Metal Storm logo
The Doors - Keyboardist Ray Manzarek Dies

Ray Manzarek, a founding member and keyboardist of 1960s rock group The Doors, died on Monday at a medical clinic in Germany at age of 74 following a battle with cancer. Manzarek had been seeking treatment in Germany for bile duct cancer. He died at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany, surrounded by his wife and brothers.

"I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek today," The Doors guitarist Robby Krieger said in a statement. "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

Singer Jim Morrison and Manzarek formed The Doors in 1965 after a chance meeting at Los Angeles' Venice Beach, and Manzarek's keyboard work would go on to be a touchstone of hits like "Break On Through To The Other Side" and "Light My Fire."

The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993 and sold more than 100-million albums worldwide. The Doors broke up shortly after Morrison's death in 1971, but their mythology exploded following the 1980 publication of the biography No One Here Gets Out Alive and the 1991 film, The Doors by director Oliver Stone.

After the band's break up, Manzarek released two albums with the rock band Nite City in the late 1970s and six solo albums, most recently Translucent Blues in 2011 with blues-rock guitarist Roy Rogers. Manzarek is also the author of two novels and most notably the 1998 memoir, Light My Fire: My Life with The Doors.

Manzarek is survived by his wife Dorothy, brothers Rick and James Manczarek, son Pablo Manzarek, Pablo's wife Sharmin and their three children Noah, Apollo and Camille.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: The Doors
Posted: 21.05.2013 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 9   Visited by: 63 users
21.05.2013 - 13:22
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Very sad to hear. He really made some wonderful music with The Doors. Love all their albums.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
21.05.2013 - 13:47
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Rest in Peace man. You did great back then.
----
21.05.2013 - 13:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Said to hear a great musician passes away like this even though I never liked anything he put out with The Doors
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.05.2013 - 14:59
Sleestak

I got to see him perform about 2 years ago with Robby. I was really saddened last night to hear this yesterday as the Doors music has been integral to my life.
21.05.2013 - 18:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.05.2013 at 13:49

Said to hear a great musician passes away like this even though I never liked anything he put out with The Doors

Better his keys whit The Doors then some modern prog and femake fronted bands who use keys and muisc sucks big time, even Doors wa snot metel and I anjouy some songs ... and his player skills was exelent
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.05.2013 - 18:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.05.2013 at 13:49

Better his keys whit The Doors then some modern prog and femake fronted bands who use keys and muisc sucks big time, even Doors wa snot metel and I anjouy some songs ... and his player skills was exelent
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.05.2013 - 18:33
Diverge

His performances on The Soft Parade are marvels. He will be dearly missed.
21.05.2013 - 22:16
Byners

What's wrong with 2013?
----
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost..."
22.05.2013 - 01:05
Chidder

I'm shocked. I saw him performing live with Robbie Krieger a year ago during Legends of Rock Festival in Poland. Also Trevor Bolder from Uriah Heep dies today. He also played during last year's LoRF :/

Hits total: 2824 | This month: 3