11 - Slaves Shall Serve
    12 - Chant For ΕΣΧΗΑΤΟΝ 2000
    13 - 23 (The Youth Manifesto)
    14 - Lucifer
02. The Satanist: Oblivion

Top 20 albums of 2014: 3

Additional info
Deluxe box set includes:
  • Black 10" boxset (with gold hot foil & UV gloss lamination).
  • CD/DVD digibook in silver mirror slipcase (44 page booklet).
  • Supersize posterflag (approx 3x5 feet).
  • Black wooden inverted rosary cross.
  • Metal pin.
  • Black communion waffles in black envelope.

Produced by Behemoth.
    Co-produced by Wojtek and Sławek Wiesławscy and Daniel Bergstrand.
    Engineered by Wojtek and Sławek Wiesławscy.
    Drum tech by Urban Näsvall.
    Recorded at Hertz Studio by Wojtek and Sławek Wiesławscy, February-June 2013 e.v.
    Additional recording at Dug-Out, Radio Gdańsk, Sounsgreat Studio.
    Mixed by Matt Hyde at Hideaway Studio, Los Angeles, August-September 2013 e.v.
    Mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, New York, September-October 2013 e.v.

All art and calligraphy by Denis Forkas.

The excerpt from Witold Gombrowicz's 'Ślub' in the song 'In The Abscence Ov Light' used with the kind permission of Rita Gombrowicz.

• Staff review by
    wormdrink414
    Rating:
    Not too many bands could throw a spoken-word, Kenny G sax muzak thing into the middle of a song called "In The Absence Ov Light" and not get laughed away into obscurity. Behemoth can get away with shit like that. They're just too cool to be dismissed. They sound cool and, with a theatrical sense that rivals well over half a Lady Gaga, they LOOK cool. I mean, I'm not gay, but I'd let Nergal and Orion double team me if they still want to.

Read more ››
    published 12.02.2014 | Comments (215)

Guest review by
    flightoficarus
    Rating:
    What's my favorite scary movie? The Shining. With its subtle, psychological terror and slow-build that only Kubrick can pull off, it's a masterpiece. Sure, I get down with the gore-ridden creature features too. Everything from Evil Dead to Friday the 13th is cool in my book. Why is this relevant? Aliens. Okay, now you are more confused. Let me elaborate further. I think a lot of long-time fans come to a Behemoth album expecting a certain level of violence. Demigod, Thelema.6, Zos Kia Cultus; these classics are the "Aliens" of the Behemoth discography. Explosions, flame-throwers, disembowelment, "Game over man, game over!" I'm right with you, popcorn ready. The Satanist, on the other hand, is "Alien." Swarms of xenomorphs are replaced with a single, lurking threat in the shadows. The emphasis is on tension as each innocent is picked off one by one and dragged to their grim (and unseen) demise. While both styles are equally valid, I find the imagination to be a far darker place than anything directly fed to my senses.

Read more ››
    published 09.02.2015 | Comments (42)

Starting with Demigod, Behemoth's albums became more and more soulless. Faster, more brutal, better produced, but devoid of feelings. But no more. This one is spontaneous, wild, unhinged and unpredictable. It has more music than brutality, more feeling than calculation. A fantastic treat.

Daniell's picks | More picks ››

Found in 111 lists
    Top lists

Comments page 8 / 10

Comments: 278   Visited by: 2430 users
    20.02.2014 - 20:47
    Rating: 7
    Hex_Omega
    Gem Seeker
    Written by Guest on 12.02.2014 at 21:51

Written by Hex_Omega on 12.02.2014 at 21:50

not 8.9 (fortunately )

Down to 8.8 now

8.6, we are winning
    21.02.2014 - 01:34
    Rating: 10
    infernaldeath87
    I seriously cannot see how someone can give this album less than a 7...
    24.02.2014 - 05:51
    Rating: 9
    Unhealer
    Eclecticist
    Well, this is definitely my new favorite Behemoth album.
    What attracts me of this album more than others is that each song has it's own strong identity. While on all the other albums I checked the listen tends to become homogeneous and tiring at several stages, on this one each song has it's own weapon to regain my attention minute after minute.
    Other remarkable points are the dialed-up bass sound (I think it never has been so present in the mix), the production in general (guitar tone for the solos is damn tasty) and the orchestration, choirs, brass, sax, etc. that was used to decorate the songs was really effective and refreshing.
    24.02.2014 - 11:39
    Ace Frawley
    The Spaceman
    Written by Unhealer on 24.02.2014 at 05:51

Well, this is definitely my new favorite Behemoth album.
    What attracts me of this album more than others is that each song has it's own strong identity. While on all the other albums I checked the listen tends to become homogeneous and tiring at several stages, on this one each song has it's own weapon to regain my attention minute after minute.
    Other remarkable points are the dialed-up bass sound (I think it never has been so present in the mix), the production in general (guitar tone for the solos is damn tasty) and the orchestration, choirs, brass, sax, etc. that was used to decorate the songs was really effective and refreshing.

I can't comment on how it compares to other Behemoth albums because this is the only one I've got, but agree with all your other points. Another thing that attracts me to this album is that I'm discovering a different song as being my favourite every few days. Initially I liked the opening track, then "Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer" became my favourite, then it was "Amen" and now it's "Ben Sahar".
    ----
    The sun shines over The Fool...
    26.02.2014 - 04:07
    Boring! all the songs are the same pretentious trite of doing black satanist focus metal. Also ,the lyrics are very dumb and repetitive, seems like and teenager metalhead with culture and personal problems wrotte it. the only song I enjoyed was the first. 2/10.
    28.02.2014 - 16:54
    NocturnalStalker
    Metal Addict
    Just listened to this album for the first time and... It sounds odd. I guess, I'll need some more listens to make up my mind about this record.
    ----
    "And we are not who we think we are
    We are who we're afraid to be"
    - Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
    03.03.2014 - 11:58
    Ace Frawley
    The Spaceman
    I just increased my rating of this album to 9, as every time I listen to it I just enjoy it more and more. I'd be keen to hear from those who rate it as average, or below, to suggest some albums in the same sub-genre that they think are superior. I'm not being a smart-&rse about that, I'm genuinely interested. You can send me a PM if you prefer, rather than post to this thread.
    ----
    10.03.2014 - 19:38
    pkillerjp
    Haven't heard it enough to rate it yet, but so far my impressions are it's far better than Evangelion, which everyone loved but put me to sleep. It seems to have enough atmosphere and accessibility to have the long term appeal of a Demigod to most of their fans. (I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of this band, although I admit, they always keep me curious with new releases )
    13.03.2014 - 18:53
    pkillerjp
    Upon further review- it's a grower and a strong 9.
    27.03.2014 - 10:25
    Rating: 8
    Deadmeat
    Necrobutcher
    I just started listening to this album.... it seems really average, cant find great moments on it yet. i just find it hard to believe that it tends to have a greater rating than Zos Kia Cultus which is probably THE masterpiece of this band...
    ----
    Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
    27.03.2014 - 10:51
    psykometal
    A staff guy...
    Elite
    Written by Deadmeat on 27.03.2014 at 10:25

I just started listening to this album.... it seems really average, cant find great moments on it yet. i just find it hard to believe that it tends to have a greater rating than Zos Kia Cultus which is probably THE masterpiece of this band...

It has a higher rating partially because it's new, so there's a lot of people upvoting it to keep it high in the 2014 MS Charts. God only knows how many of those 300+ accounts are ghost accounts created for the sole purpose of manipulating the Charts. Sad show effect of popularity contests.
    ----
    ~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

27.03.2014 - 11:56
    Rating: 8
    Deadmeat
    Necrobutcher
    Written by psykometal on 27.03.2014 at 10:51

Written by Deadmeat on 27.03.2014 at 10:25

It has a higher rating partially because it's new, so there's a lot of people upvoting it to keep it high in the 2014 MS Charts. God only knows how many of those 300+ accounts are ghost accounts created for the sole purpose of manipulating the Charts. Sad show effect of popularity contests.

well of course i know that... i guess it's gonna take a long time till the rating drops to 8,3 or 8,2 and i am not sure if this is going to happen. and this is realy unfair for their really great albums (which have a low rating btw)
    ----
    Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
    06.04.2014 - 02:47
    Rating: 10
    Ornusashas
    This album is a perfect mix of classic Behemoth emotion and new Behemoth atmosphere and composition. Never have I heard Inferno rock out as hard as Frost. And never have I heard Nergal communicate his message so powerfully. Well done.
    ----
    Need to make a living somehow... http://creamandpowder.com/
    09.04.2014 - 23:13
    Lethrokai
    Written by psykometal on 27.03.2014 at 10:51

At least it's not as bad as the people who decide that giving their favourite album a 10 isn't enough, and end up giving every other album near it on the charts a low score.
    ----
    Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
    10.04.2014 - 00:02
    psykometal
    A staff guy...
    Elite
    Written by Lethrokai on 09.04.2014 at 23:13

At least it's not as bad as the people who decide that giving their favourite album a 10 isn't enough, and end up giving every other album near it on the charts a low score.

Oh, I'm sure there's plenty of that going on. How else do you think it's constantly bouncing in and out of the #1 spot...
    ----
    ~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

15.04.2014 - 13:20
    God Alone
    The hype is already deflating, I think. Still a pretty solid album, just usual Behemoth. Glad to see Nergal back in shape.
    15.04.2014 - 13:39
    Ace Frawley
    The Spaceman
    Totally in love with Inferno's drumming on this album. Great stuff.
    ----
    24.04.2014 - 19:04
    Dr. Strawberry
    Naming a black metal album The Satanist is like naming your penis - "willy".
    04.05.2014 - 17:38
    NocturnalStalker
    Metal Addict
    After giving this album a lot more listens I changed my opinion. I must confess I positively love it! It feels like Nergal had put all the negative energy he'd stored up in the time of his sickness and unleashed it in the form of this sonic Inferno.
    Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer and The Satanist are now two of my favourite Behemoth tracks ever. As for the other songs - I think they are also quite good, to say the least.
    ----
    05.05.2014 - 05:47
    Ace Frawley
    The Spaceman
    Written by NocturnalStalker on 04.05.2014 at 17:38

After giving this album a lot more listens I changed my opinion. I must confess I positively love it! It feels like Nergal had put all the negative energy he'd stored up in the time of his sickness and unleashed it in the form of this sonic Inferno.
    Ora Pro Nobis Lucifer and The Satanist are now two of my favourite Behemoth tracks ever. As for the other songs - I think they are also quite good, to say the least.

I suspect some people didn't give this album a chance. Just one listen or two is not enough to fully appreciate it. I know some people on here might jump down my throat for saying that but I believe it to be true for most people. It takes time, i.e. repeated listens, to fully appreciate something as good as this. If you can like or dislike an album or song from the beginning, then you are probably listening to bubblegum pop music.
    ----
    05.05.2014 - 18:36
    NocturnalStalker
    Metal Addict
    Written by Ace Frawley on 05.05.2014 at 05:47

I suspect some people didn't give this album a chance. Just one listen or two is not enough to fully appreciate it. I know some people on here might jump down my throat for saying that but I believe it to be true for most people. It takes time, i.e. repeated listens, to fully appreciate something as good as this. If you can like or dislike an album or song from the beginning, then you are probably listening to bubblegum pop music.

I couldn't possibly agree more with you on this...
    ----
    06.05.2014 - 01:39
    !J.O.O.E.!
    Account deleted
    The "oh but people didn't give it enough listens to be able to fully understand it" argument is really one of the most tired and moot arguments on here one listen is enough to know whether or not one can like something, especially something like this which is hardly rocket surgery. Familiarity does not always equal increased quality.
    06.05.2014 - 05:26
    Ace Frawley
    The Spaceman
    Written by Guest on 06.05.2014 at 01:39

The "oh but people didn't give it enough listens to be able to fully understand it" argument is really one of the most tired and moot arguments on here one listen is enough to know whether or not one can like something, especially something like this which is hardly rocket surgery. Familiarity does not always equal increased quality.

Each to their own then, but I asked a while back for some people to give me other bands or albums in this same sub-genre that they would rate a lot higher, so I can have a listen. I'm not being smart about this - I'm being genuine in that if someone like you rates this a 5 and is a fan of this style of music, then I'd love to hear something you rate a 8, 9 or 10. You can send me suggestions privately if you like.
    ----
    06.05.2014 - 05:26
    Ace Frawley
    The Spaceman
    Written by Guest on 06.05.2014 at 01:39

Each to their own then, but I asked a while back for some people to give me other bands or albums in this same sub-genre that they would rate a lot higher, so I can have a listen. I'm not being smart about this - I'm being genuine in that if someone like you rates this a 5 and is a fan of this style of music, then I'd love to hear something you rate a 8, 9 or 10. You can send me suggestions privately if you like.
    ----
    06.05.2014 - 06:06
    Unhealer
    Eclecticist
    Written by Ace Frawley on 05.05.2014 at 05:47

I get you, but with one listen you can determine at least whether you *could* like it or not. It happened to me that I listened to an album/band and didn't like it, but something made me suspect it deserved more listens and only because of that it's that I did and ended up liking it.
    But you know, if I put a Justin Bieber album I'll know after a couple of songs I'm not going to like it and that won't change even if I listen to it five more times.

It also happens that you are not in a point where you can enjoy the music yet and trying after a few years may be rewarding
    06.05.2014 - 06:29
    Lit.
    Account deleted
    Written by Ace Frawley on 06.05.2014 at 05:26

Each to their own then,

That argument's even worse.
    06.05.2014 - 13:21
    !J.O.O.E.!
    Account deleted

Well my issue with the album is that I found it to be a very floaty, aimless style of playing that felt like it wasn't being backed up enough by clever and memorable song writing, so for specific examples it would be hard to say. Just the general modern black metal market really. Deathspell Omega, Svart Crown, even Watain etc. I found quite a lot of that dissonant, avant-garde-esque riffing here which is something I usually like but in this instance it felt very forcefully inserted. I kind of wish it did sound like something else more specifically instead of an amalgamation of lots of different bands I enjoy. It's not like I'm picking on Behemoth for their name though, there's been quite a few bands that have tried to be clever and have failed in my eyes, such as Dodecahedron or this year's Murmur. Technically impressive but ultimately not memorable or musical to my ears, or sometimes even downright cold and sterile that doesn't resonate with me at all.
    06.05.2014 - 22:49
    Ace Frawley
    The Spaceman
    Written by Guest on 06.05.2014 at 06:29

Each to their own then,

That argument's even worse.

It's not an argumant, dickwad, it's just conceding that people are different.
    ----
    06.05.2014 - 23:00
    Lit.
    Account deleted
    Written by Ace Frawley on 06.05.2014 at 22:49

It's not an argument, dickwad, it's just conceding that people are different.

Yes it most certainly is, and it sure as hell doesn't need to be brought every time someone likes an album other people hate. It makes you sound pretentious.

And don't reduce this argument to your petty levels by name-calling. What are you, 12?
    07.05.2014 - 06:55
    Ace Frawley
    The Spaceman
    Written by Guest on 06.05.2014 at 23:00

Written by Ace Frawley on 06.05.2014 at 22:49

It's not an argument, dickwad, it's just conceding that people are different.

Yes it most certainly is, and it sure as hell doesn't need to be brought every time someone likes an album other people hate. It makes you sound pretentious.

And don't reduce this argument to your petty levels by name-calling. What are you, 12?

Yeah, fair point there, I shouldn't have stooped to name-calling. Sorry about that. Got out on the wrong side of the bed, I think, but no excuse. But on the point about the argument of saying "each to their own" making one sound pretentious, that's not something I really understand. For me, it's a concession that it's not really worth arguing the point about something and just let the differences be accepted.
    ----

Hits total: 54818 | This month: 106