Metal Storm logo
Machine Head - Unveil New Bassist

After an extensive search for candidates to replace Adam Duce who left the band, Machine Head have now announced that Jared MacEachern was selected as their new bass player. Jared has already begun rehearsals for the upcoming Rockstar Mayhem US summer festival tour and will soon relocate from North Carolina to Northern California to begin pre-production for Machine Head's upcoming 8th studio album. You can watch one of his audition videos below and his Metallica t-shirt.

Some fans might remember MacEachern from 2007's The Black Tyranny Tour, playing with his previous band Sanctity. Machine Head, challenged to find a fill-in bass player for the North American tour after an injury sidelined their then-4-stringer, also found themselves in need of someone to sing harmony with singer/guitarist Robb Flynn.

The band watched more than 400 video submissions and made a short list of 7, each of whom took a trip to Oakland to perform a handful of songs in person and spend the day hanging with the band.

Frontman Robb Flynn reflects: "We really wanted a guy that was hungry for this, someone who could live and breathe this with us. Dave would joke around that we didn't want to get someone too green that'd be like 'oh my god, is this a dressing room?!', but we also didn't want someone who was too jaded by the whole thing and 'been there done that'. We thought the perfect guy would be someone who'd paid some dues, who had done 9 or 10 crummy van tours, and wasn't broken by that, but inspired to keep going and play music, and in many ways that was Jared. I mean hell, the guy's only rode in a bus for two nights, one of which was with us! It brings a really cool level of appreciation to the table, and it shows where his heart's at."

Jared seems excited: "I'm ready to get to work! This tour is going to kick ass and the new tunes are heavy as shit! I'm SO looking forward to making good music with good dudes!"

Source: machinehead1.com
Band profile: Machine Head
Posted: 24.06.2013 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 9   Visited by: 98 users
24.06.2013 - 20:54
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Playing bass with a pick? BLASPHEMY I SAY!!!!
*let the butthurt commence
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
24.06.2013 - 21:11
LICH

The guy looks suiting for the job, so what if he plays with a pick ? I don't play guitar with my fingers and people don't really hack me for that
24.06.2013 - 23:07
henrihell93

Written by LICH on 24.06.2013 at 21:11

The guy looks suiting for the job, so what if he plays with a pick ? I don't play guitar with my fingers and people don't really hack me for that

But guitar is meant to be played with a pick. Bass is supposed to be played with the fingers, and it sounds better.
24.06.2013 - 23:28
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by henrihell93 on 24.06.2013 at 23:07

But guitar is meant to be played with a pick. Bass is supposed to be played with the fingers, and it sounds better.

----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
24.06.2013 - 23:38
Xylem

Written by henrihell93 on 24.06.2013 at 23:07

No, both instruments can be played both ways and there is no right or wrong way to do it. I play bass with both fingers and pick and I wouldn't say either sounds better than the other, it just depends on the song and the type of sound you're after. I find I prefer a pick when I'm playing more aggressive music as it has a sharper attack and a more powerful presence in the mix but fingers are always good for a softer, more rock than metal style tone. I also find it easier to play intricate pieces with fingers but for straight line metal style tremolo playing, the pick wins out again because it's very easy to play very fast using a pick.
25.06.2013 - 00:59
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Hope it works out well with this new guy. Looking forward to a new Machine Head album, whenever it lands. And then another tour to Australia!
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
25.06.2013 - 01:11
psykometal
A staff guy...
Very nice. I always liked Jared with Sanctity and was rather sad when he left. Glad to see he's staying in the metal scene. I wonder if he is still going to work with that Moldive band he joined a couple years ago...?

Strange to see him with such short hair too.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

25.06.2013 - 02:53
Machiavelli
Account deleted
I play my bass with a pick for stronger attack... I also like sriracha on my fries.
25.06.2013 - 03:21
sbgmetal

It jus looks more cool overall all to play bass with fingers instead of a pick

Hits total: 2237 | This month: 3