Metal Storm logo
Unofficial sources for database edits

Original post

Posted by psykometal, 12.06.2013 - 10:17
It's been mentioned/discussed many times, all over Metal Storm, that unofficial sources are not acceptable when submitting/accepting edits to the band database. Yet I am still seeing several submissions/acceptances where sites like Metal Archives (of all sites!) and Wikipedia are still being used and accepted as the source for submissions/edits in Metal Storm's database. This needs to stop NOW!

Admittedly sites like Metal Archives and Wikipedia are great places for finding a starting point such as images, official site links or general album info. But even that info still needs to be verified using official sources to verify that what you "found" there is correct. If you can't verify all the info through the band's official sites then you can start turning to some alternative options. You can try checking the band's label site(s). In the case of albums, look them up on sites like Bandcamp, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, etc.. You can try doing Google searches for news articles on sites like Blabbermouth, Metal Sucks, Metal Injection, Metal Underground, Brave Words/Bloody Knuckles, etc.. You can also try Google searching for band interviews.

It should be common knowledge by now, especially to people who have "earned" the permissions to submit edits without a Staff-check and those who can also accept other user's submissions, that places like MA have a tendency to be grossly inaccurate and loaded with bad info. So STOP submitting/accepting information with sites like MA or Wikipedia as the source! Otherwise I might decide to take away your ability to edit anything unchecked for a determinate amount of time.

Some very well known, AND UNACCEPTABLE, unofficial sites:
AllMusic
last.fm
Metal Archives
Metal Kingdom
Rate Your Music
Spirit Of Metal (which is practically a copy/paste of MA anyway)
Wikipedia
mikseri.net

One of the pride and joys that I and many others, before and alongside me, have had through the years is the pleasure of shaping Metal Storm's database into something different and unique instead of just a copy/paste of sites like Metal Archives and Wikipedia. We are vastly different and far more accurate and complete than Metal Archives or Wikipedia will ever be because we only submit/accept properly verified information. Each and every one of our Database Chiefs (myself included), and several other Staff and many of our Contributors, Elites, and Users have gone to great lengths to ensure that we are not just a copy/paste of Metal Archives and Wikipedia.

So please, help me and the rest of the Metal Storm Staff keep this database the most awesome, unique and accurate database for Metal (and related) music on the internet!
27.07.2013 - 01:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Paz on 27.07.2013 at 01:03

I lost my desire in helping you in this area by all these requirements. From today I announce the end of cooperation. Find yourself another fool.

so you wanna say better is like fake or untruth sourve then follow up rules what happen if you try to get a job and decide ehh lets skip this , house will not colapse ... and well it will
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.07.2013 - 01:24
Paz

Written by Bad English on 27.07.2013 at 01:21

so you wanna say better is like fake or untruth sourve then follow up rules what happen if you try to get a job and decide ehh lets skip this , house will not colapse ... and well it will

At work they will pay me
27.07.2013 - 01:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Paz on 27.07.2013 at 01:24

At work they will pay me

nobody ask you do addit it is walontiering
----

apos;'
[image]
27.07.2013 - 02:21
psykometal
A staff guy...

I lost my desire in helping you in this area by all these requirements. From today I announce the end of cooperation. Find yourself another fool.

Nothing in this forum is a new change/expectation to editing procedures, these rules/expectations have existed for many, many years. I have just decided to take the time to actually write them out in a more detailed forum post.

If this has made you want to cease contributing to MS then maybe you shouldn't have been contributing to begin with since I am not asking/requiring/expecting anything different of you (or anybody else) than what's already been expected of you (and everybody else) from the very moment you decided to begin contributing to the Metal Storm database.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

27.07.2013 - 14:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Paz on 27.07.2013 at 01:24

At work they will pay me

not if you don't do your work accordingly
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.07.2013 - 15:02
Paz

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.07.2013 at 14:33

not if you don't do your work accordingly

Awareness of payment (shitty but always) force me to stick to the rules and my family has something to eat.
28.07.2013 - 01:16
Góral
Combo Breaker

I fully understand. All of these actions as adding/editing albums/lyric/lineup etc., and above all - the addition of new bands, are too complicated. We're drowning in these procedures and requirements - and that is the main reason of slow development imo (let's face it - MS's database is pathetically small). I understand that is the need to ensure the quality of information, reliable sources etc. But all this rules.. Gosh, that's hyperbole. You can become discouraged. The credibility of the source - yes. Complicated changes/editions and updates - no.
28.07.2013 - 02:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Góral on 28.07.2013 at 01:16

I fully understand. All of these actions as adding/editing albums/lyric/lineup etc., and above all - the addition of new bands, are too complicated. We're drowning in these procedures and requirements - and that is the main reason of slow development imo (let's face it - MS's database is pathetically small). I understand that is the need to ensure the quality of information, reliable sources etc. But all this rules.. Gosh, that's hyperbole. You can become discouraged. The credibility of the source - yes. Complicated changes/editions and updates - no.

MS datebase is good (even I dislike djent, prog, nu modern metal) but MS darebase is pretty good and its better then othersites , there huge errors and big mess in MS datebase, because many users submit all wrong, there planty dublications whit mussiacns, because many ppl submit whit out searching, there planty All English Song Titles Must Be Capitalized and also wrong codes violations,

I did Husqvarn eddit, I read official bio + use my own knowladge, MA and wiki line up was one big mess,

Is it hard to read a bio, do it in propher way no it isnt,

Well but what I can say if ppl dont like football and football rules, they can go play basketball and addopt basketball rules

bTW if in football would be like you ask, non follow damn rules, it will be broken bnes and legs in th pitch
----

apos;'
[image]
28.07.2013 - 08:08
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Góral on 28.07.2013 at 01:16

Just like I quoted Pazdzioch before, these expectations are NOT NEW and they are NOT CHANGES to the expectations that have already been in place for MANY YEARS now. Your problem (and maybe Pazdzioch's) is that you never bothered to learn the rules about how to do adds/edits the proper way to begin with, so now that I have actually taken the time to type up a forum post outlining the ALREADY IN PLACE expectations, you think I have made changes and increased the expectations of you as an MS contributor. But in all reality I have made ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGES to the years old expectations and higher standards that MS expects from it's contributors, and has expected of it's contributors for years, above the expectations of our competitors. All I have done is taken the time to actually outline those expectations in one clear, concise forum post for you guys to read and understand.

Maybe if you had taken the time to read our FAQ section about contributions, and the "Notes on editing" that are at the BOTTOM of EVERY edit screen, you would have known the expectations from the very beginning and none of this would feel like such a "drastic change" to you, or Pazdzioch...
----

28.07.2013 - 12:29
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Bad English on 28.07.2013 at 02:28

MS datebase is good (even I dislike djent, prog, nu modern metal) but MS darebase is pretty good and its better then othersites

I didn't say that it's bad, I said that MS darebase is pathetically small.
28.07.2013 - 12:30
Góral
Combo Breaker

there huge errors and big mess in MS datebase, because many users submit all wrong, there planty dublications whit mussiacns, because many ppl submit whit out searching, there planty All English Song Titles Must Be Capitalized and also wrong codes violations,

I did Husqvarn eddit, I read official bio + use my own knowladge, MA and wiki line up was one big mess,

Ok, agreed, there is a whole mass of errors and FAQ need to read carefully. But I don't get one thing. If you see mistakes, why you accept it? All the more that "these expectations are NOT NEW and they are NOT CHANGES to the expectations that have already been in place for MANY YEARS now". I also used MA as a source from the start, and everything was fine. It's a mystery for me.
28.07.2013 - 12:31
Paz

Written by psykometal on 28.07.2013 at 08:08

...you never bothered to learn the rules about how to do adds/edits the proper way to begin with...

So ban my permissions if I didn't adhered to the rules (I know tracklist code and all shit). My only sin is MA - my mostly used source. Back in the days, there were no problems with using it (staff members/elites accepted without stuttering)*. Apparently they didn't know the rules, just as we... It was the easiest and fastest source of information for me. Nowadays I don't have time to look for somewhere else on the net. So:

no MA ---> no Pazdzioch here

* You learned a bad job and now you want to change it? The law isn't retroactive.
28.07.2013 - 12:47
Paz

Written by Góral on 28.07.2013 at 12:29

I didn't say that it's bad, I said that MS darebase is pathetically small.

Yeah, even Sputnik has some of the best this year's rookies efforts by Bölzer, Entropia [PL], Sacriphyx and many, many more... MS (supposedly) you're supporting young/damn promising bands?
28.07.2013 - 12:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Paz on 28.07.2013 at 12:31

MA is full of mistakes and seems to be getting even worse. Loads of bootlegs are mentioned there, plus loads of demos that never were demos. F.e. they used to have a whole of of Metallica demos when Metallica in fact only has two demos, which both were released before Kill ' Em All, namely the Power Metal demo and No Life ' Till Leather demo. For years they also featured demos by Bathory and Celtic Frost when in fact both bands have never ever released a demo at all.

I sill see a mistake in their Faal previous members line-up where it says that Harrie played Bass from 2005-2007 when in fact het played bass from 2009-2010 and the guy's properly spelled name is Harry. It also says that William is on vocals from 2005- currently when in fact he joined when original vocalist Jan left in 2009. And even though the band started out in 2005 they never had a vocalist until Jan joined them early 2008. Their first ever live gig was even in Summer 2008.

These are just a couple of mistakes that used to be on MA and concerning Faal, which still are on MA. So MA is NOT A GOOD SOURCE.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.07.2013 - 12:55
Paz

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2013 at 12:47

So MA is NOT A GOOD SOURCE.

...so I'm not helping in editing anymore, as I said before
28.07.2013 - 13:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Góral on 28.07.2013 at 12:29

I said that MS darebase is pathetically small.

currently 7866 bands in the database, you call that pathetically small? If I might ask of how many bands do you own music? I am sure it is way less than 7866. As for sites with band databases, I would dare say only MA has more bands. But then again they are primarily a database whereas MS is primarily a webzine.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.07.2013 - 13:21
Paz

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2013 at 13:15

currently 7866 bands in the database

'pathetically small' when it comes to fresh bands I think...
28.07.2013 - 13:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Goral - 98% I never accept album error, there might be errors, like I dudnt see, shit happens, but and even if I do accept like accidently and after accepting I look like it looks, I eddit it
If user is newbuy I correct his mistataces(only if its small, not like whole album track list is fucked up) , if he/she do it again, I reject fiev times and if it still continues I PM to psyko to deal whit it

BTW many ppl whit perms self earned do it wrong ... imo we need make higher com points to user get it

I rejected many of your eddits, also, and also explained why

Those rules where here many years .... when Baraley , Ivan, Collin(DeadSoulMan) , Jeff , Anqelique and other staffers in beggining did accept mine million of eddits, many times theyr ejected me I was pissed, but then I re add for new.....
same was when thyrice did accept, I never have deal whit Troy but I have seen logos, he reject many shit eddits
All staff (whit out Marcel, he didnt eddit new megadeath album when there was Thin Lizzy cover, but he mentioned it in tread, so I did it :p ) do almost all eddit propherly, self earned perms, IMO Array do it good, rest , well I know some who still make errors, I info psyko about those, but like other said those rules was here long time

About MS datebase, MS dont try reach MA , also sfatt once said it to

As far I, I always follow code list and caps, covers, bonus, rer elises and other kind of rules what ms aquares

I am not perfect but I try
----

apos;'
[image]
28.07.2013 - 13:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Pazdzioch - about MA, when I deal whit MA; source, I do google it, home pages, facebooks, even wiki if there references, home pages, amazon whatever, lable
I have rejected some MA; but if it officiay exist I accept and give link where it is

example. retard wrote reviev ------- Chuck Shuldiner a famose death metal guitarist died from aids
.... a deadspel omega former bm band now plays orthodox bm, seems band turns religuse (orthodo christianity)

MA has big fuck up error, because user like you submit, eddit thinks whit out staff check, so like I told Huskvarn band line up, years was big mess I read official facebook bio , + own knoladge and fix errors here at MS

and when I do whit some eddits (like edditing band what I like) if band is more less underground, not bussy, I wrote at facebook, band mussican PM and ask if line up is OK or no, like I dud Spitfire when I hade personal contact whit Nikos
----

apos;'
[image]
28.07.2013 - 14:33
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.07.2013 at 13:15

currently 7866 bands in the database, you call that pathetically small? If I might ask of how many bands do you own music? I am sure it is way less than 7866. As for sites with band databases, I would dare say only MA has more bands. But then again they are primarily a database whereas MS is primarily a webzine.

For my needs is not enough. Particularly, with regard to novelty. To search for lesser-known bands I must ask for help in other sites - such as the already mentioned sputnikmusic, rateyourmusic, metalunderground , or just metal-archives. And it isn't about numbers, but about quick response time to new ideas, new bands/albums. On MS sometimes you must wait a few years, to eventually add your proposal. But I don't want to hate, it isn't the point. I just want to note for excessive bureaucracy/complication. But I see that we're trying to put more quality rather than quantity. But it would be great to have a both.
28.07.2013 - 14:42
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Paz on 28.07.2013 at 12:31

So ban my permissions if I didn't adhered to the rules (I know tracklist code and all shit).

I never banned your permissions because it was never brought to my attention that you were submitting info incorrectly. I could take them away from you if that is what you are requesting though. I took away Goral's self earned because it was brought to my attention that he submitted a lot of albums that are full of mistakes, and I told him what he needs to do to get those permissions back. It's a fairly simple task to LEARN THE PROPER RULES, so I fail to see what the problem is...

Quote:
My only sin is MA - my mostly used source. Back in the days, there were no problems with using it (staff members/elites accepted without stuttering)*. Apparently they didn't know the rules, just as we... It was the easiest and fastest source of information for me. Nowadays I don't have time to look for somewhere else on the net. So:

If you want to quit editing because you are JUST NOW learning that MA is NOT AN OFFICIAL SOURCE then fine, go ahead and stop editing. I, and many other Staff and users who actually want MS's database to be better than MA's (quality over quantity), will not miss your input.

Quote:
* You learned a bad job and now you want to change it? The law isn't retroactive.

Maybe real world laws aren't retroactive, but that's the kool thing about website laws...they are if the site Staff chooses them to be. It's called site moderation, which doesn't only exist in the forums, but extends to any and every part of this site, and any other site that has any kind of moderation team.
----

28.07.2013 - 14:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 28.07.2013 at 14:42

, but extends to any and every part of this site, and any other site that has any kind of moderation team.

IN MA alsoa re moderators, I was warned by Brazilian dude, because I add metalstorm links at band profiles
----

apos;'
[image]
28.07.2013 - 14:53
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Góral on 28.07.2013 at 14:33

For my needs is not enough. Particularly, with regard to novelty. To search for lesser-known bands I must ask for help in other sites - such as the already mentioned sputnikmusic, rateyourmusic, metalunderground , or just metal-archives. And it isn't about numbers, but about quick response time to new ideas, new bands/albums. On MS sometimes you must wait a few years, to eventually add your proposal. But I don't want to hate, it isn't the point. I just want to note for excessive bureaucracy/complication.

Admittedly, the suggestions system we have can take a while since we don't prioritize it. And we don't prioritize it because, as Marcel said, we are primarily a webzine. But if you ever find a band you really want added then you can always PM me about them, and as long as they have at least one album out then I will add them.

Quote:

But I see that we're trying to put more quality rather than quantity. But it would be great to have a both.

We are small, comparatively, because we are not trying to compete with those database sites like MA, Sputnik, RYM, MU, etc. Those sites are intended to be databases, whereas are we are intended to be a webzine, we just so happen to feature a forum community and a bonus database system. Our competitors are sites like Blabbermouth and Metal Sucks (webzine sites), not MA and Metal Underground (database sites). And that is what users like you and Pazdzioch are not understanding, Metal Storm is a WEBZINE, not a DATABASE.
----

28.07.2013 - 15:16
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by psykometal on 28.07.2013 at 14:53

We are small, comparatively, because we are not trying to compete with those database sites like MA, Sputnik, RYM, MU, etc

Okay, after heated debate you convinced me. But psykometal, a little more ambition, let us make MS the best metal-garden in cyberspace!
28.07.2013 - 15:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Góral on 28.07.2013 at 15:16

Written by psykometal on 28.07.2013 at 14:53

We are small, comparatively, because we are not trying to compete with those database sites like MA, Sputnik, RYM, MU, etc

Okay, after heated debate you convinced me. But psykometal, a little more ambition, let us make MS the best metal-garden in cyberspace!

its possible, but MA is full whit 1 demo band whit no img and links, ms dont need those bands
----

apos;'
[image]
28.07.2013 - 15:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
BTW about MA
I mark to delition Joe Satrianni bootleg album
Guy who add it use a blogpost source where even in main part was ''this is bootleg''

Guy submit and someone accept , Accept(band ) album, where MA aditional notes says ''this is bootleg'' and non official band link even mentioned it

Both I mark to delite , Zep did it
----

apos;'
[image]
28.07.2013 - 17:08
Fritillaria
Account deleted

MS datebase is good (even I dislike djent, prog, nu modern metal) but MS darebase is pretty good and its better then othersites , there huge errors and big mess in MS datebase, because many users submit all wrong, there planty dublications whit mussiacns, because many ppl submit whit out searching, there planty All English Song Titles Must Be Capitalized and also wrong codes violations,

Is it hard to read a bio, do it in propher way no it isnt,

Well but what I can say if ppl dont like football and football rules, they can go play basketball and addopt basketball rules

bTW if in football would be like you ask, non follow damn rules, it will be broken bnes and legs in th pitch

irrelevant but it gave me a hard laugh: for a moment I thought what was written above was written by Marcel and I was thinking,oh Marcel's writing changed , related to topic I should say I personally don't like MA databases, so mostly I go for biographies of bands in their own official websites or Facebook pages.
28.07.2013 - 19:52
psykometal
A staff guy...

We already are. But no harm in adding a few more fruits and vegetables from farmers all over the world from time to time. Just let me know when you find new produce and I'll be happy to plant the seed for you.

Glad we could come to an understanding and agreement. I used to feel the same as you guys when I first started editing several years ago, but after a similarly heated debate with the then Database Chief ,Troy, in PMs he finally made me realize as well that MS is not a database, it's a webzine with a bonus database feature. And once a user finally realizes and understands that, then they understand why we are smaller and stricter than the database sites.
----

28.07.2013 - 20:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 28.07.2013 at 19:52

We already are. But no harm in adding a few more fruits and vegetables from farmers all over the world from time to time. Just let me know when you find new produce and I'll be happy to plant the seed for you.

Glad we could come to an understanding and agreement. I used to feel the same as you guys when I first started editing several years ago, but after a similarly heated debate with the then Database Chief ,Troy, in PMs he finally made me realize as well that MS is not a database, it's a webzine with a bonus database feature. And once a user finally realizes and understands that, then they understand why we are smaller and stricter than the database sites.

I hade a same, unless in those days we who get extra perms it was like 400 albums pending. I remeber Ivan one day automatically accepted 190 something my eddet videos and there was like 400 albums pending

Now we have hmmm maybe 2-10 per day , when I got perms, there were like each chatagory 400 something pending
----

apos;'
[image]
15.08.2013 - 15:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I will post it here, in case if someone will see it and scream again MA is used like source, even it isnt but MA is correct
I will update Elisa "Over" de Palma profile whit her past bands, I PM her at her facebook and she confims it +

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1346589625062.2044885.1240931087&type=1&l=0871fa1252

to not make misunderstanding to someone
----

apos;'
[image]