08. Ageless Northern Spirit
09. The Infinity Of Time And Space
10. Natt
11. Phoenix [recording session rough mix] [digipak bonus]
12. Our World, It Rumbles Tonight [Deeper Low mix] [digipak bonus]
13. Natt [Wet mix] [digipak bonus]

Additional info
Produced by Satyr.

All music and lyrics by Satyr, except Phoenix: lyrics by Sivert Høyem.

Translation of Norwegian titles:
Tro og kraft - Faith and power
Natt - Night

Guest review by
R.Baldur
Rating:
To the lovers of the black metal style, you may end up hearing absolute noise (kidding). Undoubtedly, moving away from black metal elements in Norway is an unforgivable sin. But Satyricon's black metal work is so strong that they cannot be missed anywhere.

The band's eighth studio album is, bucking the trends of the band's classic albums, different from Norwegian black metal. The album is made within the general framework of black metal, yes, but with more diversity in guitar-playing techniques, and generally with a slower, more intuitive rhythm and decent audio quality. The guitar solos are heavier and almost all in one category, and the riffs do not play a key role on this album.

Read more ››
published 11.07.2017 | Comments (10)

Found in 11 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 38   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 802 users
20.06.2013 - 08:48
Metaalkop86
Account deleted
26.06.2013 - 19:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.06.2013 at 19:12

Looking forward. Still, diabolical?

Volcanblow.
27.06.2013 - 19:15
Rating: 8
Yuyu
24.08.2013 - 19:10
idlemute
Account deleted
A self titled album 20 years after the birth of the band is certainly a statement. I'm looking forward to it
02.09.2013 - 16:57
Góral
Combo Breaker
Exclusive, pre-release version you can listen here.
03.09.2013 - 13:05
Rating: 7
fosi
Very good album!!!
03.09.2013 - 19:13
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
If "They Rode On" pissed off Watain's fans, I can't imagine what "Phoenix" will make Satyricon fans do.
03.09.2013 - 19:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 03.09.2013 at 19:13

If "They Rode On" pissed off Watain's fans, I can't imagine what "Phoenix" will make Satyricon fans do.

But Satyricon have been pissing off fans for over 10 years now with their last 3 albums
03.09.2013 - 20:46
Unhealer
Eclecticist

I thought exactly the same thing on my first listen yesterday.
05.09.2013 - 04:42
Phoenix isn't a bad song...and Watain's They Rode On isn't either. its a new venture or simple experiment.
05.09.2013 - 04:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 03.09.2013 at 19:14

But Satyricon have been pissing off fans for over 10 years now with their last 3 albums

And they also pleased loads of them with them especially those fans of their who hate Dark Mediëval Times and started enjoying the band with Nemesis Divina
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.09.2013 - 12:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.09.2013 at 04:53

And they also pleased loads of them with them especially those fans of their who hate Dark Mediëval Times and started enjoying the band with Nemesis Divina

Yep, they pleased lots of people who like generic radio rock
06.09.2013 - 01:39
Vombatus
Potorro
I don't like the recent Satyricon albums. Shadowthrone and Dark Medieval Times are by far the best thing they've done.

Buuuut what I heard in Our World... and Phoenix is very promising. Maybe the music itself could be better, but the atmosphere created and the excellent production (just a itsy bitsy more bass drums would be perfect) sure compensates. I'll buy it without hearing all of it.
09.09.2013 - 12:11
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by A Misanthropist on 05.09.2013 at 04:42

Phoenix isn't a bad song...and Watain's They Rode On isn't either. its a new venture or simple experiment.

It's actually a very good song. The whole album is quite good in my opinion. Once you can move past the I-want-another-Nemesis-Divina delusion, you might learn to appreciate the music.

And Satyr is right about having to listen on a good sound system. The production is very "warm", for want of a better word. Good speakers bring out the "warmth".
09.09.2013 - 13:38
Rating: 6
musicalkaratekid
I'm going to get an awful amount of flak for saying this, but to me this is simply Satyricon going through the motions-For the most part, that is. I mean, 'Phoenix', 'Walker upon the wind' and 'Nekrohaven' are great songs which are a nice change from the monotony of 'Tro og Kraft' and 'Our world, it rumbles tonight', but three decent songs out of ten don't really do this album justice. And before anybody criticizes my viewpoint saying "listen to the album on the damn speakers lolz", I already have. Got the album today

All in all, I was expecting much more from this.
09.09.2013 - 15:59
Peco-
Very original Satyricon black metal.
Minimalistic and awesome. I do recommend!

From my point of view the best album of 2013 together with HATE - Solarflesh.
09.09.2013 - 22:33
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Well, I dig this one better than their last 3.
10.09.2013 - 00:11
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
Definitely a grower, I started to really appreciate it after five listenings.
10.09.2013 - 02:45
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
I love it
10.09.2013 - 03:16
Rating: 5
AtrumHiberna
I don't mind with a band to experiment and explore new grounds but hey, some experiments don't work out. some might even explode in your face.
I don't think I have much to expect from this band anymore. but i will keep checking anything new from the band in chance for any pleasant surprise.
----
This is my worship, this is my path...
10.09.2013 - 13:46
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Songs are short, simple, slow, predictable and generally boring. The general sound (production) of this album is unoriginal. I was hoping for something much better... Something faster, more complex. What happened to songwriting from Rebel Extravaganza or even Volcano? Where is it? Why these new songs are so much chorus-oriented?
10.09.2013 - 22:53
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
Written by Hex_Omega on 10.09.2013 at 13:46

Songs are short, simple, slow, predictable and generally boring. The general sound (production) of this album is unoriginal. I was hoping for something much better... Something faster, more complex. What happened to songwriting from Rebel Extravaganza or even Volcano? Where is it? Why these new songs are so much chorus-oriented?

Short?
-> The Infinity Of Time And Space: 7:47
-> Nocturnal Flare: 6:38
-> Phoenix: 6:32
-> Tro Og Kraft: 6:01
-> Our World, It Rumbles Tonight: 5:12

Half of the songs are above the 5 minute mark, there are only 3 short songs in the album.
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
11.09.2013 - 13:15
VPeter
Decided to give this band an other go with the release of the new album. This album is an overall improvement of the last 2. Some of the problems of the last 2 albums still persist however, the same toothless production ruins some of the more extreme songs. The song writing is also too laid back. I think Phoenix is actually one of the better songs of the album because it fits the production more, a solid rock song. The people who want an other Nemesis Divina still kinda get it their way, Tro og Kraft, Our World It Rumbles tonight and Nocturnal Flare have a Nemesis Divina vibe also some of the better songs of the album. it is a decent record but you don't miss anything if you choose to skip it.
11.09.2013 - 14:41
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Dark Forever on 10.09.2013 at 22:53

Short?

Walk the Path of Sorrow 8:18
Dominions of Satyricon 9:25
Immortality Passion 8:23
Tied In Bronze Chains 10:56
Black Lava 14:31

Sorry but the only "long" song on new album for me is The Infinity of Time and Space. Rest of the songs are 5-6 minutes and they are definitely not long at all (for me).
11.09.2013 - 22:18
Warman
Erotic Stains
My first impression was: boring. It grew on me after a while, there's some great parts here and there. Overall, it's nice background music.
----
26.09.2013 - 21:22
No no no no fuck no
29.09.2013 - 03:27
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Warman on 11.09.2013 at 22:18

Overall, it's nice background music.

I'll go batshit crazy if anything like this holy Godawful shit runs in the background for me. And no, this is not bgm.

@JOOE Radio rock pleasing black metal? I cant imagine if that is really the fact. This is shit and it should be labeled/treated as such. No more.
29.09.2013 - 23:41
terrorSathan
This is a very good album, better than the age of nero in my opinion. Good on ya satyricon
04.10.2013 - 00:50
Rating: 9
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
I love mid-tempo heavy songs with black vocals and atmosphere just like "Satyricon"
My final rating "8.7" .
04.04.2014 - 14:09
Nereus
So, I will probably be attacked for this! But I stumbled across Satyricon when I was but a wee metalhead, and quickly decided black metal wasn't for me. I decided to revisit them recently to see if my tastes had changed - and phoenix was the first song I listened to. I REALLY like this song, the tone and warmth of the guitars are among some of the best I've ever heard - I usually reserve that for blues artists. However much of their catalog is a bit too extreme and rough for my liking, are there any other tracks that are slower, more bluesy, such as Phoenix? I'm really disappointed Satyr isn't performing more material outside of this band as I could fall in love with that guitar.

I'd appreciate any advice you can provide! Either album suggestions for the most departed from their usual dark, heavy and unforgiving or for individual song suggestions.

Hits total: 16744 | This month: 34