorry, had to get that out there! It's almost as infuriation as "per say".

Not sure what inspired this comment, but I agree... when people think "se" is spelled "say" in that sense it bothers me.

Although... you typed "infuriation" instead of "infuriating"!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.04.2012 - 18:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.04.2012 at 18:36

Written by IronAngel on 23.04.2012 at 18:30
You know, completely off-topic: et al. is short for et alii (or whatever appropriate gendered form). "All" is an English word, and it means something completely different. Sorry, had to get that out there! It's almost as infuriation as "per say".

Not sure what inspired this comment, but I agree... when people think "se" is spelled "say" in that sense it bothers me.

Although... you typed "infuriation" instead of "infuriating"!

Man, I just love Muphry's law.
----
Rod, let me love you.
23.04.2012 - 18:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.04.2012 at 18:08

I thought it was more like Jezzoo.

But I could never decide on JEZZoo or jeZOO.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.04.2012 - 18:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.04.2012 at 18:44

Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.04.2012 at 18:08

I thought it was more like Jezzoo.

But I could never decide on JEZZoo or jeZOO.

Huh... this is interesting. Now I have no idea what to call the project so until I get a good and clear answer I will go full mexican and say JOSE.
----
Rod, let me love you.
23.04.2012 - 18:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.04.2012 at 18:46
JOSE.

Featuring JUAN BARBADOS.
----
23.04.2012 - 18:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Hhahahahahah that's clever.
----
Rod, let me love you.
23.04.2012 - 19:08
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Ok. I've always thought of it as JEEZ-OO.

Among friends here we call it "Jesú". It's like a slangy way to pronounce Jesus in Spanish.
23.04.2012 - 19:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 23.04.2012 at 19:08

Ok. I've always thought of it as JEEZ-OO.

Among friends here we call it "Jesú". It's like a slangy way to pronounce Jesus in Spanish.

Hhahahaha I know what you mean (I'm chilean btw). I always called them either as english jesus without the s... or with a regular e sound like in spanish and keep the english J.
----
Rod, let me love you.