10. Captive Bolt Pistol
11. Mount Of Execution
12. Intensive Battery Brooding [limited Digipak bonus]

The Best Death Metal Album Of 2013
Top 20 albums of 2013: 16

Additional info
Produced by Colin Richardson.
Mixed by Andy Sneap.

The band recorded four additional songs during the Surgical Steel sessions that were not included on the album: "A Wraith In The Apparatus", "Intensive Battery Brooding", "Zochrot", and "Livestock Marketplace".

Guest review by
Deadmeat
Rating:
17 years have passed since the last Carcass album. In the meantime, the band suffered a lot of problems: 11 years of inactivity, health issues, changes in musical direction for most members, etc. Finally, in 2013 they are back in form with Surgical Steel. The new album is closer to Heartwork compared to the other Carcass albums, which is surely a good thing as Heartwork is one of the best and most important (melodic) death metal albums ever made.

Read more ››
published 30.03.2015 | Comments (4)

Most probably the best comeback album since 2004. Whichever Carcass album you used to like, you will find somehting for you here.

Daniell's picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: BloodTears, ScreamingSteelUS
Bandcamp music player

Found in 74 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 107   Visited by: 1773 users
09.08.2013 - 15:51
Rating: 10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.08.2013 at 13:39
Death... The Brutal Way was their reunion album and not Deathhamer

Oh, I knew that! It's just that I find Deathhammer to be a slightly better album. ...The Brutal Way is a good album too though.
13.08.2013 - 12:59
D. Monique

Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.08.2013 at 21:54

Written by Angelic Storm on 08.08.2013 at 21:46
But it's definitely one of the best reunion albums from a classic metal band that I've ever heard. Tempo Of The Damned is the only other one I can think of off-hand where an old band has reunited for a new album, and it deserves a place amongst their classic material.

Asphyx and Autopsy would like a chat with you.
Then again, Autopsy's album was too long, their real return to force is the latest one!

I suppose that you haven't heard the new Gorguts.
13.08.2013 - 13:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by D. Monique on 13.08.2013 at 12:59
I suppose that you haven't heard the new Gorguts.

Never really cared about them... but I'll re-check their older stuff as well as the latest.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.08.2013 - 14:16
D. Monique

Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.08.2013 at 13:23

Never really cared about them... but I'll re-check their older stuff as well as the latest.

Maybe you should start with the new album. I think it's a bit more accessible than Obscura (probably their best release) but more interesting than their early stuff. I have heard only the leaked version of the new album but I will definitely buy the original CD as soon as it is officially released.
15.08.2013 - 03:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Relistened the album a couple of times again. Although the music is quite okay (not great though) it sounds too sterile and is missing the sharp and rough edges which it needs to e better.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.08.2013 - 12:12
Rating: 8
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.08.2013 at 03:51

Relistened the album a couple of times again. Although the music is quite okay (not great though) it sounds too sterile and is missing the sharp and rough edges which it needs to e better.

You and your sharp edges
27.08.2013 - 21:43
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Daniell on 27.08.2013 at 12:12

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.08.2013 at 03:51

You and your sharp edges

So many puns
01.09.2013 - 15:21
Rating: 9
musicalkaratekid

Just heard the album for the first time. It would be fair to say that my jimmies are rustled.
05.09.2013 - 17:43
Written by musicalkaratekid on 01.09.2013 at 15:21

Just heard the album for the first time. It would be fair to say that my jimmies are rustled.

Carcass tends to do such things to one's jimmies.

Fucking great album! Been looking for a favourite 2013 album, just found it.
07.09.2013 - 05:05
Rating: 7
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I've been meaning to get into Carcass' work sometime, I should check this out!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
07.09.2013 - 09:32
Rating: 6
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Album streaming.

07.09.2013 - 21:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
As comback album wery powerful. Might be hight in the ranks, pity it will be ovareted of fan boys, but stil deacent DM peace, seems band knows what they are doing,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.09.2013 - 23:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah not as impressive as I was expecting. The single they released was really good but so far the others tracks aren't living up to it, and a lot is lost in that shiny production.
07.09.2013 - 23:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 07.09.2013 at 23:04

... and a lot is lost in that shiny production.

Don't let Daniell read that part But I totally agree with you. That shiny production took away the edge/
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.09.2013 - 01:00
Lit.
Account deleted
Production is a little pale, but it's a minor error in an otherwise prime cut album.
08.09.2013 - 07:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.09.2013 at 23:51

Don't let Daniell read that part But I totally agree with you. That shiny production took away the edge/

I almost let it go in that song they released, but everything is so forward in and in your face that any depth a more organic production job could, and should, have had is lost pretty quickly. It's just flat.
08.09.2013 - 10:42
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Tracks 6 and 9 are my favourites from this. A solid album overall.
08.09.2013 - 17:18
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 08.09.2013 at 01:00

Production is a little pale, but it's a minor error in an otherwise prime cut album.

Yep... Could the production be better? Absolutely. However, musically the album is very strong, and the production definitely isn't weak enough to seriously hamper the listening experience. Different types of metal suits different types of production, and seeing as Surgical Steel is like an amalgamation of all the different sonic aspects of Carcass' past, producing it in a way that would enhance the whole variety of it's sonic qualities would be very difficult. It's the more aggressive, grind-like parts which suffers the most with this type of production, but those parts only make up maybe 15%-20% of the music on the album, which is why I don't find the production to be hugely detrimental to the album.

Ideally, the album would have a sound similar to that of Necroticism, where the production is clear and dynamic enough for the proggy and more melodic parts not to sound buried, but has just enough of a raw edge to give the harsher parts real bite and incisiveness.

In the end though, I think the album is a success due to the great songwriting which is featured on the album. It's certainly a better album than Swansong at any rate, and I'd probably put it just above Heartwork too. I won't count Reek, seeing as the bad production hampers that album so badly it's impossible to really judge the music itself fairly.
08.09.2013 - 17:49
DyingWorld

I'm listening to the stream of the full album right now and I'm impressed. Definitely not a bullshit comeback.
09.09.2013 - 05:48
The Galactician

The more I listen to this the more I love it. Welcome back, Carcass! Necrotism and Heartwork were soundtracks to my younger years and I'd say this is right up there in terms of quality.

I was extremely lucky to see them back in 1992 in Berkeley, California. Crossing my fingers that they tour for this sweet puppy because they are sooooo good live.
09.09.2013 - 15:23
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I'm going to have to agree with Marcel and Joe on this one. The production really takes away any edge this album would have had, and the songwriting isn't anything that really wowed me either. Probably a low 6 as it stands, but more listens could push that down. I won't call this disappointing, because I wasn't really expecting anything special...
10.09.2013 - 05:21
Rulatore

Raw production can't save average songwriting
13.09.2013 - 13:33
nille

My God!!
I am very happy to see that after years of opening old group will enter the studio
13.09.2013 - 13:35
nille

Still have not heard the new album, "Today you will listen ..
I think it is a good album
I hope
13.09.2013 - 17:40
garmling
Account deleted
It is good, but it is nowhere near Necroticism. To me it sounds like a watered down version of Heartwork. Anyway it is still enjoyable. Nice to hear something new from these guys after so many years...

btw, there is no Grindcore on this one for sure, someone please reedit style section!
14.09.2013 - 17:05
quisableed
Account deleted
My brain has just been fucked, this album will be among the classics when i listen it a few more times
15.09.2013 - 22:33
Rating: 7
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
This one is definitely a grower, but for me it's bound to be an album of the year contender with a few more listens.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
16.09.2013 - 00:20
JÄY
Metal slave
This is my album of the year so far, for sure..... and def. my favorite Carcass release.
16.09.2013 - 15:40
Rating: 8
Daniell
_爱情_
Some people complain about songwriting here. While I can imagine (even though I disagree 100%) that the production may be too sharp and crisp for those who loved Symphonies of Sickness, I'm surprised some people find the music subpar. This is Carcass at their best, incorporating elements of Necroticism (quite a few, fortunately) and Swansong (much fewer, also fortunately) into Heartwork. Of course, those who have different preferences, with contest the "their best" part...

While I was waiting for Surgical Steel to come out/leak, I did a thorough recap of their back catalogue. Over and over again... If I were to rank the albums, it'd look as follows:
Reek of Putrefaction - 6.5
Swansong - 7.7
Symphonies of Sickness - 7.8
Surgical Steel - 8.8
Heartwork - 9.2
Necroticism - 9.5

What is truly great about Necroticism in my opinion is the way it alloys brutality with catchiness and subtlety.
Heartwork sells me on switching the proportions - more catchiness, less brutality, to almost equally brilliant effect.
Surgical Steel is a perfect re-working of these ideas. But 20 years later. If you think that any band can be as good as they were two decades ago, you've got another think coming. Panta rhei guys.
17.09.2013 - 01:26
Rating: 9
musicalkaratekid

Possibly the album of the year for me. 'Thrasher's abbatoir' and 'Captive bolt pistol' rip my ears apart then lull me to sleep with those melodic leads. It's certainly good to have Carcass back:banger:

Hits total: 39278 | This month: 40