04. Little Each Day
05. Prisoner
06. War Inside My Head
07. I Feel Your Pain
08. Human Guinea Pig
09. Possessed To Skate
10. No Name, No Words
11. Cyco
12. Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right (But They Make Me Feel A Whole Lot Better)
13. Looking In Your Eyes

Join The Army is Suicidal Tendencies' second official album and this is when they started to drift from their hardcore punk roots that was on their debut album Suicidal Tendencies, to a more thrash sound. Punk fans of the band started to worry if they were about to dump the punk, but with Join The Army we get a little of both thrash and punk, which is crossover thrash. Join The Army may be one of the most pivotal points in the crossover thrash genre.

Suicidal Tendencies opens the album with "Suicidal Maniac" which sets the tone for Join The Army. Each song on the record still has the intensity of the hardcore punk but you can definitely tell that Suicidal Tendencies were growing as musicians. Vocalist Mike Muir changed his vocal direction using different techniques and range. Join The Army was the first Suicidal Tendencies record to reach the Billboard top 200 at #100 and the song "Possessed To Skate" had a music video and is a classic for fans of old school skateboarding and hardcore punk. Songs such as "I Feel Your Pain" and "Human Guinea Pig" are more along the lines of the band's hardcore punk influence, but you cannot deny the definite influence of thrash metal into their music. This is helped with the addition of guitarist Rocky George whose thrash influences are apparent as every song is filled with gnarly solos and thrashier riffs.

While some fans of the bad were worried that Suicidal Tendencies were going to leave behind their hardcore punk roots, there is no denying that Join The Army is perhaps the most important and influential album in the crossover thrash genre. While others say that D.R.I.'s Crossover is the go to album for the creation for crossover thrash, I personally believe it lies within Suicidal Tendencies' Join The Army

My personal favorite songs: "Possessed To Skate", "I Feel Your Pain" and "War Inside My Head".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written by | 23.05.2013

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 52 users
23.05.2013 - 22:33
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
So apparently, I messed up on doing the album name right, that's why you see those [i] things by em. Other than that enjoy my review.
23.05.2013 - 22:50
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
"there is no denying ... ... is perhaps the most important and influential album in the crossover thrash genre"

there is plenty of denying. i think you overrate it horribly. it's decent, but lacks the reckless fury of their self-titled debut as well as the precision and emotion of their next couple thrash releases.

i do not recall either my punk friends not metal friends being particularly enamored with this back in the day...

i own(ed) the first five or so ST albums and the remake of their debut... and this is the only one i never bothered to pick up on disk.

as a side note, before you submit a review, copy paste the thing into a personal message to yourself... you'll be able to see if you've done all the coding properly or it's a big clusterfuck.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.05.2013 - 01:35
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 23.05.2013 at 22:50

"there is no denying ... ... is perhaps the most important and influential album in the crossover thrash genre"

there is plenty of denying. i think you overrate it horribly. it's decent, but lacks the reckless fury of their self-titled debut as well as the precision and emotion of their next couple thrash releases.

i do not recall either my punk friends not metal friends being particularly enamored with this back in the day...

i own(ed) the first five or so ST albums and the remake of their debut... and this is the only one i never bothered to pick up on disk.

as a side note, before you submit a review, copy paste the thing into a personal message to yourself... you'll be able to see if you've done all the coding properly or it's a big clusterfuck.

Everyone has their favorite band, and mine is obviously Suicidal Tendencies, and obviously I wasn't alive when this came out, but I know some people who were. I also wrote another review for their next album, which judging by what you said on this one, you'll probably just call me a dumb Suicidal fan boy who thinks he knows stuff but doesn't. Maybe I am just some dumb Suicidal fan boy, but I'm entitled to my opinions, and my opinion is that Suicidal Tendencies is one of the greatest bands of all time, and I haven't heard anything from them that I didn't like. Of course you're entitled to your own opinions as well, and I'll respect that.
24.05.2013 - 03:56
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 24.05.2013 at 01:35

Everyone has their favorite band, and mine is obviously Suicidal Tendencies, and obviously I wasn't alive when this came out, but I know some people who were. I also wrote another review for their next album, which judging by what you said on this one, you'll probably just call me a dumb Suicidal fan boy who thinks he knows stuff but doesn't. Maybe I am just some dumb Suicidal fan boy, but I'm entitled to my opinions, and my opinion is that Suicidal Tendencies is one of the greatest bands of all time, and I haven't heard anything from them that I didn't like. Of course you're entitled to your own opinions as well, and I'll respect that.

obviously you are entitled to an obvious opinion, sure. obviously.

"I like this album" is an opinion, as surely as my "I THINK you overrate this horribly" is mine.

i still think you horribly overrated the significance of this album. but hey, what do i know? it wasn't like i was listening to ST almost daily back when this came out...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.05.2013 - 14:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
This one wasn't that influential and important for the crossover thrash genre at all. S.O.D.'s SPeak English Or Die, which predates this one by 2 years and D.R.I.'s Crossover (released two months prior to Join The Army) were way more important for the crossover thrash genre.
Like Craig said neither punks nor metallers were particularly enamored with this back in the day. Maybe one or two were but the vast majority weren't at all.

Of the first five full-lengths (discounting Controlled By Hatred/Feel Like Shit, since that was just a stop gap e.p) Join The Amry is by far their weakest and most inconsistent album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.05.2013 - 14:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
How the hell did this get through proofreading?
24.05.2013 - 14:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 24.05.2013 at 14:32

How the hell did this get through proofreading?

I am wondering the same thing. Tagging all over the place, a coupel of typos still in it. Who proofread it?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.05.2013 - 18:34
D.T. Metal

Written by Guest on 23.05.2013 at 22:33

So apparently, I messed up on doing the album name right, that's why you see those [i] things by em. Other than that enjoy my review.

First off, nothing wrong with your review - but you HAVE to make sure tag all the tags are in the right place - look forward to it being edited NOW.
24.05.2013 - 20:05
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Yeah I got a notification saying it had been proofread and edited, so I just clicked submit. Next time I'll be more careful.

Hits total: 4413 | This month: 9